Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Kamren Curl, S Arkansas

zCommander

4 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

How about John Gesak, I remember people were fired up about him and he bombed.

I don't even remember that guy.

I also remember being excited for Sean Gilbert....who thanks his lucky stars each day for the existence of Albert Haynesworth who can rightfully take the title of biggest FA bust (and there have been many) in team history.  Sean Gilbert is almost like a footnote now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I also remember being excited for Sean Gilbert....who thanks his lucky stars each day for the existence of Albert Haynesworth who can rightfully take the title of biggest FA bust (and there have been many) in team history.  Sean Gilbert is almost like a footnote now.

He started at G for the Cowboys in 90, 91, 92, and 93, two of those years they won Superbowls.

Then we got him and that was that. 

21 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Gilbert gave us an excellent year and then got us two first rounders after he took a year off because God told him to.  Albert, at best, was a JAG in his first year (and that is being nice), wasn't even that in year two and got us a New England fifth.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think it’s more likely that they run a 2-safety system that operates with box rolls and is primarily a 1-high with some coverage rules to a 2-high shell with Collins and Curl as the safeties. That solves the free safety issue and allows both Collins and Curl to play in the box a bit. 

At times you can go with a dime type set and have Moreland/Curl or Collins down around the LoS, the other safety high with a free and two inside backers. 

There are a lot of things that can happen but I’m more comfortable with Curl + Collins than any of our current FS + either... but especially with Collins.

Curl is our best safety.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think it’s more likely that they run a 2-safety system that operates with box rolls and is primarily a 1-high with some coverage rules to a 2-high shell with Collins and Curl as the safeties. That solves the free safety issue and allows both Collins and Curl to play in the box a bit. 

At times you can go with a dime type set and have Moreland/Curl or Collins down around the LoS, the other safety high with a free and two inside backers. 

There are a lot of things that can happen but I’m more comfortable with Curl + Collins than any of our current FS + either... but especially with Collins.

Curl is our best safety.

This sounds like a good idea to me. Of course, most options come with a downside. What do you see as the downside here? Will our pass coverage suffer?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dswerdlw said:

This sounds like a good idea to me. Of course, most options come with a downside. What do you see as the downside here? Will our pass coverage suffer?

Versus what we had this year? I don’t think so. Versus a real good coverage unit? Yes. Collins is a coverage liability and Curl isn’t great in the deep zones.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Versus what we had this year? I don’t think so. Versus a real good coverage unit? Yes. Collins is a coverage liability and Curl isn’t great in the deep zones.

Though there's every reason to imagine that Curl has the ability to get better at deep zone coverage. I figure he may not be at his floor, but as a rookie he's also nowhere near his ceiling.

Just now, Burgold said:

Though there's every reason to imagine that Curl has the ability to get better at deep zone coverage. I figure he may not be at his floor, but as a rookie he's also nowhere near his ceiling.

Doesn’t change the point. But yes, he is a rookie so development is imminent 

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Doesn’t change the point. But yes, he is a rookie so development is imminent 

While true, it's also important to remember that there are always guys that start out with a bang and fizzle out fast. Not saying that'll happen with Curl but while I'm ok with giving him the keys to the car, I wouldn't let him drive off without insurance.

More talent the better, let the dudes battle it out and have depth/versatility at the safety spot next year. Collins money isn’t going any place until after next year, just in time for a Payne extension. 

I still thought Collins was dynamic at times in making plays in the run game. Him playing some money backer would be an option. 

Just now, wit33 said:

More talent the better, let the dudes battle it out and have depth/versatility at the safety spot next year. Collins money isn’t going any place until after next year, just in time for a Payne extension. 

I still thought Collins was dynamic at times in making plays in the run game. Him playing some money backer would be an option. 

I feel he kinda had a raw deal this year only because at the beginning, the DL was still trying to gel and weren't playing the same dominant level they did for the majority of the season. QBs still had too much time and were able to take more chances downfield. With less time and shorter passes, I feel Landon would have done a great job making the tackles that Reaves and Bostic couldn't. Those extra couple of yards they would give up being pushed back make a huge difference.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I feel he kinda had a raw deal this year only because at the beginning, the DL was still trying to gel and weren't playing the same dominant level they did for the majority of the season. QBs still had too much time and were able to take more chances downfield. With less time and shorter passes, I feel Landon would have done a great job making the tackles that Reaves and Bostic couldn't. Those extra couple of yards they would give up being pushed back make a huge difference.

I agree wholeheartedly, probably because I want this to be the case as well. Also, he played his first year in an all around horrible situation and this year learning a new defense while all were getting acclimated. Believe/hope he will have a big year upcoming. 

4 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I agree wholeheartedly, probably because I want this to be the case as well. Also, he played his first year in an all around horrible situation and this year learning a new defense while all were getting acclimated. Believe/hope he will have a big year upcoming. 

The secondary consisted of two new CB (Darby and Fuller) and Troy Apke along with him. There was absolutely no cohesion - understandable considering there was no offseason. He tried to do too much and found himself out of position too much. The DL wasn't getting the same consistent pressure despite that game 1 8 sack performance. I would absolutely love to try him out at ILB but if not is there a way to keep him and Curl on the field at the same time? I don't think we're keeping Darby so unless we bring someone else in our corners are Moreland, Moreau and Fuller. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

The secondary consisted of two new CB (Darby and Fuller) and Troy Apke along with him. There was absolutely no cohesion - understandable considering there was no offseason. He tried to do too much and found himself out of position too much. The DL wasn't getting the same consistent pressure despite that game 1 8 sack performance. I would absolutely love to try him out at ILB but if not is there a way to keep him and Curl on the field at the same time? I don't think we're keeping Darby so unless we bring someone else in our corners are Moreland, Moreau and Fuller. 

it seems weird to me that a guy who played some CB in college and has played nickelback couldn't play free safety

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

We have discussed this above. Also I believe Moreau is also a FA.

11 minutes ago, carex said:

it seems weird to me that a guy who played some CB in college and has played nickelback couldn't play free safety

Just because he played the position doesn't mean he has the measurables necessary to succeed there at the NFL level.

Hes such a stud at SS, I dont see why we would play him anywhere else. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1