Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on Greg Olsen potentially signing here? (M.E.T.)

bakedtater1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

With the RB and TE issues we've had the last several years, finding a roster spot is the least of our concern.  :ols:

I respectfully disconcur. With the RB and TE issues we;ve had the last several years, finding a roster spot is an even greater concern. You bringing back AP to hold down the fort? Giving up on Guice? Plan on hoping on the unknown of Bryce Love or are you planning on throwing that pick and potential away. Is CT going to be resigned to be our 3rd down back? We already have our fair share of unknowns and health risks occupying our roster.  You want to add another? No laughing emoji necessary

1 minute ago, bowhunter said:

I respectfully disconcur. With the RB and TE issues we;ve had the last several years, finding a roster spot is an even greater concern. You bringing back AP to hold down the fort? Giving up on Guice? Plan on hoping on the unknown of Bryce Love or are you planning on throwing that pick and potential away. Is CT going to be resigned to be our 3rd down back? We already have our fair share of unknowns and health risks occupying our roster.  You want to add another? No laughing emoji necessary

Yeah, that was the joke dude. We have had tons of open space that we couldn't fill in. 

But **** it. If Olsen is signed and is too injured to play and we lose a roster spot at TE because of it, oh well. We already have Sprinkle who's not great but has been our starter all year and Hentges who may be the future.

Yes, Guise and Love can not be counted on at all and RB is an issue, but I don't know if a FB can ever push either of them off the roster if they're beginning the year healthy.

No, CT will be gone. There are Rumors of us going after Gordon which I dont like, but wouldn't hate. Especially if he replaced AP.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Beats not having one.

*neither of us want that to happen, but we hardly have a RB on the roster.

This is gonna be a learning year in 20-21. We’ll see if Love or Guice can stay or be healthy and take the reins. We’ll see if Haskins is capable of being a #1 QB etc. this isn’t the time to make a huge flashy signing at a position that can easily be filled for much less. It’s also much easier to find a quality back later in the draft than any other position. Just look at the guy that basically stole Gordon’s job in LA.

12 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

This is gonna be a learning year in 20-21. We’ll see if Love or Guice can stay or be healthy and take the reins. We’ll see if Haskins is capable of being a #1 QB etc. this isn’t the time to make a huge flashy signing at a position that can easily be filled for much less. It’s also much easier to find a quality back later in the draft than any other position. Just look at the guy that basically stole Gordon’s job in LA.

We'll be very competitive this year and should take the division, but that's not happening without a back. We've got the money and our offense has so many skill players on rookie deals, it's fine. 

On 2/2/2020 at 12:06 PM, Rufus T Firefly said:

Really? He didn't sign an older, retread coach and give him apparent full control over the personnel department? Because my immediate assumption when that happened is what we would get would not be the smart completion of a minor rebuild but a "win now" bid for mediocrity, of the sort that would be typified by signing Greg Olsen types and trying to get Trent Williams to stick around for the overpaid decline phase of his career. 

Hmmm - you do realize that the guy who just won the SB falls into that category - rt?  This also pretty much applied to Pete Carroll when he won the SB.  Belichick was a tad bit younger when he won his 1st SB but he pretty much also fits the bill.  I just love how you label these type of guys retreads when they are some of the best coaches in the NFL. IMO a retread would be more like a Norv Turner & some others who kept getting head coaching jobs & never truly found success.  I think Rivera is closer to the 1st type of coach then in the Turner mold.

59 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We'll be very competitive this year and should take the division, but that's not happening without a back. We've got the money and our offense has so many skill players on rookie deals, it's fine. 

I have no idea why you think this. Any of this.

How many skill players do we have, really? 

19 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I have no idea why you think this. Any of this.

How many skill players do we have, really? 

Yep - no doubt WR is dramatically improved since last season, but it is by no means a finished product - could use a little help.  RB is a question more for many reasons - could be halfway decent or bad - we'll see.  A lot of this doesn't matter if the QB play is subpar.  I am hopeful that Haskins will be much improved, but nobody really knows how that will unfold.  Similar questions exist on the OL & TE needs help (which they could find to a degree via the draft & free agency).

All in all certainly no guarantee of a division title or anything close (Redskins fans should not better than making any claims like this).  All we have at this time is much more hope than we had during most of last season.  I will take at this time, but I am certainly not going to make bold predictions at this time.

8 minutes ago, dicksogj said:

Yep - no doubt WR is dramatically improved since last season, but it is by no means a finished product - could use a little help.  RB is a question more for many reasons - could be halfway decent or bad - we'll see.  A lot of this doesn't matter if the QB play is subpar.  I am hopeful that Haskins will be much improved, but nobody really knows how that will unfold.  Similar questions exist on the OL & TE needs help (which they could find to a degree via the draft & free agency).

All in all certainly no guarantee of a division title or anything close (Redskins fans should not better than making any claims like this).  All we have at this time is much more hope than we had during most of last season.  I will take at this time, but I am certainly not going to make bold predictions at this time.

Exactly. There's potential, but every team has potential. The NFC East isn't a strong division but all four teams vastly underperformed IMO. Eagles got hit bad by the injury bug, especially at WR, Dallas played way below their capabilities and I honestly think Garrett was the main reason and the Giants are like us - an up and coming team with some nice building blocks (Jones, Barkley, Engram, Slayton on O, Lawrence, Ximines, Peppers on D). I've learned to keep my expectations grounded.

So he'll be 36, probably need more than $5M/season to play and he's been injured both of the last two seasons. 

For TE there are a lot of better options out there. Personally I like the idea of drafting someone in the 4th round or later and maybe picking up someone that can give you a few quality starts. 

4 minutes ago, Unbias said:

So he'll be 36, probably need more than $5M/season to play and he's been injured both of the last two seasons. 

For TE there are a lot of better options out there. Personally I like the idea of drafting someone in the 4th round or later and maybe picking up someone that can give you a few quality starts. 

Was thinking Darren Fells + rookie TE might be a decent stopgap if Olsen demands too much/retires.

I would still rather sign Hooper to a big deal. TE is such an important position especially for a young QB as an outlet. I think you can find a long-term starter in the draft but they take 1-2 years to get up to speed (see Hooper, for example). But I think adding Hooper should be a priorit this off-season. Then go get a TE in the 5th to be a backup to groom long-term as your TE2.

Hooper + Thaddeus Moss in the 4th could be super interesting and would really change the dynamic of our offense instantly.

21 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Thanks for changing the title!!..I should have gone this route in the first place.

Now that bakedtater has oifficially learned the ES rules, we need a welcome thread for him...maybe start something like this...

"Welcome to the Redskins ES Forum, our newly graduated member from Rules Class, Baked Tater"

No, I don't know anything about him or his injury history but unless he is considered an iron man and indestructible, I'd say no to pretty much anyone at his age.  We need a fresh start and need to get this "injury history" behind us if possible (is it possible?).  I do think a few guys that know the offense Carolina would be beneficial though but would rather take a chance on younger guys like that.

Edit: I think the bottom-line is, since we're making a fresh start, I'd prefer a fresh start across the board.  Kerrigan is by far my favorite player and I hope he is back but I'd totally understand with wanting to do a reset.  In fact, I think we need to do a reset just like we did with the coaches.  No one gets a free pass, whether that is Kerrigan, Williams, Norman, etc.

With teams like NE and the Seahawks potentially interested, it’s going to take a wedge of cash to get Olsen to bite I think. Still think we could get him, however I’m going to take a guess that the contract he would lift will be pretty unpopular around these parts :ols:

10 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

With teams like NE and the Seahawks potentially interested, it’s going to take a wedge of cash to get Olsen to bite I think. Still think we could get him, however I’m going to take a guess that the contract he would lift will be pretty unpopular around these parts :ols:

I have a hard time seeing NE paying big for him. For the most part they tend to be pretty stingy with their FA signings. Giving big money to a 35 year old with recent injury issues doesn't seem like their style. 

I'd love to land Hooper but he's gonna command big bucks. 

I hate signing old players but we probably have the worst TE situation in the league so in this specific instance I would ok with a 1 year deal but please no big contracts or multi-year deals, he was durable for most of his career but his body is breaking down and it's not going to get better.

We need a young starting caliber TE who can actually stay healthy and its been so long since we've had that but we may need to focus on other positions this year so the 1 year deal lets us defer to next season.

Archived