Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

8 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Lance, Jones, or Trask, I dont care which one really. They're all developmental guys that need to sit a year. Draft whichever one has the highest floor. 

I’ve been a Jones guy for awhile as my favorite 2nd tier QB. I’ve been trying to get into Trask likewise but the reason why I favor Jones is he IMO has better pocket presence, readjusts his footwork better when he had to dodge trash at his feet, and has  the stronger arm. The thing I like a lot about him is he sells play action really well, he is also good at looking off safeties, he has some pro ready qualities. 

10 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Looks like a dynamic runner. His passing accuracy doesn't look great here. 

about 67 Percent completion rate. His accuracy is ok but far from special. IMO he had good arm strength, good touch, above average runner, throws well on the move.  He needs though refinement especially with intermediate throws, needs more arc on his deep throws, and needs to be more decisive IMO.

I’ve been watching most of Ridders games in real time versus older ones on YouTube. Part of his story is that he is an ascending player. Keeps getting better. He wasn’t as good last season or in the beginning of this one. 

The thing is when you are talking about third round type QBs you are projecting. They all have blatant flaws otherwise they’d be high first round talents.

Hes at the moment my 7th favorite QB in the draft. 

2 hours ago, -JB- said:

Random but it’s pretty scary that the Dolphins have 2 first rounders & 2 second rounders in the upcoming draft.

Definitely helps their rebuild process quicker. That could have been us if we played our cards right with Kirk and Trent. So unfortunate.

8 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

He has Peterson-like vision, his cuts remind me of what Peterson does, he's so good at finding those small holes up the middle. 

Yep.  So patient and good at finding space.  I love how he never looks panicked and he's always thinking and creating.  That part really reminds me of Leveon.  It's a mentality you can develop when you're just physically superior to your competition and the game comes easier to you than to others.

He's smart too.  He's got such great hips and light feet for his size that he is constantly making angle and tempo adjustments to string out defenders and buy his blockers time to win the battle for the fit, or at least get in the way and let him create the rest.  And then you pair that with the easy power to where he can pound it into the teeth of the defense and it takes four defenders jumping on his back to get him down and he's still going to fall forward and milk out extra yards.

I didn't realize he set the Alabama TD record until they mentioned it last night.  His production is better than Ingram and Henry and Shaun Alexander?  And he's split time with Brian Robinson, Damien Harris, Josh Jacobs, No Scarborough, etc.  That puts him into program history, which is saying something for that program.  Sometimes when a special one moves through a dominant program like Bama, we don't always notice just how special they are for a while.  We're so used to seeing dominant collegiate running backs playing for Bama that we take them for granted.  But Najee is different from most of the other Alabama runners in a similar way to Derrick Henry, who was also taken for granted in his draft class.

3 hours ago, max21 said:

Pitts is an absolute beast

Really enjoyed the Bama Florida game last night, I’d be pretty happy with Mac Jones but he’s going to go top 20 I think. 

If that happens it means a dude like Lance can fall which is great news for us.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I’ve been a Jones guy for awhile as my favorite 2nd tier QB. I’ve been trying to get into Trask likewise but the reason why I favor Jones is he IMO has better pocket presence, readjusts his footwork better when he had to dodge trash at his feet, and has  the stronger arm. The thing I like a lot about him is he sells play action really well, he is also good at looking off safeties, he has some pro ready qualities. 

I'm quite a bit higher on Trask. While I think Mac Jones does have more mobility than Trask, Trask has a better arm with more accuracy. He looks like he understands complex defenses and I think the mental part of the game comes easy for him. He just looks the part of an NFL QB to me, while Jones at times gives me McCarron vibes. Most of the time he doesn't make it past his first read. He's prone to more mistakes and it gives me some pause with him but I would still be fine with drafting him. We desperately need a QBotF. Also, Trask had a great game against the closest defense you'll find to NFL caliber, Florida's defense isn't even close to as good. 

9 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'm quite a bit higher on Trask. While I think Mac Jones does have more mobility than Trask, Trask has a better arm with more accuracy. He looks like he understands complex defenses and I think the mental part of the game comes easy for him. He just looks the part of an NFL QB to me, while Jones at times gives me McCarron vibes. Most of the time he doesn't make it past his first read. He's prone to more mistakes and it gives me some pause with him but I would still be fine with drafting him. We desperately need a QBotF. Also, Trask had a great game against the closest defense you'll find to NFL caliber, Florida's defense isn't even close to as good. 

It's hard to guage arm strength.  It's a lot easier to do it in person.  On TV, Mac Jones to my eyes has a stronger arm than Trask.    I was at the Alabama bowl game earlier this year and i had a really good view of Mac's deep ball to Jeudy.  My seats were close to the sideline and the ball landed almost dead on parallel to where i was sitting -- it was a really strong throw with nice arc to it.  It struck me at the time because I thought then that Jones was some scrub.  At that point I was into Tua and just saw Mac as some mediocre backup.    I haven't seen Trask throw live though to do apples to apples.

I do agree with @KDawg that Trask holds on to the ball too long at times.  Jones has the quicker release IMO.  But what I like about him over Trask more than anything is his footwork with trash at his feet.  Jones has some nifty footwork when it comes to dodging pressure and stepping into the pocket.  I don't get the same vibe with Trask.  

Trask can make some nifty throws with imtermediate to long out routes/corner routes including a beauty last night.   As I've said multiple times, I've really tried hard to love Trask.  I got more friends and relatives who are Gator fans than any other team.   I wouldn't hate if they kicked the tires on Trask but I got some fear about him adjusting to the NFL.  

I add I love how Mac Jones sells play action.  I know Kirk's name is like poision to some here. 😀   But getting past that, Mac on two fronts reminds me of Kirk.  That is, they are both really good at selling play action and they are both deadly at times with intermediate throws up the middle -- 10-20 yards in between the numbers. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I add I love how Mac Jones sells play action.  I know Kirk's name is like poision to some here. 😀   But getting past that, Mac on two fronts reminds me of Kirk.  That is, they are both really good at selling play action and they are both deadly at times with intermediate throws up the middle -- 10-20 yards in between the numbers. 

I know this is subjective, but Mac Jones just looks more competent to me in terms of going through his progressions. His arm seems adequate, but not special. Ditto his feet. But he just looks ready to come in and read a defense and get the ball out. The Alabama defense always looks smooth with Mac Jones. He makes the right reads. He distributes. He is accurate. And that is a super under rated quality. Dwayne still can't do that. I think Cousins is a nice comparison for Mac Jones. I wouldn't love Mac Jones in the 1st, but I guess I could live with it. I'd be more excited to trade our 1st for Matthew Stafford than to take Mac Jones there. I'd also rather trade two 1sts and a 2nd for Zach Wilson. In general, taking a flyer on a late 1st round QB is usually a waste. There are a million Christian Ponders. 

Trask to me looks like he is going to struggle. His footwork isn't great, arm isn't great, but most of all, I feel like he stands there and pats the ball and waits for something to come open. That's not going to pass muster in the NFL. I see him as a mediocre backup level QB. Not as good as Kyle Allen. Wouldn't draft him at all. 

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Wow.  I've watched a lot of Jones this year and disagree with most of what you say here in a big way.  To say he is mistake prone, doesn't understand defenses, and doesn't make it past the first read flies in the face of what has actually occurred, from what I've seen.  Jones has been really, really good in exactly the skills you say he is short in.  Your take could not possibly be farther from mine.  Jones has been very consistent every game - and teams are never looking ahead to the next game when they play Alabama.  Jones has certainly played and excelled against good defenses.  To fault him for some reason because his team's defense happens to be strong just seems weird to me.  

Unfortunately, from what I've been reading, it seems unlikely that Jones will last until our pick comes up, as a lot of NFL teams are high on him.

4 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

Wow.  I've watched a lot of Jones this year and disagree with most of what you say here in a big way.  To say he is mistake prone, doesn't understand defenses, and doesn't make it past the first read flies in the face of what has actually occurred, from what I've seen.  Jones has been really, really good in exactly the skills you say he is short in.  Your take could not possibly be farther from mine.  Jones has been very consistent every game - and teams are never looking ahead to the next game when they play Alabama.  Jones has certainly played and excelled against good defenses.  To fault him for some reason because his team's defense happens to be strong just seems weird to me.  

Unfortunately, from what I've been reading, it seems unlikely that Jones will last until our pick comes up, as a lot of NFL teams are high on him.

I didn't say any of that lol. The comparison is strictly between Trask and Jones, so when I say he is more mistake prone, im saying he's more mistake prone than Trask. 

Honestly, nothing we can do but wait but I'm pretty positive Trask will be the better NFL player. 

This game pretty much reinforced why I prioritize LB, OL, and WR. We couldn't stop the run game to save our lives and had to run a 5 man DL front to compensate our LBs inability to fill a gap. Our OL couldn't consistently open holes and they let us down in the biggest moments of the game. Our WRs couldn't win any 1 on 1 match ups or make plays outside of Terry. These additions will make a huge impact on how a game like today plays out. 

8 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

This game pretty much reinforced why I prioritize LB, OL, and WR. We couldn't stop the run game to save our lives and had to run a 5 man DL front to compensate our LBs inability to fill a gap. Our OL couldn't consistently open holes and they let us down in the biggest moments of the game. Our WRs couldn't win any 1 on 1 match ups or make plays outside of Terry. These additions will make a huge impact on how a game like today plays out. 

I really want a stud LB. I miss the days of London Fletcher just stuffing the run. I'm so sick of Bostic and Hamilton getting eviscerated in run defense.

We need someone like Roquan Smith on the Bears or Devin White on the Bucs.

If this team was in sync, they could have beaten a pretty good Seattle team.  They're not there yet, but QB isn't a disaster for us.  Gotta get better in the return game on special teams.  Gotta get better in the passing game and get deeper in the run game.  Gotta get better on run defense.  I third the notion that we can make big strides with upgrades to the LBers and OL and WR groups.  Feels like the OL is like two players away from being good, so it's feasible we could get it fixed this offseason.

Book it.  :ols:

Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 8.50.08 PM.png

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If this team was in sync, they could have beaten a pretty good Seattle team.  They're not there yet, but QB isn't a disaster for us.  Gotta get better in the return game on special teams.  Gotta get better in the passing game and get deeper in the run game.  Gotta get better on run defense.  I third the notion that we can make big strides with upgrades to the LBers and OL and WR groups.  Feels like the OL is like two players away from being good, so it's feasible we could get it fixed this offseason.

Elijah Moore, Kardarius Toney, Rondale Moore would both fix slot and the return game. 

8 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I know this is subjective, but Mac Jones just looks more competent to me in terms of going through his progressions. His arm seems adequate, but not special. Ditto his feet. But he just looks ready to come in and read a defense and get the ball out. The Alabama defense always looks smooth with Mac Jones. He makes the right reads. He distributes. He is accurate. And that is a super under rated quality. Dwayne still can't do that. I think Cousins is a nice comparison for Mac Jones. I wouldn't love Mac Jones in the 1st, but I guess I could live with it. I'd be more excited to trade our 1st for Matthew Stafford than to take Mac Jones there. I'd also rather trade two 1sts and a 2nd for Zach Wilson. In general, taking a flyer on a late 1st round QB is usually a waste. There are a million Christian Ponders. 

Trask to me looks like he is going to struggle. His footwork isn't great, arm isn't great, but most of all, I feel like he stands there and pats the ball and waits for something to come open. That's not going to pass muster in the NFL. I see him as a mediocre backup level QB. Not as good as Kyle Allen. Wouldn't draft him at all. 

If we win the division am guessing Lance won't be an easy get.  Mac Jones might be the next in line.  I'd rather get him too in the 2nd round but i suspect that won't happen.    Part of me wonders if he even falls to our pick. 

I like Mac's ability manipulate defenses with his eyes/body language and sell play action.  He's not mobile but has good footwork in the pocket.  And supposedly has a mega work ethic. 

So as of now:

1) Jacksonville - Lawrence

2) Jets - Wilson or Fields or Lance. Who knows with them.

Denver is going to take one of them, too. And Dallas is a wild card a touch later. 

There really might be 6 or 7 QBs off the board in the first.

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

So as of now:

1) Jacksonville - Lawrence

2) Jets - Wilson or Fields or Lance. Who knows with them.

Denver is going to take one of them, too. And Dallas is a wild card a touch later. 

There really might be 6 or 7 QBs off the board in the first.

Yep.  I circled the teams I think will likely take a QB and underlined the ones who might.  It's part of the reason why i don't think it will be easy to land one of the first tier QBs.  It might not even be easy to land Jones.  And like i've been saying on another thread, i get the impression that Keim thinks they might be aggressive to address Qb in the off season.  So i am doubting that means the 8th rated or whatever Qb in the 2nd or 3rd round.  So i think the off season might be interesting. 

draftorder.png

Archived