Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Kamren Curl, S Arkansas

zCommander

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

you can never have too many DBs, he’ll get snaps imo

Well..., 54 would be too many.  The league just won't allow it.  And I'm all for multi-tasking, but so far I don't see Curl or ANY defensive back in the entire NFL solving our woes at LT and LG.  In contrast, Landon Collins has the *attitude* to play C (gonna make it *his* box on both sides of the ball) but in a goal line situation, his road grading doesn't fill me with confidence.  I think it's possible to have too many DBs.

Back to Kamren, I hope this guy sticks.  I want to hear "OHHHHHH!!!  #31 Kamren Curl bringing the curling iron!  Curl hit him so hard, he gave him a new hairdo!  Man, that's one helluva permanent press.  Curl's gonna have some quality highlights when this game's over."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

If Curl does continue to show out and develop, and it’s still early, then that’d be two years in a row where a 7th round DB panned our for us with Jimmy last year. 

Kyle Smith seems to be doing a damn good job with his late round metrics. 

Even our other 7th rounder this year, JSW,  is showing some promise.

He's just going to be restricted by the talent ahead of him.

Then Moreland like you said in 2019

In 2018 it was Stroman and Quinn. Stroman has stuck around and Quinn might still turn out good for someone else.

In 2017, we got JHC but he opted out this year, so we're still not sure what we have.

In 2015, it was Austin Reiter who turned into a Center for the Super Bowl Champs.

Those are all some good 7th rounders.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2020 at 6:45 PM, Fresh8686 said:

Wow, that’s pretty damn good for 7th rounders when you list it out like that. I’d forgotten about Austin Reiter. 

It's crazy when you compare our 7th rounders, to our 4th Rounders, which I just did the other day in another thread.

Total opposite.

For years, our 4th round picks havn't amounted to anything, even in several years that we had two 4th rounders.

But our 7th Rounders have often done well.

Maybe the Front Office is like, "Eh, it's just the 7th round. Let the Janitor make the pick. Not much to lose anyway, I mean IT IS the 7th Round."

Meanwhile, unbeknownst to the whole FO, the Janitor is the next Charlie Casserly in the making, who started out as an unpaid Intern.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Even if he doesn’t, it doesn’t mean much. That’s a tough assignment for any 7th rounder to just step in like that.

Yeah, it is a tough job and being in the NFL is tough.  But, I'm hoping we does well.  I didn't really notice a big difference when Collins went down and he took over so really hoping he can keep it up and be someone we want long-term.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, owa said:

Yeah, it is a tough job and being in the NFL is tough.  But, I'm hoping we does well.  I didn't really notice a big difference when Collins went down and he took over so really hoping he can keep it up and be someone we want long-term.

I think he’s a keeper but I know how fast this fan base can turn on someone if they don’t excel immediately.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

I don't believe he ever had much issue filling the physical role in terms of coming up and being a reliable tackler.

His issue is coverage diagnosis and execution. To be honest, I don't feel like they tested Kurl too much (Darby was in the cross hairs) so this game really played to Kurl's strengths.

He looked very good today, but I would expect that in games like this one. We will see in the future if he has improved his coverage.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I know we been doin really well in the 7th round the last couple years.

Both Curl and Moreland have had nice impacts on defense.

We finally have good scouting. I bet once you get to the later rounds all of our previous fartheads involved with or owning this team aren't paying attention anymore so the real boots on the ground football guys in the building are making the decisions. 

Mclaurin, Gibson, Moreland, Curl, Holcomb, Settle,... I have high hopes for the LSU LT also, bummer he got hurt. 

Edited by XxSpearheadxX
  • Like 1

He's the best tackler on the team. Along with McLaurin.

Doesn't care about getting the highlight hit. Just does what he needs to do to bring the runner down. And he always does.

He is like a heat-seeking missile toward the runner, even if he's on the other side of the field.

You just see his blur and the runner suddenly go down.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kamren Curl, S, Washington Football Team

"Curl made a team-high eight tackles in Washington’s 23-17 win over Pittsburgh in the Steel City, spoiling the Steelers perfect season. The rookie safety made two crucial back-to-back tackles for no gain when Pittsburgh had the ball at Washington’s 1-yard line in the second quarter. Curl is tops among all rookie NFL safeties in PFF’s defense (66.5) and coverage (68.4) grades. The 2020 seventh round draft selection is also second on the team with 62 total tackles, behind only veteran LB Jon Bostic."

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/prohogs-in-the-nfl-week-13-report/

According to this report, Kam leads all rookie safeties in PFF's defense. What. A. Steal. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

We do pretty well with those late round DBs we like taking.

Kyle Smith really has a feel for them. Whatever he's been doing over the past several years with the draft, he's uncovered some gems and some really solid contributors in the back half of the draft.  There are your head scratchers, but you're always going to have a few of those in every draft. I'd say he needs to keep doing what he's doing there.  

For whatever reason, the second round has been the bugaboo for this team for a while:

2020 (Didn't have one, Part 2 of the trade to get Montez Sweat, which I think we can agree has worked out)

2019 (Didn't have one, Part 1 of the trade to get Montez Sweat)

2018 - Guice.  Busty bust bust bust bust.

2017 - Ryan Anderson. Reach, and will be gone after this season

2016 - Cravens. Busty bust bust bust bust.

2015 - Preston Smith.  Good pick.  Pity he was coached by Barry and Manusky.  He has done well in GB, though still inconsistent. 

2014 - Trent Murphy. Very "meh" and then got hurt and hit with a drug suspension.  

2013 - David Amerson.  Bust.

2012 - Didn't have one due to the Griffin trade

2011 - Jarvis Jenkins.  "Meh" at absolute best.

2010 - Didn't have one. I think McNabb trade

2009 - Didn't have one.  I don't remember who they traded for.  

The draft we do not mention, which contained the player who we do not name (grooming tool).  Along with Sleepy and Devin Thomas. 

I seem to think that Vinny angered the football Gods by picking 3 pass catchers and they have punished the team for the next decade for that transgression, because the unquestioned best pick was Preston Smith, and he's good but inconsistent.  

Toss up between Guice and Cravens as the worst pick.  You could argue where they were both picked, they might have been the worst picks of their respective draft classes, given he off-field issues for both and complete lack of contribution.  

Having said this, I might be one to trade out of the second round every year. (That's a joke...)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Kyle Smith really has a feel for them. Whatever he's been doing over the past several years with the draft, he's uncovered some gems and some really solid contributors in the back half of the draft.  There are your head scratchers, but you're always going to have a few of those in every draft. I'd say he needs to keep doing what he's doing there.  

For whatever reason, the second round has been the bugaboo for this team for a while:

2020 (Didn't have one, Part 2 of the trade to get Montez Sweat, which I think we can agree has worked out)

2019 (Didn't have one, Part 1 of the trade to get Montez Sweat)

2018 - Guice.  Busty bust bust bust bust.

2017 - Ryan Anderson. Reach, and will be gone after this season

2016 - Cravens. Busty bust bust bust bust.

2015 - Preston Smith.  Good pick.  Pity he was coached by Barry and Manusky.  He has done well in GB, though still inconsistent. 

2014 - Trent Murphy. Very "meh" and then got hurt and hit with a drug suspension.  

2013 - David Amerson.  Bust.

2012 - Didn't have one due to the Griffin trade

2011 - Jarvis Jenkins.  "Meh" at absolute best.

2010 - Didn't have one. I think McNabb trade

2009 - Didn't have one.  I don't remember who they traded for.  

The draft we do not mention, which contained the player who we do not name (grooming tool).  Along with Sleepy and Devin Thomas. 

I seem to think that Vinny angered the football Gods by picking 3 pass catchers and they have punished the team for the next decade for that transgression, because the unquestioned best pick was Preston Smith, and he's good but inconsistent.  

Toss up between Guice and Cravens as the worst pick.  You could argue where they were both picked, they might have been the worst picks of their respective draft classes, given he off-field issues for both and complete lack of contribution.  

Having said this, I might be one to trade out of the second round every year. (That's a joke...)

After we draft Pitts in the first, we should probably use our second this year and second next year to trade up for Mac Jones at the end of the first just to be safe.

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

After we draft Pitts in the first, we should probably use our second this year and second next year to trade up for Mac Jones at the end of the first just to be safe.

From a purely theoretical perspective, I wonder if getting 2 firsts every other year is better than getting a second every year.

Clearly it would depend on who you select, but if you get serious impact players, it might be worth it, given this team hasn't really hit on a second rounder in at least a decade.

• Like 1