Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on Greg Olsen potentially signing here? (M.E.T.)

bakedtater1

1 hour ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Thought we were in a rebuilding mode. Why do we want a guy who might win us one or two more games putting us out of top 5 draft choices like in the last 5 years. Go with the young guys. First time in years I am looking forward to the draft.

Need production at TE - could get lucky on day 3, but you can't bank on it. 

Without a second round pick, it puts them in a tough spot for day 2. Ideally that would be where you'd look for a corner or tight end, two positions that need to be upgraded, and typically where high end talent can be had. 

6 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Thought we were in a rebuilding mode. Why do we want a guy who might win us one or two more games putting us out of top 5 draft choices like in the last 5 years. Go with the young guys. First time in years I am looking forward to the draft.

I'm in the show me first crowd buuuut I almost feel comfortable enough to say with this new regime that game or two could go far.

13 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Ron needs some of his stalwarts in the locker room to turn the culture over quickly. That is part of rebuilding, even if he is here for only a year or two

8 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

I'm in the show me first crowd buuuut I almost feel comfortable enough to say with this new regime that game or two could go far.

Ya that game or two gets you out of the top 5 draft choices. I am not saying Olson is a bum but we have seen it a hundred times before. Jason Taylor, Albert Hanesworth, D Sanders, Arch and on and on. Most of those guys just want a big check without performing for a few years before they retire and this was the place to get it. You want to change the culture then stay away from those type of players and get young hungry guys.

38 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Ya that game or two gets you out of the top 5 draft choices. I am not saying Olson is a bum but we have seen it a hundred times before. Jason Taylor, Albert Hanesworth, D Sanders, Arch and on and on. Most of those guys just want a big check without performing for a few years before they retire and this was the place to get it. You want to change the culture then stay away from those type of players and get young hungry guys.

Your post is a little all over the place. Adam Archuleta, Deion Sanders, Albert Haynesworth, and Jason Taylor all seemed to be fairly different players who came to the Redskins for a variety of different reasons. Yes, all of them got paid decent coin to play here. And yes, they all failed in DC for one reason or another. But the only guy who seems to illustrate your point of "performing for a few years before they retire" is Haynesworth. He clearly took a big paycheck and put in less effort. Archuleta is/was a "young hungry guy" that simply wasn't that good. Sanders was a far bigger name guy who's name exceeded his actual performance due to age/injury. And Taylor wasn't even a free agent, but a guy the team seemed to panic trade for and then stick in a an ill fitting system for a year. Taylor was actually fine the few years he had post-Washington.

Greg Olsen won't be an expensive free agent, so comparing him to any of those previous guys seems a bit misguided. I also have doubts Olsen is really good enough at this point to win "one or two more games" by himself. The best comparison, which others have made, is signing Vernon Davis a few years back. Big name player that's no longer a big name performer, but competent enough to be useful. I guess in that regard, he's closest to Dion Sanders in your example, but far cheaper than Deion was.

15 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

I don't know that we are in as great of a rebuilding mode as you think. I really think coaching and misuse of players stole us a whole lot of wins/production last year. I've never seen a defense as confused and sloppy. That will likely be remedied. If we can just get the D straightened out and not even play to its potential, but play solid, that unit jumps from worst in the league to at least top third. On offense, I think we have intriguing pieces with Terry and Simms. QB and the line are question marks. We have runners, but they are old or fragile. Still, with better coaching this team is probably at least a 7 win team and with some luck could sniff the playoffs this year.

Personally I am not even looking at playoffs this year, that's just not the measure I'd use.

Competent, well coached team on the field every week, performing for 60 minutes? That's one

Better than 50/50 in division games? That's another

Seeing some of the young talent on the roster playing up to their capability?

Zero horse**** media sniping or leaks?

Laying a foundation so the rooks have an upbeat lockerroom to grow in?

Defining "win now" strictly on the W/L record is kinda short sighted.

But I WILL be anticipating a lot more in Ron's second year.

2 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Build through the draft and have young guys I completely get it but you do understand our new coach is more 75/25 right?...with davis retiring and reed needing to do the same I think the skins go home run on tight end(bpa)and corner in free agency... then maybe draft one in the mid-to-late rounds... hopefully hentges comes around

16 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

We have no 2nd round pick and could use a few starters.  TE isn't deep in this draft (so I hear).  Likely case is we go Chase Young at #2 (if not, I'd still wager defense).  We have questions on the O-line depending on who comes back.

Greg Olsen is older, but he knows how to play and is a great option for a young QB.  Part of younger guys developing is putting them in position to succeed.  If a few mill contract to Olsen can bridge the gap and support Haskins development, I think it's fine.  We can't draft every replacement and don't need every player to be developing.  Haskins need more players that get open and give him opportunities.  McClaurin is one, Sims maybe another.  If the draft isn't a strong place to get TE support, than FA.  Hooper would be nice, but would this really be his first pick of location without overpaying?

Other guys mentioned as similar (Haynesworth, Deion, Smith) signed for big money.  Vernon Davis signed for much cheaper, although admittedly more than I expected.  When Reed went down he helped maintain offense for the TE group.  I'm not going to scream and shout to sign him, but I hardly see this as a move to defy a rebuild. 

2 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

No dude those days are frickin over....let it goooo let it gooooo cant hold back any mooooore..seriously man...Ron's not the type of guy to let that happen 

1. News

Report: Greg Olsen Expected to Visit Seahawks on Wednesday

CorbinSmithNFL

After visiting with the Bills last week, Greg Olsen will continue his free agent tour with the Redskins and Seahawks this week.

Per NFL Network insider Ian Rapoport, the veteran tight end will meet with Washington's brass through Monday before traveling to Seattle on Wednesday. He's expected to make a decision on his next team by the end of the week.

Free agent TE Greg Olsen has a #Redskins visit through today, source said. He arrived yesterday. His #Seahawks visit is Wednesday, and then Olsen expects a decision by the end of the week. Olsen, who was in the booth for an XFL game yesterday, has also spent time with the #Bills.

Olsen, who will turn 35 in March, enjoyed a nice bounce back season in 2019, catching 52 passes for 597 yards and two touchdowns. In his 13-year NFL career, he has caught 718 passes for 8,444 yards and 59 touchdowns while being selected to three Pro Bowls.

Despite his advancing age, signing Olsen makes sense for the Seahawks on numerous fronts. With Will Dissly coming back from a torn Achilles tendon and only two other tight ends currently under contract, the team could use a talented veteran presence at the position and he shouldn't be as expensive as younger free agent alternatives.

While his recent history of foot problems that cost him 16 games in 2017 and 2018 presents a red flag for any interested team, Olsen showed last year he still has plenty left to give as a receiver playing with backup quarterbacks. He also would be an excellent addition in the locker room after serving as a team captain for several years in Carolina.

Prior ties to coaches Ron Rivera and Sean McDermott may make the Bills and Redskins the favorite to sign Olsen, but neither team has a quarterback close to the caliber of Russell Wilson. If he's most concerned about contending for a title in the twilight of his career, the Seahawks would be his best option on a one-year deal.

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/greg-olsen-expected-to-visit-seahawks-on-wednesday

It'd be nice if we signed him before he left for Seattle.  Such a long ways away from his home on the East coast.  Hopefully, we ink a deal with him sometime today but Bills fans were hoping that a few days ago too.  Shall see.

37 minutes ago, RWJ said:

It'd be nice if we signed him before he left for Seattle.  Such a long ways away from his home on the East coast.  Hopefully, we ink a deal with him sometime today but Bills fans were hoping that a few days ago too.  Shall see.

Rivera need to pull a Bruce on him and convince Olsen we are close :806:

45 minutes ago, RWJ said:

This isn't a pay more to keep him here type guy.  I agree he'd be a good fit for where we are, but I Olsen has to decide what he wants at this age. 

Seattle is a better win now option for an older player.  Skins can offer coaching/system familiarity and a closer to home/family option.  To me they are so different, I'd think Olsen will want to go through the visits and then decide. 

The Redskins are actually a comfort play for both the 'skins and Olsen.  Olsen because he knows he fits the system. The Redskins because Rivera will have an on field mentor to show the players how Rivera likes it done.

He's a good transition player to help ease the way, but not a break the bank player.

8 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Ya that game or two gets you out of the top 5 draft choices. I am not saying Olson is a bum but we have seen it a hundred times before. Jason Taylor, Albert Hanesworth, Arch and on and on. Most of those guys just want a big check without performing for a few years before they retire and this was the place to get it. You want to change the culture then stay away from those type of players and get young hungry guys.

Those were overpriced splash moves. 

This is a new coach and OC, trying to bring the most knowledgeable and favorite player in to help. It's not something we've seen before.

Well, I guess Spurrier brought a lot of former players in, but ignore that :ols: 

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Old friend or shot at a SB.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Those were overpriced splash moves. 

This is a new coach and OC, trying to bring the most knowledgeable and favorite player in to help. It's not something we've seen before.

I'd add that Olsen also known as a rock star type of character, one of the more known leaders and classier guys in the league.  I don't think a dude like that has it in him not to go 100 miles an hour, etc. 

54 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd add that Olsen also known as a rock star type of character, one of the more known leaders and classier guys in the league.  I don't think a dude like that has it in him not to go 100 miles an hour, etc. 

Oh yeah, he's "a football player" alright. He also seems like Riveras favorite player or even great friend. Getting a guy like that who walks into the lockerroom with such a head of steam? Yes please.

Thanks for editing out the last sentence.  :ols: 

54 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Oh yeah, he's "a football player" alright. He also seems like Riveras favorite player or even great friend. Getting a guy like that who walks into the lockerroom with such a head of steam? Yes please.

Thanks for editing out the last sentence.  :ols: 

Coach on the field and great addition for Haskins....Olsen is exactly the kind of player we need at a position where older guys can still make a difference. This is a no-brainer signing if he is healthy....we can still add another impact TE in free agency/trade. Git er dun.

Archived