Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread Vol 2---Read OP For Thread Rules

Jumbo

5 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Lol, I don't even know why I bother sometimes.  Just got done watching this sad story about this chick who escaped a religious death cult that her father was running.

Ended up as an actress in the real world (after she realized that God actually doesn't want her to slaughter little children after all) so I figured I'd try and track her down on Twitter and hit her up with a Follow ( because it was an incredibly riveting story of survival and determination... And because she's  kinda hot  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

so I track down what I think is her profile, and she's posting and retweeting **** nuttier than a bag of trail mix 🤕. Guess that murder cult life dies hard

You live in the vault, you die in the vault.

I thought it was you die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a villain? 

25 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The COVID boom is upon us.  Might scoop up some Pampers stock.

Actually, quite the opposite:

Baby bust: Pandemic takes toll on U.S. birth rate

Blizzards and long power outages are often said to trigger baby booms. Many believed that COVID-19 stay-at-home orders would do the same, but some researchers predict we might see the exact opposite.

The Brookings Institution estimates this year could see a dip from 2019 approaching 300,000 fewer births.

Shelby Parker of Ohio is the mother of a 2-year-old girl.  She and her husband ben had hoped to deliver little Abby a sister or brother fairly soon, but when the pandemic hit, it changed everything.

“It just felt irresponsible. To bring a kid into this world,” Parker says.

Eliana Dockterman recently wrote about the expected baby boom turned bust for Time magazine.

“I think that it just comes down to people are not able to afford, both in terms of money but also emotionally to plan to have kids right now,” Dockterman says.

Click on the link for the full article

And congrats @Renegade7.  I am old enough to remember when you came on this board as a teenager.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Somewhat better info than “Click2Houston”.

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/USA/united-states/birth-rate

Yes, if you look at the data there the birth rate is essentially flatlining at 12% for the past several years and is projected to continue downwards if you look at the graph.  An increase in birth rate of 0.09% is not a statistically significant change and in no way would be considered a baby boom.

But still, other sources such as state health departments are showing a decline:

Five U.S. states have provided monthly birth data through December -- Arizona, California, Florida, Hawaii and Ohio -- and their reports show large declines nine months after Covid-19 was declared a national emergency. More than 50,000 fewer births occurred in these states in 2020 compared with a year earlier.

Baby Bust

Five states with early 2020 data show births fell by more than 50,000

Sources: State health departments

If these state health departments have only provided birth data through December I wonder where the UN is getting their data especially 2021 data.  Perhaps those are only estimates.

Link