Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic


China
 Share

Recommended Posts

A Boy Went to a COVID-Swamped ER. He Waited for Hours. Then His Appendix Burst.

 

Non-COVID patients are paying a price as the delta variant and low-vaccination rates overwhelm hospitals across the country. “Wait times can now be measured in days,” said an expert.
 

What first struck Nathaniel Osborn when he and his wife took their son, Seth, to the emergency room this summer was how packed the waiting room was for a Wednesday at 1 p.m.

 

The Florida hospital’s emergency room was so crowded there weren’t enough chairs for the family to all sit as they waited. And waited.

 

Hours passed and 12-year-old Seth’s condition worsened, his body quivering from the pain shooting across his lower belly. Osborn said his wife asked why it was taking so long to be seen. A nurse rolled her eyes and muttered, “COVID.”

 

Seth was finally diagnosed with appendicitis more than six hours after arriving at Cleveland Clinic Martin Health North Hospital in late July. Around midnight, he was taken by ambulance to a sister hospital about a half-hour away that was better equipped to perform pediatric emergency surgery, his father said.

 

But by the time the doctor operated in the early morning hours, Seth’s appendix had burst — a potentially fatal complication.

 

As the nation’s hospitals fill and emergency rooms overflow with critically ill COVID-19 patients, it is the non-COVID-19 patients, like Seth, who have become collateral damage. They, too, need emergency care, but the sheer number of COVID-19 cases is crowding them out. Treatment has often been delayed as ERs scramble to find a bed that may be hundreds of miles away.

 

Some health officials now worry about looming ethical decisions. Last week, Idaho activated a “crisis standard of care,” which one official described as a “last resort.” It allows overwhelmed hospitals to ration care, including “in rare cases, ventilator (breathing machines) or intensive care unit (ICU) beds may need to be used for those who are most likely to survive, while patients who are not likely to survive may not be able to receive one,” the state’s website said.

 

Click on the link for the full article

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

US hospitals buckling under delta surge: 25% of ICUs are over 95% full

 

The current surge of COVID-19 cases driven by the hypertransmissible delta variant is straining hospitals across the US, particularly in the South. Twenty-five percent of hospital intensive care units around the country are now above 95 percent full. That percentage is up from 20 percent in July and just 10 percent in June, according to data tracking by The New York Times.

 

The spike in critical care follows a surge in cases and hospitalizations. Average new daily cases in the country skyrocketed from around 12,000 a day in late June to 150,000 or so in mid-September. Hospitalizations have likewise risen, shooting up from an average of nearly 17,000 a day at the start of July to around 100,000 now. Though cases and hospitalizations are starting to plateau or decline slightly, they are still extremely high. Deaths, meanwhile, are increasing. In the past two weeks, deaths have increased 40 percent to the current average of nearly 1,900 per day.

 

Click on the link for the full article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, China said:

US hospitals buckling under delta surge: 25% of ICUs are over 95% full

 

The current surge of COVID-19 cases driven by the hypertransmissible delta variant is straining hospitals across the US, particularly in the South. Twenty-five percent of hospital intensive care units around the country are now above 95 percent full. That percentage is up from 20 percent in July and just 10 percent in June, according to data tracking by The New York Times.

 

The spike in critical care follows a surge in cases and hospitalizations. Average new daily cases in the country skyrocketed from around 12,000 a day in late June to 150,000 or so in mid-September. Hospitalizations have likewise risen, shooting up from an average of nearly 17,000 a day at the start of July to around 100,000 now. Though cases and hospitalizations are starting to plateau or decline slightly, they are still extremely high. Deaths, meanwhile, are increasing. In the past two weeks, deaths have increased 40 percent to the current average of nearly 1,900 per day.

 

Click on the link for the full article

So that last line reflected 9/14’s numbers.  One day later the 7 day average death total is now 1943.  Also, Florida reports in batches.  We had 2584 reported deaths yesterday with Florida only reporting 6.  Very likely the 7 day average is over 2k tomorrow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And another one:

 

Unvaxxed Teen Councilman Who Attacked Mask Mandates Now Battling ‘Terrible’ COVID Pneumonia

 

A teenage city council member in Morgan County, Alabama, who tested positive for COVID-19 on Wednesday after railing against mask mandates said he’s now battling coronavirus-related pneumonia in the hospital.

 

“I am still shallow in breathing but my oxygen remains okay for now,” Decatur City Councilman Hunter Pepper, 19, wrote on Facebook Thursday. He received a CT scan on Wednesday night that confirmed he has COVID pneumonia, “which is absolutely terrible,” he wrote.

 

On Wednesday, Pepper—who’s repeatedly slammed mask mandates and refused to get vaccinated— said that he took two rapid tests and a PCR test for the coronavirus after he started to feel sick on Monday.

 

“Well, it has finally happened to me. Unfortunately, this morning I have confirmed two positive [tests] for Covid-19,” Pepper wrote Wednesday on Facebook. Everything In me wants to tell myself it is something different but every way I look it’s ‘Covid this, Covid that’ and it has terrified me and my family.”

 

Pepper wrote that he was “terrified” by the way that the media “continues to report on Covid-19 and explains ‘Death’ each time they do,” adding that he has “faith in the lord.”

 

“Maybe this will clear up soon and the symptoms of this sickness shall not progress as I can tell you, it feels terrible not to be able to breathe.”

 

He later told the Decatur Daily News that he had begun to show a “massive amount of symptoms” of the virus on Wednesday and that his oxygen levels were “holding a little well, and I don’t feel good at all.”

 

Pepper’s diagnosis has raised concerns over whether he may have exposed other local officials during a city council work session earlier in the week.

 

Click on the link for the full article

 

🎶Sweet home Alabama...🎶

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Ball Security said:

So that last line reflected 9/14’s numbers.  One day later the 7 day average death total is now 1943.  Also, Florida reports in batches.  We had 2584 reported deaths yesterday with Florida only reporting 6.  Very likely the 7 day average is over 2k tomorrow.

To take an even longer view, Johns Hopkins has a running 28 day death total. The average for the last 28 days is at 1549. That’s a jump of almost 70 just from the average yesterday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trump Jr. Cries Biden Has ‘Blood’ of His ‘Red State Enemies’ on His Hands as HHS Moves to Avoid COVID Drug Shortage

 

Donald Trump, Jr. is falsely claiming President Joe Biden is responsible for the impending deaths of Americans sick with COVID-19 after the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services bought an additional 1.4 million doses of Regeneron’s monoclonal antibody treatments. After discovering that 70% of all monoclonal antibody treatment doses were being ordered by just seven states, HHS announced it is taking over distribution of the life-saving drug.

 

Florida, Texas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, and Louisiana – states that have some of the highest per-capita cases of COVID-19 and some of the lowest vaccination rates, have been limiting the supply of monoclonal antibody treatments to the rest of the nation, CNN reports.

 

“Given this reality, we must work to ensure our supply of these life-saving therapies remains available for all states and territories, not just some,” an HHS spokesperson said.

 

“HHS will determine the amount of product each state and territory receives on a weekly basis. State and territorial health departments will subsequently identify sites that will receive product and how much,” the spokesperson said. “This system will help maintain equitable distribution, both geographically and temporally, across the country – providing states and territories with consistent, fairly-distributed supply over the coming weeks.”

 

That’s akin to killing people, Donald Trump, Jr. is suggesting.

 

“Americans will die because of Biden’s despicable decision to punish his political enemies in red states by restricting their ability to secure life-saving monoclonal antibody treatments for all that need them,” the former president’s son, who is not a medical expert, declared on social media. “Their blood is directly on Joe’s hands,” he added, disrespectfully refusing to address President Joe Biden by his elected position.

 

Click on the link for the full article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Odds of Getting Long COVID Are Terrifying

 

A study of Californians who contracted the coronavirus found that 35 percent of them reported at least one symptom two months after they tested positive—a phenomenon known as “long COVID.” The most common lingering problems in the study—conducted before the vaccine were available and published this week by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention—were fatigue and trouble breathing. The researchers found that women, people over 40, Black people, and those with pre-existing conditions were more likely to suffer from long COVID. They also noted the small size of the study sample—366 people—and said more research is needed.

 

Click on the link for the full article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Deaths Exceeded Births in a Record Number of States in 2020

 

In 2020, the impact of COVID-19 contributed to a record 3,376,000 deaths in the United States: 18 percent more than in 2019. In addition, births diminished by 4 percent to 3,605,000 in 2020. Because U.S. population growth depends on a surplus of births over deaths, this slowed U.S. population growth in 2020. The surplus of births over deaths added just 229,000 to the population in 2020 compared to 892,000 in 2019: a decline of 74 percent. This decline coupled with diminished immigration produced the United States’ smallest annual percentage population gain in at least 100 years. 

 

us2015statenatchange2020_5_3_2021notitle

 

Click on the link for the full article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, China said:

Alabama health officials report COVID-19 deaths surpass births

 

ADPH says preliminary COVID-19 deaths in 2020 are 64,714 deaths. State birth records are 57,641.
 

That can’t be right. That’s 4x the number I have seen them report for their total covid deaths including 2021.

 

Not that I’d put it past them to purposely under report their 2020 numbers for trump’s sake. 


Maybe they mean all other deaths + covid? Even that is an incredible number.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, MrSilverMaC said:

That can’t be right. That’s 4x the number I have seen them report for their total covid deaths including 2021.

 

Not that I’d put it past them to purposely under report their 2020 numbers for trump’s sake. 


Maybe they mean all other deaths + covid? Even that is an incredible number.

 

 

 

That 64,714 number must be total deaths, not COVID deaths.  COVID deaths in Alabama is around 13,048.  So you are correct.

 

Edit:  in looking into it further, the numbers they are reporting seem to be the total deaths from 2020, which are about 7K more than the births in 2020.  Check the chart in the link below:

 

Alabama saw more deaths in 2020 than any year in history

 

 

Edited by China
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, China said:

 

That 64,714 number must be total deaths, not COVID deaths.  COVID deaths in Alabama is around 13,048.  So you are correct.

 

Edit:  in looking into it further, the numbers they are reporting seem to be the total deaths from 2020, which are about 7K more than the births in 2020.  Check the chart in the link below:

 

Alabama saw more deaths in 2020 than any year in history

 

 

Yeah, total including covid makes way more sense. It’s still an incredible number though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...