Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I like this...

Trevor Lawrence is the best NFL QB draft prospect since... Justin Fields

Penai Sewell is the best NFL LT draft prospect since... Jonathan Ogden/Anthony Munoz

Micah Parsons is the best NFL 4-3 LB draft prospect since... Darius Leonard or Dre Greenlaw

Ja'Marr Chase is the best NFL WR draft prospect since... DK Metcalf

The guys with shorter time frames aren't as "generational" as the others listed. And because I'm sure you'll ask...

Justin Fields is the best NFL QB draft prospect since... Justin Herbert.

(I'm using their pro careers to base these answers, by the way. Sometimes these dudes are so overrated as prospects that it's scary. And we all do it :ols:)

I understand that, but I guess I was comparing them to other draft prospects.   Most people say Lawrence is teh best draft prospect since Andrew Luck though of course there have been 4 or 5 QB's that came into the league since 2012 that are arguably better than Luck (Mahomes, Wilson--though he might have come in the same year as Luck, Watson, Lamar Jackson).  Is Dre Greenlaw that good?

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Penai Sewell is the best NFL LT draft prospect since... Jonathan Ogden/Anthony Munoz

That's real, real high praise. Side note--I did track and field in HS, and actually "competed" against Ogden. I say "competed" as I was in the same events as him: Shot put and discus. He threw the shot put farther than I threw the discus.

We're sitting at 2: Fields or Sewell?

8 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I understand that, but I guess I was comparing them to other draft prospects.   Most people say Lawrence is teh best draft prospect since Andrew Luck though of course there have been 4 or 5 QB's that came into the league since 2012 that are arguably better than Luck (Mahomes, Wilson--though he might have come in the same year as Luck, Watson, Lamar Jackson).  Is Dre Greenlaw that good?

Yes. In MY opinion, as good as Nick Bosa is and opened a lot up for SF, Dre Greenlaw was the unsung hero. In the playoffs against Minny he shadowed Dalvin Cook basically all game. Go look up Cook’s stat line. 

Greenlaw is the real deal imo.

6 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

That's real, real high praise. Side note--I did track and field in HS, and actually "competed" against Ogden. I say "competed" as I was in the same events as him: Shot put and discus. He threw the shot put farther than I threw the discus.

Fields. As long as we try to address OL. It’s hard to pass on the QB.

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

That is tough.  Sewell is the better player, but QB is the more important position.   You can have a great LT and if your QB sucks it won't get you far.  You can have a middle of teh pack LT and if your QB is good, you are probably will have a good offense.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Gonna download and take a listen today. This is a spot where a LB like Parsons (and others who I haven’t watched in enough detail yet) would make a big improvement, but we’d still need to add more.

From a roster analytic aspect, even KPL, who people say is a good LB for us, is below par for what we need as a starter at the position. KPL is a great guy to have come in situationally. He can make enough plays to stick to the roster and he obviously knows the game. I’d LOVE to re-up him. But we need two real starters. Guys who can cover AND play downhill. Doesn’t have to be elite, but can do both.

KPL has come back down to earth from last year and part of that is the small sample size. Unfortunately, I agree with Cooley that he can't handle man coverage and over-runs his responsibilities. I don't know if that is something that will consistently happen or calm down in time, because I've seen him over-shoot his leverage in multiple phases of the game. However, he can handle zone and flat responsibilities and I like his run fits for the most part, plus he's got good athleticism to recover at some points though. He's still the best linebacker on our team right now, because Bostic is ****ing atrocious in coverage and I think SDH isn't even seeing snaps anymore. The middle of the field is basically a gimme for teams with halfway decent tight ends.

20 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Upcoming games with interesting prospects:

Friday night: BYU at 9:30 on ESPN, Zack Wilson is worth taking a look at.

Saturday:

Clemson at Noon (even if it's just to watch Travis Etienne) on ABC

Miami is at Noon as well, I've seen Brevin Jordan as a high second round pick on the ACC Network

Boston College has a monster TE worth watching, Hunter Long (Junior, so might return) at 7:30 on the ACC Network

BC plays VT who also has Christian Darrisaw who I've seen a few jaw dropping clips of

NC is at 730 on ABC. I've seen Sam Howell floated as a top QB in 22, should we miss out this year

Feel free to add others to watch.

Chazz Surrat, the LB for NC is someone I'm keeping an eye on. He seems to have cleaned up his missed tackle problem from last season and I like the energy he plays with. He's still learning and relatively new to the position, but his growth curve has been promising and he's productive.

3 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

KPL has come back down to earth from last year and part of that is the small sample size. Unfortunately, I agree with Cooley that he can't handle man coverage and over-runs his responsibilities. I don't know if that is something that will consistently happen or calm down in time, because I've seen him over-shoot his leverage in multiple phases of the game. However, he can handle zone and flat responsibilities and I like his run fits for the most part, plus he's got good athleticism to recover at some points though. He's still the best linebacker on our team right now, because Bostic is ****ing atrocious in coverage and I think SDH isn't even seeing snaps anymore. The middle of the field is basically a gimme for teams with halfway decent tight ends.

Chazz Surrat, the LB for NC is someone I'm keeping an eye on. He seems to have cleaned up his missed tackle problem from last season and I like the way he plays. He's still learning and relatively new to the position, but his growth curve has been promising and he's productive.

The weird part for me is I remember a lot of these guys from being HS prospects.  Christian Darrisaw was a super raw prospect out of Maryland for example who the Terps didn't offer partly because he played at school that didn't play any real competition so he was a huge question market and they wanted to see him in person before they offered.   I guess he turned out pretty good.  I don't follow the ACC near as close as I did when Maryland was in it.

On 10/11/2020 at 2:32 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

We lucked out the Giants chose the wrong OT at #4.

Lucky, but also a very Giants pick. Conservative, lunk-headed obsession with particulars schools, and conferences w/little nuance. It's early still, and this is not a year for quality offensive line play. More than any other position line play involves working with, communicating and spending time intuiting how to play together. That gets wrecked by offseasons like this one, and cluster injuries that have been happening w/ever greater regularity. I suspect he'll be fine, just definitively not a top LT in a class loaded with them, the pick was stupid at the time, and just looks more foolish now. 

On 10/11/2020 at 2:38 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

I just wonder where the wins are coming from?  Looking at the schedule, maybe the NY Giants.  The Giants though have really been neck and neck in every game they've played, except for the SF one, including so far today and last week versus the Rams.   But its possible we beat them.  Maybe the Lions? Cincy?

If Fields lives to his hype he's going #2.  I love O line but I can't see a hyped QB going after a LT.   So if Sewell goes #3, that might be us. 

It would strike me as really foolish. We've landed two of the best five OT's the past two decades and it hasn't meant a damn thing. You win with a QB. The league is designed for that, was before the changes the past two decades, but especially now. Get the QB, then build the lines/DB's/playmakers. That's how it gets built, and since QB's are impossible (or nearly so) to acquire via trade or free agency, you try to address other positions that way, and keep swinging at QB till you hit. 

It is a rough year though. Too bad these guys weren't available last year (then again I would've gone QB at 2 last year as well, was a no brainer to me). 

So many bad teams: the worst on a game to game basis w/no hope and quitting potential feel like:

NYG

NYJ

These two are so bad its unbelievable, but the Giants do have playmaking talent still, the Jets have nothing. 

--------

The next tier is filled w/teams that could go either way:

Philly: OL issues have been a nightmare, still, they have two results so far. 

Miami: Great coaching means they probably will win 4+

Cincy: Legit talent at playmaking spots, but the horrible OL is getting Burrow killed. If he goes down, they look 1-14-1 to me.

Jacksonville: Sneaky good offensive prospects, and a reasonable QB, but they were trying to tank, and just had too much offensive talent to avoid stealing a win. Could go 1-15, could go 6-10, and Minchew knows his career is on the line, if he doesnt win 5+, they definitely take or trade up for a QB. 

Denver: The Lock and Sutton injuries are the only reason they could contend for a pick.

Houston: Bill O'Brien destroyed the teams Cap, and it's draft assets, no reason to tank, and the offense has weapons. They should win some games unless the team quits. 

Atlanta: Same as above, the offense is good enough to get them 4-6 wins, but will they quit?

Detroit: Same as above. 

Minny: they're better than this, a weird season.

My guess is by seasons end it will be all about NYG, NYJ, Jacksonville, Cincy, us, and whichever one of those potential quitting teams, actually does quit (Atlanta, Houston, Detroit, Minny, Phillyish)

I suspect we finish 3-13 or 4-12, praying we finish 1-15. 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Gonna download and take a listen today. This is a spot where a LB like Parsons (and others who I haven’t watched in enough detail yet) would make a big improvement, but we’d still need to add more.

From a roster analytic aspect, even KPL, who people say is a good LB for us, is below par for what we need as a starter at the position. KPL is a great guy to have come in situationally. He can make enough plays to stick to the roster and he obviously knows the game. I’d LOVE to re-up him. But we need two real starters. Guys who can cover AND play downhill. Doesn’t have to be elite, but can do both.

5 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

It would strike me as really foolish. We've landed two of the best five OT's the past two decades and it hasn't meant a damn thing. You win with a QB. The league is designed for that, was before the changes the past two decades, but especially now. Get the QB, then build the lines/DB's/playmakers. That's how it gets built, and since QB's are impossible (or nearly so) to acquire via trade or free agency, you try to address other positions that way, and keep swinging at QB till you hit. 

That was my point, QB > LT.   So yeah I think we all or at least most here agree on that.

6 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

My guess is by seasons end it will be all about NYG, NYJ, Jacksonville, Cincy, us, and whichever one of those potential quitting teams, actually does quit (Atlanta, Houston, Detroit, Minny, Phillyish)

I suspect we finish 3-13 or 4-12, praying we finish 1-15. 

I am thinking 3-13.  They win one of the Giants game and then some other random one, maybe the Cincy one.

From Draft Network

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/should-the-giants-draft-a-top-3-qb-in-2021

DANIEL JONES VS. TREVOR LAWRENCE

Do we really need to explore this? Yes. The answer is absolutely, positively, unequivocally yes. If the Giants' season flounders to the point of futility and they finish with the No. 1 pick in the 2021 draft, there is no decision to be made. The Giants should absolutely draft Trevor Lawrence (with new management), push the reset button, and write off their sunk cost of the pick used on Jones as necessary collateral to land the best quarterback prospect on this side of Andrew Luck.

Lawrence makes the decision easy with such a strong start to his 2020 campaign at Clemson too. He's currently playing inspired football and leaving little to no doubt about his qualifications as a top prospect. Jones has potential, but there's not a single thing he does better than Lawrence. As a result, this proposition would be a no-brainer for the Giants.

DANIEL JONES VS. JUSTIN FIELDS

This is where things do get a little interesting. Justin Fields plays in a very different style of offense from the one we saw Jones commandeer at Duke. Fields' passing attack at Ohio State is more of a true spread, but that also isn't necessarily a bad thing. Fields has a live arm; his baseball background is apparent and allows him to sling the ball all over the field from all sorts of angles with success, not dissimilar to how Kyler Murray (as an example) is able to drop his arm slot and throw around defenders or throw with velocity on the move. It's electric to watch, and that is probably the deciding factor for me: I would absolutely draft Fields to upgrade over Jones.

Fields has yet to take a snap this season but so long as he plays to the standard he set in 2019, he's a clear and obvious upgrade for his skill in accuracy and ability to create plays as a runner. Jones is an athlete and has beaten man coverage with his legs in the past, but he's a much lesser manager of the pocket than Fields. Fields will be guilty of dropping his eyes when he feels the rush and is prone to flushing out the pocket, but that's better than the alternative in Jones, which is to not feel the rush at all. It’s that lack of awareness that’s a big reason why Jones has rolled up 54 sacks and 14 fumbles lost in his young career.

Fields doesn't have those issues; he's an equal or better athlete and he's got better accuracy. This feels like a straightforward decision for me.

DANIEL JONES VS. TREY LANCE

If I were the Giants, this would be the toughest assessment to make. If New York is outside the top-three picks and presumably out of striking distance for Fields or Lawrence, then it must take a long, hard look at what it has in Jones and be honest about his ceiling; because in the case of both of the former two quarterbacks, a clear upgrade was there to be had. And when any upgrade opportunity presents itself, it is an easy call to make. Trey Lance can be much better than Jones. But with where he's at right now, it almost feels like a lateral move at best to transition away from Jones and draft Lance. Lance is a redshirt sophomore with a very slim number of pass attempts under his belt at the FCS level. He may be the most physically talented of the three quarterbacks—it’s close—but he's far and away the most raw; and the Giants already have a physically gifted, raw passer on their hands in Jones.

PFF likes KPL a lot more than some in here.  The only reason I wouldn't keep him as a starter next year and beyond is due to his age.  But he does have very little tread on his tires, and could prolong his prime playing next to a player like Parsons (that alliteration was beautiful).

11. WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM

The Football Team as a whole has had a brutal start to the 2020 season, but their coverage unit has surpassed expectations so far, allowing positive EPA on 45% of pass plays faced, the fourth-lowest rate in the NFL.

Kendall Fuller made his 2020 debut back in Week 3 and has impressed ever since, earning an 86.2 coverage grade and allowing a 16.2 passer rating in coverage while recording more pass breakups and interceptions (four) than catches allowed (three). Meanwhile, cornerback Ronald Darby has given up a handful of really big plays but has held his own overall by earning a 70.0 coverage grade — significantly better than the 39.8 mark he had in 2019 with the Eagles. Linebacker Kevin Pierre-Louis, who was signed to a one-year, $3.45 million contract this offseason, has been the secret superstar of this team, though. The linebacker has earned an 87.5 coverage grade through five weeks, the fifth-best at the position.

On 10/11/2020 at 2:46 PM, KDawg said:

I don't have any doubt Fields is a better prospect than Haskins. But this year will tell us a lot about him. I will always view Haskins as overdrafted (As a top 3 QB in any draft will almost ALWAYS be). Haskins probably should have had a third round grade. I think Fields is a first round grade. Where in the first is what I'm leaving to evaluation this year.

The problem with Haskins was that like a lot of QB's in off QB years, he goes higher. If he was available for '18 or '20, he's a second rounder, he's definitely not a top half of round 1 guy, but he came out in the worst QB class since 2014, so he went much higher than a Qb would normaly go. In this class he might've been a third rounder. There's grade inflation w/QB's because w/o QB's teams are screwed, if we hadn't taken him there, somebody else would have taken him in round 1. It's not like he was gonna fall to pick 91 if we weren't idiots. He was the second or third best viewed QB prospect in a weak class. Even in weak classes those guys still typically go top 20 and at worst, early during day 2. 

I don't feel bad about it, he had a great year as a starter, looked great, and had potential. Looks like has neither the mental make up, nor the ability to make the jump, like more than half of 1st round QB's historically. When you miss, you get backup and try again, as we should have last year, and as we may next year and however long it takes to finally get it right. 

1 minute ago, The Consigliere said:

The problem with Haskins was that like a lot of QB's in off QB years, he goes higher. If he was available for '18 or '20, he's a second rounder, he's definitely not a top half of round 1 guy, but he came out in the worst QB class since 2014, so he went much higher than a Qb would normaly go. In this class he might've been a third rounder. There's grade inflation w/QB's because w/o QB's teams are screwed, if we hadn't taken him there, somebody else would have taken him in round 1. It's not like he was gonna fall to pick 91 if we weren't idiots. He was the second or third best viewed QB prospect in a weak class. Even in weak classes those guys still typically go top 20 and at worst, early during day 2. 

I don't feel bad about it, he had a great year as a starter, looked great, and had potential. Looks like has neither the mental make up, nor the ability to make the jump, like more than half of 1st round QB's historically. When you miss, you get backup and try again, as we should have last year, and as we may next year and however long it takes to finally get it right. 

Yup. This is what I was saying in the post you quoted.

On 10/11/2020 at 8:52 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Hubbard and Journey Brown are special too.

Najee isn't as fast as the other three but he makes everything look so easy.  Tremendous functional power and balance and body control.  The game is just easier when you're that big.  He's LeVeon Bell 2.0.

The other three have world class speed and will be among the fastest true RBs in the NFL next year.  Yesterday was a showcase game for Harris and Etienne and I think there is a good chance one of them wins the Heisman this year.  They're superstars.

I don't think he's in Etienne's class, but time will tell. I definitely don't think he's Lev Bell, and in fairness, neither was Bell in college. He simply radically improved as a runner and athlete between his time at Michigan State, and by year 2 w/Pittsburgh, he's one of the most unusual RB talents I've seen in decades, and we won't see another like him in terms of style. I'm not saying best, just unusual. I've never seen someone run w/patience and the ability to read and react and process information as quickly and not get constantly stuffed because of such thinking before in the modern era. Then you add the hands/receiving game prowess, and the athleticism which wasn't really there (must have got a nutritionist and a team) and it's just incredible. 

We'll see how Harris turns out. Definitely an interesting prospect, I just like Etienne better as a more explosive weapon. his #'s are flat out insane on a per touch basis. 

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

As much as I love Sewell, I'd probably have to go with Fields. This is also assuming that Kyle Allen doesn't randomly just start balling out for the rest of the season, which I don't think will be the case. As others said, Sewell is a better player overall but positional value comes into play. If you need a QB, you're picking that high, and a top prospect is there you pull the trigger.

On 10/11/2020 at 4:22 PM, carex said:

yep, that's why I can't stand our fans

Really? It's been 27 years of nothing but horse ---- and you're blaming fans? Seriously? Worst owner in the NFL, consistently bottom 5 F.O.'s, consistently horrible teams (bottom 5 easy since 1993), one of the most hated stadiums in the league, and the F.O. can't stay out of the news for god awful stories. The fans have had their faces rubbed in a manure pile for four decades. Maybe they have a right to be cranky. The team can't even be lovable in it's losing and ineptness like the Cubs, or funny in how cheap and stupid they were (before the racism) like the Clippers, it's just an awful franchise run by a vile cretin, and it has been in this tail spin since I turned 18 and Gibbs retired and I'm 45 now.  Kurt Cobain was still making music when this team was last relevant in back to back seasons. 

The last people to point at and criticize are the fans. When you give them a god awful product for decades, plural, they have a right, at some point, to send it back, a la restaurant service. 

4 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Really? It's been 27 years of nothing but horse ---- and you're blaming fans? Seriously? Worst owner in the NFL, consistently bottom 5 F.O.'s, consistently horrible teams (bottom 5 easy since 1993), one of the most hated stadiums in the league, and the F.O. can't stay out of the news for god awful stories. The fans have had their faces rubbed in a manure pile for four decades. Maybe they have a right to be cranky. The team can't even be lovable in it's losing and ineptness like the Cubs, or funny in how cheap and stupid they were (before the racism) like the Clippers, it's just an awful franchise run by a vile cretin, and it has been in this tail spin since I turned 18 and Gibbs retired and I'm 45 now.  Kurt Cobain was still making music when this team was last relevant in back to back seasons. 

The last people to point at and criticize are the fans. When you give them a god awful product for decades, plural, they have a right, at some point, to send it back, a la restaurant service. 

I'm not blaming fans for the failure, I'm blaming fans for their attitude.

No one is forcing them to be fans.  Snyder is not taking their money at gunpoint.  If the team brings them no happiness, move on, go away, stop talking about them, stop thinking about them, and stop bringing down fans who don't share their views

This is not sending it back ala restaurant service.  This is walking into the same restaurant even though you hate it, shouting to your fellow doners "This restaurant is terrible, the food will never improve, nothing they do will make things better, everyone is a fool for eating here," at least every Sunday and planning to come back the next week or day

On 10/11/2020 at 6:57 PM, Warhead36 said:

Sewell is my pick if we don't get Lawrence. We've had a franchise LT for basically the last 20 years(Samuels 2000-2009, Williams from 2010 till 2018 basically). Sewell projects to be BETTER than both. You get him and the rest of the OL is easier because you have a guy who can single block and take his guy out of the game. Get a couple decent Gs in FA. Moses and Roullier are serviceable for now at RT and C.

See I like to argue the other side of that.

We had franchise OT's basically nonstop from 2000-2018 and were NEVER relevant as a football team EVER in that time period. The last time we scared anyone at all was 1999, and by and large the last time we were relevant in actuality was January 1992. That great LT play bought us all of 1 playoff victory in 19 seasons. Straight pass on taking any OT over a QB prospect.

Regardless, the secret to quality OL play is building with multiple pieces and adding depth for cluster injuries. I don't disagree that having an oustanding LT would be lovely, in terms of value, after QB, you can put LT right up there with Edge, and DB in terms of relevance, but it definitely cannot and should not trump QB. We had All Pro caliber LT play for two decades and it didn't mean ----. Heck we even had legit bookeneds for nearly a decade in Samuels and Jansen and that didn't matter either. Get the QB and build him that OL afterwards, sure I'd like to have the OL in place before the QB is there so we don't David Carr him, but landing a legit QB trumps all and if we have needs in both spots, get the QB first because it's the hardest asset to acquire in the NFL. You can get Guards, Tackles and Centers in FA, via trades and in the draft. Free Agent QB's are almost never available, period. There's a reason that Drew Brees actually moving was such a shock, it took another decade plus for it to happen again with Cousins, and it's not like Cousins was Brees either. 

Get the QB, period. If you can land OL help in FA do it, otherwise, try to draft it after you get the QB. You can even make trades for guys too. We have more lineman than we can retain on the DL afterall, could always trade one of them for help.  

On 10/12/2020 at 2:58 AM, KDawg said:

What’s scary about free agency is that guys can say no to signing here... which means even the best laid plans don’t matter. The answer becomes the draft. But in order to be competitive next season, we’re going to need a few FA hits. 

We're not going to be competitive next season. People need to move off that kind of idea. Rock bottom rarely shoots to the top in one offseason. We were 31st in the league in '19, now we're bottom 5 basicaly, we'll be bottom 5-10 last season unless we take a FA mirage to 7-9 and I doubt that. Plan to suck in '21, rebuild it over 3 seasons so it lasts instead of constantly trying to find short cuts. The only short cut available EVER is a hit on a rookie QB because of the cost cutting salary control. Other than that, it takes lots of time. 

4 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

We're not going to be competitive next season. People need to move off that kind of idea. Rock bottom rarely shoots to the top in one offseason. We were 31st in the league in '19, now we're bottom 5 basicaly, we'll be bottom 5-10 last season unless we take a FA mirage to 7-9 and I doubt that. Plan to suck in '21, rebuild it over 3 seasons so it lasts instead of constantly trying to find short cuts. The only short cut available EVER is a hit on a rookie QB because of the cost cutting salary control. Other than that, it takes lots of time. 

Well aware and agreed.

On 10/12/2020 at 10:06 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

That was my #1 receiver in the last draft, stinks he's in Dallas

Consensus #1, and it was seriously aggravating to see the Raiders pull a Raider and let him drop to the Cowboys. He was the consensus #1 in the analytics community, was 1A or 1B to Jeudy depending upon who you talked to in terms of tape grinders. 

My rankings at the time I started drafting in dynasty:

Tier 1:
1.Lamb
2.Jeudy
3.Reagor

Tier 2:
4.Shenault
5. Jefferson

Tier 3:
6.Mims
7.Ruggs
8.Higgins
9.Aiyuk

Tier 4:
10.Edwards
11.Pittman

Looking like Claypool was a big miss for me (I had him 12th), but I was ahead of the curve on Shenault versus consensus (as were the Jags who had him crazy high on their board). 
On 10/12/2020 at 6:30 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

I didn't see that coming at all. Thought he was a high ceiling/low floor guy, and the low floor odds I would've put at 55/45 or 60/40. Missed on him. really wish we had drafted him, would've made everything easier, but nobody saw this coming this fast, not even the chargers. 

Archived