Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

Your body shot comparison is perfect imo. You have to set up the knockout like you said, no billionaire on earth has a glass jaw so to speak, no matter how pathetic they are personally and professionally. Their resources are nearly infinite and the financial gravity well of power around them is just too great.

People who say “negative things that hurt the org’s reputation but aren’t big enough to take him down alone aren’t worth it, it just extends the bad aura around the team as Snyder sticks around” are completely missing the point imo. The point being that a lot of times a smoking gun is found or a person with knowledge of the smoking gun comes forward BECAUSE of the slow and steady build-up of smaller incidents that encourage people to follow their consciences (or their fear of being found out independently) and come forward. Friedman himself said that after the women came forward he felt the moral urgency to come forward and stop lying for Snyder. You want to build more of that atmosphere and keep the pressure on, that pervasive feeling that every week something bigger is dropping is invaluable to encouraging others to come forward. And eventually it will be the person that knows enough to make something stick. 

That's it.  That's exactly right.  The more people come forward to pile on, the easier it is for others who might have been too nervous to in the first place.

• Like 4

Y'know, I don't criticize anyone who still watches Snyder's franchise hoping that the dead body will somehow come to life. I did that for two decades.

I can't do it anymore. 

As far as I'm concerned now, the Redskins went defunct in 2000.

The Commanders aren't my team and can never be until Snyder goes. I'm give em--and the NFL--another chance if he's gone.

It's actually kind of nice having those fall afternoons full of pleasant possibilities again.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

To be a fan of this team, you have to compartmentalize and stab yourself in the eye a few times a year. Blinking doesn't obscure enough. 

On the one hand, the Rivera story: good coach, decent man, and cancer survivor is a good one to rally around. Likewise, we have some players on the team that are easy to root for as players and not a lot of villains. However, if you move outside the field, it's nothing but radioactive waste, broken glass, brain eating zombies.

I don't have it in me to root against this team or turn away, but I find it harder and harder to amp myself up. Even a great play doesn't elicit that excitement it once did. I think it's important for me to like the team and to believe in them. Sports is an escape so I like to think of my team as the good guys and if I can't do that it weakens the experience a lot. Some people root for the Joker or for Godzilla to trample Tokyo. I want the hero to win. 

The off field stuff sometimes makes it hard to picture us as the heroes. And that's why Snyder should leave.

A team is a part of a community as much as it is a privately owned business. If he's a fan of the team, the best thing he can restore it, even if it amounted to no additional victories is walk away. I mean, the Dawg Pound, the Red Sox, and other teams had been losers for decades. They were completely hopeless team. New Orleans nicknamed their team the "Aints" and yet the fandom stood strong. 

Our fandom has disintegrated. How can you feel pride about this team? It's funny to say that when two years ago, we made the playoffs and last year we were a game away despite injuries and Covid. Despite playing a backup QB for all 16 games. The team could very well be good next year. On the other hand, even if we make the playoffs and become a good team we will still be a lousy organization.

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

57 minutes ago, profusion said:

It's actually kind of nice having those fall afternoons full of pleasant possibilities again.

It is. I have two young kids. I gave up tickets when the first was too old to be free. 

watching competent football (redzone or just other games) when I do decide to spend the time, is also amazing. 

I miss rooting for a team I love. 

i do not miss rooting for the laughingstock that is Snyder’s team. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

To be a fan of this team, you have to compartmentalize and stab yourself in the eye a few times a year. Blinking doesn't obscure enough. 

On the one hand, the Rivera story: good coach, decent man, and cancer survivor is a good one to rally around. Likewise, we have some players on the team that are easy to root for as players and not a lot of villains. However, if you move outside the field, it's nothing but radioactive waste, broken glass, brain eating zombies.

I don't have it in me to root against this team or turn away, but I find it harder and harder to amp myself up. Even a great play doesn't elicit that excitement it once did. I think it's important for me to like the team and to believe in them. Sports is an escape so I like to think of my team as the good guys and if I can't do that it weakens the experience a lot. Some people root for the Joker or for Godzilla to trample Tokyo. I want the hero to win. 

The off field stuff sometimes makes it hard to picture us as the heroes. And that's why Snyder should leave.

A team is a part of a community as much as it is a privately owned business. If he's a fan of the team, the best thing he can restore it, even if it amounted to no additional victories is walk away. I mean, the Dawg Pound, the Red Sox, and other teams had been losers for decades. They were completely hopeless team. New Orleans nicknamed their team the "Aints" and yet the fandom stood strong. 

Our fandom has disintegrated. How can you feel pride about this team? It's funny to say that when two years ago, we made the playoffs and last year we were a game away despite injuries and Covid. Despite playing a backup QB for all 16 games. The team could very well be good next year. On the other hand, even if we make the playoffs and become a good team we will still be a lousy organization.

For me, it's almost as if the losing doesn't matter anymore.  It pales in comparison to all the other ****.

You mentioned the Browns and while they've been largely inept, I feel like their ownership and leadership hasn't been made up of scoundrels like Dan Snyder.  Sure, Art Modell moved the team to Baltimore, but that's one instance and while it sucks for fans, franchises move from time to time.  Modell wasn't (as far as we know) cooking his books and trying to get nudes of his cheerleaders. 

Same for the Red Sox, same for the "loveable loser" Chicago Cubs.  Only in recent years have the Red Sox become villains, but for a long time there people pulled for them because they hadn't won in such a long time.  No scandals, no huge ownership issues, no book cooking...same with the Cubs.  

Like I said, it's almost as if the losing doesn't matter anymore.  I'd much prefer it if Snyder was a good dude who had just made bad hiring decisions along the way, but was out front and open with the media and fans and wasn't constantly embroiled in bull****.  Just a guy who pulled for the team as hard as we do and was committed to getting it right.  **** man, it'd be great to consider this franchise "loveable losers" like the Cubs.  Compared to where we are now, that seems way more appealing.

In fact, the more I sit here and think about it the losing DOESN'T matter to me.  Know how I know?  Because if somehow the team won the Super Bowl this year, I'd be sitting on my couch full of beer, nachos, pizza and burgers, happy as hell but also having to take a giant **** and holding out on having to duckwalk to the bathroom because I wouldn't want to miss the postgame interviews and all the other hoopla.  Probably would also be here on ES typing away and talking a lot of ****, too.

But then...THEN...at some point they'd have to have Goodell hand that trophy to Snyder and I'd be so irate I'd lose control of my bowels and just **** all over the sofa.  I can just see it now, all 5'6 of him wedged between Chase Young and Terry McClaurin and Carson Wentz, his head at their armpits with that **** eating grin, a piece of **** of a man who, to feel better about himself, has to surround himself with professional athletes so he can feel some type of worth and hope that maybe a drop of their jock strap sweat falls on his forehead to bless him with a bit of athletic ability that he never had as a kid.  And for that ****ing guy, it would mean everything to him.  It would mean that every ****ing move he made over the past 20+ years, every scandal, every cheerleader who felt unsafe, every front office exec who was treated like a piece of ****, every fan who he ****ed over on a deposit...it was all worth it to him. 

Because I guarantee for that ****ing guy, the ends absolutely justify the means.  

And I'd be left there, sitting in my own feces on the couch not enjoying a Super Bowl win because it would mean that Dan Snyder has his grubby little paws on a Lombardi.  So, yeah, the winning and losing doesn't matter to me anymore.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

38 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

But then...THEN...at some point they'd have to have Goodell hand that trophy to Snyder and I'd be so irate I'd lose control of my bowels and just **** all over the sofa.  I can just see it now, all 5'6 of him wedged between Chase Young and Terry McClaurin and Carson Wentz, his head at their armpits with that **** eating grin, a piece of **** of a man who, to feel better about himself, has to surround himself with professional athletes so he can feel some type of worth and hope that maybe a drop of their jock strap sweat falls on his forehead to bless him with a bit of athletic ability that he never had as a kid.  And for that ****ing guy, it would mean everything to him.  It would mean that every ****ing move he made over the past 20+ years, every scandal, every cheerleader who felt unsafe, every front office exec who was treated like a piece of ****, every fan who he ****ed over on a deposit...it was all worth it to him. 

I've long said that I'd turn the TV off when the clock hit zero so that I wouldn't have to watch the jerk get handed the Lombardi. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tshile said:

It is. I have two young kids. I gave up tickets when the first was too old to be free. 

watching competent football (redzone or just other games) when I do decide to spend the time, is also amazing. 

I miss rooting for a team I love. 

i do not miss rooting for the laughingstock that is Snyder’s team. 

Real question as I'm in a similar position: What would you do if your kids chose another team, including a team in the division? 

We suck. My 6-year-old likes the color blue. A kid in his class is a Giants fan.  I'm at a loss here.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

For me, it's almost as if the losing doesn't matter anymore.  It pales in comparison to all the other ****.

You mentioned the Browns and while they've been largely inept, I feel like their ownership and leadership has been made up of scoundrels like Dan Snyder.  Sure, Art Modell moved the team to Baltimore, but that's one instance and while it sucks for fans, franchises move from time to time.  Modell wasn't (as far as we know) cooking his books and trying to get nudes of his cheerleaders. 

Same for the Red Sox, same for the "loveable loser" Chicago Cubs.  Only in recent years have the Red Sox become villains, but for a long time there people pulled for them because they hadn't won in such a long time.  No scandals, no huge ownership issues, no book cooking...same with the Cubs.  

Like I said, it's almost as if the losing doesn't matter anymore.  I'd much prefer it if Snyder was a good dude who had just made bad hiring decisions along the way, but was out front and open with the media and fans and wasn't constantly embroiled in bull****.  Just a guy who pulled for the team as hard as we do and was committed to getting it right.  **** man, it'd be great to consider this franchise "loveable losers" like the Cubs.  Compared to where we are now, that seems way more appealing.

This might be my favorite, most identifiable, most perfectly put post in my 16 years on this board. You ****ing nailed it.

I don't mind giving it all you've got and failing as long you're a good guy. My friend is a Browns fan. Poor guy. Nobody (maybe this changes with Watson) actively is happy when the Browns lose. It's "Ah, sorry man." For us? EVEN OUR OWN FANS say "Good, **** Snyder." I know it's hard to believe, but we *are* the bad guys because of Snyder. **** the Cowboys because **** the Cowboys, but that's because that's the way things are, the role they play. It's not personal, it's anyone wearing that jersey.

For us, it's because of Snyder exclusively. We got a MASSIVE reset of goodwill when Sean was killed, and we just squandered the **** out of it. Another shot in the arm of goodwill with dropping the name, hiring Wright, hiring Rivera, and the Smith injury.  And since then, we're just learning more and more about what awful things have already happened, let alone what is ongoing. He's genuinely despicable and the piling on is due to that, NOT because he's wounded. He's one of the few terrible people who genuinely deserves extended and increasing disdain, ostracization, and shame.

I'm a generally good person. I see the best in most people, I believe that people can change, I believe that people want to do the right thing and feel that what they are doing is right (this doesn't mean it IS right, they're just doing what they think is right), and I believe with very few exceptions that people are redeemable. It's literally my life's work.  Snyder does not fall under that with the amount of disgusting, proactively hurtful, irreparable, and callous decisions that he has made and his response being to tell those who call him out to shut up via threats rather than taking it as input and trying to change.

He's just a bad person and this franchise can't move forward without leaving him behind.

• Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

20 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Real question as I'm in a similar position: What would you do if your kids chose another team, including a team in the division? 

We suck. My 6-year-old likes the color blue. A kid in his class is a Giants fan.  I'm at a loss here.

If it has to be a divisional team with blue, you should hope it’s blue and red rather than blue and silver. I hate them both but there’s just something different about that silver team that makes my skin crawl.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Franklin60 said:

If it has to be a divisional team with blue, you should hope it’s blue and red rather than blue and silver. I hate them both but there’s just something different about that silver team that makes my skin crawl.

Both are flatly unacceptable to me. I don't care about any other sport, religion, identification, literally anything EXCEPT this.

27 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Both are flatly unacceptable to me. I don't care about any other sport, religion, identification, literally anything EXCEPT this.

Because silver and green would be better?

If he likes blue, guides him toward Rams, Seahawks, Titans, or maybe even Lions. Would be better.

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

It'd be tough, but it's their life and fandom. I'd just roll with it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I don't mind giving it all you've got and failing as long you're a good guy. My friend is a Browns fan.

It has changed with the Browns with the Watson signing, at least to some extent. One of my friends is/was a fanatical Browns fan. He's giving up on the NFL entirely because of this.

I get it. When the men running your favorite sports league start to resemble the Mafia, it's tough to stay enthused and just focus on the players and coaches.

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

Redirect that towards the Chargers powder blues or Ladanian Tomlinson era-dark blues and let him have a prosperous life lol 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

I’m a DMV native and Skins fan my whole life. But my kids have grown up in a totally different part of the country (Pacific Northwest), and when I’ve watched games the Skins always lose and Dad is frustrated. As my older son grew up and starting really loving sports (baseball more than life itself, and football too) it was natural for him to root for a team. I never forced my team on them. It’s honestly miserable being a fan of this team with this owner. All I asked for was not hostility or taunting about my team. He ending up adopting the Niners because his friend was one, they are good, and the local Seahawks fans were mean to him about the Skins and he didn’t want to root for their team. Has followed them loyally for a few years now, certainly easier because they are good.

I would try and influence Chargers, nice colors, AFC, and good young QB, but it is what it is.

Edit- at least he still likes the Nats, although he also likes the Dodgers because his favorite player got traded there.

Edited by seantaylor=god
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

Same with me and my son. I have him way past the point of no return now in his diehard fandom. The name change was the most worrisome opportunity to see him possibly jump for me. I really don’t like Commanders but I bit the bullet and got him all the gear and myself a few things and pretending to like it. I sometimes feel guilty but I took him to Vegas for his first in-person game this past season and we had such an amazing experience that it was worth it.  Doing that with him as he grows up and I get older will be awesome even if it’s mostly complaining about Snyder or the team sucking.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I had the opposite problem. I actively tried to teach my son not to be a fan of Snyder’s circus. Sadly, he fell in with the wrong crowd and started cheering for them anyway.

Mama don’t let your babies grow up to be Cowboys… ~~~~~~ or Skins fans.

Edited by ClaytoAli
  • Like 1

Sheehan podcast from today:

While he agrees that the current allegations will not lead to FTC bringing charges nor the owners voting to force him to sell, he believes it's possible multiple owners plead with him to sell. That, coupled with the dwindling funding opportunities for the new stadium could very well motivate him to sell.

One other point. Sheehan believes a real clue to whether selling is a real possibility or not, is what happens when the Broncos start receiving bids. Bezos wants to be an NFL owner. If Bezos puts in a bid for the Broncos, it's could be because no one believes Snyder will sell. If Bezos does not bid, maybe it's because he believes that Washington will soon be on the market.

Not much, but it gives us something to monitor and hope for. At least Benjamin Albright believes this is the case.

I'd be willing to bet that at least a handful of owners (more than likely alot more) will attempt to convince napoleon to sell. I just don't believe that narcissistic prick being reasonable enough to do so. He has skirted the rules so much that he will continue to think he's untouchable.  Which, if you think about it, is ironic cause the league is complicit in his way of thinking considering they have let him off the hook time and time again.

However, I think there's some validity to thinking he could potentially agree to sell. He clearly realizes his cash on hand is at a minimum.  Hence, why he had to get the league to "loan" him the money to buy the minority owners out. Not to mention,  he has to realize (even if he is a ****ing dimwit) that he is not likely to get a taxpayer funded stadium because he is a hated vile piece of ****. And the fact that he's skimming the league as well as the players (allegedly 🙄) would seem to indicate he is not doing well financially. 

At this point, that useless **** is going to have to decide whether he wants to remain wealthy or continue to try to hang on to his favorite play toy. One thing we can agree on is at the end of the day, the rich want to stay rich. Let's hope this dip**** chooses wisely. Oh, and may 1000 wildebeasts defecate on his front lawn.

HTTR!

• Like 2