Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

My brother (we're black) wanted to do a black podcast with me where we pretend to be black conservatives, kinda like a Diamond and Silk kinda thing. He thinks it would be a good way for us to milk the Trump crowd of their money, I think I have a better idea:

I'm going to go on to the Q message board and keep my ear to the ground, when they start rambling about some random medicine that doesn't work, I'm going to start buying that medicine up. I'm then going to turn around and sell it to the highest bidder. I'll be more than happy to help these idiots part with their hard earned money.

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I always argued with people I knew joe Rogan is a dumbass. I’m so petty, I’ve been rubbing it in their face. 

Hey, I knew he was a dumbass, it just didn't matter when he was just the "Fear Factor" guy playing with microphones in his basement. The guy has influence now...he shouldn't have influence.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Aaron Jaggi, 35, was trying to get healthy before he died of COVID-19, 12 hours after his older brother Free Jaggi, 41, lost his life to the virus. They were overweight, which increases the risk of severe COVID-19 illness, and on the fence about getting vaccinated, thinking the risk was minimal because they both worked from home, said Brittany Pequignot, who has lived with the family at various times and is like an adopted daughter.

After their death, the family found a whiteboard that belonged to Aaron. It listed his daily goals for sit-ups and push-ups.

“He was really trying,” Pequignot said.

Except for doing the one thing that would have almost certainly saved their lives.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Outdoors: Deer are infected with COVID-19 virus. Here's what hunters need to do to protect themselves

The fact that a significant percentage of wild Ohio deer tested last winter were positive for SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus pathogen that causes COVID-19 in people, doesn’t necessarily change the hunting game when the 2021-22 whitetail season opens later this month.

Prudent hunters, however, should wear rubber or throwaway surgical gloves when field-dressing a downed animal. And that’s only one of several just-in-case precautions being recommended by the Ohio Division of Wildlife.

That's because what was found in the wild deer captured by Ohio State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine — with test results confirmed at a federal lab — “is in fact the same virus” identified in late 2019 at the start of a global outbreak, said Mike Tonkovich, the wildlife division’s deer project leader.

None of the infected Ohio deer showed signs of disease.

Click on the link for the full article

The ‘true delta wave’ starts this weekend, expert says

The true wave of the delta variant is coming this weekend, said Dr. Scott Gottlieb, the former Food and Drug Administration commissioner.

Will there be another delta wave?

Gottlieb said states like New York and Connecticut will experience another COVID-19 surge because of the delta variant of the novel coronavirus, according to CNBC.

“I think there’s sort of a perception that we’re sort of through this delta wave here in the Northeast because we’ve seen delta cases go up and go down in places like the New York metropolitan region. We’re also seeing (test) positive come down,” he said, per CNBC.

The delta variant has already been surging throughout the United States. But that might only be the beginning of the delta wave.

“I don’t think that that was the true delta wave. I think that that was a delta warning. I think our true delta wave is going to start to build after Labor Day here in the Northeast and the northern part of the country,” Gottlieb said.

58 minutes ago, China said:

Outdoors: Deer are infected with COVID-19 virus. Here's what hunters need to do to protect themselves

The fact that a significant percentage of wild Ohio deer tested last winter were positive for SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus pathogen that causes COVID-19 in people, doesn’t necessarily change the hunting game when the 2021-22 whitetail season opens later this month.

Prudent hunters, however, should wear rubber or throwaway surgical gloves when field-dressing a downed animal. And that’s only one of several just-in-case precautions being recommended by the Ohio Division of Wildlife.

That's because what was found in the wild deer captured by Ohio State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine — with test results confirmed at a federal lab — “is in fact the same virus” identified in late 2019 at the start of a global outbreak, said Mike Tonkovich, the wildlife division’s deer project leader.

But has anybody tried horse dewormer on them?  

Julie Smith testified that neither she nor her husband were vaccinated against COVID-19. She said it was “experimental,” so she didn’t trust it.

“We didn’t feel confident it had been out long enough,” she said during a hearing Thursday.

But we are fine with using a drug for parasites instead.

Across The COVID-Ravaged South, High-Level Life Support Is Difficult To Find

Hospital discharge day for Phoua Yang was more like a pep rally.

On her way rolling out of Centennial Medical Center in Nashville, she teared up as streamers and confetti rained down on her. Nurses chanted her name as they wheeled her out of the hospital for the first time since she arrived in February with COVID-19, barely able to breathe.

The 38-year-old mother is living proof of the power of ECMO — a method of oxygenating a patient's blood outside the body, then pumping it back in. Her story helps explain why a shortage of trained staff who can run the machines that perform this extracorporeal membrane oxygenation has become such a pinch point as COVID-19 hospitalizations surge.

"One hundred forty six days is a long time," Yang says of the time she spent on the ECMO machine. "It's been like a forever journey with me."

For nearly five months, Yang had blood pumping out a hole in her neck and running through the rolling ECMO cart by her bed.

ECMO is the highest level of life support — beyond a ventilator, which pumps oxygen via a tube through the windpipe, down into the lungs. The ECMO process, in contrast, basically functions as a heart and lungs outside the body.

The process, more often used before the pandemic for organ transplant candidates, is not a treatment. But it buys time for the lungs of patients who have COVID-19 to heal. Often they've been on a ventilator for a while. Even when it's working well, a ventilator can have its own side-effects after prolonged use — including nerve damage or damage to the lung itself through the excessive air pressure.

Doctors often describe ECMO as a way to let the lungs "rest" — especially useful when even ventilation isn't fully oxygenating a patient's blood.

Many more people could benefit from ECMO than are receiving it, which has made for a messy triaging of treatment that could escalate in the coming weeks as the delta variant surges across the South and in rural communities with low vaccination rates.

2 hours ago, China said:

Haha! Gotta love Covid! It seems like it's actually going after these maga hat/anti vaxx losers now, I say have at'em! Wait, did Covid become sentient?

I-TEAM: Nurse investigated for allegedly writing mask opt-out notes at public park

Is a local registered nurse selling mask and vaccine opt out forms at a public park? That’s the claim that’s now under investigation after complaints from fellow health care professionals.

The News4Jax I-TEAM went undercover Thursday at a park in Jacksonville Beach after getting multiple tips that a licensed nurse was offering to sign forms to get children and employees out of mask mandates or vaccine requirements.

I-TEAM cameras recorded as women walked up with forms in their hands. They sat down with a woman who was waiting at a picnic table under a pavilion with her children nearby.

She could clearly be seen signing their papers.

One of the mothers tucked the form away and they begin to chat.

The I-TEAM is investigating claims related to Facebook posts, where a woman was advertising she’d sign mask opt-out forms. News4Jax has chosen not to identify her, for the time being, because it’s unclear if she has committed a crime.

In the post, she advertises that she’s selling herbal supplements, but she goes on to write:

“Also available to sign off on Florida exemptions for masks and vaccines (religious only for vax).”

Hundreds of comments followed, many with people requesting an exemption.

“I’d like to get a religious exemption for both my hubby and I but we are both at home with covid currently,” said one commenter.

Others said they were sending private messages.

The nurse posted two addresses where she’ll meet: one at the beachfront public park and the other at a gas station on the Northside of Jacksonville. And she included her handle for an online payment application.

As the I-TEAM was investigating, so were the Jacksonville Beach Police.

Officers arrived and a sergeant talked to the nurse. As she walked to her SUV, he told News4Jax she was not practicing medicine. She had no response when asked about why she was signing opt-out forms at a public park.

“I don’t wanna talk to you,” she said. “Please leave. Please leave me alone.”

The I-TEAM found her nursing license with the state of Florida and it’s active. However, is signing exemption forms for masks and vaccines in a public park illegal?

“I’m concerned about whether or not they’re practicing medicine in a park,” said private attorney Gene Nichols, who analyzed the legalities of the case. “And I’m concerned whether or not they are in essence peddling selling items without a permit.” 

“We have to look to see whether or not even a registered nurse is obligated to perform some sort of medical examination of an individual before they just fill out a form,” he said.

A representative with the Florida Department of Health Duval told News4Jax:

- Someone practicing beyond the scope of their license can be reported

- A medical provider would have to perform an exam to sign an opt out form

- Scenarios like this are happening across the state

17 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

But we are fine with using a drug for parasites instead.

Beyond that they are OK listening to some right wing radio hacks and their friends on Facebook instead of the science experts. And the irony is completely lost on them.

"I know the doctors and scientists that study this say take the vaccine but it's not been out long enough. On the other hand my neighbor John said he heard on NewsMax that this Ivermectin works. So we went that way of course. Sounds good." 

****ing idiots deserve whatever happens. 

• Like 1

Just Say It: The Health Care System Has Collapsed

Recently, a local news station in Houston ran a story about a man who passed away while waiting for a hospital bed. The story went viral.

Daniel Wilkinson, a 46-year-old veteran who served two deployments in Afghanistan, presented to a community hospital a few doors down from his home in Bellville, Texas, a small town on the outskirts of Houston. He was feeling sick and was ultimately diagnosed with gallstone pancreatitis.

In countries with modern health systems, gallstone pancreatitis is a dangerous but highly treatable diagnosis—often requiring an emergency interventional procedure that can be done at most large referral hospitals (including many in the Houston area), followed by a short ICU stay. But with the COVID-19 pandemic raging throughout Texas and much of the larger region, finding an ICU bed these days is no small task. Wilkinson was forced to wait more than seven hours before a bed finally opened at a VA hospital in Houston. But by then, gas pockets had started to form inside Wilkinson’s pancreas, suggesting that the failing organ was spreading an infection throughout his body. After waiting too long to have that procedure done, Daniel Wilkinson died.

For a year or so, we’ve been told repeatedly that the American health system has been on the brink of collapse. In the past month, this phrase has been used to describe the plight of hospitals in Oklahoma, Louisiana, Alabama, and Alaska; last winter, it was used to describe health systems in California and Idaho. Mississippi’s health care system, in a recent New Yorker essay, was observed to be approaching statewide failure, while in a Politico headline at the start of the pandemic, hospitals in New York were quickly reaching a breaking point. Descriptions of health systems at the very limit of functionality rank among other COVID clichés like new normal and in these trying times.

But to say that our health care system is on the brink of collapse is to sugarcoat it. The story of a veteran dying near a city known for having some of the best hospitals in the world—and from a very treatable ailment—illustrates that our health system has already collapsed.

Daniel Wikinson’s story feels at once shocking and almost typical at this point in the pandemic. As a resident physician who has only trained in an era of COVID—I was asked to consider graduating from school early in April 2020 to help with medical staff shortages—my time as a doctor has been defined by working in a system that has already collapsed. The American health system I work in has featured limited personal protective equipment, oxygen shortages, and the construction of field hospitals in convention centers and parking garages. Last winter, many hospitals across the country instituted crisis standards of care, forced to ration health services based on criteria that few people envisioned would be used outside of a mass casualty event, like a terrorist attack. Today, hospitals are full in much of the country, with patients requiring an ICU being airlifted thousands of miles in search of a staffed bed. These are not features of a health system that is approaching failure. These are features of a health care system that has broken down spectacularly, forcing doctors and patients to climb through the rubble looking for help.

Click on the link for more

• Sad 3

43 minutes ago, clietas said:

That's assault. Coughing on a person is no different than spitting. Which is considered assault in most places. She should have been charged. Or at the very least kicked out of the Piggly Wiggly. 🐷

As a North Carolinian who has been to many a Piggly Wiggly, I can assure you sir, that is 100% not a Piggly Wiggly. 

• Haha 1