Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2021 o line thread

bakedtater1

10 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

One thing I've never understood, is when you fully know that your O-Line is weak, then why not enlist the help of a blocking RB and/or extra TE on pass plays at least ?

We do sometimes and the pass pro is still bad.   Plus our TE personnel are not great blockers in general.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:
Bills released G Quinton Spain.

we lost Joshua Garnett to retirement yesterday.... please get Spain in here ASAP!!

We need to jump on that.

They just gave him a 3 year, 15 Mil extension.

He played all 16 games last year, and did not allow a sack.

Something controversial apparently happened behind the scenes, and if you read between the lines of Spain's quote and find it credible, it sounds like it wasn't anything of his own fault.

Ek3iRnPVMAA8OTi.jpg

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So our Tackles are expected to be Lucas III and Sharpe for a while ?

Yikes.  I wonder if Donald Penn would have been willing to come back if he knew beforehand that Christian was going to be the starter.   That would have provided quality depth.   Your young guys don't develop unless you play them so I understand moving on from Penn as the starter, but we are not really developing Lucas and Sharpe.  

• 2 weeks later...

Been watching a lot of QB breakdowns of Haskins and Allen; I didn’t realize how bad our OL has really been.  This is not a defense of Haskins because he did not play well at all, but the line didn’t help.  We allow free runners way to often and any kind of delayed DL stunt seems to be beyond our OLs ability to adjust.  Allen reads D’s a bit quicker and gets rid of the ball quicker so he looks better, but we need serious help.  Between free agency and the draft if the OL doesn’t improve they will not win.  Maybe Charles develops into a starting OT, maybe not but I still believe games are won within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage.  We have dedicated much effort and resources of the defensive side, time to give some to the other side.  Until then, we better run the ball well or we won’t win another game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, evmiii said:

We have dedicated much effort and resources of the defensive side, time to give some to the other side.

clearly their plan was to build a defensive wall vs divisional opponents that had league leading running backs and QBs.  now things have evolved and they could realistically draft a piece and sign the rest in finishing up on the rebuild.  its not as cut and dry as you're stating nor is it reasonable to pout about it.  

2 hours ago, TheShredder said:

clearly their plan was to build a defensive wall vs divisional opponents that had league leading running backs and QBs.  now things have evolved and they could realistically draft a piece and sign the rest in finishing up on the rebuild.  its not as cut and dry as you're stating nor is it reasonable to pout about it.  

I’m not implying that it is easy or pouting.  I fully understand in the NFC East it is particularly important to be able to stop the run.  I’m simply stating our current OL is not very good.  I sincerely hope that those responsible for such things acknowledges this and has a plan to address the problem.

On 11/6/2020 at 8:20 PM, evmiii said:

Allen reads D’s a bit quicker and gets rid of the ball quicker so he looks better, but we need serious help.  Between free agency and the draft if the OL doesn’t improve they will not win.  Maybe Charles develops into a starting OT, maybe not but I still believe games are won within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage.  We have dedicated much effort and resources of the defensive side, time to give some to the other side.  Until then, we better run the ball well or we won’t win another game.

I agree that we need OL help and need to invest resources on it.  Hope we shore that up in the off-season.  I'm tired of watching our QBs run for their lives even if it isn't quite as bad as I expected. Give the QB time and even a mediocre QB succeeds (just imo of course). 

On 11/9/2020 at 8:05 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Lucas may have played well enough to win the starting LT job...for now.

the OL has been more encouraging of late, not great by any means, but encouraging.

It’s helping in the prioritisation of offseason needs.

• Like 1