Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

On 8/1/2020 at 1:50 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

-------------------------------------

I can't believe nobody has pressed the issue on it at all.  

I'm surprised nobody has either, but I think it's still a free country and people can think what they want.  I'd rather he didn't tweet at all, but it's his choice.  The insinuation that because he most likely has different political views than most of his players should or could be "called out" bothers me tremendously.  

I will leave it at that.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

I'm surprised nobody has either, but I think it's still a free country and people can think what they want.  I'd rather he didn't tweet at all, but it's his choice.  The insinuation that because he most likely has different political views than most of his players should or could be "called out" bothers me tremendously.  

I will leave it at that.

I won't touch the BLM stuff in the Stadium for obvious reasons but believing in a pandemic existing is not a political belief, or at least it shouldn't be, and that's a problem. Treating every opinion as if it has equal worth is a problem when it comes to dangerous ignorance. JDR is damn near promoting delusional conspiracy theories at this point, is the issue. That's never been widely seen as a "reasonable" difference in politics until this point in our history.

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I won't touch the BLM stuff in the Stadium for obvious reasons but believing in a pandemic existing is not a political belief, or at least it shouldn't be, and that's a problem. Treating every opinion as if it has equal worth is a problem when it comes to dangerous ignorance. JDR is damn near promoting delusional conspiracy theories at this point, is the issue. That's never been widely seen as a "reasonable" difference in politics until this point in our history.

Isn't Pete Carroll a 9/11 Truther? Point is believing in whacked out conspiracy theorist does bar you from bring a great coach.

47 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Isn't Pete Carroll a 9/11 Truther? Point is believing in whacked out conspiracy theorist does bar you from bring a great coach.

No idea. My point is that some opinions are being labeled as a simple "difference in politics" as if we're talking about the national debt or something, but that isn't the case (imo). There are lots of harmful and (dictionary definition--literally uneducated) ignorant opinions out there that don't deserve to be evaluated as equal in worth to more informed opinions, yet people are now trying to protect such ideas from criticism by calling them "different political views" and it's happened more and more this past decade. It doesn't pass the sniff test to me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/30/2020 at 5:49 AM, FootballZombie said:

If I could invest in Julie Donaldson stock, I would. It would be a No-brainer (Zombie Pun)

Wouldn't that be an eat-brainer?

giphy.gif

On 8/1/2020 at 5:15 PM, Burgundy Yoda said:

Seems to me like maybe the focuses are elsewhere on this team and not locked into social media and who posts what. 

This would be an absolute first if so lol...

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

No idea. My point is that some opinions are being labeled as a simple "difference in politics" as if we're talking about the national debt or something, but that isn't the case (imo). There are lots of harmful and (dictionary definition--literally uneducated) ignorant opinions out there that don't deserve to be evaluated as equal in worth to more informed opinions, yet people are now trying to protect such ideas from criticism by calling them "different political views" and it's happened more and more this past decade. It doesn't pass the sniff test to me. 

I don't want to veer into a Tailgate-y discussion here (@jumbo yelled at me for that last week or so. It hurt my feeling), so trying to keep it football and team related. Here is an excerpt of his interview with The Athletic. Seems like, as others have said prior, our focus seems to be winning on the field. It also looks like he's open to discussion with others if anyone has a problem with it. So, as long as it doesn't disrupt the locker room, I don't think it's an issue.

The defense lost defensive tackle Caleb Brantley after he opted-out of the season because of COVID-19. He was officially designated as a “high-risk.” There are plenty of other players opting-out for other reasons. As a former player (Del Rio played 11 NFL seasons at linebacker), what do you make of a fair amount of players across the league opting out of the season? (Washington announced LB Josh Harvey-Clemons opted out of the season after this interview concluded.)

I have personal views that would probably not sit well with my professional occupation right now. I think I’ll just leave it like that.

To that point of holding views, you have been outspoken on Twitter on a few political topics. What compelled you to speak out? And, as said in the previous response, since some of your views may go against the prevailing public stance with those in your profession, have you felt compelled to discuss any of your comments with your players? Is there any concern about misunderstanding the various points of view from all sides?

No, nothing there, really. I am open to discuss at any time with anyone my thoughts and respectfully have exchanges. It’s just not always possible in today’s environment. I think it’s important to be able to have your own opinion and respect for each other. People may have an opinion that is different than mine, which is okay. I’m okay with actually having a conversation about it with anyone, including my players.

You made some of these comments several weeks ago. Have you had any conversations with your players since then?

We haven’t had any close, individual time. It certainly hasn’t been part of any group setting. I don’t anticipate there being any, but I certainly would be okay if anyone felt the need.

• Like 1

Additionally...

Lastly, the topic of COVID-19 is huge in the sports world. We’re seeing Major League Baseball struggle to prevent the virus from spreading with some teams. This is obviously a concern with the number of people in NFL locker rooms. Ron Rivera the other day said it comes down to being disciplined as a group and as an organization and as individuals. Of course, the handling of COVID is now a political topic. Not everyone agrees on the merits of wearing a mask or avoiding large gatherings. Now, if the players (or anyone in the organization) should contract the virus they could spread to others on the team and, therefore, possibly derail a game or, over time, the season. How do you, if you agree, impart on your players the importance of being disciplined and responsible in these areas for the greater good even if their own opinions on the topics may differ?

For us right now, it’s about understanding what the protocols are that are being called for and adhering to those. Understanding the best thing that we can do to give ourselves an opportunity to actually have a season and enjoy playing football is to follow these protocols. I think the league has put out a bunch of (protocols). Coach (Rivera) has really hammered this home. (Head athletic trainer) Ryan Vermillion is heading up the effort here on our building. We are just looking to do the right things and have the opportunities to compete on Sundays.

• Like 1

^^^Yeah, I addressed that stuff in the other Virus thread here in the Stadium. Here I'm purely talking about this idea that "people should be able to have different political views"...this has become an argument that now encompasses and attempts to protect lots of dumbass ignorant views that are not at all political in nature...like in this case not believing in science in the case of a deadly pandemic. 

• Like 2

PFT: Jack Del Rio on opt outs: I have views that wouldn’t sit well with my occupation  

>>>

Washington defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio doesn’t want to say what he really thinks about players who are opting out of the 2020 season because of concerns about COVID-19.

Del Rio told Ben Standig of TheAthletic.com that offering his opinion about players opting out might land him in hot water.

“I have personal views that would probably not sit well with my professional occupation right now,” Del Rio said, via NBCSportsWashington.com. “I think I’ll just leave it like that.”<<<

I think we know how JDR really feels. 

^^^ eff Pro Football Talk.  The entire context of the quote is 3 posts above yours.

We know how he feels.  There seems to be some context.  I don't agree with him, but I also believe he has the right to believe whatever the hell he wants to believe.  As long as it isn't an issue in the locker room, it's really not an issue to me.

If it IS an issue in the locker room, we're going to find out about it eventually.  

• Like 4

On 7/28/2020 at 10:33 AM, Riggo#44 said:

It's going to be real, real interesting this Training Camp, we have a glut of very talented (albeit injury prone) RBs--AP, Guice, Love, McKissic, and Gibson should all make the team.

We have two guys that if healthy, should get the ball. Guice and Love. Period.  AP is just too slow and is basically 2 to3  yards and that's it. I don't want him. McKissic and Barber are JAGS. Gibson is not a pure RB so not even sure why or if he even gets a shot there. 

Guice and Love are home run hitting type of backs. In this day and age this is what we need, not a RB that is about to get social security. Turner should come up with some formations where Guice and Love are on the field together. 

18 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

PFT: Jack Del Rio on opt outs: I have views that wouldn’t sit well with my occupation  

>>>

Washington defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio doesn’t want to say what he really thinks about players who are opting out of the 2020 season because of concerns about COVID-19.

Del Rio told Ben Standig of TheAthletic.com that offering his opinion about players opting out might land him in hot water.

“I have personal views that would probably not sit well with my professional occupation right now,” Del Rio said, via NBCSportsWashington.com. “I think I’ll just leave it like that.”<<<

I think we know how JDR really feels. 

You know, I'm already tired of Del Rio. Brantley is high risk, meaning he could potentially DIE. Does he understand that??   Del Rio has already ran his mouth on Twitter. Just shut the hell up and run the defense. You coach in a different era now where players are smarter about their health and their futures. Does he realize that these guys have lives to live AFTER football???  IDK, after all that we have been through with coaches and their drama, we got this new guy who is already saying sheet on Twitter and now this, where he basically has called out guys who opt out. How about you just say,  "for the guys that opt out I respect their decisions because they have to do what's best for them and their families/loved ones." His quote, at least to me is very insensitive. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Alexa said:

We have two guys that if healthy, should get the ball. Guice and Love. Period.  AP is just too slow and is basically 2 to3  yards and that's it. I don't want him. McKissic and Barber are JAGS. Gibson is not a pure RB so not even sure why or if he even gets a shot there. 

Guice and Love are home run hitting type of backs. In this day and age this is what we need, not a RB that is about to get social security. Turner should come up with some formations where Guice and Love are on the field together. 

We are going to find ourselves in a very bad situation if AP is not on this team this year.  I can't bring myself to bet on Guice, Love, or Gibson to this point.  AP needs to be here, i'm sorry.  

i also think you're selling him short.  Bill Callahan was our HC so every single team we were coming up against knew that we were running the ball.  AP still averaged 4.3 ypc and had 0 carries over 40, and 6 carries over 20, so it's not like his average is inflated by a handful of long gainers.  Hard for ANYONE to break big runs when the box is stacked like that.   To put into perspective, Guice had a 60 yard carry.  Take that one away and his AVG was 4.51... right on par with Peterson.  Guice had 42 carries to AP's 211.  Guice has the ability to be game breaker, but Peterson isn't exactly Matt Jones with the '2 to 3 yards and that's it' that you want to reduce him to.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

We are going to find ourselves in a very bad situation if AP is not on this team this year.  I can't bring myself to bet on Guice, Love, or Gibson to this point.  AP needs to be here, i'm sorry.  

Beat me to it. He averaged over 4 YPC last year on a vanilla, ground-n-pound offense with a suspect offensive line. Not to mention he brings the one ability all of our other backs lack: availability. At this point in his career, he's not the game-breaker, but he's a solid vet running back who you'll know what you'll get from.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

^^^ eff Pro Football Talk.  The entire context of the quote is 3 posts above yours.

We know how he feels.  There seems to be some context.  I don't agree with him, but I also believe he has the right to believe whatever the hell he wants to believe.  As long as it isn't an issue in the locker room, it's really not an issue to me.

If it IS an issue in the locker room, we're going to find out about it eventually.  

I don't believe it's an issue in the locker room.

Because Rivera is the type of guy that, if it was an issue - Rivera would have nipped it at the bud by now.

On the contrary, JDR's political takes have blossomed into a tree, in the meantime.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Beat me to it. He averaged over 4 YPC last year on a vanilla, ground-n-pound offense with a suspect offensive line. Not to mention he brings the one ability all of our other backs lack: availability. At this point in his career, he's not the game-breaker, but he's a solid vet running back who you'll know what you'll get from.

give me 15 games, 200+ carries and 900 yards any time.... most likely gets 1k if Gruden isn't the head coach through 5 weeks having AP inactive week 1 and no more than 12 carries over weeks 2-5

Edited by OVCChairman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

So if we're running him out of town with 6 weeks until the season starts, there's only one man suited to reclaim the throne

Like I've said, if he gets us on off the field on third down, he can be a satan-worshipping, puppy-eater for all I care.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Too bad Good thing we lost this game...

FTFY. Every loss helped bring about the end of Bruce Allen...

His long last year was 32 yards--albeit with the Crapahan System. I hope he only has 5-600 yards this year--that means Guice, Love, and others are healthy and productive. But he's an excellent insurance policy.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

FTFY. Every loss helped bring about the end of Bruce Allen...

His long last year was 32 yards--albeit with the Crapahan System. I hope he only has 5-600 yards this year--that means Guice, Love, and others are healthy and productive. But he's an excellent insurance policy.

Mark Sanchez at QB you score to take the lead 13-10 on a 90 yard run and Peterson ends up with 9 carries for 98 yards and you lose 28-13... my god that was bad.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I hope he only has 5-600 yards this year--that means Guice, Love, and others are healthy and productive. But he's an excellent insurance policy.

I wonder if he'd be happy.

Because it seems that part of what motivates him these days, is to get the rushing crown.

And to do that, I think he needs to average 1200 yards until he retires.

Needless to say, I don't see that happening.

But back to my point - will AP become defiant, if he does not get a bulk of the carries ?

24 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I wonder if he'd be happy.

Because it seems that part of what motivates him these days, is to get the rushing crown.

And to do that, I think he needs to average 1200 yards until he retires.

Needless to say, I don't see that happening.

But back to my point - will AP become defiant, if he does not get a bulk of the carries ?

That's a good question. It seemed he was okay sharing for the 20 mins Guice was healthy last year. 

• Haha 1