Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

48 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I didnt even think about his suspensions but good point, I'm sure you heard the interview but Ron was only discussing how he seems to pick things up quickly but gave pause because its without pads.

I'm still shocked about Guice, I don't know how all of that information that other teams seemed to have known somehow slipped past us.

At some point the value is right to draft a player even with question marks. The Skins decided the end of the second round was it for Guice. They were wrong. Keep it moving. I hope this doesn’t detour them too much with taking some risks in the future. No different than drafting a guy who come to find out doesn’t love the game and becomes a bust, IMO. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Ron was on Sheehan this morning and he was asked about any players who Ron thought were sleepers and were impressing him early on, one of the first names that came out of his mouth was Saahdiq Charles.

That's good to hear, hopefully he feels the same way when their in pads.

Charles is killin it, in the Zoom meetings !

🙌

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

I'm still shocked about Guice, I don't know how all of that information that other teams seemed to have known somehow slipped past us.

I don't think Guice had any particular incident or incidents, or anything glaring that turned off the other teams.

I think it was just the impression he gave when he showed up for the interviews with a lollipop in his mouth.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Charles is killin it, in the Zoom meetings !

🙌

I get what you're saying but X's and O's are just as important, I don't see any reason why a players ability to retain concepts cant be tested based on the info the players have been absorbing for the last 2 weeks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

I get what you're saying but X's and O's are just as important, I don't see any reason why a players ability to retain concepts cant be tested based on the info the players have been absorbing for the last 2 weeks.

Im sure with some of the question marks coming about him the coaches are incredibly enthused with his maturity to remain engaged in Zoom meetings to level of understanding the playbook. For some guys this kind of stuff means to a team and us fans than others and this qualifies. 

• Like 1

I don’t know if anyone has seen Cynthia Frelund’s positional ratings yet...

but so far she’s done RB/WR/QB.

Washington was 32/32/28.

Now, she takes total production for the entire current corps. into consideration, I believe. 

So basically that ranking says this offensive squad is unproven... which is an accurate statement. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Washington was 32/32/28.

Now, she takes total production for the entire current corps. into consideration, I believe. 

So basically that ranking says this offensive squad is unproven... which is an accurate statement. 

I think AP should lift the group above worst in the league.  And McLaurin probably lifts the War corps out of the basement also.  I wouldn’t argue with 31. :P 

Bur whatever.  You’re right.  It’s just unproven.  There’s none of the RBs apart from AP who have meaningful NFL snaps.  And the only WR who has done anything was McLaurin.  

22 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Washington was 32/32/28.

Not unfair or unrealistic. However, for once, production is ahead of our players, rather than behind. I am really looking forward to this year--and it has nothing to do with W-L, and everything to do with having a real coaching staff, interested in taking lumps with the kids, and growing a team. I can't wait to see what Gibson, AGG, Love, Charles, Young, Sweat, Haskins, Turbo Terry, Moss, Hentges, Martin, Sims, Holcomb, Moreland et al do--these are all 1st and 2nd year players expected to play a significant role. When did we have this many young players in this position?

5 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

I didnt even think about his suspensions but good point, I'm sure you heard the interview but Ron was only discussing how he seems to pick things up quickly but gave pause because its without pads.

Yeah I heard it.  Don't get me wrong, I liked S. Charles as a player even before we drafted him here.  I am just worried about his multiple suspensions and i have less faith in the his character checked out to us narrative now then I did before the Guice incident.  I loved Guice as a player and ignored the character concern rumors.  I thought they were vague and overblown.  But in retrospect there was obviously something to it.

I am not just picking on the Redskins here.  Plenty of other teams have ultimately failed with players with previous behavioral issues.   The Honey Badger though is a great example of a dude who did turn it around.  I've never tried to quantify it but just thinking about it off the cuff, I'd guess about 50% give or take college with multiple incidents (multiple being the operative word) ultimately relapse in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I've commented on Frelund before.   Watching her "models" that predict wins and loses, you'd think we'd be 0-16 for the last 2 seasons.  I can't recall her model ever showing us that we'd win. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I heard it.  Don't get me wrong, I liked S. Charles as a player even before we drafted him here.  I am just worried about his multiple suspensions and i have less faith in the his character checked out to us narrative now then I did before the Guice incident.  I loved Guice as a player and ignored the character concern rumors.  I thought they were vague and overblown.  But in retrospect there was obviously something to it.

The only caveat I'll offer here is the people who were doing the checking have changed. Gruden and Allen vs. Smith and Rivera. 

We'll see if he has put it behind him or he's another Guice...

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

The only caveat I'll offer here is the people who were doing the checking have changed. Gruden and Allen vs. Smith and Rivera. 

We'll see if he has put it behind him or he's another Guice...

Also, hindsight is 20-20. Guice was worth the risk. A pro bowl caliber player if he wasn’t injured and his head was on straight. No major incidents in college. No huge injuries in college. It was an appropriate, measured risk. We missed. Teams miss on draft picks all the time. I’d rather take a chance of a Derrius Guice than draft a Ryan Anderson or Trent Murphy that don’t move the needle at all. 

• Like 6

On 8/14/2020 at 12:13 PM, JSSkinz said:

I'm not saying you're wrong but I don't remember this team ever having this many young, talented players as foundational pieces.

At least we have that going for us.

Also he feels different.  As many of said hes a leader of men.  A father type of presence.  Last person they hired that had that type of pressence was Gibbs.

• Like 1

Has Dan Snyder finally realized how to build a successful organization?

After 21 years of persistent losing, scandals and stupidity, has the team finally found a way out of being the NFL's worst operation? Is there hope for becoming not just a consistent winning franchise, but one Washingtonians can be once again proud to support?

Maybe . . . though we've seen this before only to watch it crumble.

Snyder is on a streak of solid decisions. He opted to move on from the Redskins name after years of derision. The permanent one won't come for a while, but the Washington Football Team and its marketing is respectable.

The right coach was picked. Not just someone with a winning background. Snyder has often picked legendary names only to undermine them and watch the team rebuild every few years. This time, though, the coach has the right personality in Ron Rivera. While predecessors Marty Schottenheimer, Joe Gibbs and Mike Shanahan were equally stoic, Schottenheimer and Shanahan undermined themselves while Gibbs left after deciding his family needed him more.

Rivera won't shy from the storm that always encircles the team. He is the storm. The difference over Schottenheimer and Shanahan is Rivera isn't a draconian leader who devalues players and staff. He is the rock who can be a cornerstone of success.

Snyder ousted several failed executives like president Bruce Allen and hired competent people. On Monday, Jason Wright was named team president while focusing on business operations. Wright is the perfect pick – a youngish leader at 38 whose resume includes NFL player and University of Chicago business school grad.

There's a lot to like about this hire. After two disastrous leaders in Vinny Cerrato and Allen, Snyder finally found an emerging talent. This was the type of hire the owner should have made 21 years ago when buying the team and wrongly firing general manager Charley Casserly. And, Wright becomes the NFL's first Black team president.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Has Dan Snyder finally realized how to build a successful organization?

Not to sound too negative, but the media all said the same thing when Brian Lafemina was hired a couple of years back...didn't end well. We all thought it was Bruce Allen who forced him out...but maybe it was Snyder all along, who definitely doesn't like to hear things he doesn't agree with. Snyder is a textbook example of toxic leadership.

• Like 1

Wright is an interesting choice to lead a team that has been without a top executive since Snyder fired longtime team president Bruce Allen on Dec. 30. In many ways, Wright — who also is the league’s youngest team president — is the opposite of Allen. The son of a former Black Panther, Wright, whose middle name, Gomillion, is in honor of his great-uncle, an activist professor at the Tuskegee Institute, sprinkles his sentences with words such as “inclusion” and “transparency” and talks about making business decisions using analytics. Allen, the son of former Washington Coach George Allen, ran a top-down culture that many former employees have described as stagnant and often confrontational.

Even though Wright was not someone who was frequently mentioned as a potential candidate to become an executive for an NFL team, his hire was celebrated by many around the league. The Fritz Pollard Alliance, a diversity group that works closely with the NFL on its hiring practices, quickly released a statement calling the move “a historic event” and said, “We hope that it signifies a true change for the manner in which leadership is chosen in the NFL.” Randy Mueller, a former general manager of three NFL teams, described Wright as “the kind of guy who could go a long way towards healing wounds.” Two people inside the organization raved about Wright, with one saying he is “an incredibly smart hire.”

“I don’t know who is making these moves, but it isn’t the old Dan crowd,” said one person familiar with the team’s decision-making in recent years, speaking on the condition of anonymity to provide a frank assessment. The person was referring not only to Wright’s hire but the addition last month of Julie Donaldson, the first woman to have a full-time role for an NFL team’s game day radio broadcast, who was also named the team’s senior vice president for media.

“Fresh blood with fresh thinking — kind of refreshing, actually,” the person added. “Maybe this is a signal that they are really going to operate differently.”

Wright said he was not looking to leave McKinsey but became intrigued when he was “connected” with Snyder and Snyder’s wife, Tanya, within the last few weeks. That led to a meeting and conversations with not only the Snyders but also Rivera, whom several of Wright’s former teammates and his football agent know well.

Through these conversations, Wright, Rivera and the Snyders came up with a power structure that will have Wright and Rivera reporting to ownership but will also be what Wright called “a three-headed leadership construct where we together are shaping a new culture.” He added that he believes the Snyders are committed to changing what many have described as a toxic atmosphere around the franchise.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/17/jason-wright-hired-president-washington-football-team/

I’ve noticed a lot of referring to the ownership as “the Snyders” recently, not something that was EVER done before. A pretty transparent attempt at remaking Dan’s image as a family man who makes decisions with his wife, rather than a lonely isolated megalomaniac. She can’t be any worse than him so don’t get me wrong , I welcome it even if it’s a true representation of the situation. But it’s a fairly obvious tactic.  

• Like 6

Now I hope the guy ends up being a really great President, fans get a much better experience, and all of the other hires also work out.

But man these hires seem quick and suspiciously like Snyder is trying to reactionarily placate the critics at all costs. Snyder left Cerrato in charge for a decade. Then Allen for a decade. Then when he fires Allen he leaves all of the toxic people that he knew were toxic in place. Then, a week after a damning report comes out he fires people and promotes a woman to leadership. Then allegations come out of a Rooney rule investigation and a couple weeks later he suddenly hires an unheard of minority candidate.  

I'll believe it's not fishy as can be once there are some actual results, but I'm expecting In a year or so there's a big blowout, more drama, and a couple of these new hires get fired/leave.  The only other way this makes any sense otherwise is if Ron Rivera has said "I own this organization and will be choosing everybody" and Snyder has said "okay" for now.

The season’s about to start lol, I don’t see how this is quick and suspicious at all. People have been wondering why we hadn’t already hired a Team President for ages and worrying that there was too much on Rivera’s plate.

Now it’s coming out that Goodell and other NFL personnel were also involved in hooking us up with Wright, who they (the NFL itself) had already tried to hire last year. He’s only unknown to fans because we aren’t in the loop on up-and-coming guys on the business side in the league. Turns out Wright was highly thought of and coveted around the league already and had already turned down one big job with the NFL before this. He’s not an unknown at all within the league, just because we hadn’t heard of him. 

For once we are the ones hiring the young prodigy from outside the organization’s normal sphere, instead of letting them leave. It is not knee-jerk or pandering to put an emphasis on diversifying the FO after everything that’s come out about how the culture needs to change, so the new hires make perfect sense AND feature highly qualified candidates. I realize that we so often do the wrong thing that finally doing the right thing after a scandal may seem suspicious, but it should really be an introduction to the new norm, if Rivera and co are actually changing things. And it seems they are. I would expect our FO to be one of the most progressive and forward-thinking in the league (and I don’t just mean in a diversity sense but in a business strategy sense), if Snyder lets the people that have been hired do their jobs. These are potentially transformative hires if they are given the time to settle in and make this a real franchise again. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 1

Dan deserves some credit here. We are making an effort at real organizational change. Hopefully the newly formed management structure leads to a less toxic and more cohesive organization.  It takes time, but if the new hires are ready for the task, this can all be very very good for us.