Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

One thing, police should be required to have a college degree, at least a 2 year associates degree.  Then be trained for 2 years, before becoming an officer.

I either read or saw on TV that some jurisdictions only require 5 months training before you can be an officer.

A lot of those punks, wouldn't make it thru college or a 2 year training.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So when asked about whether he has a plan to work towards ending systemic racism, Trump basically said that his plan was to have a strong economy. “It's the greatest thing that can happen for race relations, for the African-American community, for the Asian American, for the Hispanic-American community, for women, for everything”.

I wonder if anyone pressed him on the fact that the jobs report showed that black unemployment actually went UP a little bit as white unemployment went down almost 2 percent. 

Probably not. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

One thing, police should be required to have a college degree, at least a 2 year associates degree.  Then be trained for 2 years, before becoming an officer.

I either read or saw on TV that some jurisdictions only require 5 months training before you can be an officer.

Those of us who've been to college can pat ourselves on the back and say that the world would be a better place if everyone went to college just like us.  I'm not sure how that would make policing better...yes, college can open you up to different backgrounds and beliefs and make you a more understanding person, but that's not everyone's experience.  You can still have gone to college and be a violent douchebag.  Or dig in your heels and not be receptive to being open minded.

A quick anecdote, I went to a small, private college in North Carolina for my first 2.5 years of school.  I was supposed to play baseball there and quit in the first two weeks, I was just burned out and couldn't take it much more.  However, that allowed me to live in the dorm where a lot of the athletes were so I got to know a lot of them.  Pretty sure most of the guys on my hall were on the football team.  

Anyway, one night at a party on the quad one of the football players, a big white guy from a verrrrry rural part of NC decided it'd be fun to get his bullwhip out while drinkingand start playing around with it.  So there he is in the middle of the quad, cracking his whip and having himself a grand time, not a care in the world.  The black kids that were there, needless to say, were mortified.  Scared.  And the guy cracking the whip didn't understand why.  

In regards to policing, I would like to see if there'd be a way to test for a predisposition to resorting to violence as an answer when there's clearly better options.  And, obviously who has racist leanings/thoughts.  

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

<Police ASKING Proud boys to break curfew elsewhere> 

Makes you wonder what the teams really are? Its clearly not cops v everyone else. Its not cops v protesters. Its not cops v curfew breakers. 

Hmm. 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I don't really care about the college education either. I think there should be tighter vetting with psychological assessments, maybe even a clearance requirement, and just a longer training path. To do all that, you'd need to raise salaries too. Overall, just make it a more desired job to attract better people. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I don't really care about the college education either. I think there should be tighter vetting with psychological assessments, maybe even a clearance requirement, and just a longer training path. To do all that, you'd need to raise salaries too. Overall, just make it a more desired job to attract better people. 

Cut the funding for weapons and pay them more with more training. Also allows them to move into federal policing easier with more training (I would think) 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, purbeast said:

LOL.  It's worth the minute watch.

Pretty sure the reporter repeated his name wrong. Listen closely. His name is "Big Dick Daddy," not "Big Big Daddy."  Given the end of the clip, that makes more sense.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Haha 5

38 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

They should have a two year stint doing public service in the hood.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Those of us who've been to college can pat ourselves on the back and say that the world would be a better place if everyone went to college just like us.  I'm not sure how that would make policing better...yes, college can open you up to different backgrounds and beliefs and make you a more understanding person, but that's not everyone's experience.  You can still have gone to college and be a violent douchebag.  Or dig in your heels and not be receptive to being open minded.

I think people hear ignorance in the context of racist behavior and like to imagine it’s as simple as an education problem.  It’s not.  As evidence I offer the various big names happily shouting “all lives matter” or siding with them.  The vast majority of politicians, business leaders, and recognizable names happy to ignore problems or pretend racism doesn’t really exist went to college.  Many with advanced degrees and to some of the best schools in the country. 

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

It's unreal that Trump said Floyd is probably looking down and is super happy because of the economy. What a blundering sociopath. 

I’m starting to think the best ways to insult Trump is simply to use lengthier quotes.  A sentence or two doesn’t capture it.  When a good sized chunk of spoken words appear as text, it rarely fails to read like complete insanity.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

LOL. That second pic...****ing goobers couldn't even draw a swastika correctly. 

Not that the intent is funny, obviously. But it just speaks to the intelligence and ability levels of the people who would do that sort of thing.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The whole Police Business should be reviewed from A to Z. Step one is admit there is a problem with law enforcement in this country. 

Demilitarize our police forces. Create panels of advisors in every city to review how they are hired, trained, reviewed. Create new standards, guidelines, and expectations. Remove any and all tactics that have resulted in death. Remove any officer with 3 or more verifiable complaints of excessive violent behavior. Emphasize deescalation and compassion.

Remove all barriers that Unions have set for review, punishment, and removal of bad officers from the force. Remove the forfeiture clause where police can take your money, and is used to buy extra hardcore military gear for the force, And is inherently theft. 

Institute Extensive physiological testing pre employment and during employment. Continual mental health reviews of each officer regardless of their time on the force. If something develops help them by getting them the medicine and counseling help they need in order to stay employed. Reward Officers/precincts with bonuses where they generate better outcomes. Actually prosecute officers who violate the rules. 
Limit the use of when and how they can use guns.

There is a whole host of things we can and should do ASAP, to get better outcomes than we are getting. With as much money and these police forces receive we should be getting more efficacy than we are. Kinda reminds me of healthcare in this country. We spend more than anybody and still get ****ty outcomes, that has to change.

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mistertim said:

LOL. That second pic...****ing goobers couldn't even draw a swastika correctly. 

Not that the intent is funny, obviously. But it just speaks to the intelligence and ability levels of the people who would do that sort of thing.

That is exactly what I was thinking. As a jew, I find that more funny than offensive.  

• Like 2

https://www.yahoo.com/news/temecula-mayor-resigns-backlash-over-143222412.html

Temecula mayor resigns after backlash over email about police killings

Temecula Mayor James “Stew” Steward resigned Thursday evening amid backlash over an email he wrote about police killings that went viral.

On Tuesday, a resident requested information regarding Steward's plans to end police violence and racial policing in the community, stating, "This issue is very important to me and my family."

Steward’s email response was posted online, sparking controversy among residents. The 11:02 p.m. reply stated: “I don’t believe any good person of color has been killed by police.” He went on to say that he had several African American friends, which sparked outrage on social media.

Steward publicly responded to the backlash his email generated, stating the message was sent over voice-text and that he did not proofread what was recorded. As a result, he said his words were taken out of context and that he meant that no good person of color was murdered by police in Temecula or Riverside County. He also reaffirmed he did not tolerate racism and asked for forgiveness, which garnered mixed results online.

Critics were quick to respond to his apology, citing the 1998 death of Tyisha Miller, a 19-year-old black woman who was killed by police as she sat in her car at a Riverside gas station.

Hannah de la Cruz, a 33-year-old resident, called Stewart’s response to the email passive and disrespectful.

“After all the events that have transpired, the words our elected officials use are even more important,” de la Cruz said. “I do agree with him resigning. It’s the very least he owes us.”

Some residents — like Jennifer Evans, a 39-year-old legal assistant who has lived in the city for two years — were disappointed in Steward’s resignation.

“Not only are we losing a mayor that has proven he loves his community, but our safe haven has become polarized due to these events,” Evans said.

Kevin Willis, a 35-year-old resident and president of Veterans Advocacy Associates, said Steward is an example of a "good, community-oriented citizen." Willis said he believed the situation was blown out of proportion.

“Not to discount the real raw emotions that we are experiencing in society at the moment, we need to be careful not to let the people who are trying to better society get rounded up with the bad actors who are the true problem,” Willis said.

Steward said he was hurt by citizens who do not know him personally labeling him as racist.

“It was incredibly horrible timing, but at the same time, I need to protect the city too,” he said in an interview. “With the massive protest [on Friday], this could cause the city much more harm and focus on the city that doesn't belong there, so I figured I’d just resign.”

Steward took to Facebook, one of his main forms of communication with residents, to announce his resignation and apologize for his “off-the-cuff response to an email on a serious topic.” Steward was elected to the City Council in 2016 and began serving as mayor this year.

“My whole goal was to bring the council to the people. I was always on Facebook, always communicating with the residents about what was happening — the good, the bad and the indifferent,” he said.

Councilman Matt Rahn said his time working with Steward was relatively positive and Steward's presence helped the council reach equitable decisions. However, Rahn said he was “very critical" of what he called Steward's casual language and style of shooting from the hip on consequential issues during his time as mayor

“City business should not be done on social media. That's why we have city meetings,” Rahn said. “Being a mayor or any elected official demands a level of care that lets people know they are being heard.”

Rahn said Steward’s comments in the viral email did not reflect the thoughts of the city or the City Council.

“It was unacceptable, and frankly our city deserves better,” Rahn said.

Mayor Pro Tem Maryann Edwards said in a statement: “Stew is a hard-working and honest man. Temecula is poised to close this chapter and continue our long-term commitment to preventing racial injustice in any form.”

Edwards will take on mayoral duties for the remainder of 2020.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

I threw that **** in the trash and cleaned my hands really good.

That's what gave me some hope that it was just idiot kids.

I agree about it being kids. 16-24ish. My guess is there was alcohol involved. If they were true nazis they'd probably have the swastika thing down by now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

In addition, Mayor Muriel Bowser has renamed the street "Black Lives Matter Plaza."

Shortly after 11 a.m., a city worker hung up a “Black Lives Matter Plz NW” sign at the corner of 16th and H streets NW.

“There was a dispute this week about whose street it is, and Mayor Bowser wanted to make it abundantly clear whose street it is and honor the peaceful demonstrators who assembled Monday night,” said John Falcicchio, the mayor’s chief of staff.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/bowser-black-lives-matter-street/2020/06/05/eb44ff4a-a733-11ea-bb20-ebf0921f3bbd_story.html

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kurd Cudins said:

I agree about it being kids. 16-24ish. My guess is there was alcohol involved. If they were true nazis they'd probably have the swastika thing down by now.

Their execution was poor. 🙂

It's a shame that people would feel so neglected.... that they would even seek negative attention.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

agree we put so much worth on a college education in this country.  I am hoping what comes out of this pandemic forces a ton of universities close down and more trade schools open.