Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

I knew people were fleeing like rats from a sinking ship, but holy **** that’s a lot of VP’s and other executive level people leaving in a very short period of time. Are they even replacing these people at this pace, with Snyder on the way out? Or are they giving field promotions to mailroom interns :ols:

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Digesting narratives from multiple reporters I trust, its a pretty strong indication that Ron legitimately wanted to move on from Scott.

Sheehan in his podcast speculated they may go the cheaper route at offensive coordinator per Dan and run with Zampese who is already on staff.

Keim says the people he's talked to are mixed on Shurmur with some saying he's too.  Logan Paulsen said he's talked to people he knows around the league and got good vibes about Shurmur -- likes he's from the Andy Reid tree, he heard he's a good teacher, good at using plays early on to set up plays later in the game.  Thinks he's an excellent candidate for this job.

Not sure why all the media is making the cost of a new OC such a boogeyman. The average OC gets paid between $1M-$3M a year and afaik, you don't have to put the funds in an escrow for guaranteed payments like you have to do for coaches. If you sign a guy up for a 2 year deal and fire him after 1 year, you are on the hook for ~$2M in dead money that the new owner eats in 2024. That is totally insignificant.

Shurmur is going to have good backchannels to understand this situation better. Castillo is his boy from those Philly days and his son was on the practice squad here last year

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, method man said:

Not sure why all the media is making the cost of a new OC such a boogeyman. The average OC gets paid between $1M-$3M a year and afaik, you don't have to put the funds in an escrow for guaranteed payments like you have to do for coaches.

I didn't get that either.

If the money was really so tight that you have to pinch pennies to hire a new guy, they never would have fired Turner and paid off the remainder of his contract since that will be in addition to whatever we pay the new guy.

They have the money to bring a guy in, otherwise they would never have made a move that doubles the real cost of the OC.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Willingham who has a late show on 106.7 and was at camp last summer said just now from what he recalls and what he's heard Zampese loves Howell, gushes about him. And the relationship between Zampese and Howell is a 10 out of 10.

That's great and Howell should be our starting QB with Zampese continuing to be his QB and the teams QB coach.  Thomas Brown should be seriously considered and hopefully hired as our OC.  

5 hours ago, RWJ said:

That's great and Howell should be our starting QB with Zampese continuing to be his QB and the teams QB coach.  Thomas Brown should be seriously considered and hopefully hired as our OC.  

Not sure who I want.  But if it ends up Zampese, the more I think about it, I'd be OK with it -- not because I want him to be that guy but to me its telling as for Dan selling.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, method man said:

Not sure why all the media is making the cost of a new OC such a boogeyman. The average OC gets paid between $1M-$3M a year and afaik, you don't have to put the funds in an escrow for guaranteed payments like you have to do for coaches. If you sign a guy up for a 2 year deal and fire him after 1 year, you are on the hook for ~$2M in dead money that the new owner eats in 2024. That is totally insignificant.

Shurmur is going to have good backchannels to understand this situation better. Castillo is his boy from those Philly days and his son was on the practice squad here last year

Haslett has just one year left on his contract when Jay arrived yet according to some beat reporters Dan hated the idea of eating his contract and Jay had him at hello with lets keep him. 

Dan is famous in recent years for hating to eat contracts and being cheap as heck with assistant coaches.  Jay talked about losing assistant coahces to other teams. 

As far as what went public, there was a story about Aubrey Pleasant, a dude liked by the HC and the players, he wanted a small bump in his pay, Dan wasn't willing to do it, so they lost him to the Rams over money and not over a heck of a lot of money.

JLC talked about how Dan was cheap as to what he was willing to pay for FO people compared to the league.  That story came out when they were looking to replace Scott and in the end decided to promote Doug instead.

Ron referenced not going to Richmond for training camp in part because it was too expensive

Sheehan mentioned hearing they were cutting back this season on expenses on the road for players.

Heck the whole blow up with the team -- team name and drag on fight happened in part because Dan didn't want to pay the normal dividends to the minority shares, clamiing declining revenue.

The idea that he's warming up to it now on the premise of actually selling the team.  Plenty of evidence that even in normal times a million here or a million there yeah at times bothers Dan.

So to eat Scott's contract is big for Dan.   While I like that it happened, it would actually feel very Dan to offset that by doing the cheapest or one of the cheapest measures to make up for it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not sure who I want.  But if it ends up Zampese, the more I think about it, I'd be OK with it -- not because I want him to be that guy but to me its telling as for Dan selling.

With all that being said...and im not saying I disagree, but it appears they are doing a pretty extensive interview process for OC. Flies in the face of hiring Zmpese because he is the cheap and convenient option. Just don't see Ron going along with the process knowing that Zampese is the guy all along.

3 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

With all that being said...and im not saying I disagree, but it appears they are doing a pretty extensive interview process for OC. Flies in the face of hiring Zmpese because he is the cheap and convenient option. Just don't see Ron going along with the process knowing that Zampese is the guy all along.

Dan signs the checks for now. He will

hire whoever Dan is willing to pay for.

If he doesn’t like it, ****ing quit.

7 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Agree.  From that perspective a Zampese hiring would come off strange.  It would feel like money drove the decision.  And Dan has to sign off on it.

3 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Dan signs the checks for now. He will

hire whoever Dan is willing to pay for.

If he doesn’t like it, ****ing quit.

I don't know too many people who would walk away from 10 million dollars over a dispute.  So that's why Rivera and none of the other coaches I assumed quit despite of a disagreement that they had with Dan which came out later on. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  From that perspective a Zampese hiring would come off strange.  It would feel like money drove the decision.  And Dan has to sign off on it.

I don't know too many people who would walk away from 10 million dollars over a dispute.  So that's why Rivera and none of the other coaches I assumed quit despite of a disagreement that they had with Dan which came out later on. 

Its frustrating because we can talk about scenarios, many of which make total sense, but at the end of the day Dan is the wild card and can negate any conventional wisdom that anyone puts forward. In a normal hiring process what we speculate may make sense, but at the end of the day...Dan. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris 44 said:

I can also argue that if you are trying to sell the trajectory of the team and want to defend the offense, you can say the offense will be better because...

Who knows?  But Dan being cheap with assistant hires is well documented.  Dan on everything is a wildcard because as some have said he's impulsive as heck.

My point is Zampese would be a weird hire considering how deep they are delving into this -- that the explanation that would make the most sense to me for it is they are being cheap.

• Like 2

The Rivera Revilers will rant like they do if they hire Zampese, but I don't think Snyder is going to approve any more expensive hire, I would bet dollars to donuts that it's Zampese--which will suck for next year, but long-term might be better. Howell--if is he is the guy--won't have to learn 4 systems in 4 years. That is a great way to stunt someone's growth.

Edited by Riggo#44
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Willingham who has a late show on 106.7 and was at camp last summer said just now from what he recalls and what he's heard Zampese loves Howell, gushes about him. And the relationship between Zampese and Howell is a 10 out of 10.

How many darn Vice Presidents does this team have? It's not that big a company.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, profusion said:

How many darn Vice Presidents does this team have? It's not that big a company.

Guessing the “VP Corp Partnerships” title is a fake VP title. Sometimes you give individual sellers that title to help them hold more gravitas in a room

3 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

What's Sherman Lewis up to these days? Snyder could save a bunch of $$$ if he brought him back...

It has been reported that he has been on the TB12 nutrition program for several years now and is about to make a comeback. He was 3rd in line for the Heisman back in the day so don't count him out!!! Maybe he could be Washingtons RB3.

I go back to Allbright's report of Bienemy as OC.  The longer this drags out, the more interesting this could get.  Now, Lynn is a candidate.  There could be many more just to play this out.  Once we know the outcome of the Chief's season as Bienemy is free to interview, that may be telling.  It may mean squat. It's worth keeping an eye on.  

• Thumb up 1