Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

17 minutes ago, tshile said:

Conservatives, for all their bluster, are spineless cowards when they know the right thing to do but it’s challenging to do so. 

Getting a flu shot, and wearing a mask for 10 minutes in the grocery store is challenging?  

Nah. What's actually challenging, what they absolutely will not do, is admit (to themselves) that maybe the propagandists they worship fed them bull****. 

They've been trained, in many cases for their whole life,  that if they all just cop an attitude and get belligerent, then it's almost as though they weren't wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree, but I was speaking more to the specifics of that council deciding:

hey, you’re right, and doing a good job, but you pissed off a portion of our constituents so we think it’s best you resign and we find someone else who won’t piss them off (by not doing as good of a job)

he’s right. They know he’s right. They told him he’s right. But they’d rather placate the morons than do what a leader with responsibility for the well-being of other people should do. 

cause that would be harder than replacing him. 

• Like 1

New Covid variant found in Kentucky nursing home has deadly mutations that could evade virus antibodies

A NEW variant of COVID-19 with deadly mutations that give it "increased resistance to antibodies" was discovered in a Kentucky nursing home.

The variant, called R.1, infected 45 residents and employees in the facility, including some who were fully vaccinated.

R.1 originated in Japan and has now racked up over 10,000 entries in the GISAID SARS-CoV-2 database, which researchers use to record genomic data.

Scientist William A. Haseltine writes in Forbes: "R.1 is a variant to watch. It has established a foothold in both Japan and the United States.

He added that it features several unique mutations that could give it advantages in "transmission, replication, and immune suppression."

One of these, a mutation termed E484K located in the spike protein of the virus, gives it an "increased resistance" to antibodies generated by the vaccine.

R.1 shares an additional mutation, the D614G, with all other variants that have overtaken the original alpha strain, which increases its infectiousness.

It comes as the world crosses the grim milestone of 229million global COVID infections and a death toll of 4.7million on Tuesday, according to a Johns Hopkins tracker.

Click on the link for the full article

The latest moron fad:

Asthma group warns against social media trend of inhaling hydrogen peroxide to treat coronavirus

A leading asthma patient group has issued a warning against a coronavirus treatment circulating on social media that is leading some people to post videos of themselves breathing in hydrogen peroxide through a nebulizer.

The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America called the practice "concerning and dangerous" in a Tuesday blog post, emphasizing that it will neither treat nor prevent the virus and is harmful to the lungs.

"DO NOT put hydrogen peroxide into your nebulizer and breathe it in. This is dangerous!" wrote the foundation in a brief blog post.

It's the latest case in which the medical community has grappled with unsubstantiated and potentially dangerous at-home coronavirus treatments, many of which are driven by various forms of online misinformation.

Hydrogen peroxide is an antiseptic more commonly used to prevent infection from minor cuts, burns and scrapes. It is also used as a tooth whitener in some toothpastes, and as a common household cleaning agent.

But it can be poisonous for humans if swallowed in strong enough concentrations. The AAFA recommends against inhaling it in through a nebulizer, a medical machine which turns medications into breathable mist. 

3 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

'Vigilante treatments': Anti-vaccine groups push people to leave ICUs

Anti-vaccine Facebook groups have a new message for their community members: Don’t go to the emergency room, and get your loved ones out of intensive care units.

Consumed by conspiracy theories claiming that doctors are preventing unvaccinated patients from receiving miracle cures or are even killing them on purpose, some people in anti-vaccine and pro-ivermectin Facebook groups are telling those with Covid-19 to stay away from hospitals and instead try increasingly dangerous at-home treatments, according to posts seen by NBC News over the past few weeks.

The messages represent an escalation in the mistrust of medical professionals in groups that have sprung up in recent months on social media platforms, which have tried to crack down on Covid misinformation. And it’s something that some doctors say they’re seeing manifest in their hospitals as they have filled up because of the most recent delta variant wave.

Today is exactly 28 days since the article with the UW model predicting just under 100k additional people dead by the 1st of December.

We were supposed to peak at 1500 a day in mid September.

In just 28 days, according to the jhu tracker, 48,974 people have died. A daily average of ~1750 people a day. At that pace it will be just under 160k by December 1st. 

It’s possible that the cases taper off and the rate goes down. I really hope so. But reading the tweets and article about ivermectin/nebulizing peroxide/hospice above I think it’s more likely the case count goes down while the death rate goes up due to people not going to the hospital and a thinning of the anti-vax/right wing base.

We’re probably all the way through the Labor Day spike, but Halloween and colder weather are just around the corner.

If the current average holds we’ll reach the forecasted 100k by Oct 25th.

Edited by MrSilverMaC
Typo
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MrSilverMaC said:

Today is exactly 28 days since the article with the UW model predicting just under 100k additional people dead by the 1st of December.

We were supposed to peak at 1500 a day in mid September.

In just 28 days, according to the jhu tracker, 48,974 people have died. A daily average of ~1750 people a day. At that pace it will be just under 160k by December 1st. 

It’s possible that the cases taper off and the rate goes down. I really hope so. But reading the tweets and article about ivermectin/nebulizing peroxide/hospice above I think it’s more likely the case count goes down while the death rate goes up due to people not going to the hospital and a thinning of the anti-vax/right wing base.

We’re probably all the way through the Labor Day spike, but Halloween and colder weather are just around the corner.

If the current average holds we’ll reach the forecasted 100k by Oct 25th.

Just a minor correction that doesn’t take away from your overall point.  The forecast said that we’d be “nearly 1400 cases a day by mid September, then decline slowly.”  

We’re at 2,062 on 9/24, 2,087 on 9/20.   I point that out because their peak was off by at least 50%.  (Not sure if we’ve peaked yet).

31 minutes ago, China said:

According to Worldometer  we peaked in mid-September at 2,480 and were at 2,004 yesterday:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/#:~:text=Daily New Deaths,Latest News

If I’m reading your link correctly, they show deaths/cases by day.  The numbers I was showing in the previous post is the seven day average.  

54 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

If I’m reading your link correctly, they show deaths/cases by day.  The numbers I was showing in the previous post is the seven day average.  

If you look at the graph you can click a check box underneath to add in the 7 day moving average.  The peak was 1810, and is now down to 1724.

2 hours ago, China said:

If you look at the graph you can click a check box underneath to add in the 7 day moving average.  The peak was 1810, and is now down to 1724.

Just pointing out. The state of Florida, around 4-6 weeks ago, changed the way they report Covid death statistics. 

Used to be Florida, like every other state, reported how many death certificates listing Covid as the cause, were issued that day. 

Florida switched to, when a death certificate is issued, adding the death to the scoreboard, effective on the date the person died. Which is often weeks prior. 

This has the effect of making the most recent death numbers look smaller, compared to a month ago.  (Compared to the previous method). Because this week's number will increase with each new batch of death certificates. 

Which, of course, is not the reason they changed methods, or anything. 

On 9/23/2021 at 1:14 PM, China said:

The latest moron fad:

Asthma group warns against social media trend of inhaling hydrogen peroxide to treat coronavirus

A leading asthma patient group has issued a warning against a coronavirus treatment circulating on social media that is leading some people to post videos of themselves breathing in hydrogen peroxide through a nebulizer.

The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America called the practice "concerning and dangerous" in a Tuesday blog post, emphasizing that it will neither treat nor prevent the virus and is harmful to the lungs.

"DO NOT put hydrogen peroxide into your nebulizer and breathe it in. This is dangerous!" wrote the foundation in a brief blog post.

It's the latest case in which the medical community has grappled with unsubstantiated and potentially dangerous at-home coronavirus treatments, many of which are driven by various forms of online misinformation.

Hydrogen peroxide is an antiseptic more commonly used to prevent infection from minor cuts, burns and scrapes. It is also used as a tooth whitener in some toothpastes, and as a common household cleaning agent.

But it can be poisonous for humans if swallowed in strong enough concentrations. The AAFA recommends against inhaling it in through a nebulizer, a medical machine which turns medications into breathable mist. 

Totally off topic, but this is weird, so I'll post this tangent and leave you guys too it:

After the Ivermectin thing, I half jokingly said that I would get in on the next Qanon treatment and make bank. While in the store this week I saw a lot of peroxide and witch hazel on the shelves. I thought, too bad these Magas aren't chugging peroxide right now...I keep missing the money train!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Totally off topic, but this is weird, so I'll post this tangent and leave you guys too it:

After the Ivermectin thing, I half jokingly said that I would get in on the next Qanon treatment and make bank. While in the store this week I saw a lot of peroxide and witch hazel on the shelves. I thought, too bad these Magas aren't chugging peroxide right now...I keep missing the money train!

I like to think that some snotty, snarky people out there (just like me!) are floating these ideas to see what gets traction, just to troll the....well, trolls.

Salad dressing? I mean, c'mon, salad dressing??!? That's gotta be a straight up troll job