Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

17 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

If I just pretend that this isn't Snyder we're talking about then that seems fair, but this is Snyder we're talking about. He's done so many shady things behind the scenes and he deserves all the bad karma that comes his way. 

On 99% I agree but associating him with Epstein was too much, unless it's true.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Preston Smith showing us why we have a distinct advantage this year. While every other team will be ramped up with anxiety, the calming silence in the stands will put our team at ease. 

TBH it's probably going to be an advantage at home games this year.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Correction, until he forced Doug Williams to make a statement.

Feel a little bad about Doug here.  Doug was part of what sold me on Guice on the character front.  Doug was very hardcore when vouching for his character. 

42 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Let's hope he approaches Gibbs I

Agree.  Sadly sometimes I wonder now if Gibbs 2 is the ceiling under Dan.  But I do think we can get lucky.   We are due. 😬

Former team president Bruce Allen's decision to claim linebacker Reuben Foster off waivers in late November 2018. San Francisco released Foster a few days prior following his second domestic violence arrest in less than a calendar year. The 49ers invested a lot in Foster, including a first-round pick in 2017, but the team said enough was enough and cut him. 

No other NFL team even put a waiver claim in for Foster.

Except Washington. 

A firestorm erupted then around Allen's decision to claim Foster and the NFL quickly put the linebacker on the Commissioner's Exempt list, keeping him off the playing field and the practice field.

Still, Washington made clear that the priority was acquiring a football player with high-end potential over the public relations nightmare of signing a player fresh out of jail. 

It's important to note that Foster was eventually cleared of all charges. The NFL did not even suspend him. But at the time Washington signed him the team had no way of definitively knowing that would be the case. Foster still hasn't played in Washington after a devastating knee injury last year and is currently on the Physically Unable to Perform list.

Much has changed since that decision in late November 2018, starting with the ouster of Allen following the lousy 2019 season. 

Ron Rivera took over the organization in January 2020 with a pledge to change the culture of the franchise. 

Back then much of the culture change was believed to be about winning football games, as the team has struggled to do that for the better part of two decades. In the months since, the scope of what needs to change grew far broader as a Washington Post report last month alleged a culture of sexual harassment and verbal abuse towards 15 women that formerly worked for the team. It was shameful behavior and led to the firing of two personnel executives and the resignation of the former team broadcaster. 

Still, the accusations linger.

It's a stain on the organization, and maybe that will wash away over time, but not immediately. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

You know, @Cooleyfan1993 said something in the Guice thread which resonated, and made me think. He was talking about how Dan’s on a yacht somewhere and it’s not a **** show which the people in the building. 

Since essentially the night after the Dallas game, the WFT has been given ample opportunity to screw up and show disfunction.  Coaching hire, FO structure, Covid crisis, racial protest, Trent Williams and Dunny situations, the name change, how the executed FA and the draft, and the Washington post article, and now the Guice situation are the ones I can think of where they could have stepped on their wank.  And in recent years, they would have. 

But amazingly, they haven’t.  Dan got it right by hiring Rivera.  They reshuffled they FO and have a competent group of people.  They handled the covid situation as well as they could have, and they have been thoughtful about the reaction to the racial protests. The didn’t embarrass themselves over the name issue.  They didn’t rush into anything or make any really stupid comments.  They didn’t get dragged through the mud with Williams or Dunny.  They cut ties quickly with Guice.  

When the post article was coming out, they acted quickly to remove the remaining 3 people who were in the building and named, in fact before the story even broke.  

They’ve had like 20 opportunities to screw up and show the type of dysfunction we have come to see under the Snyder ownership.  And we’ve seen none of it. 

There are a few things here and there which maybe they could have done better, but nothing egregious. 

This is different.  This is better.  I don’t k is if or when it translates to wins, which is most important. But Ron said he needed to change the culture. And it’s changing. Because under Dan/Bruce leadership, there’s no way the organization makes it through these issues without at least 5 ridiculous sound bites and stupid comments. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:Because under Dan/Bruce leadership, there’s no way the organization makes it through these issues without at least 5 ridiculous sound bites and stupid comments. 

I’ve always admired Belichick’s brilliance in dealing with the media. He puts on a clinic every time.

Im not all that familiar with Ron. But from how I’ve seen him engage since he’s arrived, it’s very promising..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You know, @Cooleyfan1993 said something in the Guice thread which resonated, and made me think. He was talking about how Dan’s on a yacht somewhere and it’s not a **** show which the people in the building. 

Since essentially the night after the Dallas game, the WFT has been given ample opportunity to screw up and show disfunction.  Coaching hire, FO structure, Covid crisis, racial protest, Trent Williams and Dunny situations, the name change, how the executed FA and the draft, and the Washington post article, and now the Guice situation are the ones I can think of where they could have stepped on their wank.  And in recent years, they would have. 

But amazingly, they haven’t.  Dan got it right by hiring Rivera.  They reshuffled they FO and have a competent group of people.  They handled the covid situation as well as they could have, and they have been thoughtful about the reaction to the racial protests. The didn’t embarrass themselves over the name issue.  They didn’t rush into anything or make any really stupid comments.  They didn’t get dragged through the mud with Williams or Dunny.  They cut ties quickly with Guice.  

When the post article was coming out, they acted quickly to remove the remaining 3 people who were in the building and named, in fact before the story even broke.  

They’ve had like 20 opportunities to screw up and show the type of dysfunction we have come to see under the Snyder ownership.  And we’ve seen none of it. 

There are a few things here and there which maybe they could have done better, but nothing egregious. 

This is different.  This is better.  I don’t k is if or when it translates to wins, which is most important. But Ron said he needed to change the culture. And it’s changing. Because under Dan/Bruce leadership, there’s no way the organization makes it through these issues without at least 5 ridiculous sound bites and stupid comments. 

I hadn't really though about it the way you layed it iut, but you are correct.  We have been dealing with shockwaves from previous mistakes and since Rivera has arrived, they've been handled well.  Hopefully we are at a point where the nuclear blasts have ceased and soon enough the shockwaves will have passed.  Then maybe we can play some football and try to win some games.

By the way, that^^^ is what happens when a dysfunctional organization is in place.  Its one thing after another and even if changes are made, there are repercussions that must be dealt with long after the villains have been run out.  The question remaining is, will Snyders presence be enough to keep the scales tipped in favor of dysfunction.  Hopefully not.

Edited by 86 Snyder
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

The question remaining is, will Snyders presence be enough to keep the scales tipped in favor of dysfunction.  Hopefully not.

There’s no way to tell the future.  The past would indicate he’ll screw it up somehow. 

That said, with all the opportunities they’ve had to screw up, and they haven’t yet, that’s both surprising and encouraging.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Die Hard said:

I’ve always admired Belichick’s brilliance in dealing with the media. He puts on a clinic every time.

Im not all that familiar with Ron. But from how I’ve seen him engage since he’s arrived, it’s very promising..

During one of the Zorn years, one of the radio stations played back-to-back answers from Zorn and Belichick on a really similar question about an injury.  It was something like, “do you have an update on player X’s injury.  Zorn launched into this whole long answer with treatment, duration, when they expected the player back, etc.

Bill said, “No...... Sorry.”  

what’s interesting is both of the words Bill used were lies.  I’m sure he knew something but he wasn’t going to tell anybody anything and he certainly wasn’t sorry. 

The contrast was so hysterical.  One right way, one wrong way...

On 8/8/2020 at 2:14 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Good point, they have had opportunities to screw it up and haven't.  And every issue they dealt with are ones that were laid at their feet from the previous administration.  So they are cleaning up their mess. 

And yeah the previous Dan/Bruce administration would have likely botched a lot of it, while being smug and coming off tone deaf at the same time. 

Among other things, as some who cover SF said no way would Trent be dealt to them regardless if they had the top offer if the previous administration was still here.  

And like you say, they'd have likely made some ridiculous misstatements that would add to the ridicule plenty already have about the organization.

Rivera is the right dude IMO to help turn around the dysfunction.  Only thing is does Dan stay out of his way?  Will see. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Only thing is does Dan stay out of his way?  Will see. 

And/or will he keep taking the advice of the people who he hired, and continue acting in a competent way.  The simple fact is he's going to have to make decisions on "the big things" no matter what, (name, whatever the result of the internal investigation is, etc.) so it's not so much staying out of the way as hiring competent advisors and listening to them.  And, importantly, hiring people who won't just tell him what he wants to hear.  

So far, he's done that.  We'll see.  

On 8/9/2020 at 5:28 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

And/or will he keep taking the advice of the people who he hired, and continue acting in a competent way.  The simple fact is he's going to have to make decisions on "the big things" no matter what, (name, whatever the result of the internal investigation is, etc.) so it's not so much staying out of the way as hiring competent advisors and listening to them.  And, importantly, hiring people who won't just tell him what he wants to hear.  

So far, he's done that.  We'll see.  

Dan has repeatedly said that his biggest mistake as an owner, was not listening to and trusting Marty and firing him too soon. I think that's where we are. He has let some coaches stay on too long, trusted his failing GMs (for lack of another term) and while he has meddled some, it never seems to happen until the team starts to falter continuously. 

I think that's where we are. I think Ron has the longest and most rope any coach has had to fix this team from the top down. It's impressive.

• Like 2