Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

@Larry yes, and that is why using the word vaccine for this treatment isn’t what we should be doing. This is a treatment not a vaccine. But people will hear treatment and think oh I don’t need until I get it. That isn’t the case. The trails for the “vaccine” only tracked who got sick with COVID not if actually got it or not. The research just isn’t there. On if it truly stops the spread.

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Larry said:

Nor am I.  

But the Mumps vaccine doesn't allow me to get Mumps, and spread it, and just prevent me from showing symptoms.  It stops me from getting it.  I'm pretty sure that's what every single vaccine we have, does.  

Note:  No, it does not mean that my body is guaranteed to never contain a single Mumps virus, ever.  It means that if a virus (or a thousand) does get into my body, my immune system will kill them before I have enough of the virus, to be considered infected.  

Testing positive for the Virus doesn’t mean you are “infected” if you want to use that word in that way. It means that when they swab your sinuses they detect the virus. Your body can kill all the virus and a PCR test will pick up those shedding dead cells and pop a positive test. That’s why an antigen test is a better test, because it detects live virus in you. PCR testing doesn’t determine if your body is killing off the virus preventing you from getting sick, just detecting the presence of the cells. Also, you CAN get the measles, mumps, or rubella after 2 doses of the MMR vaccine. 

Some people who get two doses of MMR vaccine may still get measles, mumps, or rubella if they are exposed to the viruses that cause these diseases. Experts aren’t sure why; it could be that their immune systems didn’t respond as well as they should have to the vaccine or their immune system’s ability to fight the infection decreased over time. However, disease symptoms are generally milder in vaccinated people.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/mmr/public/index.html

There isn’t a single vaccine ever developed that prevents 100% of vaccinated people from getting sick, or transmitting the disease/virus they are vaccinated against to unvaccinated persons. None. 

Edited by Popeman38
  • Like 2

Just now, just654 said:

@Larry yes, and that is why using the word vaccine for this treatment isn’t what we should be doing. This is a treatment not a vaccine. But people will hear treatment and think oh I don’t need until I get it. That isn’t the case. The trails for the “vaccine” only tracked who got sick with COVID not if actually got it or not. The research just isn’t there. On if it truly stops the spread.

Treatment is something that happens after you get a disease.  

A vaccine tricks your immune system into thinking that it's been invaded.  Your immune system responds by issuing Wanted posters for the intruders.  So that if a real invasion occurs, the cops will already be looking for them.  Which is what this does.  

58 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

There isn’t a single vaccine ever developed that prevents 100% of vaccinated people from getting sick, or transmitting the disease/virus they are vaccinated against to unvaccinated persons. None. 

A point I already made.  No virus out there works for 100% of people.  

Again.  Is there a vaccine, for any virus out there, where the vaccine stops people (large numbers of people, not the occasional freak where the vaccine doesn't work) That produces a result of "prevents symptoms, but the person is still contagious anyway"?  

Because I seem to be seeing a whole bunch of people arguing that "well, it hasn't been conclusively proven that this vaccine doesn't do that".  In fact, I'm seeing somebody (might be you, haven't checked) who seems to be arguing that "It's incorrect to even call it a vaccine, it's a treatment that works before you get infected by injecting the patient with a portion of the virus, for the purpose of stimulating the patient's immune system into preemptively generating immune responses against that portion of the virus."  

Things that get to me is that, when these variants pop up, it's always like two people who have had no travel, and don't know each other.  

Thus guaranteeing that when we detect it, there's over 100 other people who already have it.  (More likely thousands.)  

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I didn’t Know you could get it, I know you could spread it.

How many people, after being vaccinated, are contagious?  

Here's a link, to an NIH web page which summarizes the data from the peer-reviewed study, covering the results of the clinical trials of the Moderna vaccine.  (Curiously, the NIH calls it a vaccine, despite the fact that it's really a treatment, I've been told.)  

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/peer-reviewed-report-moderna-covid-19-vaccine-publishes

Now, here's what is known, from that test.  

The study ran 4 months.  15,210 people received the vaccine, and 15,210 receives saline.  

During the period from (145 days after 2nd shot) to (end of study), the number of people who developed symptomatic Covid were (placebo - vaccine)

185 -  11

Making the number of symptomatic people per 1,000:  

12.2 - 0.72

The number of (vaccinated people who got infected anyway) is 6% of the (number of placebo people who got infected.)  

I would say that it's a valid layman's term to say that the vaccine doesn't work 6% of the time.  

Is there any reason at all to just assume that the (% of people who still transmit the disease, after being vaccinated) is significantly bigger than (6% of the people who are transmitting it now)?  

Yes, I would certainly assume that those 11 people who got vaccinated, but still got sick anyway, were contagious.  It's absolutely proven that some people can spread the disease after being vaccinated.  

The number of people who get vaccinated who can still spread it anyway is guaranteed not to be zero.  

But is there any reason at all to assume that the ratio of:  

People who can spread the virus, after being vaccinated

People who can spread the virus, without being vaccinated

Won't be similar to the ratio of:  

People who got sick, after being vaccinated

People who got sick, without being vaccinated

(which is 6%)?

29 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Simply, the shots are not 100% effective. 

Seems like a safe bet, since I'm pretty sure that no vaccine in history ever has been.  

Edited by Larry

Vaccines provide excellent protection, not necessarily immunity.  They likely do reduce, but definitely don't eliminate, asymptomatic spread.  Here's an explanation I sent to my staff:

I commonly get asked if we can stop wearing masks after we get the vaccine.  Short answer is NO.  The vaccines are quite effective at reducing the chances of severe COVID.  They don’t do as much to reduce the spread.  They produce a robust IgG response, which is highly protective against the sepsis and endothelial damage that is the key to the mortality/morbidity of COVID.  The vaccines don’t produce nearly as much of a IgA response, so viral load in oral/nasal secretions can still be quite high.  There is good evidence that vaccinated people can still carry and spread the virus, so we still need PPE to protect each other and our patients.

For my non-medical ES friends, IgG is the class of antibodies that makes up the bulk of circulating immunity in blood.  IgA is in secretions/mucous membranes.  It makes sense that an intramuscular vaccine would produce IgG response more than IgA.  IgG is the key to protection against severe disease.  IgA is the key at reducing spread.  Hope that helps.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8

Eh.  If the vaccine doesn't at least really cut down the spread, then to me it's a case of "well, that's better than nothing, but . . . "  

Although granted, that's me going from assuming that it will be 95% effective against spread, to assuming it's zero.  If it's, say, 50% effective against spread?  It's still big.  

• Like 1

What a difference a year makes:

A Year Ago Today, the WHO Called COVID a “Public Health Emergency of International Concern”

Today marks the one-year anniversary of the World Health Organization declaring “a public health emergency of international concern over the outbreak of novel coronavirus.” Since then the virus has killed more than 2.2 million people worldwide. 

At the time WHO Director General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus made the declaration, there were fewer than 100 cases in the world, and this week we passed 102 million reported cases. More positive cases have been reported in the past two weeks than during the first six months of the pandemic, Tedros said at a press conference Friday.

“A year ago, I said the world had a window of opportunity to prevent widespread transmission of this new virus,” Tedros said. “Some countries heeded that call; some did not.”

Click on the link for the full article

How COVID-19 Ended Flu Season Before It Started

In the third week of 2021, clinical laboratories nationwide tested 23,549 specimens for influenza. Of those, just 0.3 percent (65 tests) turned up positive — a number that is, to put it mildly, absolutely wild.

“Normally, this time of year, we’d be running 20 to 30 percent positive,” said Lynnette Brammer, the head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Domestic Influenza Surveillance team.

Although the U.S. continues to struggle with COVID-19, it has apparently beaten the flu into submission. Since the end of September, the combined total of positive flu cases identified by both public health and clinical labs is fewer than 1,500. There are high schools with more people in them. The phenomenon is not only in the United States — worldwide, rates of influenza are nearly off-the-charts low. When you line multiple years up on the same graph, it can even look like there are no cases of flu this year. That’s how out of step we are with the norm.

That data is mind-blowing, especially because many observers spent the fall worried about a “twindemic.” The minuscule flu season also raises a few questions: How can there be so many cases of one respiratory illness and so few of another? Why isn’t there always a tidy match between the places with the least COVID-19 and the places with the least flu, or vice versa? And, seriously, are the flu numbers really that low?

The answers are complex, even though this teeny-tiny flu season is a simple fact.

We don’t track the flu the way we track COVID-19. The average seasonal flu exists in a weird liminal space, serious enough to keep an eye on, but also not so serious that we are literally trying to count every single case. After all, most people who get sick with the flu won’t even bother to go get tested for it. They’ll have a couple bad days in bed (if they’re able to take off work) and otherwise go about life basically unchanged.

Coronavirus cases are falling around the world

Daily cases of COVID-19 are currently falling across most of the world, and deaths — which had been climbing globally until late January — are also beginning to decrease.

Chart of Coronavirus Cases by Country

The big picture: We can only learn so much from this 30,000-foot view, and there's plenty to fear from the emerging variants. Plus, cases and deaths had been so high that even after climbing down from the peak, we're still pretty close to the summit.

But this is the first time since the pandemic began where cases are falling in basically every region of the world at the same time. On a global level, virtually the only number that is rising is vaccine doses administered.

And in some places — south Asia for example — there's growing confidence that the worst of the pandemic may be over even before vaccines become widely available.

Cambridge Analytica Psychologist Advising Global COVID-19 Disinformation Network

The former lead psychologist of Cambridge Analytica – the notorious digital analytics firm which disseminated fake news on behalf of the Brexit and Donald Trump election campaigns – is advising some of the leading pandemic disinformation platforms in Britain and is connected to COVID-19 conspiracy theory groups in the US, South Africa and elsewhere, Byline Times can reveal.

Many of these platforms and groups have direct ties to hard-right politicians in the Conservative Party and Nigel Farage’s Brexit Party.

Patrick Fagan, a behavioural and consumer psychologist, was head of psychology at Cambridge Analytica from October 2017 to May 2018. He worked on “local and presidential political campaigns in Europe, Africa and North America”, according to his own website. 

He is currently the chief scientific officer for Capuchin Behavioural Science, which claims to “apply a range of scientific behavioural methods including psychometrics, implicit testing, eye-tracking, facial coding, EEG, and more to deliver measurable commercial results”.

In late 2020, Fagan joined the advisory board of an obscure website called the ‘COVID-19 Assembly’, quietly set up in August 2020 to serve as a “centre point for all anti-lockdown groups worldwide”.