Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

I've seen some people latching on to Joe Rogan's Ivermectin pitch.  It's almost like people just skipped right over the 'kitchen sink' part of his statement, where he goes over all the things he took.  The first being - monoclonal antibodies.  Which from everything I've read, seems to be the most effective.  As to why this is not more readily available and all the particulars on it, I'm not sure.  But it seems to me that it should receive the credit for making people better, not Ivermectin.

11 hours ago, Larry said:

Dang.  

Part of me wants to deploy thousands of such dogs, to all sorts of public venues.  

Part of me reflects that I'm frankly not a fan of using drug dogs to search people as a way to generate an excuse to perform another search.  

In short, I can see arguments both ways.  

The math on drug-sniffing dogs isn't great anyway.

The Great Divide: Education, Despair and Death

Deaths of despair, morbidity and emotional distress continue to rise in the US. The increases are largely borne by those without a four-year college degree—the majority of American adults. For many less-educated Americans, the economy and society are no longer providing the basis for a good life. Concurrently, all-cause mortality in the US is diverging by education—falling for the college-educated and rising for those without a degree—something not seen in other rich countries. We review the rising prevalence of pain, despair, and suicide among Americans without a BA. Pain and despair created a baseline demand for opioids, but the escalation of addiction came from pharma and its political enablers. We examine “the politics of despair,” how less-educated people have abandoned and been abandoned by the Democratic Party. While healthier states once voted Republican in presidential elections, now the least-healthy states do. We review the evidence on whether or not deaths of despair have risen during the COVID pandemic. More broadly, excess mortality from COVID has not increased the ratio of all-cause mortality rates for those with and without a four-year degree, but has instead replicated the pre-existing mortality ratio.

Click on the link to download the pdf of the paper

Woman refusing mask at supermarket returns with men, assaults guard - police

In a statement, police said a woman had refused to wear a face covering and became aggressive, then left the store but she returned later with two men.

She then punched the guard, and the two men chased the guard with weapons, police said.

They said a woman, 26, had been arrested and charged with failing to wear a face covering, and a patched Black Power member - a man, 33 - was charged with assault with a weapon.

"Police will be conducting reassurance patrols at the supermarket today and to ensure there is support available for the victim in this matter," they said.

"Police have no tolerance for this behaviour, particularly towards essential workers going about their work who should not have to tolerate this kind of act."

Click on the link for the full article

ETSCNzHUEAIs9_7.jpg

When hospitals run out of beds, here's how they ration care

Hospitals across the United States have been facing a crisis.

As of Monday morning, more than 96,000 hospital beds are filled with Covid-19 patients nationwide -- contributing to the 77% of all hospital beds across the country being currently in use, according to data from the US Department of Health and Human Services. About 80% of intensive care unit beds are in use.

Hospitals in some places are closer to capacity than in others.

In Arkansas, Gov. Asa Hutchinson said in a briefing last week that there were only 23 ICU beds available statewide. "That's closer than we'd like, but it is better than what it has been. And so we continue to monitor that," Hutchinson said, adding that 27 new ICU beds will be coming online this month.

In Kentucky, Gov. Andy Beshear laid out the severity of the Covid-19 spread in his state on CNN last week, saying that while hospitals are not yet at the point of needing to make tough choices about rationing care, "we are right at" or "quickly approaching that point."

And In Alabama, a mourning family has issued a plea to others to get vaccinated after Ray DeMonia, a Cullman, Alabama resident, died about 200 miles from his home, in a Mississippi hospital, because there were no cardiac ICU beds nearby. 

21 States Have Higher Rates of COVID-19 Cases. These 21 States Also Have a Large Number of Trailer Homes

Turns out that people who live in states most likely to have sundown towns and high rates of meth addiction also have higher rates of COVID-19 cases because they don’t want no stupid face condoms interfering with their civil liberties.

According to the Washington Post, these states that overwhelmingly voted for former President Donald Trump also have higher rates of COVID-19 cases and deaths.

Turns out that some 23 states have “a total of new COVID-19 cases per capita that surpasses the national ratio...[and] 21 voted for Trump in November. Hawaii and Georgia are the only Biden-voting states to have more cases per capita than the country’s average,” Business Insider reports.

The study also found that of the 18 states that have death tolls higher than the national average, 14 of them voted for Trump. These 14 states also buy more Bud Light and NASCAR paraphernalia than any other states in the country.

Sounds like a former president politicized vaccinations and preventative measures against a ****ing virus.

The chain of correlation makes it “much harder to assert that politics is not playing a role,” The Washington Post’s noted.

34 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Only people in South Dakota but not surprising Republican voters think vitamins are more important than vaccines.

But they think "Avoid groups" is more important.  

Why do I feel like there's some kind of conflict with "South Dakota" and "Avoid groups"?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tshile said:

In my experience “avoid group” means:

everyone else should avoid doing things with large groups of people 

but me? Nah I’m good. Cause me and my circle of family/friends don’t have that covid thingy. 

Yep, and when I refer to my family/friends, I mean Sturgis is cool too. /s

Unreal that one would think washing hands would be the primary way to avoid an airborne virus.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Unreal that one would think washing hands would be the primary way to avoid an airborne virus.

given how hard they pushed washing your hands (all the media outlets I watched, cnn, msnbc, had segments on how to properly wash your hands. Like they either brought in a sink or went to one… on air)

I want to give this a pass. 

we way over estimate how tuned in most people are. 

like way, way over estimate. There’s a lot of people that watched this **** for like 2 weeks at the start and said “I’m moving on” and watched a clip here or there since but mostly just went about their life. 

which is why the political bickering is so damaging. Both parties, United around scientifically sound ways of combating the virus, would have had a hard time getting the message out to everyone and we would have still been saddened by the total loss (although it would pale compared to this, now.) doing it during those first few weeks when you have the most tuned in you ever will, is key. 

Honestly, as bad as the conspiracy and dip **** stuff has been, we’ve created a situation ripe for it to increase drastically. Everyone’s been conditioned to believe everything sucks, some group is ****ing it up, and there’s no point anymore. 

its really not hard to play on everyone’s bias at this point and craft narratives. Hell, we fall for **** time to time here too.  It’s gone from a small group of influencers, to anyone willing. 

The irony of course is there’s a grand conspiracy theory that all of this is by design. Which. The other side basically subscribes to. 

I know I do. 

although i’m definitely open to the idea it’s just a bunch of morons moving together which by default has to create some sort of ‘direction’, and, well, they are currently moving in this direction…

Edited by tshile

27 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Just mentioning that in the hospital I work, when I go into the room of a Covid positive patient, I wear a disposable gown.  

I don't know why.  Never seen anything that says it's spread by contact.  

But, I don't think they'd be having us do it, unless there was a study that said so.  

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

It is one way to avoid getting covid. If one coughs on hands then puts it on a surface and you touch the same surface and then touch your face then you will also get covid. The virus can live on surface for awhile so it is a good idea to wash one's hands. 

I have been doing this before the pandemic. After touching a users computer I would always wash my hands before touching my face. God knows what they might have coughed up on their laptops...lol

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Larry said:

Just mentioning that in the hospital I work, when I go into the room of a Covid positive patient, I wear a disposable gown.  

I don't know why.  Never seen anything that says it's spread by contact.  

But, I don't think they'd be having us do it, unless there was a study that said so.  

A bit over my skis here maybe, but it seems like if virus particles get on your clothes, they can still potentially be dislodged into the air, or transfer to your hands after touching your clothes.  Fomite (learned a new word!) transmission isn’t a major form of transmission, but a part of that appears to be about how much viral load is on whatever surface (including clothing).  So entering a room with a Covid positive patient probably means your clothes would have a pretty substantial viral load… hence the gown.  The virus doesn’t like porous surfaces especially, but it can survive for at least a bit of time.  I’m not gonna get into how long (based off what I’ve read), because I’m not comfortable sounding like I know what the heck I’m talking about beyond the above.  Hands are the bigger deal though of course, in terms of surface spread. :)

Washing hands is DEFINITELY helpful.  C19 can be spread through airborne transmission, but droplet transmission is also prevalent.   Handwashing is certainly not adequate, but it is still a good idea.  People who think its the most important thing are still dumb.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Going back to the UoW forecast of US COVID deaths between late August and the end of November, an update.  They predicted 100k with a peak of daily average cases slightly under 1400/day in mid-September.  It’s mid September.  The seven day average is 1888.  Total deaths from August 27 to now is 29,496.  A whole lot needs to change for the better if their forecast for the end of November holds true.

Daily case remain relatively flat from late August though slightly down.  155k to 152k.