Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Kamren Curl, S Arkansas

zCommander

17 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

From a purely theoretical perspective, I wonder if getting 2 firsts every other year is better than getting a second every year.

Clearly it would depend on who you select, but if you get serious impact players, it might be worth it, given this team hasn't really hit on a second rounder in at least a decade.

That's all we did to get Sweat right? That second and the following one. I mean, it sucks not having a second, but we flush it anyway, so not.

20 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Sweat is 100% worth two 2nds, every penny. 

Yes.  But your hit rate in the 1st is not 100%.  Don't forget, we picked Josh Doctson at about the same pick as Sweat, and he was a complete bust.  

My theoretical question was if it was worth exchanging 2 2nds for a first.  I think the answer is, as with everything, "sometimes."  You just have to be really, really, really sure the player you are picking is worth 2 picks.  In theory, you should get a starter with your second round pick.  This organization has just been woeful at picking in the second round for over a decade.  So I'm kindof happy if they move out of it, forward or backward. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yes.  But your hit rate in the 1st is not 100%.  Don't forget, we picked Josh Doctson at about the same pick as Sweat, and he was a complete bust.  

My theoretical question was if it was worth exchanging 2 2nds for a first.  I think the answer is, as with everything, "sometimes."  You just have to be really, really, really sure the player you are picking is worth 2 picks.  In theory, you should get a starter with your second round pick.  This organization has just been woeful at picking in the second round for over a decade.  So I'm kindof happy if they move out of it, forward or backward. 

Sweat would have gone top 15 if it weren’t for the “heart” issue. Wouldn’t you have traded 2 2nds for a top 15 pick?

• Like 2

I also think we could strike that deal primarily because Ballard thought we would suck the following year and they would get a pretty high 2nd rounder from us. And he was right, as they ultimately got the second pick in the second round. That's basically a sure first rounder on your board.

25 minutes ago, method man said:

Sweat would have gone top 15 if it weren’t for the “heart” issue. Wouldn’t you have traded 2 2nds for a top 15 pick?

Yeah, this is where I am. 

That heart issue may not affect him during the 5+ years he is on the team. Presuming that is the case, he was a fringe top 10 talent that draft and certainly looking better and better. 

5 hours ago, Silvernon said:

Yeah, this is where I am. 

That heart issue may not affect him during the 5+ years he is on the team. Presuming that is the case, he was a fringe top 10 talent that draft and certainly looking better and better. 

Actually that was a mistake and his heart is 100% completely normal. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/montez-sweat-possibly-misdiagnosed-with-heart-issue-0ap3000001027883

Sweat recently met with Houston Texans team doctor Dr. James Muntz and was told he had been misdiagnosed with a heart condition in February while at the scouting combine, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday, via sources with direct knowledge of the situation.

Tests taken at the combine revealed Sweat might have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, which results in thickening of the heart walls, as doctors in Indianapolis measured nearly two centimeters of thickness, according to Rapoport. Sweat has since met with several experts, who concluded that doctors at the combine accidentally included capillary muscle in their testing and that Sweat's actual measurement is about 1.5 centimeters, Rapoport added.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gooseneck said:

Man, I was coming to this thread to get information on Curl and am getting nothing.  I won't "Sweat" it though.  My question is do we need to go safety in the draft with one of our third round picks now, or are we okay,  How do people view our team needs now?

Need to?  No... but FS is still a position of need for us.  

3 hours ago, gooseneck said:

Man, I was coming to this thread to get information on Curl and am getting nothing.  I won't "Sweat" it though.  My question is do we need to go safety in the draft with one of our third round picks now, or are we okay,  How do people view our team needs now?

QB, MLB, FS, OT, WR, TE, CB, OLB, OG, RB, C, SS, DT, DE

In that order from highest need to lowest need. I made the determination based off of the starter and depth we have in place and how much an impact player would improve the team overall. 

I feel like we definitely need an upgrade over Alex down the road, he's fine now but if we want sustained success we have to find a QBotF. MLB is a huge need, we need a Ro Smith, Bobby Wagner, Fred Warner type of guy in the middle to unlock this defense's true potential. This is part of the reason why I still really wouldn't mind us getting Parsons because our defense would be filthy and dominate for the next 3-5 years. The defense alone would put us in the wild-card position year in and year out. 

For FS, I think we can get a bargain contract on Malik Hooker and reap the rewards from it. A 1 or 2 year prove it deal to get some really good play and motivation out of him, similar to what we did with Darby. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

QB, MLB, FS, OT, WR, TE, CB, OLB, OG, RB,

I feel like we definitely need an upgrade over Alex down the road, he's fine now but if we want sustained success we have to find a QBotF.

Will be interesting to see how the FO (or unfortunately with Smith potentially out, Ron wants to do at QB). Wonder if he has an idea or is letting the season play out. If the defense continues its trend upward to close the year there’s no reason not to expect to be in contention next year and a rookie QB doesn’t fit this 2 year type window to go all in with young talent on rookie deals. 

Trending in direction of retaining Smith, but still want to see a bit more from him. I remain slightly worried what his baseline will be without his pre injury mobility. His mobility was critical in complimenting his ultra conservative approach to games, as it provided him opportunities to make plays off schedule or run for critical 1st downs— this is pretty all gone from his game.  The Steeler game was close to getting out of hand in the first half due to ineptitude of the offense. 

As I’ve mentioned previously, fascinated to see if he makes the necessary changes to transform his game and increase his comfort level in the pocket (he’s always been jumpy and jittery, IMO). It’s my belief  the ability for classic old school pocket QB to keep up with today’s QB they must have the ability to go empty set, change and manipulate tempo, and audible and checking and out of plays— it seems Smith is providing these keys (no evidence he has the ability to audible, but when watching it appears he does). The potential golden nugget is his ability to operate comfortably out of empty sets, so critical against the better defense to put them in space and require them to cover more areas. 

Edited by wit33

46 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Will be interesting to see how the FO (or unfortunately with Smith potentially out, Ron wants to do at QB). Wonder if he has an idea or is letting the season play out. If the defense continues its trend upward to close the year there’s no reason not to expect to be in contention next year and a rookie QB doesn’t fit this 2 year type window to go all in with young talent on rookie deals. 

Trending in direction of retaining Smith, but still want to see a bit more from him. I remain slightly worried what his baseline will be without his pre injury mobility. His mobility was critical in complimenting his ultra conservative approach to games, as it provided him opportunities to make plays off schedule or run for critical 1st downs— this is pretty all gone from his game.  The Steeler game was close to getting out of hand in the first half due to ineptitude of the offense. 

As I’ve mentioned previously, fascinated to see if he makes the necessary changes to transform his game and increase his comfort level in the pocket (he’s always been jumpy and jittery, IMO). It’s my belief that the ability for the  classic old school pocket QB must have the ability to go empty set, change and manipulate tempo, and have the ability to audible— it seems Smith is providing these keys (no evidence he has the ability to audible, but when watching it appears he does). The potential golden nugget is his ability to operate comfortably out of empty sets, so critical against the better defense to put them in space and require them to cover more areas. 

We are the Chiefs and 49ers when they had Alex. The talent around him is really starting to blossom and it's easy to see us being a 9-7/10-6 type of team with him at the helm. Compared to years past that is a fantastic record and we should be happy with that, but I have pause because if the talent around him is this good, we need to find a way to capitalize on it and improve the position. Look at what happened with the 49ers and Chiefs immediately post-Alex, both of those teams ascended further up. 

I'm still firmly sitting on acquiring Dak Prescott, pay him more than Dallas is willing to offer and get him here. Dallas is handcuffed to a couple of really bad contracts and Jerry might have pause about how much he's willing to offer Dak because of that. He has really improved his game and is a star. We can work around the contract to make it more cap friendly like Mahomes' deal (obviously not as much $$$). I wouldn't mind trading for Stafford, but I believe the cost will be higher than it should be. 

If we can't acquire a top 10 QB somehow, I'm all for drafting a QB to sit behind Smith. Hopefully the team has a magnitude of plans and backup plans that they have set in place to improve the team and build the best possible roster. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

5 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

QB, MLB, FS, OT, WR, TE, CB, OLB, OG, RB, C, SS, DT, DE

In that order from highest need to lowest need. I made the determination based off of the starter and depth we have in place and how much an impact player would improve the team overall. 

I feel like we definitely need an upgrade over Alex down the road, he's fine now but if we want sustained success we have to find a QBotF. MLB is a huge need, we need a Ro Smith, Bobby Wagner, Fred Warner type of guy in the middle to unlock this defense's true potential. This is part of the reason why I still really wouldn't mind us getting Parsons because our defense would be filthy and dominate for the next 3-5 years. The defense alone would put us in the wild-card position year in and year out. 

For FS, I think we can get a bargain contract on Malik Hooker and reap the rewards from it. A 1 or 2 year prove it deal to get some really good play and motivation out of him, similar to what we did with Darby. 

I'd be over the moon happy if we got Hooker. Otherwise it's over spending for Harris or Simmons , draft or Apke.

Wonder if the Steelers are resigning Avery Williamson. Not much for FA LBers. Ragland maybe. He's coming off a 1 year prove it and has been good for Detroit. I'd draft Parsons too I think.

Wonder if AZ resigns Reddick.

15 hours ago, TheShredder said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/montez-sweat-possibly-misdiagnosed-with-heart-issue-0ap3000001027883

Sweat recently met with Houston Texans team doctor Dr. James Muntz and was told he had been misdiagnosed with a heart condition in February while at the scouting combine, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday, via sources with direct knowledge of the situation.

Tests taken at the combine revealed Sweat might have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, which results in thickening of the heart walls, as doctors in Indianapolis measured nearly two centimeters of thickness, according to Rapoport. Sweat has since met with several experts, who concluded that doctors at the combine accidentally included capillary muscle in their testing and that Sweat's actual measurement is about 1.5 centimeters, Rapoport added.

Man he has to be pissed.  That cost him a lot of money.  

2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Man he has to be pissed.  That cost him a lot of money.  

Not as bad as the BS murder rumors for La’el Collins. He went from top 10 pick to undrafted

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd be over the moon happy if we got Hooker. Otherwise it's over spending for Harris or Simmons , draft or Apke.

Wonder if the Steelers are resigning Avery Williamson. Not much for FA LBers. Ragland maybe. He's coming off a 1 year prove it and has been good for Detroit. I'd draft Parsons too I think.

Wonder if AZ resigns Reddick.

Hooker would be good. I want a vet to at least compete with Shaze. I wouldn’t spend a lot on FS. The position has gotten devalued in FA in recent years. We should be able to find a starter for 5/6m on a short term deal

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gooseneck said:

Man, I was coming to this thread to get information on Curl and am getting nothing. 

That's probably my fault for derailing the thread based on 2nd round pick production, which is how we got onto Sweat.  Oh, well.  

16 hours ago, gooseneck said:

I won't "Sweat" it though.  My question is do we need to go safety in the draft with one of our third round picks now, or are we okay,  How do people view our team needs now?

Different defenses are built differently, and they need "stars" at different positions. 

I think the Ron Rivera defense (as implemented by JDR) really puts a huge emphasis on the front 7, as they really expect the front 7 to control the run game, and as Ron says often, "stop the run on the way to the QB."  

Which means the secondary can be more "good" instead of "great."

To that end, I think the biggest need in the off-season on the defensive side of the ball is at LB.  Specifically ILB.  But really at all three positions.  

Could they survive again with some combination of Shaze, Curl, Collins (if healthy) at safety and Fuller, Darby, Moreau and Morland on the outside?  Yeah, probably, assuming they get better at LB, and Matty I. coming back with pressure in the middle would also help.  

That said, I think they're going to try and add to that group both through FA and through the draft, but I don't think it's going to be high picks or big name FAs.  

I think the real question mark is going to be Collins.  Will he be healthy, and/or can they get out of his contract in any way.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I was so pissed we didn't take a late round flier on Collins. 

He threatened to sit out if he got drafted. I would’ve called the bluff. A lot of teams were also scared off by potential PR blowback as well

3 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Didn't Collins end up better financially as an UDFA because he wasn't subject to rules regarding paying draftees?

He got to FA a year sooner but was capped at a $10K signing bonus

17 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Yeah, I remember this update. 

Hard for me to trust the update tbh. Teams do their own tests, especially on top prospects at the draft, and he still fell. He was likely flagged by other teams doctor's too. 

Again, water under the bridge, but I generally feel teams over-weigh some of the medical stuff. Look at the next 5-7 years. 

But then I remember Malcolm Kelly...

• Like 1