Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's A blank slate.  He basically has no record at picking QBs.  I have no idea if he is any good at evaluating the position at all, much less formulating a plan for how to support and develop it.

I don't know that he'll get fired, why would Ron bother to do that after all?  He has no power over the coaching staff and why would Ron want to give up power and invite the team to hire a real GM by firing Smith?  We're clearly hoping Smith will grow into the GM job over time, but since we're starting at square one of a rebuild and our coach is very sick, a trainee GM is something we can't afford.  We needed to hire a real one before we hired our coach.  We need to hire one today. But now that process is going to be very messy if it actually haooens because, in all likelihood, it's going to have to be conducted against Ron's wishes and above his head because it will strip him of power he's already been able to enjoy.  Either that or we just end up with another neutered GM who isn't a real improvement.

His ability to evaluate is my cause for optimism. John Schneider for example (after he was allowed to walk out of Landover) was able to put a defense and a running game in place that made Russell Wilson's life very cushy his first couple of years until the training wheels were ready to come off. Obviously the coaching staff still had a lot to do, but setting up that favorable situation is a big part of the development process. A lot of good things have been said about Kyle Smith around the NFL but my concern is also whether or not he'll be allowed to run the team with full autonomy. 

Watched Micah Parsons...

The Good:

• He plays downhill at all times. Sometimes he gets downhill so well that it looks like a called blitz, but it's not. You can tell by the way he delays and shoots into the gap
  • Smart player, has an idea of what the other team is trying to accomplish
  • Tackles well. In space and in tight quarters.
  • Athletic
  • Good bend
  • Block destruction when going against OL at the LoS is very good. Fast hands and hand fights well.
  • Outstanding change of direction. Against Pitt a tight end is assigned to block him from a wide 9. At the snap he jabs steps inside, but the tight end doesn't react to that step and keeps his aiming point as Parson's outside shoulder. So Parsons, without moving his head, jab steps with his outside foot. The tight end over sets towards the outside of him and Parsons shifts his weight back to his inside foot and shoots the wide open gap virtually untouched. Absolutely beautiful. 

The Questions:

• I'm not sure how good he is in coverage. The stuff I've seen of him has been him dropping into zones. But he seems to be adequate in coverage at least.
  • A lot of his sacks seemed to be based on plays where he was unblocked. But this is a double edged sword because sometimes he's unblocked because he shoots the correct gap and sometimes it's because of blocking scheme. And there are plays in between those two items as well, of course.
  • The little hop move he does on a routine basis is going to get scouted by the NFL offenses and he'll need to work his other moves... (but, to be fair, he also has a nice slap/rip move among others)

Overall:

• Elite change of direction ability
  • Very good tackler
  • Plays Downhill
  • Athletic and has some range to him.

I think he's a first rounder. Likely middle to first part of the draft. I wish we could see him play more this year in bigger games because Penn State is loaded this year and could make a real convincing run. 

EDIT: Adding this thought: he’s not a thumper. He isn’t a downhill and destroy you and make you wish you never made contact. He’s a finesse type of player. But I don’t mean that in a derogatory way. He’s tough. But he’s not a guy that is trying to shed contact by creating it. 

Last year I really liked Quarterman’s style as an inside backer because he plays downhill and hits anything that gets in his way with a absolute eye popping fury. He had severe limitations in coverage,  but was a good box backer.

Parson’s isn’t the same. His coverage ability isn’t as limited and he gets downhill and moves so fluidly that he can make plays without putting too much wear on his treads.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I just watched that breakdown of Fields by O'Sullivan and thought it was very good. He was impressed. He noted a couple of times how Fields had all day to throw, but that it didn't diminish what the play, reads, and skills showed. 

It doesn't diminish that he made the correct read, but its a caveat.  Its a caveat because being able to do those things when rushed is an a separate skill and you don't know if he has that trait.

I read Jon Gruden's memoir after he won the Superbowl with Tampa where he talked about Jeff George.  George went 10-10 in a skeleton passing drill.   Gruden told him he needs to read the routes in order not as go for the deep one.  George said "what are you talking about" I just went 10-10.   First game of the season I think Jeff George got sacked 8 times.

8 minutes ago, philibusters said:

It doesn't diminish that he made the correct read, but its a caveat.  Its a caveat because being able to do those things when rushed is an a separate skill and you don't know if he has that trait.

I read Jon Gruden's memoir after he won the Superbowl with Tampa where he talked about Jeff George.  George went 10-10 in a skeleton passing drill.   Gruden told him he needs to read the routes in order not as go for the deep one.  George said "what are you talking about" I just went 10-10.   First game of the season I think Jeff George got sacked 8 times.

He’s not doing it in a skeleton passing drill. If you watch the film he faces pressure. The question isn’t “can he do it when he faces pressure?” That’s answered.

The question is “can he do it when he faces consistent enough pressure that he isn’t all that confident in his offensive line?”

That we can’t know.

35 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Last year I really liked Quarterman’s style as an inside backer because he plays downhill and hits anything that gets in his way with a absolute eye popping fury. He had severe limitations in coverage,  but was a good box backer.

Parson’s isn’t the same. His coverage ability isn’t as limited and he gets downhill and moves so fluidly that he can make plays without putting too much wear on his treads.

You'd like Sheehan's new podcast with Cooley titled the problem is the LBs.  I haven't listened to it yet but I heard Sheehan talk about it on his show today saying Cooley said that's the main hole on the D. 

Couple of mid round players I had interest in tracking this year were Max Borghi and Alaric Jackson. I have no idea what’s going on with the college football schedule, are they actually playing/ due to play this year?

And Parsons would be great. Just not in the top 3-8 pick type range I think.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You'd like Sheehan's new podcast with Cooley titled the problem is the LBs.  I haven't listened to it yet but I heard Sheehan talk about it on his show today saying Cooley said that's the main hole on the D. 

Gonna download and take a listen today. This is a spot where a LB like Parsons (and others who I haven’t watched in enough detail yet) would make a big improvement, but we’d still need to add more.

From a roster analytic aspect, even KPL, who people say is a good LB for us, is below par for what we need as a starter at the position. KPL is a great guy to have come in situationally. He can make enough plays to stick to the roster and he obviously knows the game. I’d LOVE to re-up him. But we need two real starters. Guys who can cover AND play downhill. Doesn’t have to be elite, but can do both.

We don’t have guys that really do either right now. That’s a big issue and needs to be a focus of draft and FA scouting.

Back to QBs... Fields is a boundary to boundary guy. He uses his eyes and body to get to all of his reads. My hesitation on him is that once in awhile he has a pick and stick tendency where he picks a guy and throws it to them anyways. That’s his scariest trait to me. That’s what I’m going to watch with him. 

Most QBs do a little of that. It’s hard not to. The truly elite don’t do that often, though. Brady in his prime could go anywhere. Now he’s getting in trouble with pick sixes because he does it. Mahomes is a boundary to boundary guy. Wilson is. They ID a D and find the open spot and get the ball to it, regardless of who the receiver is. The top tier receivers will separate into that space more often and ID it themselves on choice patterns. That’s why these guys stand out, sometimes with less forced targets. 

Mahomes is also excellent in getting explosive plays because of his boundary to boundary ability but also extending plays with his runs. 

Some of the biggest struggles of QBs that come in are from pick and stick spread type dudes who have arm talent but don’t progress and once their 1/2 read is taken away they freeze. That’s where guys who can use their legs can open opportunities because of their ability to extend. Josh Allen struggled off the jump with this and has developed into a boundary to boundary guy, who is still learning, because he bought extra time with his legs. 

Fields is better than Lawrence at getting through his reads on a down to down basis. Lawrence tends to get called plays to backs and receivers more often so he has 1-2 reads tops. But there are times where he is excellent progressing. And Lawrence does better than Fields as it pertains to not picking and sticking as often on concept plays. I hope that makes sense. Fields get through his progressions more often but also has more of a tendency to stare down a receiver (this IS an Ohio State quarterback quality). 

So I can see preferences for both. 

29 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Gonna download and take a listen today. This is a spot where a LB like Parsons (and others who I haven’t watched in enough detail yet) would make a big improvement, but we’d still need to add more.

From a roster analytic aspect, even KPL, who people say is a good LB for us, is below par for what we need as a starter at the position. KPL is a great guy to have come in situationally. He can make enough plays to stick to the roster and he obviously knows the game. I’d LOVE to re-up him. But we need two real starters. Guys who can cover AND play downhill. Doesn’t have to be elite, but can do both.

We don’t have guys that really do either right now. That’s a big issue and needs to be a focus of draft and FA scouting.

Back to QBs... Fields is a boundary to boundary guy. He uses his eyes and body to get to all of his reads. My hesitation on him is that once in awhile he has a pick and stick tendency where he picks a guy and throws it to them anyways. That’s his scariest trait to me. That’s what I’m going to watch with him. 

Most QBs do a little of that. It’s hard not to. The truly elite don’t do that often, though. Brady in his prime could go anywhere. Now he’s getting in trouble with pick sixes because he does it. Mahomes is a boundary to boundary guy. Wilson is. They ID a D and find the open spot and get the ball to it, regardless of who the receiver is. The top tier receivers will separate into that space more often and ID it themselves on choice patterns. That’s why these guys stand out, sometimes with less forced targets. 

Mahomes is also excellent in getting explosive plays because of his boundary to boundary ability but also extending plays with his runs. 

Some of the biggest struggles of QBs that come in are from pick and stick spread type dudes who have arm talent but don’t progress and once their 1/2 read is taken away they freeze. That’s where guys who can use their legs can open opportunities because of their ability to extend. Josh Allen struggled off the jump with this and has developed into a boundary to boundary guy, who is still learning, because he bought extra time with his legs. 

Fields is better than Lawrence at getting through his reads on a down to down basis. Lawrence tends to get called plays to backs and receivers more often so he has 1-2 reads tops. But there are times where he is excellent progressing. And Lawrence does better than Fields as it pertains to not picking and sticking as often on concept plays. I hope that makes sense. Fields get through his progressions more often but also has more of a tendency to stare down a receiver (this IS an Ohio State quarterback quality). 

So I can see preferences for both. 

Matt Milano is a FA. Can he do both?

On 10/8/2020 at 11:15 AM, mistertim said:

I'm not that enamored of the QBs for 2021 after Lawrence.

One of the main reasons is also one of the reasons why I was against drafting Haskins...too little experience. Fields and Lance both obviously have talent (especially Lance from a pure talent perspective) but they both also only have one year of production. From my eye test, Fields looks a more pro-ready and Lance looks like as a passer he may take some time to adjust to the NFL game. But taking any QB who only has one year of production is a risk.

Trask is intriguing and I'll look to see how his season continues to shake out. That being said, while he's had some eye-popping numbers so far this season, when I watch him I don't really get a "holy ****, this guy is amazing" feeling. I feel like he's a pretty good QB in a good system with lots of talent around him. But that could just be my amateur eyes deceiving me. 

As far as getting Lawrence, we're not. We may end up with a top 5 pick but barring something crazy happening where a team has a franchise QB who has a season ending injury and they tank the rest of the season, Lawrence will be picked #1.

Even IF a team that didn't need a QB is picking #1 there would be a mad rush of multiple teams to try and trade up so he'll still go #1...probably to a team that gives up multiple 1st and 2nd round picks ala RG3 2012 trade. 

And I'd be 1000% behind doing such a trade if an opportunity presented itself.

As for Fields, it's not as if he's a come out of nowhere prospect. 

Rivals ranked him #2

247sports ranked him #2

ESPN ranked him #1

And that's overall in his class period, not just as a QB.

I get that some people still apply the Parcells rule to QB's, and fair enough, you can Trubisky yourself when you aren't respecting sample size, but it's also important to note what people thought of prospects coming out of high school too, because if they replicate that ability, as Fields has, then the ranking was more than likely right, at least up to the college level.

Justin Fields was basically in a deadheat with Lawrence for the #1 ranking in 2018, and Lawrence won with two rankings firms, and Fields won with the third.

Fields is going #1 or #2 overall depending upon whom drafts him. I suppose it's possible that Trey Lance jumps up boards after Josh Allen's year, but no matter what, nobody is going ahead of Fields that doesn't play QB. You can lock that in. 

8 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

And I'd be 1000% behind doing such a trade if an opportunity presented itself.

As for Fields, it's not as if he's a come out of nowhere prospect. 

Rivals ranked him #2

247sports ranked him #2

ESPN ranked him #1

And that's overall in his class period, not just as a QB.

I get that some people still apply the Parcells rule to QB's, and fair enough, you can Trubisky yourself when you aren't respecting sample size, but it's also important to note what people thought of prospects coming out of high school too, because if they replicate that ability, as Fields has, then the ranking was more than likely right, at least up to the college level.

Justin Fields was basically in a deadheat with Lawrence for the #1 ranking in 2018, and Lawrence won with two rankings firms, and Fields won with the third.

Fields is going #1 or #2 overall depending upon whom drafts him. I suppose it's possible that Trey Lance jumps up boards after Josh Allen's year, but no matter what, nobody is going ahead of Fields that doesn't play QB. You can lock that in. 

I think Lawrence will almost definitely go one.  I would put the odds of that at like 95%.   The second spot is tricky.  As good as Lawrence is, Penai Sewell is the best player for his position in the draft.  Further LT is a pretty premium positon.  If the team at 2 really needs a QB they may draft Fields over Sewell, but Sewell is almost at a Chase Young level. 

I am more skeptical of Justin Fields.  He looked good last year.  I follow the Big 10 closely and maybe that is what is making me skeptical.  The last 6 starting QB's at Ohio St were Terrell Pyror, Braxton Miller, Cardale Jones, JT Barrett, Dwayne Haskins, and Justin Fields.  Every single one of them played at All American level at some point in their career.   I think the system where the field is spread out vertically, where they have a good run game behind them, where they have plenty of time to throw and WR's who get separation consistently on DB's, makes me skeptical that they are as good as they seem.

It very well may be that Fields is the one is different and translates to the NFL, but I am used to have having QB's put up video game numbers to the point of complacency.

3 minutes ago, philibusters said:

It very well may be that Fields is the one is different and translates to the NFL, but I am used to have having QB's put up video game numbers to the point of complacency.

The best thing I think you can do is to go back and watch Barrett, Jones, Haskins and Fields. While they all operate in similar schemes, watch how different Fields is from the rest from a mechanics/passing point of view. It is significant, in my opinion. 

Also, for the record, I think Sewell is the overall best player in this draft. I don't even think it's close. But I can see teams going QB over him because... QB. 

On 10/7/2020 at 9:37 PM, Anselmheifer said:

I don’t like the secondary choices in this year’s QB crop that much. I don’t see any reason to trust Fields more than Haskins. I don’t trust Lance as a passer enough to take him too 10. If the team choosing at 1 doesn’t need a QB, I say we move up and take Lawrence, or stay put and take Parsons, Chase, Pitts, Sewell, Rondale Moore. A player with All pro potential. I honestly can’t take another 3 years of developing a QB and sucking. Give me Lawrence or give me a competent veteran QB and a great team around him. 

I have to admit, I just don't understand this philosophy. You aren't doing anything in this league without landing true help at QB. The handful of teams that get away with it tend to be one off's, and no teams build dynasties w/o elite QB play beyond the Ravens these days. I just think it's an insane way to try to skirt around things, and actually makes it harder to contend because you use stop gap solutions like we've done for most of the past thirty years to become a 6-10 to 8-8 team always land outside the blue chip zone. It sucks that we have drafted Heath Shuler and RGIII w/our two blue chip spots in QB drafts, but it is what it is, you have to keep trying until you hit. We got our poor man's Matt Ryan with Kirk Cousins, got kinda lucky there, but until we hit again, we will not matter, period. 

This is a draft with 3-4 of them when many drafts have only 1-2, and sometimes even 0. We absolutely have to go QB if we're in range and we absolutely should be willing to trade up.

It's also worth noting that Haskins wasn't nearly as well thought of during his final season, nor as a recruit as Fields. They aren't in the same universe as prospects. 

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The best thing I think you can do is to go back and watch Barrett, Jones, Haskins and Fields. While they all operate in similar schemes, watch how different Fields is from the rest from a mechanics/passing point of view. It is significant, in my opinion. 

Also, for the record, I think Sewell is the overall best player in this draft. I don't even think it's close. But I can see teams going QB over him because... QB. 

I did watch them. Not scouting them, but I am a Big 10 fans so I have seen them all play anywhere between 5 to 12 games from start to finish.  From a throwing perspective, I admit I have not scouted them, nor have the knowledge or know how to scout them.   But from an interested fan standpoint, the offense is the same, set up the pass with the run, spread teh field horizontally, give them quick throws so they don't face a lot of pressure or have tough reads.  Over the last 10 years I have probably watched 40-50 games of Ohio St from start to finish.  I know them pretty well as a program.

2 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

It's also worth noting that Haskins wasn't nearly as well thought of during his final season, nor as a recruit as Fields. They aren't in the same universe as prospects. 

Amen.

I have said I'd go Sewell if we're in the 2-3 range, but if we get some FA OL help prior to the draft, I am 100% on board with going QB. Maybe even trading up to get a chance at Fields, specifically.

And if we don't get some OL help I'm going to change hobbies to Parcheesi on a park bench with some senior citizens.

On 10/9/2020 at 3:58 PM, mistertim said:

I'm really curious as to whether Lawrence will be the only QB to go in the top 10.

Usually I'd say no way, but with the COVID situation the guys who could be the other top QB picks (Fields and Lance) are both going to be one year wonders with major questions marks about their games. I think Fields less so, because he's a more polished passer who has played well against top competition...but I also have to think that the Haskins situation could potentially affect how wary teams are about him...fair or not.

Outside of Lawrence, I think this is just going to be a super ****ty draft for QBs unfortunately. Not that there won't be some good ones to come out of it, but just that all of them except Lawrence will be major question marks. I'm not usually big on FA QBs and trades but in this instance if we have a top pick I'd much rather have a FA QB (or trade...maybe Stafford for 3rd?) + Sewell/Chase/Parsons than taking a gamble on Fields or Lance. Obviously if we somehow ended up with #1 overall it's Lawrence, but I'm assuming that's not gonna happen.

Lawrence goes #1 more than likely, Fields goes #2, and Lance has a chance to go #2 or inside top 5.

I think there's literally zero chance only one QB goes top 10. 

Just now, philibusters said:

I did watch them. Not scouting them, but I am a Big 10 fans so I have seen them all play anywhere between 5 to 12 games from start to finish.  From a throwing perspective, I admit I have not scouted them, nor have the knowledge or know how to scout them.   But from an interested fan standpoint, the offense is the same, set up the pass with the run, spread teh field horizontally, give them quick throws so they don't face a lot of pressure or have tough reads.  Over the last 10 years I have probably watched 40-50 games of Ohio St from start to finish.  I know them pretty well as a program.

No, no. I'm not questioning that you watched them live. I think you're a pretty smart football mind. I don't doubt you saw these dudes all play. 

I'm talking go back and watch THEM. Fields is light years different than the other guys. Watch how he scans the field, throws the deep ball and uses his legs to create time. Look at his throwing motion. Even as a layman (as you claim to be, this is not me assuming!) you'll see the significant difference in the fluidity of their footwork and throwing motions.

On 10/10/2020 at 9:18 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

I've bene watching my share of UF games this season.  Still trying to make my mind up about Trask, for sure I like the moxie he plays with. 

Pitts though is a bonafide gamer the best college TE I've watched in quite some time.  Tony IMO is a fun watch too, that dude is feisty and can separate.  Good WR. 

Takes 2-3 years for most TE's to become productive, pretty rare for them to be heavily impactful from day one. We had a chance to get Kittle, OJ Howard, Gerald Everett, Jonnu Smith, Hockenson, Fant, Goedert etc. We gotta take our medicine now, and just wait. Using a pick on Pitts would be insane w/the needs we have, doubly insane considering you can find great value at TE in quality TE drafts in rounds 2-4 typically and sometimes round 5. '17 and '18 were nice classes and '19 had a nice top heavy quality, '20 was known to be a god awful year from the start. '21 looks great, take one in round 2-4 or sign one of the studs from the '17 class in FA if they become available like Everett, the rams were idiots and overpaid Higbee, I imagine Everett could be available. 

Takes 2-3 years for most TE's to become productive, pretty rare for them to be heavily impactful from day one. We had a chance to get Kittle, OJ Howard, Gerald Everett, Jonnu Smith, Hockenson, Fant, Goedert etc. We gotta take our medicine now, and just wait. Using a pick on Pitts would be insane w/the needs we have, doubly insane considering you can find great value at TE in quality TE drafts in rounds 2-4 typically and sometimes round 5. '17 and '18 were nice classes and '19 had a nice top heavy quality, '20 was known to be a god awful year from the start. '21 looks great, take one in round 2-4 or sign one of the studs from the '17 class in FA if they become available like Everett, the rams were idiots and overpaid Higbee, I imagine Everett could be available. 

I didn't say I'd take him with the likely high pick we got.  I am just making a comment on the player.   

I put Pitts in the same pool of players I put Isaiah Simmons last year. If you utilize him correctly, he's a player you'd absolutely love to have. But he's not a player that you take in order to pass on a more impactful player and a more impactful position. 

I agree with that.  I think Pitts very well could develop into a pro-bowler in a couple years, but he is not worth a top 5 pick given that you can get pretty good valuable at TE in the second, third, and fourth rounds.

To a lesser extent I feel the same about Parsons.   That said I could reconcile myself with picking Parsons because I do think he is probably the consensus top Linebacker in the draft.  But I just feel its easier to find valuable at LB in the second, third, and fourth rounds and free agency AND I feel like our defense is middle of the pack while our offense is probably the worst in the NFL.  It seems foolish to spend a top 5 pick two years in a row on defense if Sewell or Chase is available.  Sewell will very likely go before Parsons so that is probably a non-issue, but Ja'Marr Chase may still be on the board at 5 or 6.

I agree with that.  I think Pitts very well could develop into a pro-bowler in a couple years, but he is not worth a top 5 pick given that you can get pretty good valuable at TE in the second, third, and fourth rounds.

Agree but no one here has pushed him as a top 5 pick unless I am missing a post.   He'd have to be the TE to end all TEs to go that high. 

Complete these sentences:

Trevor Lawrence is the best NFL QB draft prospect since...

Penai Sewell is the best NFL LT draft prospect since...

Micah Parsons is the best NFL 4-3 LB draft prospect since...

Ja'Marr Chase is the best NFL WR draft prospect since...

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree but no one here has pushed him as a top 5 pick unless I am missing a post.   He'd have to be the TE to end all TEs to go that high. 

Nobody said he was top 5, but people are saying he is a game changer.  TJ Hockenson in 2019 and Eric Ebron  in 2014 where the last two to go top 10.  Before that you have to go back to 2006 when former Terp and Redskin Vernon Davis went number 6 overall after running a 4.38 forty at the NFL combine.

Upcoming games with interesting prospects:

Friday night: BYU at 9:30 on ESPN, Zack Wilson is worth taking a look at.

Saturday:

Clemson at Noon (even if it's just to watch Travis Etienne) on ABC

Miami is at Noon as well, I've seen Brevin Jordan as a high second round pick on the ACC Network

Boston College has a monster TE worth watching, Hunter Long (Junior, so might return) at 7:30 on the ACC Network

BC plays VT who also has Christian Darrisaw who I've seen a few jaw dropping clips of

NC is at 730 on ABC. I've seen Sam Howell floated as a top QB in 22, should we miss out this year

Feel free to add others to watch.

Complete these sentences:

Trevor Lawrence is the best NFL QB draft prospect since...

Penai Sewell is the best NFL LT draft prospect since...

Micah Parsons is the best NFL 4-3 LB draft prospect since...

Ja'Marr Chase is the best NFL WR draft prospect since...

I like this...

Trevor Lawrence is the best NFL QB draft prospect since... Justin Fields

Penai Sewell is the best NFL LT draft prospect since... Jonathan Ogden/Anthony Munoz

Micah Parsons is the best NFL 4-3 LB draft prospect since... Darius Leonard or Dre Greenlaw

Ja'Marr Chase is the best NFL WR draft prospect since... DK Metcalf

The guys with shorter time frames aren't as "generational" as the others listed. And because I'm sure you'll ask...

Justin Fields is the best NFL QB draft prospect since... Justin Herbert.

(I'm using their pro careers to base these answers, by the way. Sometimes these dudes are so overrated as prospects that it's scary. And we all do it :ols:)

Archived