Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

40 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Ugh and ugh. Najee harris drops to 28 there. Darrisaw mid 20's. I'd so much rather move back and grab one of those guys than wind up with Trask. 

Me too.  Especially if enticing vet QB options are coming onto the market.  Moving down and getting Darrisaw would be a coup.

One thing that piques my interest is the talk of Shaun Wade dropping.  Miller says his tape is day 3 quality, that would be major value territory.  It kind of feels there will be a tier of good corner prospects available in the fourth round this year.  I've been looking at corners in the late first and in the second round when I've done mocks, but we might be able to wait until the fourth and still get good developmental talent there.  Find some guys in free agency, lean on our DL to generate pressure, and still field a high end pass defense next season.  Wade would really match the physical tone we are trying to establish with the defense too.  Good tackling out there between him and Moreland.

The other thing I keep going back to with our day 2 and early day 3 picks is DL.  This is a pretty good edge class and the IDL class is almost as good.  I think there is going to be real quality available in round three.  This would be a great draft if we get a vet QB:

rd 1 - Zaven Collins

rd 2 - Eichenberg or Tray Smith or some OL of that tier

rd 3 - Patrick Jones or Rashad Weaver or Carlos Basham tier edge rusher

rd 3 - Chuba Hubbard or Kenneth Gainwell tier running back

rd 4 - Shaun Wade

rd 5 - Tutu Atwell or Marlon Williams or Amari Rodgers tier receiver

rd 7 - Noah Gray

Quarterback Rankings - Pre Bowl Games:

QB   College Ht/Wt Note
1 Trevor Lawrence* Clemson 6-6, 220  
2 Justin Fields* Ohio State 6-3, 223  
3 Trey Lance North Dakota 6-4. 226  
4 Zach Wilson BYU 6-3, 210  
5 Shane Buechele SMU 6-1, 207  
6 Jamie Newman Georgia 6-4, 230  
7 Mac Jones Alabama 6-2, 205  
8 Holton Ahlers* East Carolina 6-3, 235  
9 Kellen Mond* Texas A&M 6-4, 225  
10 Kyle Trask Florida 6-5, 239  
11 Ian Book Notre Dame 6-0, 203  
12 Sam Ehlinger Texas 6-3, 230  
13 D'Eriq King Miami 5-11 202  
14 Desmond Ridder Cincy 6-4 215  
15 Tanner Morgan* Minnesota 6-2, 215  
16 Brock Purdy Iowa State 6-1, 210  
17 KJ Costello Miss. St 6-5, 215  
18 Feleipe Franks Arkansas 6-5, 227  
19 Zac Thomas App State 6-1, 210  
20 Sean Clifford Penn State 6-2, 216  

Break Downs:

Jamie Newman Georgia 6-4, 230

Extremely aggressive as a passer. Puts the ball in tight places, which sometimes means throwing it into too tight of a space. Patient with his run reads in option, which is a vital characteristic for the next level. Really live arm. Progresses fairly well, but seems to be a half field read kind of player. He has every NFL trait you could possibly want in a quarterback. Grading him strictly on his ability now and not possible issues on "why" he opted out he is a top end prospect.

Kellen Mond* Texas A&M 6-4, 225

Isn't a particularly great creator with the ball, but takes what is given to him. Good pocket awareness to feel pressure and get the ball out. Changes speeds with his "pitches" really well. Athletic and can run, but another guy that makes a living off of zone reads and options in college and how that translates remains a very real question. Can effortlessly flick the ball down field with a good arm. Not great. Does a good job looking off defenses down the middle before snapping to his target. I don't really see any real urgency, plays at one speed/compsure level at all times. Consistency is an issue for him.

KJ Costello Miss. St 6-5, 215

Odd criticism, but I don't like how his feet move. He does a shuffle drop technique and he has a lot of extra foot movement that in my opinion isn't necessary. He also drops the ball to his waist when he moves around the pocket. That's scary to see your QB do on a regular basis. He has an okay arm and he recognizes coverage concepts underneath fairly well. Can change arm angles and throw with accuracy, which is a plus. But his lower body throwing mechanics bother me quite a bit.

Sam Ehlinger Texas 6-3, 230

Scans the field. Has ice in his veins. Isn't afraid of anything. Runs well. Takes too many hits. Doesn't have a live arm. Keeps plays alive with his feet. Holds the ball too long. Not decisive.

Tanner Morgan* Minnesota 6-2, 215

Lots of zip on his passes and accurate from a relative standpoint. His ball placement needs some work at times but he gets the ball in the catch radius more often than not. His knock is he can be reckless with the football at times. College completion % is around 60 due to some of those placement issues and recklessness. Good size and navigates the pocket well. Can do some scrambling, but that's not his game.

Holton Ahlers* East Carolina 6-3, 235

Lefty. Great size. Fantastic playaction fake. Very decisive. Good runner. Real strong arm. Good deep ball accuracy. Throws some wild ducks sometimes.

Feleipe Franks Arkansas 6-5, 227

Excellent pocket presence. Calm and collected and not frantic. Not a great decision maker. Arm is okay. Good accuracy deep ball. Does some strange things mechanically with his arm, likely due to some struggles with reads. Not the most mobile guy. Scans the whole field. Ball placement in the middle of the field is iffy.

Kyle Trask Florida 6-5, 239

First thing that stands out is his arm strength. It's just not there. He has a decent arm and that could translate to some NFL success, but it's really lacking. He also isn't very athletic. That's a difficult combination to overcome... Especially considering his pocket awareness isn't fantastic. Having said that... He is not afraid of any scenario and while he isn't the most aware he has a good pocket presence. He knows how to get the ball to his playmakers and he has a very accurate pass. He has tremendous ability to develop as there is a lot of room for growth with him, in particular using his lower body more in his throwing motion to put more zip on throws.

Sean Clifford Penn State 6-2, 216

Not a lot to say. Seems like he struggles with a lot of passing concepts and just doesn't look comfortable at any point. Not sure he has much of a draft prospectus.

Brock Purdy Iowa State 6-1, 210

Really reckless throwing the ball down field into coverage, and his accuracy seems to struggle in the middle of the field. Plays with his eyes down field even facing pressure and can create throwing lanes with his arm angles. Understands pressure concepts better than coverage concepts but still bails too early at times. He has a very quick snap throw and oddly plays with a straight leg type of set up versus the more typical set up. Outside throws are a bit of a concern. The way he carries the ball makes him prone to turnovers.

Desmond  Ridder* Cincinatti 6-4 215

Throws an excellent fade ball to the sideline, especially to the end zone. If the ball is thrown 20-30 yards he is very accurate. Beyond that his arm strength is a hindrance. He works to the field more than the boundary and only reads one half of the field. He has a tendency to laser lock onto his targets. Smart, elusive runner, makes a living off of zone read and zone read RPO pass concepts.

Ian Book Notre Dame 6-0, 203

Good zip on the ball, good mechanics, good pocket presence. Does well when they move the pocket laterally. Seems to break down in the red zone a little bit and gets a lot more panicked than he does in other parts of the field. Throws some real bad worm burners in the middle of the field, likely afraid of making a costly turnover. He moves well. Finds open receivers on a routine basis. Reads the field pretty well.

D'Eriq King Miami 5-11 202

Smaller, but powerful and athletic. Natural leader, good progressions. Not a bad arm. Has some deep accuracy issues. Excellent leadership qualities. Good underneath accuracy on slants, crossers and swings. His OL gives him some time back there but he can create some space with his mobility as well. Not really a runner, but CAN run and run well.

Zach Wilson BYU 6-3, 210

Uses his eyes very well. Looks to have vastlly improved his strength in the past offseason as he no longer requires the full body contortion throws to put zip on the ball and he seems to have cleaned his mechanics up but they still need some work. I love how active his feet are when he is scanning the field but sometimes they're so live that he doesn't get them set prior to throwing the ball and it leads to some really off throws and bad decisions. He is extremely mobile and a real, true dual threat quarterback. He changes arm angles on his throws real well. I don't think he's all that accurate of a passer, but he's another guy that is as tough as nails. Will need development time as a passer.

Mac Jones Alabama 6-2, 205

Accurate passer in the middle of the field that has good footwork and scans the field well. Doesn't have a fantastic arm and one hops throws to the field outside the hash entirely too often and misses open targets down the field too often. He does well on crossing patterns, slants, digs and operates really comfortably from play action. He scans the field well and is situationally aware and knows how to throw the ball away to avoid a sack. He uses his playmakers well and throws the ball to them in space as often as he can. He has a winning attitude and has proven he is tough as nails, but he is extremely well protected and isn't a great dual threat kind of athlete.

Shane Buechele SMU 6-1, 207

Quick release and natural throwing motion. Scans the field, escapes pressure, throws off schedule and can change throwing angles. Is not a typical dual threat quarterback but he can move a little bit. More of a pocket passer. Smooth throwing motion, ball pops out of his hand. Arm strength looks good on near throws but the stuff outside the numbers from the far hash has him contort his body and he loses a little umph. Father and brother were professional baseball players.

Zac Thomas App State 6-1, 210

Athlete for sure. Has an odd throw to the near sideline where it looks like he's throwing on a downward angle at times. Ball has a tendency to wobble at times and doesn't have the most live arm. But he is an accurate passer that can take something off of it when necessary and is a dynamic ball carrier. High upside, very low floor. Likely a UDFA.

Trevor Lawrence* Clemson 6-6, 220

Prototypical quarterback with a great balance of size, strength, accuracy, arm strength, mobility, confidence and charisma. He is the overall top package in the draft. He isn't as good as others in some categories (Arm strength and mobility are not on Fields' level, in my opinion), but he makes up for it with his overall spectrum of play. Very smart player. Relies a lot on the zone read, so that will be interesting to see how it translates to the NFL as he won't be doing that as much. Great mechanics, great weight transfer, can make every throw already. He is another guy that hangs on his first read for awhile, but he does a really good job of staying in the pocket and keeping his mechanics sound as he progresses through his reads. The one throw that I don't "love" from him is the deep ball down the sideline as far as placement goes. He also short arms it entirely too often for my liking. But he is the most well rounded quarterback prospect I've seen in a draft in years. He is absolutely a franchise changing NFL quarterback prospect.

Justin Fields* Ohio State 6-3, 223

Man coverage killer. You go man on him and he will carve you up with his legs. He is the most dynamic runner of the group and may also have the absolute strongest arm and among the best mechanics. He has struggled some with pressure, and given how good his offensive line is he rarely faces it. Against Clemson last season in the playoffs he played like a guy with ice in his veins and helped give Ohio State a chance against a juggernaut. This year he has struggled against Indiana and Northwestern. When pressured his accuracy drops a bit, but he finds ways to keep plays alive still. The fact that he can overcome poor performances and turn them into positive games is a testament to his character and work ethic. I'd like to see him progress through his reads better (he sees them but often after his first read is covered that's when you see the regression in his accuracy). Teams will need to lean into his athleticism so he can learn to read NFL speeds and defenses and make them pay for whatever they do for him. Fields, to me, projects as a bonafide NFL franchise quarterback who can change the fortunes of a franchise.

Trey Lance North Dakota 6-4. 226

Can function as a pseudo running back running power plays and buying himself time with his legs. Is a half field/one read kind of player who has to develop into the NFL. Has a strong arm and is an overall accurate deep ball passer. Overall has a tight and quick throwing motion but from time to time has an odd windmill motion that I couldn't explain if you asked me to. Can throw any route with precision and accuracy anywhere on the field. He telegraphs his throws a bit too often but his running ability may let him get away with that more than a more pocket type passer due to the threat of him running when the pocket breaks down. Low floor high ceiling. Sometimes he gets really excited and throws the ball in really odd placements. Reminds me a lot of the developmental cycle that was needed for Wyoming/Buffalo QB Josh Allen. He can develop on the job because of his legs.

That's a lot of work as to the QBs.  I've been lazy.  I got to get going. 😀

Without rewriting some of my previous thoughts.  Among the QBs I've watched my ratings would be:

1.  Trevor Lawrence

2.  Justin Fields

3.  Zach Wilson -- big drop off after him

4.  Trey Lance -- based on upside

5.  Mac Jones -- big drop off after him

6.  Kyle Trask -- don't mind rolling the dice later in the draft just not in the first.  Accuracy and intangibles might translate to an overachiever

7.  Desmond Ridder -- my favorite get the dude later in the draft so far.  2nd-3rd Rd?  Mobility. 

8. Jamie Newman -- I like his upside but I can't get that Clemson game out of my head where he was horrendous

9.  Kellen Mond -- so up and down hard for me to get a read

10. Ian Book -- plays with a lot of moxie

11. F. Franks -- I don't think he has it

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Trask is the ultimate, "Wait, we took him?" draft pick there.

I wouldn't touch Trask before the third round.

Yeah, if any of the top 5 QBs are not there, I'll take BPA and take the best LT or say screw it and take Najee or Etienne.  

2nd round mock, one of my guys, Toney lands at our pick.  

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2021-nfl-mock-draft-reid-4.0

Jaguars

Shaun Wade

CB, Ohio State

Jets

Rashod Bateman

WR, Minnesota

Bengals

Carlos Basham Jr.

EDGE, Wake Forest

Panthers

Eric Stokes

CB, Georgia

Falcons

Travis Etienne

RB, Clemson

Dolphins

Najee Harris

RB, Alabama

Eagles

Derion Kendrick

CB, Clemson

Cowboys

Trevon Moehrig

S, TCU

Chargers

Myjai Sanders

EDGE, Cincinnati

Lions

Terrace Marshall Jr.

WR, LSU

49ers

Kyle Trask

QB, Florida

Broncos

Tyson Campbell

CB, Georgia

Giants

Chris Olave

WR, Ohio State

Jaguars

Jay Tufele

IDL, USC

Patriots

Pat Freiermuth

TE, Penn State

Bears

Trey Smith

IOL, Tennessee

Raiders

Jayson Oweh

EDGE, Penn State

Ravens

Hamilcar Rashed Jr.

EDGE, Oregon State

Washington

Kadarius Toney

WR, Florida

Cardinals

Brenton Cox Jr.

EDGE, Florida

Dolphins

Landon Dickerson

IOL, Alabama

Buccaneers

Teven Jenkins

OT, Oklahoma State

Browns

Jabril Cox

LB, LSU

Colts

Paulson Adebo

CB, Stanford

Rams

Quincy Roche

EDGE, Miami

Seahawks

Jackson Carman

OT, Clemson

Titans

Asante Samuel Jr.

CB, Florida State

Bills

Creed Humphrey

IOL, Oklahoma

Saints

Tyree Gillespie

S, Missouri

Steelers

Javonte Williams

RB, North Carolina

Packers

Rondale Moore

WR, Purdue

Chiefs

Amon-Ra St. Brown

WR, USC

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

2nd round mock, one of my guys, Toney lands at our pick.  

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2021-nfl-mock-draft-reid-4.0

Jaguars

Shaun Wade

CB, Ohio State

Jets

Rashod Bateman

WR, Minnesota

Bengals

Carlos Basham Jr.

EDGE, Wake Forest

Panthers

Eric Stokes

CB, Georgia

Falcons

Travis Etienne

RB, Clemson

Dolphins

Najee Harris

RB, Alabama

Eagles

Derion Kendrick

CB, Clemson

Cowboys

Trevon Moehrig

S, TCU

Chargers

Myjai Sanders

EDGE, Cincinnati

Lions

Terrace Marshall Jr.

WR, LSU

49ers

Kyle Trask

QB, Florida

Broncos

Tyson Campbell

CB, Georgia

Giants

Chris Olave

WR, Ohio State

Jaguars

Jay Tufele

IDL, USC

Patriots

Pat Freiermuth

TE, Penn State

Bears

Trey Smith

IOL, Tennessee

Raiders

Jayson Oweh

EDGE, Penn State

Ravens

Hamilcar Rashed Jr.

EDGE, Oregon State

Washington

Kadarius Toney

WR, Florida

Cardinals

Brenton Cox Jr.

EDGE, Florida

Dolphins

Landon Dickerson

IOL, Alabama

Buccaneers

Teven Jenkins

OT, Oklahoma State

Browns

Jabril Cox

LB, LSU

Colts

Paulson Adebo

CB, Stanford

Rams

Quincy Roche

EDGE, Miami

Seahawks

Jackson Carman

OT, Clemson

Titans

Asante Samuel Jr.

CB, Florida State

Bills

Creed Humphrey

IOL, Oklahoma

Saints

Tyree Gillespie

S, Missouri

Steelers

Javonte Williams

RB, North Carolina

Packers

Rondale Moore

WR, Purdue

Chiefs

Amon-Ra St. Brown

WR, USC

I’d take Moore personally, buts is really in the eye of the beholder 

Honestly I think the ordering of Lance, Fields and Wilson is based on who wants what and who is drafting where.

Lance is the project who can run with tremendous potential.

Fields is the total athlete who needs to refine his play under pressure but you see glimpses in college of what he looks like as a prospect and it’s downright terrifying for defenses.

Wilson is the tough dude who throws a little unorthodox with a 3/4 wind up and can run. More inaccurate than either of the other two dudes in my opinion but that’s because he takes some risks they don’t.

Wouldnt be surprised with any of them going 2, even Lance. Though I think he’s the longest shot of the group.

I'm actually warming up to the idea of taking Lance at 19 or a slight trade up(no future 1sts though). I think his rookie year we can use him sparingly in a Taysom Hill style role while he develops his game. We have the D to keep us in games if he is forced into starting and if Alex Smith completely falls off by midseason we have a young stud who can inject life into a season(like what Lamar did for the Ravens in 2018).

Great. I'd move up. 

Also, just out of curiosity, what price would you guys pay to get to #1 overall? Would you trade both Chase and Montez for Lawrence? Whoever choosing 1st obviously isn't trading the pick, but I'm curious the different takes people might have relative to the value of the pick and players on our roster. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2923469-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-latest-2021-nfl-mock-draft-and-more

We're getting to Fall-Draft-Order-Shake-Up-Season.  We need a better acronym, but it's that time of year where all the mocks start shifting.  Then they start shifting again at the Senior Bowl, and again after the Combine.  Some of the Round 1 guys start dropping to Rounds 3-4-5, and others "rise" multiple rounds as well.

Key thing's:

He's got OT - Rashawn Slater going #3.  That makes 2 OT's going in the Top 5.

He's got Chase-Smith-Pitts going 6,7,8.  So the elite prospects are all off the board early.  I was dreaming we'd trade up a few spots if Smith was available in the mid-teens.

He's got 4 QB's going in the teens, so 6 total QB's by Pick 19.  That's a crazy class if true, can't rely on Day 2 QB prospects being there at that point.

Does this actually happen?  Who knows, but it's a bit different.

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Also, just out of curiosity, what price would you guys pay to get to #1 overall? Would you trade both Chase and Montez for Lawrence? Whoever choosing 1st obviously isn't trading the pick, but I'm curious the different takes people might have relative to the value of the pick and players on our roster. 

No way I trade legit NFL stars for an unknown prospect, no matter how blue-chip & "NFL ready" he may be.

Draft Twitter is super reactionary. Wilson played last night (and played well!) so he’s the topic of conversation. If Fields goes out and has a day in the playoffs people will come out and say, “forget Wilson! Fields is the clear cut 2!”

Truth is they are both good quarterbacks. I like one more than the other but I think they both have some potential.

14 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm actually warming up to the idea of taking Lance at 19 or a slight trade up(no future 1sts though). I think his rookie year we can use him sparingly in a Taysom Hill style role while he develops his game. We have the D to keep us in games if he is forced into starting and if Alex Smith completely falls off by midseason we have a young stud who can inject life into a season(like what Lamar did for the Ravens in 2018).

I doubt it would require just a slight trade up.  Too many QB needy teams picking ahead of us.  Especially with Hurts burning it up thus far -- I doubt a dude with potential elite mobility ends up a surprise faller.  Years back I could see it.  I'd be surprised if it happened in 2021.  So many teams ahead of us who could use a QB now or start grooming the QB of the future. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 9.18.51 PM.png

Archived