Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

On 8/21/2022 at 7:19 AM, FrFan said:

If they keep on charging and getting that much for a beer that sadly means there are a lot of idiots out there

Fixed it for ya. ;) 

And anyone that pays that much for a single beer clearly doesn't know what they're doing. The professionals get snookered in the parking lot starting around 6 AM. :cheers:

We call it Shots At Dawn. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, TK said:

Fixed it for ya. ;) 

And anyone that pays that much for a single beer clearly doesn't know what they're doing. The professionals get snookered in the parking lot starting around 6 AM. :cheers:

200w.gif

22 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Time to break the porta-potties out of storage!

Question: will they be retiring Sonny's actual Redskins jersey, or some stupid Commanders jersey?

They’ve been in place since June for the two concerts, monster truck event, and training camp practice and preseason gamer, so never fear :) 

good news is there won’t be any reason Sonny or his family will have to pose in front of a street sign, so that’ll be one less embarrassment 

also, I’m surprised they gave more than 3 days notice. Almost as if this one is being planned well in advance instead of being used as a distraction ;) 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Like 1

They are going to retire it at the last game of the season when it's winter? Is there nobody in that entire building who thinks about things like..... "What if we're a 3 win team and nobody but Dallas fans are there?", "What if it's snowing?", "What if its 20 degrees out?"

They should have been ready for this all offseason to do it week 1.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Could they have picked a worse game to retire the number? Sonny turns 88 today. Lets hope he even makes it to that point to begin with. Why they wouldnt have done it in the September game against the Eagles is mind blowing to me. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Could they have picked a worse game to retire the number? Sonny turns 88 today. Lets hope he even makes it to that point to begin with. Why they wouldnt have done it in the September game against the Eagles is mind blowing to me. 

Yeah, I hate saying it, but Sam Huff cashed out his chips a year younger. It would be nice if the team picked an early enough date to keep the guest of honor healthy and comfortable instead of a freezing day in the middle of winter.

Plus, the Eagles game would actually be perfect for it considering he played for the Eagles first. Surely they could get someone from the Eagles to say a few kind words about him.

Edited by NickyJ

39 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

They are going to retire it at the last game of the season when it's winter? Is there nobody in that entire building who thinks about things like..... "What if we're a 3 win team and nobody but Dallas fans are there?", "What if it's snowing?", "What if its 20 degrees out?"

They really don't think these things out at all. Its awesome they are finally getting Sonny but they again dont think of every angle.

13 hours ago, TK said:

Fixed it for ya. ;) 

also, just don't stop drinking the night before...you can sleep monday at work

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Retiring Sonny should have been done many years ago...

2 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Question: will they be retiring Sonny's actual Redskins jersey, or some stupid Commanders jersey?

That will be a Commanders jersey. Redskins do not exist anymore.

4 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

also, just don't stop drinking the night before...you can sleep monday at work

Reminds me of something that happened to me some weeks ago.

After spending my Holidays doing concrete and tiles, my colleagues told me I should be glad to get back to work so I could rest!

• Thumb up 1

I was ready to come in and only compliment the organization on this Sonny news. But, now that I've read a couple opinions, I guess the date of the retirement is a little odd. Having said that...I can't drill them for it. Clearly it's not a rushed/emergency thing or they wouldn't have picked a date so far in advance and they WOULD have picked the Eagles game. If the choice of game is "bad" then all you can really chalk it up to is difference of opinion. I'd say, look at the other side of the coin...what if it's a meaningful game with division or playoff implications (being QB'd by another Philly-to-DC QB)? 

Happy for Sonny! He will always be part of the Redskins soundtrack of my youth and, no matter how much I've soured on the organization in the past couple years, those will always remain great memories to me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Thanks, I didn't know that about Campbell...so it looks like there is precedent. Still, it's a bit odd to me to retire Sonny's jersey as a Commander 48 years after he last played!

Yep, definitely something that should’ve been done a long time ago. The team probably just wants more butts in seats, can’t really fault them for that I guess. But still should’ve been retired long ago 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Thanks, I didn't know that about Campbell...so it looks like there is precedent. Still, it's a bit odd to me to retire Sonny's jersey as a Commander 48 years after he last played!

Like they could give a crap...

2 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

also, I’m surprised they gave more than 3 days notice. Almost as if this one is being planned well in advance instead of being used as a distraction ;) 

They're planning to fire Ron Rivera 3 days prior to the retiring ceremony, hoping everything will be about retiring Sonny's, not Ron's firing.

qe6mworflxxvln226h2o.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

The tradition was only Sammy Baugh’s number officially retired. Once they added Bobby Mitchell, it opened up the flood gates. I am sure we will see 1 a year. Maybe 28 next year or 81.

• Like 1

Rings of fame are fine, retirements of numbers go overboard. At some point, you still need numbers to assign to people. Create a museum of the organization first and honor them there. All jersey retirements are well intentioned, but we're going to soon hear conversations about who is next. At some point it must stop because the goalpost moves from very great players to great players to good players, etc. Ultimately the only reason jersey retirements are a thing with this organization is to generate some positive PR. It's not completely altruistic. 

• Like 2

On 8/20/2022 at 12:35 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

@Voice_of_Reason

lol, your rant about the local media's coverage of the team works better here IMO than the Wentz thread.

Fine.  They  mostly suck and they are getting worse.  Especially Sheehan.  Though the worst local guy by miles is Lovero.  More on him later. 

"Just some balanced reporting would be a nice change of pace.  I think you get that with Keim, Standig, Michael Phillips. I also think Logan Paulsen does a good job with the X's and O's.  I personally like Bram, and on his radio show, he is not afraid to be critical of the team, which is entirely different than Baghdad Larry and his Skintagables. But even with him, I always consider the source, because he IS the "Voice of the Commanders."  You sometimes get "fair" on JP's podcast. (Which I still really like because the three of them have really great chemistry, and it's entertaining.)"

Yes, I did. 

You said this above.  You talked about Grant.  Grant should actually be your cup of team because while he doesn't like Dan, his mantra is suck up and live with it the best you can and he still loves going to games and lives and dies with each one.  Some see him in a negative light largely because he didn't have Bruce's back on the Kirk negotiation.  Finlay has actually been accused of being a homer, even Thom suggested it about him., let alone mostly negative  I don't think Finlay is Larry Michaelish but he's also far from a constant cyncial-negative guy by a long shot.

I haven't listened to Grant recently, but when I turned into Grant and Danny, it was all negative about everything all the time.  Maybe he's changed.  I dunno.  

Thom is a low-life, know-nothing, self-absorbed, click-bait ass hat. He should have his press credentials revoked from every team, and his HOF vote taken away for going on public airwaves (or however you classify podcasts) and saying he absolutely would lie and make up stories and "the end justifies the means."  Forget what "the ends" are you CAN'T have a media member saying that.  They lose all credibility. 

He picked on Finley because he had an issue with NBCSportsWashington being a team outlet, and not being "tough" in their questioning and thought because JP didn't ALWAYS spin everything negatively, he was just being a mouthpiece for the team.  Though when Thom accused him, he hadn't started his show with BMitch yet.  That changed him.  

I like the Finley Podcast, as I said.  They have good chemistry, and all seem to have differing views.  I think JP has started to dwell more on the cycle of negativity recently, but it's not too bad.  

You  say you want more positivity from the media about how they protray the team but not to the Larry Michael extent.  Reading your posts over time, the impression I get is you want a bit of a Larry Michael brush about Dan and the state of the team with fans, that is, the global overall take about everything -- you seem to want a positive brush on that.    You've said on another post that you buy that the days of Dan interferring are over and believe that the culture is set by Ron not Dan.  I think if I had that same perspective, I'd want the media to back off too -- thinking hey Dan has finally changed whether he wanted to or not and the culture isn't set by Dan any more so let it go and embrace the change.   But I don't buy that personally.  I don't think the local media does either (and they have connections in that FO so they are more in the know than us).  Hence, you aren't getting the let it all go vibe that you are seeking. 

I don't really want a brush of any type.  I want facts.  If there are facts, report them.  Give opinions of the facts as they are known.  Don't speculate about things without facts in order to create a story where none exists.  I want the reporters to do the investigative reporting thing, and report what they find out. Then the talking head types to react to it and give their opinions. Both on the football side and the non-football side.  

Give them **** when they deserve it, and praise when they deserve it.  That's all I ask.  That hasn't been the tactic taken by most in the media for a long, long time.  

I'm just going to leave it there.  

But, just to be CRYSTAL CLEAR, because you keep putting words in my mouth, and making "inferences" and stuff.  What I have said is I believe there is no reporting from anybody that Dan is interfering in football ops RIGHT NOW.  I have always been VERY SPECIFIC in that statement. It's carefully worded, to include "reporting" and "right now."  I also have caveated that statement EVERY SINGLE TIME I have made it that could change at any time.  And I have said I believe he still is involved in non-football ops.  

However, as of now, I don't think he is overruling Ron, forcing players on Ron, or limiting Ron. I think this because there hasn't been one leaked anything in 2+ years to indicate otherwise.

I think Ron is in charge of football ops, and it's Ron's show to run.  For now.  Will it stay that way?  If I were a betting man (which I was, but not anymore), I would say, no, it won't stay that way UNLESS Ron wins enough, just like Torre won enough, to keep Steinbrenner at bay for a decade.  You have said we won't know until the stories come out after Ron is gone.  I will grant you that.  But we heard about some of the bigger interferences before the coaches left. Hell, we knew Dan was making the Haskins pick BEFORE he made the pick.  So for RIGHT NOW, I'm saying, for better or worse, Ron is running the football side without interference.  

I have absolutely no illusions that Dan is NOT involved on the business side.  I'm sure he is, in some way, because it's his business. 

But at the same time, based on the reporting from Keim, Standig and JP, he's not around very much anymore.  In the 00's, he was in the building all the time, and was the "center of the party."  That doesn't seem to be the case anymore.  I'm sure he talks to his direct reports, Ron and Jason, and I'm sure he has involvement. I'm sure he makes decisions.    But based on what we've heard, he's not as hands on with other people in the building.  There was just a story that came out where the Commanders is now a pretty good place to work.  That wasn't the case when he was around a lot.  Take that for what you will.  Is he still going to make stupid decisions?  Yeah, I think so.  Does he effect the day-to-day culture in the building the way he used to?  I don't think so.  

Now, will THAT stay the same?  Same answer: I don't know, but if I was betting, I would say no.  

NY media is much tougher, ditto Philly and Boston than the DC media.  But yeah DC sports media isn't like name that midwestern more laid back media crew. 

I don't think any of those media teams are as negative about absolutely everything.  They might ask tough questions of the athletes when they goof up, or the coach. We have folks here who are unquestionably on an agenda, and I think that is different than in other markets. At least, based on what I see and read.... Maybe not.  I don't consume local sports news in other markets with the same volume as I do for ours.  

And FWIW, if the Cleveland Media, or the Vegas Media, or the Houston media, or the Dallas media decided they wanted to absolutely go scorched earth on those organizations, they would turn up an awful lot of stuff on them.  Or the Indy media for that matter.  But the Indy media seems more likely to sell Irsay his next joint than to try and investigate him for anything.