Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2021 o line thread

bakedtater1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Unless i am forgettng I am pretty sure the gist of your point before the season when we debated this is you think the Redskins O line was average and we were too harsh on Christian.  I recall saying there were some who said they heard Christian didn't play with the intensity they'd like to see, and you questioned whether that was true.  Then I posted Keim saying it and you thanked me for that post. 

I am bringing this up because I do recall what solicited some of the debate was you not really thinking our O line wasn't that bad, if I recall correctly?  

So I brought up the Giants since they have historically (in recent years) have had a bad O line and said I think they've added some youth and better players to their O line and I think they potentially will be if anything above average.  And our O line is likely below average.   Will the Giants O line be above average based on game 1?  I can't say definitively one way or another.  Will the Redskins O line be bad as I thought it would be?  Can't definitively say one way or another.

But correct me if I am wrong but the overall point you are making now is more or less you wouldn't trade the Giants O line for ours because its equally bad.  If so, I think you are wrong and its not really even that close.  But will see. 

The Giants OL is unequivocally better than ours. Andrew Thomas is a mile better than we have at OT. I'd swap our lines for theirs in a second. 

• Like 2

Personally I've seen enough of Geron Christian. To be a young, bad player and not be motivated to work hard to improve is a sin as a professional athlete.  Now that he's taking his job seriously he's still terrible.  What is the status of Lucas anyway?  Obviously Charles is not close but seems to me Lucas would be a better option. 

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

17 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Personally I've seen enough of Geron Christian. To be a young, bad player and not be motivated to work hard to improve is a sin as a professional athlete.  Now that he's taking his job seriously he's still terrible.  What is the status of Lucas anyway?  Obviously Charles is not close but seems to me Lucas would be a better option. 

Charles is practicing. He’s on pics and videos posted by the team social media.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

A little bit better than I expected.

This is just for OL engaged in a block right?

I think some of this makes sense.  Like how we left Brandon Graham unblocked on the backside twice early on and he crashed hard and took out the RB.  It wouldn't be reflected in the RBWR stat, but it would in the R-EPA/P stat.

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

We simply need to invest on the OL next offseason. Let them fight it out this year. Many are going to crash and burn. Pick up the pieces, but we must invest next year, high in the draft and also with some FA cash.

Do you re-sign Scherff for the premium he'd command?

4 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

In my opinion that it still very much up in the air... if he continues to play at the medicore level he's been at for over a year, then I'd say no way do you re-sign him at an AAV of over $15 million.  Some team out there may be willing to do so, but I think we can find 80% of that level of production for 25% of that price.  If he balls out the rest of the year and Moses and Chase and Charles make up a serviceable unit, then yes.

2 minutes ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

In my opinion that it still very much up in the air... if he continues to play at the medicore level he's been at for over a year, then I'd say no way do you re-sign him at an AAV of over $15 million.  Some team out there may be willing to do so, but I think we can find 80% of that level of production for 25% of that price.  If he balls out the rest of the year and Moses and Chase and Charles make up a serviceable unit, then yes.

I agree 100% with this. I'd also say that he needs to stay healthy. He's averaged 11 games a year over the last 3. That just isn't worth 15 million at OG. 

15 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I’ve always said yes to that. Now, I’m really not sure. I think we have issues at tackle that are more pressing.

However, I also don’t like the fact we will have tagged him and then he potentially walks.

The cap could be low next year. I think he would need to be borderline elite this year to get paid. 

• Like 1

I’d also add, the development of Charles is critical. We need him to turn into a viable LT or LG at worst. I think Roullier may be out of contract too, so can Ismael step up? 

In terms of roster and cap management for 2021, we could do with those two rookies stepping up.

If our O-line is gonna suck this bad all year, we can very easily suck next yr without paying a guy $15 mil

I think Sheriff needs the whole line to produce better if he wants to get paid by us. Otherwise we can just hit the reset button and implode the whole line.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

If our O-line is gonna suck this bad all year, we can very easily suck next yr without paying a guy $15 mil

I think Sheriff needs the whole line to produce better if he wants to get paid. Otherwise we can just hit the reset button and implode the whole line.

Broadly, I think you could be right.

6 hours ago, mhd24 said:

I think the Giants may have made a mistake in taking Thomas over Beckton/Wills.  Those guys look dominating (especially Beckton).

It’s one game and the Giants played a much... much... much... better pass rushing team than NYJ did last week and the Browns played this week. Baltimore is very good, and Wills held his own... But Wills is a very good player. 

Too early to pass judgement.