Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Why are people so high on Mac Jones? He seems like another QB with little to no mobility and no gamechanger abilities. I wouldn't be upset with him but has he taken over any games and done anything? Wilson/Fields/Lance are all guys who I am somewhat liking and could see getting behind in their development (but the more this team wins, the less likely I think it is that we make a major change at the QB position like drafting a first round QB or one who is expected to start soon). Jones is in that next Tier with Trask. 

There are some lower round QBs that I would rather take a chance on than a guy like Jones because I just don't see anything from him right now. 

2 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

He's not going top 3 (I think QB is set in stone for 1-2), and Cincy takes Sewell at 3.  We have to hope Carolina or Miami takes him.  I don't see Atlanta taking him (they need to rebuild their team and not go for skill guys).  I can see Miami taking him honestly if he's there.  They already have Parker, Preston Williams, and Bowden.  Geseki wasn't drafted by them.  

I don't know. Their TE corps looks pretty solid with Gesicki, Shaheen and Smythe. They need O-line help more than anything else I guess. Since they got the luxury to definitely go BPA with all the extra draft capital they have they might take Pitts there but I also could see them going O-line or linebacker (Parsons).

Pretty impressed with Liam Eichenberg from Notre Dame in the ACC Championship game.  He got schooled pretty good by Bresee on a ridiculous spin move, but other than that he showed a lot of toughness and skill.  He's a brawler with very heavy and skillful hands and a good anchor.  And he's heads up.  The Clemson rushers are very high energy and tenacious guys and Book was holding that ball quite a long time.  Some of those reps were really good battles.  My first take on him is that I like him quite a bit as a prospect, I look forward to watching more of him.

3 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Why are people so high on Mac Jones? He seems like another QB with little to no mobility and no gamechanger abilities. I wouldn't be upset with him but has he taken over any games and done anything? Wilson/Fields/Lance are all guys who I am somewhat liking and could see getting behind in their development (but the more this team wins, the less likely I think it is that we make a major change at the QB position like drafting a first round QB or one who is expected to start soon). Jones is in that next Tier with Trask. 

There are some lower round QBs that I would rather take a chance on than a guy like Jones because I just don't see anything from him right now. 

I think you are being harsh on Mac.  I’m not normally fond of QBs from Bama but he definitely has the ability to take over a game. He really doesn’t need to though.  He shows good pocket awareness and takes what the defense gives him.  He doesn’t force the issue. He can throw a good deep ball too.  Give him a team that doesn’t need him to carry them he will succeed. If you force him to be Joe Burrow and throw a billion times yes that’s not what he does.  I think he definitely could win some games on his own though if needed. He’s definitely a pocket passer type though so you have to have a good line.   He’s a game manager more than a major star. But hey that worked for Russell Wilson especially early on. 

I've been touting Elijah Moore of late.  He, Rondale and Toney could be special slot WRs IMO.

QUARTERBACK

First-Team: Mac Jones, Alabama

Jones enters the College Football Playoff as not just the highest-graded quarterback in college football this season but the highest-graded quarterback of the PFF College era.

The Bama signal-caller has posted a 95.3 PFF grade this season, which is just ahead of the three best single-season marks we have ever seen: Joe Burrow‘s 94.9 in 2019, Kyler Murray‘s 94.6 in 2018 and Baker Mayfield‘s 94.6 in 2017.

All three of those quarterbacks won the Heisman Trophy in those record-setting years.

Second-Team: Zach Wilson, BYU
Third-Team: Kyle Trask, Florida
Honorable Mention: Spencer Rattler, Oklahoma

RUNNING BACKS

First-Team: Javonte Williams, North Carolina

Williams has put up video game-like numbers for the Tar Heels this season. Before 2020, the highest single-season rushing grade ever recorded in the PFF College era was Ronald Jones' 93.8 for USC back in 2017. This year, Williams has shattered that mark with a 95.9 rushing grade, and he has also broken more tackles per attempt than any FBS running back since 2014 (0.48).

Second-Team: Chris Rodriguez Jr., Kentucky
Third-Team: Khalil Herbert, Virginia Tech
Honorable Mention: Jaret Patterson, Buffalo

First-Team: Michael Carter, North Carolina

North Carolina legitimately had one of the best backfields in the history of college football this season with Williams and Michael Carter.

The two rank first and second in the FBS in the percentage of runs that resulted in a 10-plus-yard gain — at 26.8% and 26.1%, respectively — with both figures nearly doubling the FBS average.

While Williams had the best season we have seen from a pure rushing standpoint, Carter had one of the best years for a dual-threat back. Carter is the only running back in the FBS who ranks in the top five in both rushing and receiving grade this year.

Second-Team: Najee Harris, Alabama
Third-Team: Jerion Ealy, Ole Miss
Honorable Mention: Deuce Vaughn, Kansas State

WIDE RECEIVERS

First-Team: DeVonta Smith, Alabama

Even in a year where we have seen a quarterback — Mac Jones — post the highest single-season PFF grade we have ever recorded, wide receiver DeVonta Smith still has a shot at winning the Heisman Trophy. He’s been that good this year.

Smith has earned a 94.3 receiving grade this season, topping the previous best season at the Power 5 level by more than a full grading point (Amari Cooper's 92.9 in 2014).

The Alabama receiver's 35 explosive receptions of 15-plus yards are seven more than anyone else in college football. There truly is not a defensive back in college football who can effectively shut him down over the course of an entire game. That, right there, is dominance in its purest form.

Second-Team: Jaquarii Roberson, Wake Forest
Third-Team: Tylan Wallace, Oklahoma State
Honorable Mention: Treylon Burks, Arkansas

First-Team: Elijah Moore, Ole Miss

Moore was Matt Corral’s go-to weapon this year, and understandably so. Outside of DeVonta Smith, he was the most reliable receiver in the country.

The 5-foot-9 slot receiver caught 97.7% of his catchable targets this season, the second-highest rate in the nation, and he also recorded the fourth-highest contested-catch rate in the FBS.

Moore has a penchant for finding holes in zone coverages, but he also showed that he could win by separating against single coverage. The Ole Miss wideout ultimately earned the third-best receiving grade we have seen by an SEC wide receiver, behind only Smith and Amari Cooper.

Second-Team: Dax Milne, BYU
Third-Team: Marvin Mims, Oklahoma
Honorable Mention: Khalil Shakir, Boise State

First-Team: Jaelon Darden, North Texas

Darden was a big-time explosive and shifty slot weapon for the Mean Green in 2020. He ranked in the top five in the entire FBS in slot receiving grade (87.6), broken tackles after the catch (19), explosive plays of 15-plus yards (18) and yards per route run (3.91).

He didn’t see a huge amount of single coverage, as he predominantly resided in the slot, but we saw a lot of open targets and explosive plays when he did. Over 34% of his targets against single coverage resulted in a 15-plus-yard gain, the ninth-best rate in the entire FBS.

Second-Team: Kadarius Toney, Florida
Third-Team: Marlon Williams, UCF
Honorable Mention: Jonathan Adams Jr., Ark State

TIGHT END

First-Team: Kyle Pitts, Florida

DeVonta Smith hasn’t been the only record-setting receiver in college football this season, as Florida tight end Kyle Pitts has also earned the highest PFF grade ever given to a player at his position.

Pitts has earned a 96.0 receiving grade on the year while racking up a position-best 3.26 yards per route run. Pitts’ ability to go toe-to-toe against press-man out wide is truly special. He has picked up seven explosive receptions of 15-plus yards against press coverage when lined up out wide — the rest of the FBS tight ends have just six combined.

Second-Team: Isaiah Likely, Coastal Carolina
Third-Team: Josh Whyle, Cincinnati
Honorable Mention: Trey McBride, Colorado State

Oct 2, 2020; Provo, UT, USA; BYU’ quarterback Zach Wilson, right, celebrates with teammate Brady Christensen (67) after scoring against Louisiana Tech in the second half during an NCAA college football game Friday, Oct. 2, 2020, in Provo, Utah. Credit: Rick Bowmer/Pool Photo-USA TODAY Sports

LEFT TACKLE

First-Team: Brady Christensen, BYU

Just as we have with Jones, Williams, Smith and Pitts, we have another PFF record to keep an eye on as we approach bowl season with BYU tackle Brady Christensen.

Last year, Oregon tackle Penei Sewell produced the highest single-season PFF grade by a tackle, at 95.8, and Christensen has topped that in 2020.

After earning grades above 95.0 as both a pass-blocker and run-blocker, Christensen has posted a 96.4 overall grade for the year. He has allowed just three pressures across 372 pass-blocking snaps in 11 games. Say what you will about the schedule, that’s still incredibly impressive.

Second-Team: Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech
Third-Team: Samuel Cosmi, Texas
Honorable Mention: Liam Eichenberg, Notre Dame

Breer's article/Mock

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/21/mmqb-week-15-jets-win-josh-allen-dominates-dolphins-eliminate-patriots

5) Cincinnati QB Desmond Ridder has played his way into having a very real decision to make on whether he should go pro or not. His Bearcats finished the regular season 9–0, and Ridder threw for 269 yards in a driving rainstorm to help beat Tulsa for the AAC title. Ridder’s got the measureables, but needs some polish.

1) Jaguars: Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence. I’d wager my mortgage that Lawrence will go first. Whether that’s to the Jets or Jags, the only two teams still alive for that pick, I don’t think it takes Ron Wolf to see how the first pick will go.

2) Jets: Ohio State QB Justin Fields. The Buckeye junior has been uneven over the last month, which might open the door for another QB to give him a fight to be the second quarterback taken (I know some people like BYU’s Zach Wilson more). But Fields will have a shot in the playoffs to silence any doubts. Physically, Fields has everything. The one thing you do hear is he just needs more game reps. This sets up, again, as an interesting call in New York.

3) Bengals: Oregon OT Penei Sewell. Job No. 1 for the Bengals this spring: Find a way to protect Joe Burrow better. Getting Sewell—a tackle some consider one of the best to come out in a decade—would be a good way to do it. Then, they can flip Jonah Williams to the right side, and they’ll have their bookends for a long time to come.

4) Panthers: BYU QB Zach Wilson. Wilson’s polarizing—some wonder about his raw arm strength, some about his size. The best comp I’ve gotten on him is that he’s a taller, leaner version of Baker Mayfield, and his arm strength may be a little better than the Browns QB’s. Which puts Wilson in the top-10 conversation, even if some teams don’t necessarily see him that way.

5) Falcons: North Dakota State QB Trey Lance. Lance’s name has cooled off, and part of that is probably because he only played one game this fall, thanks to FCS schools punting their season to the spring, and that one game might’ve been his worst as a collegian. No doubt, there’s some projection here. But there’s also a lot of physical ability and really good 2019 tape.

6) Dolphins (via Texans): Penn State LB Micah Parsons. Brian Flores loves versatile linebackers, and that’s 100% what Parsons is—a position-less player who can do anything you ask athletically. There will be some character questions that bubble up with teams. Pending where those go, I think the Nittany Lion opt-out belongs in the running to go in the top five. This puts him right outside of it.

7) Eagles: LSU WR Ja'Marr Chase. Chase was a better player for LSU’s 2019 title team than Justin Jefferson was, and you’ve seen what Jefferson has already become as a pro. I don’t think Chase is a lock to be the first receiver taken—he’s not a burner, so he won’t be for everyone (this high, at least). But Philly got its big-play guy last year, in Jalen Raegor, and Chase would be a perfect complement to him.

Cowboys: Alabama CB Patrick Surtain II. NFL fans of my age will recognize the name. That’s his son, FYI, and he’s a heck of a player by his own right. The big question that’ll follow him is whether or not he has truly elite high-end speed, which will make whether he runs in Indy a pertinent question. But Surtain has everything else, and Dallas will likely have a corner need.

9) Chargers: Florida TE Kyle Pitts. The Chargers have themselves a quarterback and now it’s incumbent on them to do all they can to maximize his time on a rookie contract. Pairing Pitts with Hunter Henry at tight end, and lining those guys up with wideouts Keenan Allen and Mike Williams? Seems like it’d be a problem for just about everyone else.

10)Giants: Miami DE Gregory Rousseau. Let me first say I got a lot of pushback on Rousseau here, with plenty of scouts feeling like there are too many lingering questions after just one year of collegiate production. But he’s an edge rusher, and one with a sky-high ceiling, and those generally don’t last too long. And I’d bet Joe Judge, Patrick Graham & Co. would see an athlete they could develop in Rousseau.

So there’s your starting point. And again, this is just an early list. With that in mind, I do think Alabama’s Jaylen Waddle (if the medicals check out) and DeVonta Smith have a shot to pass Chase in the pecking order; Bama’s Mac Jones could pass Lance; Virginia Tech CB Caleb Farley, if his medicals check out, could sneak into the top 10; Georgia’s Azeez Ojulari has a chance to leapfrog Rousseau among edge rushers; and tackles like Northwestern’s Rashawn Slater (who some project at guard) and Virginia Tech’s Christian Darrisaw could end up in the top-10 mix down the line.

Which is to say the fun’s just starting in this department.

LINEBACKER

First-Team: Zaven Collins, Tulsa

Collins is not just the top off-ball linebacker in the AAC this year; he has also been the best linebacker in the entire FBS. Collins leads the country in PFF grade at his position, and his standout coverage ability is a big reason why. As a matter of fact, Collins shattered the PFF College record for best single-season coverage grade by an off-ball linebacker this season, at 93.7, which was initially set by Eric Kendricks (92.1) back in 2014.

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-2020-pffs-all-american-team

49 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

This is an evergreen topic but currently, 16 of the current NFL quarterbacks were drafted in the top half of the first round.  50/50 shot at finding a starter with one of our picks.

Unfortunately that ain't how stats work. You'd have to look at what % of first-round QB picks end up becoming quality starters, and I bet that % is lower.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

LINEBACKER

First-Team: Zaven Collins, Tulsa

Collins is not just the top off-ball linebacker in the AAC this year; he has also been the best linebacker in the entire FBS. Collins leads the country in PFF grade at his position, and his standout coverage ability is a big reason why. As a matter of fact, Collins shattered the PFF College record for best single-season coverage grade by an off-ball linebacker this season, at 93.7, which was initially set by Eric Kendricks (92.1) back in 2014.

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-2020-pffs-all-american-team

If we somehow ended up drafting Zaven, my(and his) entire hometown would become WFT teams. That would be interesting for me.

15 minutes ago, ShredSkins said:

If we somehow ended up drafting Zaven, my(and his) entire hometown would become WFT teams. That would be interesting for me.

I've posted for weeks now about Zaven on and off but haven't studied him closely yet.  But love his profile and his highlights are super fun.  Seems like a perfect addition to what they are building on the defense, supposedly high character-smart.

His size and speed look freakish.   Perfect strong-side OLB.   I started watching him some tonight and i am not so sure he can't play some MLB if needed but I'll reserve my opinion on that until I watch more.  He's very intriguing to me.  Maybe even more intriguing to me than Koramoah in part because he likely adds more to the pass rush and you can keep him on the field for every down. 

Del Rio likes his Double A gap blitzes and this dude I think would scare the heck out of defenses if he's bunched up behind Allen or Payne with the edge rushers we got. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've posted for weeks now about Zaven on and off but haven't studied him closely yet.  But love his profile and his highlights are super fun.  Seems like a perfect addition to what they are building on the defense, supposedly high character-smart.

His size and speed look freakish.   Perfect strong-side OLB.   I started watching him some tonight and i am not so sure he can't play some MLB if needed but I'll reserve my opinion on that until I watch more.  He's very intriguing to me.  Maybe even more intriguing to me than Koramoah in part because he likely adds more to the pass rush and you can keep him on the field for every down. 

Del Rio likes his Double A gap blitzes and this dude I think would scare the heck out of defenses if he's bunched up behind Allen or Payne with the edge rushers we got. 

he can play QB too! Just saying. On this team, you never know. 

19 minutes ago, ShredSkins said:

he can play QB too! Just saying. On this team, you never know. 

I know, safety too. He just played for 3 years at OLB.   Just watched the Tulane game.  Wow.

15 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

On the same page Sip gives unrealistic hope of drafting Pitts and then introduces a completely new man crush. You ae a monster sir.

Yep Collins IMO is super intriguing I am about to do a quick write up.   If we want to double down on defense what an addition this guy might be. 

Zaven Collins in short he looks to have freakish athleticsm -- loose hips and agility.    Good moving forward and moving back.   He needs polish but seems to have physical ingredients you can't teach.   If he burns up the combine he might not fall to our pick because to me what grabs me the most is for a dude that big, he moves like a 220 pounder as opposed to the 260 pounder he is.   

He tackles well in space and can rush the passer some.  I think he can play all three LB spots albeit he played weakside and some strongside at Tulsa.  His size I think lends to more strongside LB in the pros but I wonder with his athletic skills and smarts whether he can move to MLB eventually because he has more agility-athleticisim than the standard strongside LB.    Some used to hupe up converting Ryan Anderson to MLB but I could never see that becayuse Ryan is a tough player but he has short arms and is no athletic freak or has proven to be about tackling in space.  Collins on the other hand to me looks to have all the traits to convert to that spot if there is a need or at a minimum you can keep him in nickle/2 lbs sets.   

I am extrapolating some here because I could only find 2 games and watched every highlight film I could find, and watched some interviews. 

Pros

Sound tackler albeit not perfect--tackles low.  Good against the run.  He has some fun highlight tackles.  But he's more sound than flashy. 

Good sideline to sideline speed (fast but not crazy fast but for a dude his size its plenty fast -- I am sure he's not a dude that RBs enjoy seeing come their way

Finds the action, has a nose for where the offense is headed and isn't fooled easily

Ball of energy.  If we want to add even more to the defense's attitude where they play like their hair is on fire aka the Dallas game, this dude would add to it. 

Anticipates well in coverage and very fluid when he backpeddles.  Even though he plays strongside-weakside LB, I can see him playing a really good Tampa 2 up the middle.  Good zone defender

Readjusts really quickly when he's initially fooled by the direction of the action

He was once a gymnist and you can see for a big dude he has loose hips-great balance, agility, can change directions on a dime -- I bet he does well in the 3 cone, and vertical

Intangibles seem through the roof -- would add leadership to the locker room.  Another Chase type on that front. 

Can rush the passer but a bit raw on that front -- if he's coached up on this front, watch out. 

Cons

Can overpursue and wash himself out of the action

Doesn't seem to have much as to pass rushing moves -- relies mostly on motor.  He needs some help here.  But his motor is so good and he's such a freak that watch out when he improves

Some call him a swiss army knife and in some ways he is but he's not Isaiah Simmons, he's not covering WRs in the slot, etc

He hasn't played against stiff competition compared to some of the other LBs in the draft

Intangibles:

https://tulsaworld.com/sports/college/tu/stay-your-path-how-tus-zaven-collins-developed-from-an-under-the-radar-recruit-into/article_04c0f0ac-2ec3-11eb-8a17-b730428bced0.html

We knew that he was a huge get,” said Gillespie, who is now defensive coordinator. “He just had some intangibles. He has things that you can’t coach — the size and the gifts that he’s been blessed with.”

“Unbelievable kid, unbelievable teammate, great leader,” Montgomery said. “(He) makes plays at big times. I’m just going to go ahead and say it: Why is that guy not in the running for the Heisman?

“Tell me someone that has affected more games than that guy. If we want to talk about the best players in college football, in my opinion, he’s there. He’s a part of it.”

Collins is always quick to mention his teammates’ roles in his big plays — like fellow linebacker Justin Wright pressuring the Tulane quarterback to cause the interception — and he is unfazed by publicity.

“Whenever you talk about the Heisman, the first person you think of is not a WILL linebacker from Tulsa, Oklahoma,” he said. “You think of a quarterback at a Power 5 school. That is probably the road that will be more traveled.

'He will get his degree'

Before he ever played in a game at TU, program insiders were whispering: “He’s going to play in the NFL.” Those familiar with his work ethic and skillset knew Collins was a special player, long before he starting showing up in mock drafts.

Mocks are really all over the place.  Matt Miller is no genuis but he's been doing this for a long time.  His is a wild ride.  He's got my guy, Elijah Moore in the first at #16.   The QBs fall.  We end up with Trask and Dallas with Pitts.  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2923469-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-latest-2021-nfl-mock-draft-and-more

41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Mocks are really all over the place.  Matt Miller is no genuis but he's been doing this for a long time.  His is a wild ride.  He's got my guy, Elijah Moore in the first at #16.   The QBs fall.  We end up with Trask and Dallas with Pitts.  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2923469-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-latest-2021-nfl-mock-draft-and-more

Ugh and ugh. Najee harris drops to 28 there. Darrisaw mid 20's. I'd so much rather move back and grab one of those guys than wind up with Trask. 

57 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Ugh and ugh. Najee harris drops to 28 there. Darrisaw mid 20's. I'd so much rather move back and grab one of those guys than wind up with Trask. 

Trask is the ultimate, "Wait, we took him?" draft pick there.

I wouldn't touch Trask before the third round.

Archived