Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS PLACE FRANCHISE TAG ON BRANDON SCHERFF

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

March 14, 2020

REDSKINS PLACE FRANCHISE TAG ON BRANDON SCHERFF

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have placed thenon-exclusive franchise tag on guard Brandon Scherff.

Last season, Scherff played and started in 11 games while only giving up one and a half sacks and was named to the Pro Bowl.

Scherff is entering his sixth NFL season after originally being selected by the Redskins in the first round (5th overall) of the 2015 NFL Draft. For his career, Scherff has appeared in 65 regular season games with 65 starts. Scherff has earned Pro Bowl selections three times in his career in 2016, 2017 and 2019. In 2015, he was named a PFWA All-Rookie performer.

Scherff, 28, played collegiately at Iowa from 2011-14, where he received the Outland Trophy, which is awarded annually to the nation’s most outstanding interior lineman. He also earned unanimous consensus All-American honors and was named first-team All-Big Ten for the second consecutive season. Also won the Rimington-Pace Offensive Lineman of the Year award in the Big Ten Conference. Scherff was born on Dec. 26, 1991, and attended Denison High School in Denison, Iowa.

🎶I tagged the Scherff but I did not get the deputy🎶

I like the move.  I want to put the best oline in front of DH to see what we have in him.  2020 is a huge year for the direction of the franchise, so let's protect him as best we can and get him some weapons to work with.  However, if our staff feels like Martin can do the job and they decide to move scherff for a decent pick, I'd be ok with that too.  It would have been foolish to not tag him in an offseason where we are expecting to be big spenders, bc we wouldn't have gotten a comp pick for him if we got outbid.

It's also a sign the Redskins didn't cave in to his demands just to get an extension done.  Hopefully they can still work something out that doesn't have outrageous cap figures.

13 minutes ago, Tarpon75 said:

Don’t know if that’s a good move or not, don’t really think he is worth the money that the Tag is bringing right now.

Franchise tags are going to be relative bargains when you see what free agents are signing for this offseason. It's going to be ridiculous.

Frustrated that they couldn't work this out. I wonder if this is a remnant of a lot of bad blood from the Bruce days or a sense of entitlement from Club Jay. Scherrf can be very good, but it feels like he's had two "off" years in a row. Now, I don't know if that's about him, his linemates or a false impression, but he definitely wasn't great last year.

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

Sooooo.. okay folks what does this mean?break it down for me.. don't send me a link or whatever just talk to me like I'm a 5th Grader.

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Wait....you’re not a 5th grader? 😮

They grow up so fast.

I get home and got a ticket on the truck for parking to close to a fire hydrant.same one I've been parking in front of for several years.. I get out of the truck foot slips on the edge of the grass and the sidewalk phone flies out of my pocket lands smack dab straight down on a rock, brand new phone...****in screen protector shadered..and I'm told quit sniffing glue ya 5th grader...well realllly ****ing great..I haven't drank any alcohol since the super bowl...I might just head to the liquor store.

2 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Sooooo.. okay folks what does this mean?break it down for me.. don't send me a link or whatever just talk to me like I'm a 5th Grader.

The pic below shows the definition. Beyond that it means Brandon can negotiate with other teams. Then the Redskins can match. If they do not then the Redskins get 2 1sts. However, what is more likely to happen if they do not sign him long term is that the team would sign and trade him for lower compensation. No one is giving up 2 1sts for a Guard. 

They have until I believe it's sometime in early July before the tag contract is fully guaranteed. 

image.thumb.png.64a0ed2a2ba77f616b7ca27f5b8b7559.png

8 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

I like the move.  I want to put the best oline in front of DH to see what we have in him.  2020 is a huge year for the direction of the franchise, so let's protect him as best we can and get him some weapons to work with.  However, if our staff feels like Martin can do the job and they decide to move scherff for a decent pick, I'd be ok with that too.  It would have been foolish to not tag him in an offseason where we are expecting to be big spenders, bc we wouldn't have gotten a comp pick for him if we got outbid.

It's also a sign the Redskins didn't cave in to his demands just to get an extension done.  Hopefully they can still work something out that doesn't have outrageous cap figures.

Franchise tags are going to be relative bargains when you see what free agents are signing for this offseason. It's going to be ridiculous.

Ridiculous or not, I don’t think he’s a top five guard in the league personally.Don’t get me wrong,I do like him. But there seems to be constant injury concerns the last couple of years and he is penalised too much. Just saying if it were my decision I would have a hard time paying him that kind of money. I think it would take my chance with Martin on a rookie  deal. Currently we do not know if this Labor agreement is going to happen now or not. If it does not happen that figure is huge to pay a guard who hasn’t shown he can play a full  season recently. Now if the tag is being used while  they try to hammer out a long-term agreement on a more cap friendly deal  it  makes a lot more sense.

Last year is a hard year to judge so many of our players. For the vets, I don't think their hearts or heads were in the games. They saw the writing on the wall and were running out the clock. That said, I agree that Scherrf didn't have a franchise year last year. I thought while he was rated well (by PFF) in 2018 he didn't seem dominant then either. Question is, can we get his play back up to speed? Can he stay healthy? He's really good when he wants to be. I'm just not sure how good he has wanted to be in recent years.

Archived