Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS RE-SIGN LB JON BOSTIC

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

March 22, 2020

REDSKINS RE-SIGN LB JON BOSTIC

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have re-signed linebacker Jon Bostic. Full terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Bostic, (6-1, 245), a six-year NFL veteran, entered the league after being selected in the second round (18th pick, 50th overall) of the 2013 NFL Draft by the Chicago Bears. Bostic has appeared in 86 games and has started in 62 of those contests. He has recorded 415 tackles (260 solo), 6.5 sacks, two interceptions, 12 passes defensed and two fumble recoveries in his career.

Last season, Bostic started all 16 games in which he appeared. He tallied a career-high 105 total tackles (56 solo), leading his position group and finishing second on the team behind safety Landon Collins. He also had one sack, one interception, two passes defensed and three tackles for loss.

Bostic played collegiately at Florida and appeared in 51 games with 32 starts.

Bostic, 28, attended Palm Beach Central H.S. in Wellington, Fla. where he received all-state honors and was selected to the U.S. Army All-American Bowl team. He was born May 5, 1991.

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, petey hodge said:

So did Bostic just make one bad play... or does he have a history of being a "dirty" player?

Discuss (because, i dont know the answer)

He doesn't have a history as far as I know. Looked like he did what a lot of players do: make a bad decision in a split second. I don't think he was trying to be dirty or to hurt anyone. Has never seemed like that kind of player here. 

It was an ugly play for sure, and he deserves whatever fine he gets from the league... BUT, he's helping to set the tone against our arch-rival... I agree that based on past history it doesn't appear that he has ever been the kind of player to take dirty shots (like, for instance our own Brandon Merriweather)... all that being said I don't mind him making an agressive play against our most hated rival's starting QB

9 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

Man.. he got ripped by the pre-game guys on NBC for being a dirty player, yada-yada...  When I see the replay it's not Clowney-bad... is it?

in the 1970's it's a no-call....he's not a dirty player, he's trying to stay relevant and make a play. This stuff happens in football. 

They might as well make the QB slide illegal.

Because if not, one of 2 things will happen.

Either defensive players will play scared whenever a QB is running toward them,

and/or these inevitable hits will continue to happen.

I mean, if a QB is going to slide and therefore drop his head down to the level where the defender was going to hit him, a millisecond earlier, what could possibly go wrong with that ?

The game happens too fast to expect defenders to slam the breaks in mid-air.

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

I mean, if a QB is going to slide and therefore drop his head down to the level where the defender was going to hit him, a millisecond earlier, what could possibly go wrong with that ?

that's the way I feel

14 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yeah I agree, QBs are trying to have their cake and eat it too. A QB has to either gain the yards and take the shot standing up or concede the yards and to save their bodies by sliding before a defender has committed to the tackle. They can’t have both.

They need to make an “dangerous slide” rule that makes sliding while a defender has committed to the tackle a penalty

2 minutes ago, RansomthePasserby said:

Yeah I agree, QBs are trying to have their cake and eat it too. A QB has to either gain the yards and take the shot standing up or concede the yards and to save their bodies by sliding before a defender has committed to the tackle. They can’t have both.

They need to make an “dangerous slide” rule that makes sliding while a defender has committed to the tackle a penalty

One rule that seems reasonable is to not allow defenders to launch/leave their feet to tackle a QB. QB's can only be grabbed while they are running and not launched upon. Launching at runners and receivers is the biggest problem in my opinion for both offensive and defensive players. There is no reason in the world why Bostic would need to launch himself at a 35 year old QB like Andy Dalton. I think launching by defenders should be a penalty when it happens on defenseless receivers and on QB's. Go back in the day and watch how guys tackled...wrap up and take em down. 

So...after watching this hit from multiple angles and in slow motion, I don't feel this hit by any means intentional. If you watch, he was already in the process of going low for the hit when Dalton started to slide. This was just an unfortunate coincidence, and can be chalked up to an aggressive player trying to stop a running player ( because once he is in front of the LOS, a QB is a RB).

So, unintentional dirty play from a historically non dirty player.

But thats just my opinion...maybe I'm seeing things differently..

1 hour ago, RansomthePasserby said:

Yeah I agree, QBs are trying to have their cake and eat it too.

I saw a perfect example of this in a KC game.

Mahomes was apparently intent on running out of bounds, by all appearances.

The defender, concerned he might have an unintentional, incidental hit on him as he ran out, slowed down and avoided contact, in order to avoid a huge penalty, expecting Mahomes to run out.

But what does Mahomes do ?

He makes a U-turn right at the boundary, runs back towards mid-field, away from the defender, and just got some more free yards AND a First Down that he otherwise would not have gotten, all because defenders have to play scared now.

So, now you've literally got QB's pretending to run out of bounds, to take advantage of the rule.

So, what's to stop QB's from pretending to slide, so the defender will back off, and then gather himself into running position, and take off for more yards ?

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I saw a perfect example of this in a KC game.

Mahomes was apparently intent on running out of bounds, by all appearances.

The defender, concerned he might have an unintentional, incidental hit on him as he ran out, slowed down and avoided contact, in order to avoid a huge penalty, expecting Mahomes to run out.

But what does Mahomes do ?

He makes a U-turn right at the boundary, runs back towards mid-field, away from the defender, and just got some more free yards AND a First Down that he otherwise would not have gotten, all because defenders have to play scared now.

So, now you've literally got QB's pretending to run out of bounds, to take advantage of the rule.

So, what's to stop QB's from pretending to slide, so the defender will back off, and then gather himself into running position, and take off for more yards ?

You don’t have to hit him to make sure he he goes out of bounds...

19 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

You don’t have to hit him to make sure he he goes out of bounds...

I agree.

But most of the time, players are so full of adrenaline, it's either all or nothing.

Ideally, a player should have the self-control, to do just enough to end the play in those delicate situations.

So, it IS possible. It just takes discipline.

But I still believe, that the way they call many of these penalties, that at least some of those "illegal hits" are unavoidable.

It's like asking a player to go from 60mph to Zero, in a fraction of a second. Again, not all the time. It's very situational.

Archived