Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Saahdiq Charles, OT LSU

zCommander

Round 4: No. 108 overall — Saahdiq Charles, OT, LSU

Scout 1: “We had a good grade on him and he went about where he thought. We just had a lot of (off-the-field) concerns for him. The talent is there if he can get everything else together.”

Scout 2: “I don’t know his story because I didn’t scout him at LSU, but I think that guy is a real talent. You probably know more about the behind the scenes than I do, but based on just the player’s ability, he’s definitely a starter. That’s a good pick. That’s a great value. I mean, this guy’s really talented. I think he’s a left tackle. Could probably play inside. He’s very athletic, can move laterally really well. He can bend. He’s got the athletic and physical traits to be good to very good at his position. We weren’t really looking for offensive linemen early, but he had second-round value.”

Scout 3: “Saahdiq is really, really talented, but he’s got to keep that head on straight. Stay focused on the task at hand and the day to day. The issues are more life skills related. He’s been a good worker when it comes to football. Talented dude. Guy could play guard at some point if the left tackle didn’t work. Saahdiq coming out is probably a cleaner left tackle than (2018 third-round pick) Geron Christian, but I think he has more upside at guard.”

Scout 4: “Great pick, great value. That’s around where we had him. He’s talented. Can move. Great feet. Can play guard or tackle. Playing left tackle would be a tough deal for him right now.”

Source 1: “He’s left tackle capable. There’s no question about that, but you have to look at the talent vs. the character. Now, what are you really getting? He’s messed up somewhat. The one thing you learn from your lessons is that the past often repeats itself.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Round 4: No. 108 overall — Saahdiq Charles, OT, LSU

Scout 1: “We had a good grade on him and he went about where he thought. We just had a lot of (off-the-field) concerns for him. The talent is there if he can get everything else together.”

Scout 2: “I don’t know his story because I didn’t scout him at LSU, but I think that guy is a real talent. You probably know more about the behind the scenes than I do, but based on just the player’s ability, he’s definitely a starter. That’s a good pick. That’s a great value. I mean, this guy’s really talented. I think he’s a left tackle. Could probably play inside. He’s very athletic, can move laterally really well. He can bend. He’s got the athletic and physical traits to be good to very good at his position. We weren’t really looking for offensive linemen early, but he had second-round value.”

Scout 3: “Saahdiq is really, really talented, but he’s got to keep that head on straight. Stay focused on the task at hand and the day to day. The issues are more life skills related. He’s been a good worker when it comes to football. Talented dude. Guy could play guard at some point if the left tackle didn’t work. Saahdiq coming out is probably a cleaner left tackle than (2018 third-round pick) Geron Christian, but I think he has more upside at guard.”

Scout 4: “Great pick, great value. That’s around where we had him. He’s talented. Can move. Great feet. Can play guard or tackle. Playing left tackle would be a tough deal for him right now.”

Source 1: “He’s left tackle capable. There’s no question about that, but you have to look at the talent vs. the character. Now, what are you really getting? He’s messed up somewhat. The one thing you learn from your lessons is that the past often repeats itself.”

This is interesting.  - I hope you are going to post the write-up for each of picks from this article in their respective welcome threads. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, nonniey said:

This is interesting.  - I hope you are going to post the write-up for each of picks from this article in their respective welcome threads. 

Did it for the first 4 picks, as well as Moss.  Don't want to completely copy and paste every word from the article though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I like the log jam on the offensive line. I think they'll figure it out. I'm actually thinking Saahdiq might be in play at left guard with Lucas starting at left tackle. Lucas is a man child that seems to be the second coming of Ty Nsekhe (without the injuries). I'd definitely look at that experiment. Although you could always have Saahdiq as your swing tackle and see what you got in Wes Schweitzer at the left guard position.  Kyle and Ron seem to have done a pretty good job of obtaining lineman with the ability to play multiple positions. So we'll see what combination has the best impact. But for me, I like the idea of converting a tackle to a guard. Particularly a blind side tackle that would understand intimately about what Lucas is doing and can compliment it in both the run and pass game.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Are we sleeping on Wes Martin at LG? I thought he did pretty well last year?

He looked OK at times but his PFF grades ranged from awful to mediocre. Obviously PFF isn't the end-all-be-all but they do have a decent system for grading OL.

Last season, in 290 snaps, Martin had these grades from them:

Overall: 51.6

Pass Blocking: 37.0 (YIKES)

Run Blocking: 56.8

Obviously he was a mid-round rookie with limited snaps so that definitely has to be taken into account. But man, that pass pro grade is ugly. 

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

He looked OK at times but his PFF grades ranged from awful to mediocre. Obviously PFF isn't the end-all-be-all but they do have a decent system for grading OL.

Last season, in 290 snaps, Martin had these grades from them:

Overall: 51.6

Pass Blocking: 37.0 (YIKES)

Run Blocking: 56.8

Obviously he was a mid-round rookie with limited snaps so that definitely has to be taken into account. But man, that pass pro grade is ugly. 

For some reason, I thought he was on-par with Flowers...

51 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

For some reason, I thought he was on-par with Flowers...

Flowers was definitely better than him, though mostly in one area: pass pro. PFF had Flowers graded as a 69.0 in pass pro, which is pretty good and almost double what Martin's grade was. Run blocking he was a bit better than Martin but not by all that much...60.1 run blocking grade.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Flowers was definitely better than him, though mostly in one area: pass pro. PFF had Flowers graded as a 69.0 in pass pro, which is pretty good and almost double what Martin's grade was. Run blocking he was a bit better than Martin but not by all that much...60.1 run blocking grade.

Well it was Martin's rookie year and he likely had a better rookie year than Flowers rookie year.  Not saying he will pan out but generally it's not a good idea to give up on a player that quickly.

Edited by nonniey
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, joeken24 said:

I like the log jam on the offensive line. I think they'll figure it out. I'm actually thinking Saahdiq might be in play at left guard with Lucas starting at left tackle. Lucas is a man child that seems to be the second coming of Ty Nsekhe (without the injuries). I'd definitely look at that experiment. Although you could always have Saahdiq as your swing tackle and see what you got in Wes Schweitzer at the left guard position.  Kyle and Ron seem to have done a pretty good job of obtaining lineman with the ability to play multiple positions. So we'll see what combination has the best impact. But for me, I like the idea of converting a tackle to a guard. Particularly a blind side tackle that would understand intimately about what Lucas is doing and can compliment it in both the run and pass game.

Agreed. I've always favored a "best player available" approach to the draft and I feel like he fits in to that category. Is he a guard or a tackle? Do we already have enough lineman? We will figure it out. Draft guys who are a value and figure out how to grow them and fit them in. With a couple exceptions (like the QB position), I don't like trying to draft guys to fill specific holes because you end up reaching and over time, those "reaches" add up to less overall talent. I like this pick.

Edited by Stadium-Armory

7 hours ago, joeken24 said:

I'm actually thinking Saahdiq might be in play at left guard with Lucas starting at left tackle. Lucas is a man child that seems to be the second coming of Ty Nsekhe (without the injuries). I'd definitely look at that experiment. 

This is my view as well. Assuming no other tackles are brought in, that’s my starting combination on the left. 

38 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Well it was Martin's rookie year and he likely had a better rookie year than Flowers rookie year.  Not saying he will pan out but generally it's not a good idea to give up on a player that quickly.

Oh absolutely, which is why I tried to qualify that when posting Martin's grades earlier. He also only had 290 snaps, which isn't a bunch for an OL guy. Qualitatively from watching him I saw some flashes of nice play but he was very inconsistent, which is to be expected from a rookie. His run blocking grade was actually not too bad for a mid round rookie. But his pass pro grade was awful and IIRC that's where I saw the most inconsistency from him. I certainly wouldn't give up on him; I'd like to see how well he's improved this season.

Not seeing Charles at LG.

And so many reasons why. Big reasons.

We just drafted a stud LT, at a position of huge need. Why move him to another position, before you get a chance to take advantage of his coveted, talented LT skills ?

We have signed about 15 Guards, so there's bound to be at least one of those guys who pans out at starting LG.

Why have a rookie immediately play a new position, when he's already considered a gem, at the biggest position of need, which is also the most important position on the OLine ? He's got enough of a challenge adjusting from college LT to pro LT, it's just a bigger jump to move him to pro LG in his rookie year.

Also heard it said that he's more built for Guard. But that does not appear to be the case. He has an excellent build and arms for Tackle, and all the scouts and coaches say so.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

7 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Thanks bud. Thought I was taking crazy pills for a second, lol. Didnt recall us drafting a Lucas.

He seems like a JAG type honestly. At least unlike under Bruce, we're paying JAGs as what they are.