Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

Kind of weird, just objectively, to say that you don’t care what someone looks like and then invoke of all people Michael Jackson, possibly one of the most famous and certainly visible examples of body dysmorphia in the history of the world. 

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Kind of weird, just objectively, to say that you don’t care what someone looks like and then invoke of all people Michael Jackson, possibly one of the most famous and certainly visible examples of body dysmorphia in the history of the world. 

lol well....when you put it that way...his song is kinda ironic

/I was in Connecticut this week...really loved it...great people

Edited by Stefanskins
  • Like 1

In thinking further about this, a new stadium might be some leverage against Dan.

He needs league sign-off on a new proposal, and he probably would need need financial help from the league to build a new stadium if local jurisdictions aren't willing to pony up (which they likely won't, especially now). He's rich, but not liquid enough to casually sign nine-figure checks.

If a majority wants him out, they could simply make it clear that either he sells or the team will be playing out in a field next to the town dump when the FedEx lease expires. 

Edited by profusion

30 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

but is that what matters? That we are so diverse...

The new hires I mentioned are more than qualified for the positions they received.

The point is the team has stepped outside of its comfort zone with the new hires they brought onboard to help rebuild the franchise, it's very different than anything they have done in the 35 years I've been watching. 

Maybe Dan has no choice and he's being forced but these new hires are solid people who won't take part in Dan's bull**** or further embarrass the organization.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

We aren’t the Redskins anymore.

Personally I respect your stance that you’re sticking around. So am I.

However, the old ‘don’t let the door hit you’ line towards other long standing fans and ES members is unnecessary in my opinion. Show a bit more class and respect. 

That's correct. Well said. 

I'm more personally affected by this than the other things he's done. This isn't re-selling old beer or making stupid coaching hires. This is disgusting. I'm not going off and adopting another NFL team, I'm simply not supporting the ORGANIZATION led by a bad person. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

What’s terribly ironic is for the first time in 20 years, Dan has hired competent, diverse, high character people to oversee and run his organization, and NOW is when all the **** is really hitting the fan. 

Like, it couldn’t have happened 3 years ago? Good grief.  

The two are directly related, that's why

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Dude, being a bad owner is the only reason we all want Snyder gone.  But again, "being despised by pretty much everyone" isn't enough to get kicked out of the league.  Look at James Dolan, Knicks owner. 

Dude, you keep taking sentence fragments and acting like they're the full summation of my argument. Again, for the billionth time, it's not "being a bad owner" or "being despised" that's going to get him out. It's the full ****heap of everything he's been a part of and, yes, responsible for, that needs to be viewed here. 

And we don't know if this is the worst culture.  Just because there hasn't been national press focused on someone else's culture like ours, that doesn't mean there's an organization out there that hasn't quietly settled sexual harassment claims from a lot of women over the years.  

Lol. OK, so we're playing the "imagination" game now. I'm just going to go with facts. I put forth the challenge to you or anyone to name a single NFL franchise that's even come close to this level of ongoing national attention for all the wrong reasons, especially in relation to the work environment and sexual harassment. All you've got is "well, there could be." That line of logic leads to things like a lawyer saying, "Hey, just because my client was seen by 20 witnesses robbing this store doesn't mean there couldn't have been someone wearing a mask with his likeness Mission-Impossible-Style who was trying to frame him. Amiright, judge? Come on, it COULD have happened." Eventually, you have to go with the facts in front of you. There is no fact out there that would currently dispute that the WFT culture is the worst in the entire NFL. Not one. A multitude of facts to support that assertion, however. 

But even then, you're downgrading sexual harassment by the amount of number of women that have come forward against the WFT vs. any other team.  Is the fact that it's happened here so much somehow worse than a team where it's happened 5 or 6 times? 

Uh ... YES. It DEFINITELY is. Because again, that speaks to an organization-wide culture. That shouldn't be hard to understand. Of course you're going to have instances of sexual harassment at big companies. But if it happens just a couple times in a company of hundreds in isolated instances, that's usually a sign that you've got a few bad people working there who need to be shown the door. When you've got this many? And not to mention, the Post said more than 100 people reached out to them for the latest story, lol. More than 100. That speaks to organization-wide culture, and that speaks clearly to rot at the top. 

As far as "downgrading sexual harassment," that's a ridiculous assertion. Are you going to look at someone differently who's killed 100 people vs. someone who's killed one? There's a reason those people get "elevated" to the level of serial killers or "monsters" and are studied far more by criminal psychiatrists. That has nothing to do with one's thoughts on the crime of murder in general or the sympathy you might feel toward a victim of that crime. 

But how much of it is he directly responsible for?  The cheerleader story that broke a few years ago?  He wasn't there.  The article that broke last month?  He wasn't sending pervy messages to female interns and employees and making comments. 

Well, Snyder himself said he was responsible for all of it in his brilliant statement, so ... in this rare instance, I fully agree with him. (Besides, using your logic, how do we KNOW he wasn't there? How do we KNOW he didn't write those messages and pass them on to someone else? See how ridiculous that sounds?)

Again, the "he wasn't there physically" approach is a short-sighted and lazy way to view this thing. When you've got this many instances of this type of harassment and horrible work environment, and you have so many now on-the-record stories of how this guy treats people in the office, decades of stories and anecdotes of how he treats people outside the office ... it doesn't take Brainiac to be able to put the connections together that the environment comes from the top here. There's no other reasonable explanation for it. 

I admit that "influencing the culture" isn't the same as committing the actual offenses. But, as the head of the operation, it does make you ultimately responsible when it's this far-reaching. 

Dude, no one outside of this fanbase gives a Frenchman's **** about Dan Snyder running this organization into the ground. 

All you have to do is a quick Google of Snyder and "Snyder must go," etc., and you'll find TONS of comments from people not a part of this fanbase that contradict that statement completely, many of them national media members. Do they care about the ORGANIZATION? No, they don't care about our horrible record and that we're viewed as a laughing stock everywhere. Of course not. But they care about the culture this organization now represents, the treatment of women, etc., etc. They can see that this level of behavior goes way beyond the pale. I've been reading comments from fans of other teams saying, "I don't want him to go, because that means the team might actually stop sucking, but ... he has to go." That particular one was from an Eagles fan, lol. You are so despised that even Eagles fans are starting to think you need to be kicked out based on your behavior. That comment is far from an anomaly. 

Are we having this conversation if the WFT wins 9-12 games each year and are in the playoffs?  Are we having this conversation if Snyder has a few Super Bowl titles?  

Back to fantasy land. This is not going to happen. It hasn't happened for 20 years under this guy with HOF coaches, HOF players, etc., etc.  But let's say for a moment that it does ... I would still say YES, absolutely, we need to be having this discussion. You're a pretty ****ty human being if you stop talking about these sorts of indecencies just because your team wins some football games. So yeah, I can only speak for myself, but I would most definitely still be having this conversation. But again, I try to live in reality, so ... I don't think I'll ever get the chance to prove that under this ownership. 

I have no idea if this or other forthcoming stories will ultimately get him removed. I'd certainly admit the chances are less than 50/50 at this point. I'm simply making the argument of why this SHOULD be viewed far differently than the "it happens everywhere" line or the "he's just a bad owner, and that's not enough" line. He's a lot more than that. I'm sure anyone in the NFL with a brain sees that. Whether or not they'll do something about it that actually means anything is unknown at this point. 

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

The new hires I mentioned are more than qualified for the positions they received.

The point is the team has stepped outside of its comfort zone with the new hires they brought onboard to help rebuild the franchise, it's very different than anything they have done in the 35 years I've been watching. 

Maybe Dan has no choice and he's being forced but these new hires are solid people who won't take part in Dan's bull**** or further embarrass the organization.

It was interesting just now to read Rivera's comments about why the team and his comments were different from Dan's.  Will see how this dynamic plays out.    But it should be interesting to see what happens when super classy people like Rivera and Wright and Donaldson interact with arguably a dude who isn't classy in Dan.    Hopefully its not one of those world's collide where it ends up crashing and burning.    According to some, people tend to have honeymoons with Dan initially but over time the real Dan tends to come out and in that mix  and supposedly he greatly prefers to be around people who agree with him and see things the same way as opposed to people who challenge him. 

My hunch is this is Dan's last shot with the fans because if this one also goes south, I think the team's irrelevance heads to Jax Jaguars territory. 

Hours after Snyder’s initial response, the team released a separate statement Wednesday night. It was far more conciliatory and empathetic in tone than Snyder’s, and asked for both former and current employees to step forward with any new information to remedy the culture issue in Washington.

“I think the first one, obviously, was a personal message and then the second one was the team,” Rivera said without acknowledging that separating the two requires significant agility.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

I'm not judging anyone.

If they want to leave for whatever reason, more power to them.

But that door swings shut fast. You shouldn't let it hit ya where the Good Lord split ya. 😛

What door? This isn't some club. No one is in charge of letting fans in. If people are disgusted by the men who operate this team and it interferes with their genuine feelings about the games on Sundays, no biggy. But for you to act like there's some acceptance or approval that others need is odd. 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

Dude, you keep taking sentence fragments and acting like they're the full summation of my argument. Again, for the billionth time, it's not "being a bad owner" or "being despised" that's going to get him out. It's the full ****heap of everything he's been a part of and, yes, responsible for, that needs to be viewed here. 

Well what's the "full ****heap of everything he's been a part of"?  He's been a bad owner.  He's also been a douchebag narcissist.  Mean, nasty, petty.  Those are all the things that are under the umbrella of being a "bad owner."  Terrible culture?  Sure.  Add that to what makes him a bad owner.  At the end of the day, that's all he is.  A bad owner.  Or a horrific owner.  He's not a murderer.  He's not a rapist.  He's not a racist (though I wouldn't be surprised the Post dug up some of that stuff).  

He's a bad businessman.  He's a bad owner.  I'm not sure what else you're referring to when you say "everything he's been a part of," like there's something else that he's done outside of being...a bad owner.

5 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

Lol. OK, so we're playing the "imagination" game now. I'm just going to go with facts. I put forth the challenge to you or anyone to name a single NFL franchise that's even come close to this level of ongoing national attention for all the wrong reasons, especially in relation to the work environment and sexual harassment. All you've got is "well, there could be." That line of logic leads to things like a lawyer saying, "Hey, just because my client was seen by 20 witnesses robbing this store doesn't mean there couldn't have been someone wearing a mask with his likeness Mission-Impossible-Style who was trying to frame him. Amiright, judge? Come on, it COULD have happened." Eventually, you have to go with the facts in front of you. There is no fact out there that would currently dispute that the WFT culture is the worst in the entire NFL. Not one. A multitude of facts to support that assertion, however. 

Uh ... YES. It DEFINITELY is. Because again, that speaks to an organization-wide culture. That shouldn't be hard to understand. Of course you're going to have instances of sexual harassment at big companies. But if it happens just a couple times in a company of hundreds in isolated instances, that's usually a sign that you've got a few bad people working there who need to be shown the door. When you've got this many? And not to mention, the Post said more than 100 people reached out to them for the latest story, lol. More than 100. That speaks to organization-wide culture, and that speaks clearly to rot at the top. 

As far as "downgrading sexual harassment," that's a ridiculous assertion. Are you going to look at someone differently who's killed 100 people vs. someone who's killed one? There's a reason those people get "elevated" to the level of serial killers or "monsters" and are studied far more by criminal psychiatrists. That has nothing to do with one's thoughts on the crime of murder in general or the sympathy you might feel toward a victim of that crime. 

Well, Snyder himself said he was responsible for all of it in his brilliant statement, so ... in this rare instance, I fully agree with him. (Besides, using your logic, how do we KNOW he wasn't there? How do we KNOW he didn't write those messages and pass them on to someone else? See how ridiculous that sounds?)

Again, the "he wasn't there physically" approach is a short-sighted and lazy way to view this thing. When you've got this many instances of this type of harassment and horrible work environment, and you have so many now on-the-record stories of how this guy treats people in the office, decades of stories and anecdotes of how he treats people outside the office ... it doesn't take Brainiac to be able to put the connections together that the environment comes from the top here. There's no other reasonable explanation for it. 

I admit that "influencing the culture" isn't the same as committing the actual offenses. But, as the head of the operation, it does make you ultimately responsible when it's this far-reaching. 

All you have to do is a quick Google of Snyder and "Snyder must go," etc., and you'll find TONS of comments from people not a part of this fanbase that contradict that statement completely, many of them national media members. Do they care about the ORGANIZATION? No, they don't care about our horrible record and that we're viewed as a laughing stock everywhere. Of course not. But they care about the culture this organization now represents, the treatment of women, etc., etc. They can see that this level of behavior goes way beyond the pale. I've been reading comments from fans of other teams saying, "I don't want him to go, because that means the team might actually stop sucking, but ... he has to go." That particular one was from an Eagles fan, lol. You are so despised that even Eagles fans are starting to think you need to be kicked out based on your behavior. That comment is far from an anomaly. 

Back to fantasy land. This is not going to happen. It hasn't happened for 20 years under this guy with HOF coaches, HOF players, etc., etc.  But let's say for a moment that it does ... I would still say YES, absolutely, we need to be having this discussion. You're a pretty ****ty human being if you stop talking about these sorts of indecencies just because your team wins some football games. So yeah, I can only speak for myself, but I would most definitely still be having this conversation. But again, I try to live in reality, so ... I don't think I'll ever get the chance to prove that under this ownership. 

I have no idea if this or other forthcoming stories will ultimately get him removed. I'd certainly admit the chances are less than 50/50 at this point. I'm simply making the argument of why this SHOULD be viewed far differently than the "it happens everywhere" line or the "he's just a bad owner, and that's not enough" line. He's a lot more than that. I'm sure anyone in the NFL with a brain sees that. Whether or not they'll do something about it that actually means anything is unknown at this point. 

We can agree to disagree, mainly because typing all this **** is exhausting and I need to get to work soon.  But the funniest part about this is that you rail against Snyder for being a multitude of things (which he is) and then the second he says "I take responsibility for this," you believe him.

All you need to know about a guy like Dan Snyder is that he'll say what he has to say to try to make himself look good in the moment.  He said that he takes responsibility in his statement because he had to, not because he wanted to.  Quite frankly, I'd have preferred him to just give the finger to everyone because at least that would have been an honest moment and he'd be telling you who he really is.  I used to work with a guy who would say in front of everyone "I take responsibility for this, this is my ****up," and then proceed to do absolutely nothing about it and even do the same thing again, he'd just say "I take responsibility" because he knew that's what everyone wanted to hear.

Haven't you learned by now?  His words mean nothing.  It's all been about his actions.

9 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

All you need to know about a guy like Dan Snyder is that he'll say what he has to say to try to make himself look good in the moment.  He said that he takes responsibility in his statement because he had to, not because he wanted to. 

Haven't you learned by now?  His words mean nothing.  It's all been about his actions.

Lol, you didn't get my sarcasm there. I totally get why he said that and why it means absolutely nothing. I'm just saying, the words were there, and despite the intent in making that statement, it's true in a way he clearly doesn't realize: He is fully responsible. I just thought it was comically ironic that he said he "took full responsibility" — knowing that he was just saying that because of the fallout he got in the last statement for NOT saying it — and yet it being the one ultimately true thing he said: he is responsible.  

I gotta get some work done, too. Enjoy!

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hopefully its not one of those world's collide where it ends up crashing and burning.

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My hunch is this is Dan's last shot with the fans because if this one also goes south

I agree, if Dan continues to be Dan it's going to be odd watching the team react to everything as if it has multiple personalities so at some point Dan has to zip it , I think its Dans last stand, he has one more chance with the fans, the NFL, and the sponsors to make good or my gut says the league starts to turn on him.

Either way I think it either works or its the beginning of the end for Dan.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I agree, if Dan continues to be Dan it's going to be odd watching the team react to everything as if it has multiple personalities so at some point Dan has to zip it , I think its Dans last stand, he has one more chance with the fans, the NFL, and the sponsors to make good or my gut says the league starts to turn on him.

Either way I think it either works or its the beginning of the end for Dan.

The lawyer was on the radio this morning saying as many as 'a dozen' more people have come to her wanting to tell their stories.  This is all calculated.  It is no accident that this story dropped on a day where no practice was scheduled, so EVERYTHING that was reported about team came back to this story.  It's also no accident that this is all going down when the team finally changed its name and fan support is on its thinnest ice.  There are some powerful things or people at work here, and it's a calculated movement with likely the ONLY outcome being Snyder no longer owning the team.   There are likely more and more pieces of evidence that will continue to flow out as the previous story seemingly dies down until the ultimate goal is reached.  

• Like 2

I really liked Captain Ron's response yesterday to a question asking him if he's seen anything noteworthy about Dan Snyder and how he has reacted to all these crises (including the racial issues). He set Ron up perfectly to say a bunch of nice things about Dan, and I was about to turn it off if that happened, but Ron responded, "Not really." Lol. He then used adjectives like "straight-forward," but nothing that was very praising of the guy. That gave me a glimmer of hope, too. I think some good people are in that building. But I think it means nothing ultimately if Snyder stays. They'll eventually find out who he is. Then they'll have their own crisis of conscience. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dissident2 said:

Lol, you didn't get my sarcasm there. I totally get why he said that and why it means absolutely nothing. I'm just saying, the words were there, and despite the intent in making that statement, it's true in a way he clearly doesn't realize: He is fully responsible. I just thought it was comically ironic that he said he "took full responsibility" — knowing that he was just saying that because of the fallout he got in the last statement for NOT saying it — and yet it being the one ultimately true thing he said: he is responsible.  

I gotta get some work done, too. Enjoy!

Yeah, it's hard to pick up on sarcasm here.  

It was a good debate, I enjoyed it.  My final comment on is that I hope that this is enough to get him canned but I don't think it is.  That said, I think the Post is picking up some momentum very quickly and that could change everything here soon. 

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

Yes, it is different, but do you really think it's praise-worthy from fans?  I'm really not asking a rhetorical question.

It doesn't feel like the recent moves represent any real "sticking your neck out there" type of moves.  At this point, the team is being universally praised for the diversity of their hires.  They all feel like "see! we're different" type of moves.

10 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

What’s terribly ironic is for the first time in 20 years, Dan has hired competent, diverse, high character people to oversee and run his organization, and NOW is when all the **** is really hitting the fan. 

Like, it couldn’t have happened 3 years ago? Good grief.  

It's not irony. It was on purpose to distract from what he was hoping could be stopped. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DiscoBob said:

Yes, it is different, but do you really think it's praise-worthy from fans? 

For some, maybe.  For me, I like the hiring of Ron and Jason for many reasons and none of them are associated with their race but it is good to see they went outside of the box with the Jason and Julie hirings, makes me think someone else is making the decisions other than Dan.

Edited by JSSkinz

4 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

For some, maybe.  For me, I like the hiring of Ron and Jason for many reasons and none of them are associated with their race but it is good to see they went outside of the box with the Chris and Julie hire, makes me think someone else is making the decisions other than Dan.

That may be true.  I too like the Ron hire, Jason - I wasn't really for or against, but I liked his first interview.

I've just become so cynical toward Dan, that I assume his motives are all to try to convince the public that he isn't a terrible owner.  That being said, I'm happy if there is someone more competent (Rivera?) making all of these decisions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well what's the "full ****heap of everything he's been a part of"?  He's been a bad owner.  He's also been a douchebag narcissist.  Mean, nasty, petty.  Those are all the things that are under the umbrella of being a "bad owner."  Terrible culture?  Sure.  Add that to what makes him a bad owner.  At the end of the day, that's all he is.  A bad owner.  Or a horrific owner.  He's not a murderer.  He's not a rapist.  He's not a racist (though I wouldn't be surprised the Post dug up some of that stuff).  

He's a bad businessman.  He's a bad owner.  I'm not sure what else you're referring to when you say "everything he's been a part of," like there's something else that he's done outside of being...a bad owner.

We can agree to disagree, mainly because typing all this **** is exhausting and I need to get to work soon.  But the funniest part about this is that you rail against Snyder for being a multitude of things (which he is) and then the second he says "I take responsibility for this," you believe him.

All you need to know about a guy like Dan Snyder is that he'll say what he has to say to try to make himself look good in the moment.  He said that he takes responsibility in his statement because he had to, not because he wanted to.  Quite frankly, I'd have preferred him to just give the finger to everyone because at least that would have been an honest moment and he'd be telling you who he really is.  I used to work with a guy who would say in front of everyone "I take responsibility for this, this is my ****up," and then proceed to do absolutely nothing about it and even do the same thing again, he'd just say "I take responsibility" because he knew that's what everyone wanted to hear.

Very true, and unfortunately this is one of the problems we have with accountability in society. Most people DO believe someone when they take responsibility because it sounds good, but toxic narcissists like Snyder are excellent at telling people what they want to hear and then doing nothing. The hirings of Wright and others were pretty much forced on Snyder in an effort to distract people from his despicable behavior.

One thing that gets me from the report is it was reported for the umpteenth time that employees are not allowed to look Snyder in the eye. Many others have said this over the years, but the media doesn't really take it seriously. I've heard sports talk guys like Doc Walker say they can't really believe that someone would do that. WHY NOT? Why is it so hard to believe that a petty billionaire would be so narcissistic and inhuman? Because people STILL want to give him the benefit of the doubt...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dckey said:

The sad part about the NFL voting Dan out, he only needs 7 people to keep him.  It would take 24 to vote him out.  Don't think he would have a problem getting 7 people to keep him.  The NFC East would keep him just so they can continue to whip his a$$.

I don't think he can get 4 owners to side with him.

The resentment is deep.

Many feel he tried to buy wins... by overpaying for players and resetting the salary structure. I remember when he tried to circumvent the cap during the uncapped year. He still hasn't been able to overcome the resentment from being a young owner and him trying to be a hardass in an attempt to gain respect. He went about it all wrong. From being a mean spiteful little fella to also being a litigious 'I will get my pound of flesh' guy. It seems all dem people he has wronged are now coming out of the woodwork to demand retribution. What might just save him might be his propensity to sue. 

We have no idea how most of the owners view the situation. They could see Dan as somebody who stays in check with their league-wide votes and a new owner as a wildcard.

The NFL could think "This franchise run well is more money for all of us. This franchise run well with an owner who is a minority in the United States would be huge for our image and a new stadium in the Nation's Capital". I don't imagine they really care about social change. They want sponsors and money and media love. Snyder does none of that for them. 

3 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

We have no idea how most of the owners view the situation. They could see Dan as somebody who stays in check with their league-wide votes and a new owner as a wildcard.

The NFL could think "This franchise run well is more money for all of us. This franchise run well with an owner who is a minority in the United States would be huge for our image and a new stadium in the Nation's Capital". I don't imagine they really care about social change. They want sponsors and money and media love. Snyder does none of that for them. 

If I'm the owners of the other teams... Snyder is my favorite.  His franchise went from $800 million to $3+ billion while it hasn't won squat.  Not only is it making money, but it's more often than not a soft spot on my teams schedule.  

I BELIEVE their tune will change once sponsorship money comes under fire.  If these parties start rallying to the big name sponsors for supporting the team, then the owners tune may change... which I think inevitably happens. 

If the NFL won’t force Daniel Snyder out, Washingtonians must do their part

Snyder never found the right people to help him figure out how to run an NFL team, how to treat other people, whom to trust or how to be rich and decent. So, second- and third-raters became barnacles on his treasure ship.

If his team had won quickly, and he’d gotten the acceptance he wanted so much, maybe he’d have been a different man by age 40. But the overpromising of a marketer and the underperforming of an amateur brought flops and feuds — and criticism, which often ignited self-pity or anger.

Feeling isolated, the values of the NFL became his values by default. In a league that was casually racist, misogynistic, bullying, pretentious, exploitative and amoral toward fans, Snyder mimicked his surroundings.

Long ago, one successful NFL team was known for the all-in-black central-casting thugs who surrounded the owner and executives. A wiseguy look? Snyder had a period when he was trailed through NFL stadiums on the road by a similar comic-goon entourage. I’m tough, too

But when you read The Post’s (second) expose this week on the football franchise’s pervasive, disgusting culture toward women, don’t excuse it as a product of its time. In a half-century covering sports, I’ve never encountered any franchise in any sport that behaved so atrociously. After 21 years, Snyder owns this utterly.

...The two Post stories already have precipitated firings and maybe, eventually, some change. But the portrait of Snyder that emerges should be cautionary to anybody with power or privilege — even power within a family.

All employees on Day One are instructed to call Snyder only “Mr. Snyder” or “Sir,” but never “Dan.” They are never to look him in the eye. If he approaches, they are to walk away. Snyder has tried this “That’s Mr. Snyder to you” stunt on adults who don’t work for him and gotten a laugh. He’s probably lucky that’s all.

People who work close to Snyder can’t speak loudly near him or eat where he can see it. All his paper clips must point in the same direction. The toilet paper in his private bathroom must always be folded in a “V.”

The working conditions inside this franchise have been known for many years; they include Snyder’s petty grudges, preferential treatment for suck-up favorites and vindictiveness toward those he turns on. This leads to a self-selecting organization of fearful, insecure people who will accept such treatment.

...The D.C. area has only one real recourse. More than anything, Snyder wants some foolish government to build a publicly-funded multibillion-dollar stadium. The Redskins are contractually obligated to play at FedEx Field, which Snyder hates, until 2027. Nothing precludes the team staying there indefinitely, but a new stadium is Snyder’s lifeline to more money and vain glory.

Don’t give it to him. That’s how you make him sell, or get the NFL to boot him out to get that new stadium.

Watch your politicians like they’re weak, corruptible folks. Sure, the playpens of the Caps, Wizards, United and Nats have all been a boon to D.C. — financially, or if you like entertainment and victory parades.

But none of those teams is owned by Dan Snyder, the hometown boy who made good, then turned bad.

At this point, the only release from Snyderdom is to deny him his form of oxygen: money. Whether that’s in the form of tickets, trinkets or, most important, that new gaudy stadium.

Enough has become several times more than enough. Washington and its fans deserve far better. It’s time to Defund Dan.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2