Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

8 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

Like with all the people on this planet that I despise and want gone from my life forever, I'll believe it when I see it. 

I will say if he is ousted it will be a complete kick in the nuts that we ended up with this putrid team name. It will forever be his legacy that we all have to endure. 

We could be called the Washington Farts for all I care as long as this dude is gone.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

You guys really think the rest of the NFL gives a **** about "Redwolves"? lol...Come on, now.

I will say, though, that I also passed the thought around that the league letting Snyder buy out the minority owners could make it easier for him to sell the team and that played a role in the debt waiver.

I think they care that one of their 32 marquee franchises took a big swing and a miss. I think they care about the amateur effort that went into the “big” reveal. I don’t think they care about the name itself. I think they care about the optics of such poor execution on the behalf of the entire league and how emblematic is of the way the franchise is run. 

1 hour ago, CobraCommander said:

I think they care that one of their 32 marquee franchises took a big swing and a miss. I think they care about the amateur effort that went into the “big” reveal. I don’t think they care about the name itself. I think they care about the optics of such poor execution on the behalf of the entire league and how emblematic is of the way the franchise is run. 

I am hoping they care about what's currently going on.  Granted no way to know, but personally I doubt they give a rats behind about the optics about the PR stunts whether they are great or lame from any organization.  i am a big fan of the team and I don't even care about the name reveal, not even a whit and I know i am not the only one.  I guess there is no way to know but I'd be shocked if they cared even a little.

I do think though their poor attendance is an issue.  The league already whined about it.  It's not a deal breaker with the league/fellow owners but Dan is costing them money now as far as economic opportunity.  It's nothing that will make them remove him but its something that clearly helps by furthering the motivation to get rid of him.

Our one and only shot to get rid of him IMO is all about the sexual harassment-culture stuff and Dan's handiling of it.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

there is a lawyer who routinely appears on Sheehan's show about legal stuff who was just on 980.   As to previous reports involving Dan he would shoot them down so hard, he gave me the impression that Dan was so teflon that heck if Dan went on a shooting spree in the NFL office and there were 5 witnesses to it, he'd say there is nothing to see there and Dan will easily get off.  I am making that point because once I heard him speaking on sheehan's show this morning i expected him to rain on my hope.  😧  But he didn't do so.  He said the current developments are different -- we are getting into Richardson territory with this and left the window open that we got a shot here.   He didn't say big shot but didn't rule it out.  That's a big change from him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Did I just read accurately that Snyder is hiring an independent contractor to investigate the claims from Tiffani Johnston?

What, he doesn’t know if he did or didn’t do it and needs someone to look into it?

Clown show.

Yes. He needs someone to paint Tiffani Johnson as a two-bit hussie.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am hoping they care about what's currently going on.  Granted no way to know, but personally I doubt they give a rats behind about the optics about the PR stunts whether they are great or lame from any organization.  i am a big fan of the team and I don't even care about the name reveal, not even a whit and I know i am not the only one.  I guess there is no way to know but I'd be shocked if they cared even a little.

I do think though their poor attendance is an issue.  The league already whined about it.  It's not a deal breaker with the league/fellow owners but Dan is costing them money now as far as economic opportunity.  It's nothing that will make them remove him but its something that clearly helps by furthering the motivation to get rid of him.

Our one and only shot to get rid of him IMO is all about the sexual harassment-culture stuff and Dan's handiling of it.

I think you are mistaken if you don't think they care about the botched name reveal. This is NFL, this is entertainment. Of course, if this was an isolated issue no one would bat an eye. But this just fits the overall pattern here. The piss poor fan experience at the stadium, Snyder's inability to get a new stadium deal done, low attendance, a fan base that was once enormous is now shrinking by the day, a ridiculously poor effort with the number retirement of a (universally) loved franchise player, etc.

This new name is/was an opportunity to start a new era. If done right it could have injected some excitement into that depleted fan base. And it is a big thing for the league as well. If done right, this gets you a lot of media attention, branding opportunity, a storyline to build around. The fact that the NFL fans on a broad basis made fun of the name and the own fans seem to not like it and thought the reveal was a **** show is just another sign to them that nothing is about to change for the better in the nation's capital...and it's costing them money.

It's not the main issue obviously but I don't think it is far fetched to say that it still is a somewhat important issue for the league.

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My original point was that I think it’s what broke the camels back. The sexual assault scandals didn’t do that last year but I think the fact that it won’t go away is also very frustrating for the league. But sadly I think Goodell cares more about how poorly run the franchise is vs. the fact that the Owner is a total sleaze and sexual harasser.

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He. didn't say big shot but didn't rule it out.  That's a big change from him.

I'm hoping they drop the nuclear option and not a pathetic slap on the wrist. I feel like it'll be an actual suspension and not that optional time-out, or whatever it was over the summer.

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'm hoping they drop the nuclear option and not a pathetic slap on the wrist. I feel like it'll be an actual suspension and not that optional time-out, or whatever it was over the summer.

Hey man, no worries. Snyder is hiring someone to look into himself. I see honesty and integrity on the horizon.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Hey man, no worries. Snyder is hiring someone to look into himself. I see honesty and integrity on the horizon.

"We've conducted our investigation, and concluded it was a smear campaign lead by Bruce Allen, Fred Smith, the Washington Post, John Feinstein, and a bunch of gutter whores who were begging for it."

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

The league is entirely reactive to anything involving Snyder, rather than being proactive. That annoyed me that nobody called Goodell on that.  Snyder hires Wilkinson, the league takes it over.  Snyder tries to investigate himself, the league takes it over.  

Probably something going on like, "Hey, Dan, we are going to take a hard line publicly, but we got your back."

Allegedly.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

With all due respect this is the least of thier cares. They had plenty of time to stop the name change if they really wanted to. This all has to do with dan and the sexual harassment allegations, work place intimidation and overall mismanagement of the team. They simply do not give a **** about the name. You do realize the NFL had to approve the name right? Why would they "secretly" be mad about it. Sorry that jsut makes no sense. And while while they certainly botched the reveal, there is nothing inherently wrong with the name other than some fans hate it. But that was going to happen no matter what name they selected. 

The real news here is the NFL is breaking with the team just a little bit, for whatever reason. Does it mean danny out? Way too early to tell. I am in the I will believe it when I see it camp. But I will say the needle has moved a little. If the NFL releases the documents themselves or makes danny do it, I will feel more like this has teeth. Unfortunately this has the look of a lot of blustering to in the end say our hands are tied legally so we can't release the documents. Move on to something else. So the danny reign continues. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Panninho said:

I think you are mistaken if you don't think they care about the botched name reveal. This is NFL, this is entertainment. Of course, if this was an isolated issue no one would bat an eye. But this just fits the overall pattern here. The piss poor fan experience at the stadium, Snyder's inability to get a new stadium deal done, low attendance, a fan base that was once enormous is now shrinking by the day, a ridiculously poor effort with the number retirement of a (universally) loved franchise player, etc.

This new name is/was an opportunity to start a new era. If done right it could have injected some excitement into that depleted fan base. And it is a big thing for the league as well. If done right, this gets you a lot of media attention, branding opportunity, a storyline to build around. The fact that the NFL fans on a broad basis made fun of the name and the own fans seem to not like it and thought the reveal was a **** show is just another sign to them that nothing is about to change for the better in the nation's capital...and it's costing them money.

It's not the main issue obviously but I don't think it is far fetched to say that it still is a somewhat important issue for the league.

The attendance is way down, TV ratings are down.  They had all the WP stories.  Yet the NFL did basically nothing.  So my point is grading them on a PR stunt I doubt that within context moves the needle with them considering much more bottom line items not just recently but over the years hasn't moved them.  

The branding thing is a local thing with everyone having their own takes.  Each take being valid for their own fandom.   And I know people are emotional about it.  But I think its a very specific Commanders/Redskins/Football fan emotion event, we can feel this in our own way but I doubt the NFL from NY can identify with it and react to it accordingly and care deeply.  

The Cleveland Indians made their annoucement on twitter with a freaken video and that was it.  Personally I didn't want a big reveal, it would come off hooky to me. But that's me as a fan.  Others had different takes.  Each one valid and cool.  But as for outside the DMV optics?  It didn't strike me a national story as for grading the reveal.  It was all about the actual name from what I can tell nationally for the most part.   But even if it weren't, i don't think the NFL cares that deeply at least from the context of hey that owner needs to go because of PR stunts.  And if they did Dan would be long gone. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

With all due respect this is the least of thier cares. They had plenty of time to stop the name change if they really wanted to. This all has to do with dan and the sexual harassment allegations, work place intimidation and overall mismanagement of the team. They simply do not give a **** about the name. You do realize the NFL had to approve the name right? Why would they "secretly" be mad about it. Sorry that jsut makes no sense. And while while they certainly botched the reveal, there is nothing inherently wrong with the name other than some fans hate it. But that was going to happen no matter what name they selected. 

The real news here is the NFL is breaking with the team just a little bit, for whatever reason. Does it mean danny out? Way too early to tell. I am in the I will believe it when I see it camp. But I will say the needle has moved a little. If the NFL releases the documents themselves or makes danny do it, I will feel more like this has teeth. Unfortunately this has the look of a lot of blustering to in the end say our hands are tied legally so we can't release the documents. Move on to something else. So the danny reign continues. 

yep.  The league had final sign off on the name and from what I recall were even privvy to some of the discussions about it. 

And the jerseys were almost all designed by NIke who has the contract with the NFL.  

Heck even what the team was able to offer as far as T-shirts and the branding stuff to launch this on 2/2/2022 was primarily driven by Nike/NFL.

The branding/jerseys is in a way a Commanders/NFL partnership.

There is almost no way the NFL is irate about any of it.

We got much IMO bigger fish to fry with Dan than the name reveal. 

1 hour ago, CobraCommander said:

My original point was that I think it’s what broke the camels back. The sexual assault scandals didn’t do that last year but I think the fact that it won’t go away is also very frustrating for the league. But sadly I think Goodell cares more about how poorly run the franchise is vs. the fact that the Owner is a total sleaze and sexual harasser.

I think it broke the back with some fans for sure.  But I'd be stunned if Goodell gave even a whit of care about it.

If I had to guess what broke the camels back is not only did Dan decide to do his own investigation but clearly did it without even consulting the NFL.  And then starting the he said she said fight with the NFL about disclosing the documents.

The NFL had Dan's back, but like Florio said Dan is pushing his luck now by rankiling the NFL. 

• Thanks 3

The NFL cares about money and it cares about its freedom. If Goodell thinks Congress is serious about looking into the NFL then that will embolden him to act. It may seem unrelated, but the Flores suit also matters in that there are now multiple reasons to investigate the NFL. The NFL wants to be left alone. 

in the end, Snyder is a net negative on the NFL, his actions cost the league tens of millions every year. For a team that revenue shares that matters. Now, he’s blackening the reputation of the NFL and putting it in hazard. 

I still doubt Snyder is removed, but he’s making the idea of his removal more attractive. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

10 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So I worked for Deloitte on the consulting side.  I don’t anymore.  

The conflict checks they have to do are like a prostate exam.  Extremely invasive.  Every client, audit and consulting has to be vetted, every investment every employee makes in a stock or mutual fund has to be recorded, it’s bananas.  There are always going to be a few mistakes and some crooks, but the amount of safeguards that are in place to identify them and protect the firms against being f absolutely obliterated are pretty intense.  

And in working with audit partners for years, I can tell you that I haven’t come across one yet who’s willing to knowingly break the rules for a client.  They all saw what happened to Arthur Anderson, and they’re not getting in line for that treatment.

The other thing is, because each franchise can choose its own auditor, with its own audit partner, and the league has its own auditor, the sheer amount of coordination it would take to pull off a fraud of that. Store, it would absolutely get out.  

I'll agree that, assuming there's a variety of auditors in play, the chances of a NFL-wide fraud are slim to none.

On a sidetrack, if you're asserting that significant fraud isn't possible because of the checks and processes in play then I'll disagree, because there's indisputable evidence now that it has happened - indisputable in the sense that the auditors themselves admit it occurred, while not admitting that they were responsible for failing to spot it (see https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55855840 , where their argument goes on the lines that an audit isn't meant to spot fraud, therefore auditors aren't responsible if they don't report it).

I'm not saying it's widespread, the issues aren't with the vast majority of firms, it's with the really high value, billion-dollar businesses. Maybe the most amusing recent example was the case of Arif Naqvi who faces a few hundred years in a US jail. His company was audited by KPMG, who are now being sued for $600 million. There's a really good book about him called "The Key Man" written by a couple of WSJ guys that gives an insight into the world he operated in, and how he got away with it.

Other examples in the last couple of years include Wirecard (EY, "It would be another 18 months before EY finally realised that half of Wirecard’s revenue and €1.9bn of company cash ... did not exist." https://www.ft.com/content/bcadbdcb-5cd7-487e-afdd-1e926831e9b7), NMC Health (EY again, where they actively concealed fraud for 6 years, and are being sued for $6 billion), Autonomy (the company HP bought then immediately regretted, audited by Deloitte, fined a then record £21 million), Lookers (Deloitte again, this one is ongoing), and so on. 

The common thread is that these have all come to light recently, across all the large accounting firms. It's got to the point where the financial regulators are being pressed to break up the big four; they will almost certainly have to split off their consulting business from the auditing business.

3 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

If the NFL cared that much they would have stepped in to make sure the team wasn't hindered by trademark issues and would have helped in the reveal.

Here's what they do care about (or at least will pay attention to): merch sales, on-the-field results, if anything comes to light that directly ties Snyder to any illegal wrongdoing.

Merch sales will be a better indicator of rebrand success. On-the-field success is good for the league and is a fantastic cleanser. And any evidence of direct wrongdoing by Snyder lays a foundation for forcing him to sell the team and helps in any possible lawsuits against the league by Snyder himself. They already knew about everything in the rollout before the rollout took place.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

With all due respect I have zero faith the NFL cares about sexual harassments. If they did they wouldn't have let Dan get away with all this in the first place.

I don't think they care about the name itself, just the way in which it was revealed. And I think the NFL is finally coming to the realization that no amount of Jason Wright's and Julie Donaldson's will fix this mess and the only way to get out of it is to go forward with the sexual harassments angle. 

Again, I said it was the straw that broke the camels back. The idiom means there has been mounting pressure for a long time. And if the sexual harassment was the thing that actually broke the camels back, that should've happened when the scandal first started.

Pardon my cynicism but I don't give Goodell and the NFL the benefit of the doubt. They have turned a blind eye and swept so many issues under the rug it's ridiculous.