Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Kamren Curl, S Arkansas

zCommander

4 hours ago, carex said:

he started his college career as a CB

He got moved to CB because of injuries, not skills.

5 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Really enjoyed that interview. I don’t watch many, but she asked great questions and JDR was a good listen.

So glad to have a competent DC sort it all out.

He looks so confident. I think his defenses always end up the 2nd ranked in his second year. This feels like it's going to be his masterpiece and he knows it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I went back and watched Curl in college at Arkansas, I think we would be pleasantly surprised with him at FS. I saw him in deep coverage quite often. He even has a couple of plays in deep coverage shutting down Marshall and Jefferson from LSU. 

He's legitimately one of the most versatile DBs I've ever seen on our team. Dude can play and excel at the SS/FS/and nickel CB positions. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

So wait ... he’s a FS and Slot Corner? 

Maybe he isn’t a deep safety but seems like maybe we shouldn’t be penciling him in at SS? Figured he’d play FS and Collins SS in base ... and on passing downs move up to Buffalo nickel and put someone else at FS (McCain? Reaves? Forrest?)

You can line Curl up anywhere in the secondary but outside CB IMO. Tbh he probably wouldn't even be bad there in limited snaps. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

The stacking and shedding combined with the coverage here is so impressive. 

That is an outstanding video. I've seen game highlight reels with curl on them, but never by himself. For a rookie late-round pick, he's incredible.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Curl is great at/around the box. He's a natural SS/short zone slot CB. I don't see him as a deep FS at all, that just isn't his skill set.

I tend to agree.  Of course it’s possible that he looks better at FS than the other guys we have, but it’s not the best spot for him.  The combo of Curl, Forrest and Everett do give us a bit more position flex - closer to that ‘interchangeable safety’ mentality that coaches have been spouting for years here.  OTOH, Reaves is probably the closest we have to an actual FS...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Curl is great at/around the box. He's a natural SS/short zone slot CB. I don't see him as a deep FS at all, that just isn't his skill set.

He can definitely play deep FS and will probably be our starting FS once the season starts because he's our best option there. That isn't to say he isn't a more natural in the box SS, because he is, but I think he's by far our best option at FS. 

• Like 1

I'll say it again, even though I'm pretty sure Curl is a better SS than Collins, I think Curl and Collins are probably our best safety duo currently with Curl at FS and Collins at SS. As a way to maximize the amount of talent we have on the field, I'm okay with Curl playing FS even though he's more a SS fit. Here's a vid of Curl off-season training, although he's only a 4.6 safety does anyone really think he plays like a 4.6 guy? He's the fastest guy on our defense most of the time it seems like. There are a lot of Free Safeties in the league that run a 4.6 that aren't nearly as twitchy as Curl, plus he's got great length for the position. The only time I ever saw 4.6 was when he ran that interception back for a touchdown lol. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

His play reading is phenomenal in that video. Knows exactly what's happening as soon as its hiked 

That's what impresses me more than anything else. Well that and his open field tackling ability.

Kid will be a stud as long as keep him at/near the LoS.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

That's what impresses me more than anything else. Well that and his open field tackling ability.

Kid will be a stud as long as keep him at/near the LoS.

Yeah, super impressive that he seems to always get his guy to the ground, including bigger backs and guys out in space.  I’ll also never forget that jam he put on Ertz that lead to his pick - totally surprised me that a guy his size could pull that off.  

He was only rated as ‘average’ (by PFF anyway), but that was among all safeties, and 1) he was very consistent and 2) he did that as a late round rookie.  Those two things make me think we won’t see any drop off, that he’s a film grinder, very coachable, and that he should be able to constantly improve his game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

It would be a monumental disappointment to see Curl as our starting FS, after such a great offseason. 

I assume if we can't sign McCain, then we get Boston. 

I think this is fair.  I do think Del Rio could have him play there at times in terms of coverage disguise - he and Fuller in particular offer the versatility to switch things up, though I think Forrest and Everett offer a bit of flexibility as well.  
Our linebackers/DE versatility is interesting as well as a bunch of them can handle some coverage as well as rush duties.  Guys like Davis, Hudson, Toney and even Holcomb can get to the backfield in a hurry and none of them are liabilities (at least athletically) in coverage.  Sweat and Young fit the bill as well.  
Obviously you don’t want to drop Young/Sweat off the line, but if doing so every once in a while leads to a free rusher/blitzer that panics a qb...

Back to your point though, I’d feel better about a adding a legitimate, proven safety to play single high. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NeverSurrender said:

I can think of another SS that switched to FS quite nicely...... just sayin....

Who? If you're saying Sean Taylor, that's not really an apt comparison. Taylor should have been a FS from the start and is such a physical freak he could have played pretty much any position and been an All Pro.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, -JB- said:

Exactly.  Curl should stay right where he is.  He was tremendous at SS.

Versatility is the new game. Just like the NBA has become position less in many ways, the skill guys must be become this way in the NFL. Curl can play the slot, SS, FS, and money LB. Do it all. 

This is how today’s defenses become elite. If you don’t have player versatility or how Ron likes to say it, “position flex” you will have a inconsistent defense. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

Versatility is the new game. Just like the NBA has become position less in many ways, the skill guys must be become this way in the NFL. Curl can play the slot, SS, FS, and money LB. Do it all. 

This is how today’s defenses become elite. If you don’t have player versatility or how Ron likes to say it, “position flex” you will have a inconsistent defense. 

Seeing it on offense too. 

Curl/Fuller on defense and Gibson/Samuel on offense.

Very typical for your WR3 to get official starts, and the nickel on defense. It's a different NFL than 15 years ago. 

With more safety measures the middle of the field has opened up and the value of players maximizing and limiting those opportunities has risen. 

Curl jumping in all over the place will only help his overall game flourish. It's only one more year in this role anyway. 

Would love to find a young FS in his mold in the next couple of drafts. 

Super impressive start to his career. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

When you pull a guy away from his clear strength just so you can play a less versatile player because you still have to pay him you weaken your entire defense.  You know what I’m talking about.

• Like 2