Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

22 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I dont get why infected are being buried and not immediately cremated. Aren't deceased covid victims still infectious to a degree?

I don't know about all that, but I'm sure some religious standards/protocols have to be considered.  

I don't think that covid is relative to Bubonic Plague in that regard, though...but I have been known to be wrong. 

• Like 2

Mayo Clinic Warns It May Soon Be Limited In Caring For COVID Patients Amid Surging Rates

One of the world’s leading hospitals based here in Minnesota is warning people to take precautions against getting COVID-19. On Tuesday, the dean of Mayo Clinic Practice said that the surge in COVID cases is putting a strain on the hospital system in the Midwest.

Dr. Amy Williams said the biggest concern is staffing.

“Our ability to care or patients depends on staffing, supplies, and space,” Williams said.

Williams warned that the Mayo Clinic could soon be limited in caring for patients with the surge in COVID 19 cases. Right now, more than 1,000 members of their staff are out due to having COVID, or being exposed to the disease.

“The most critical worry we have right now caring for patients is staffing we have an increase in staff absences,” she said.

In the communities that the Mayo Clinic serves, positive COVID-19 tests have come back as high as 20% in Minnesota and 30% positive in Wisconsin. Williams said Gov. Tim Walz’s new orders are a huge step in the right direction, but she said it doesn’t stop people from not following basic guidelines.

Click on the link for the full article

I have no sympathy for the people voting against their own self interest.  I just hope they don't end up killing other people due to their ignorance.

Sioux Falls mayor votes down mask mandate as South Dakota’s covid-19 numbers rise

By 10 p.m. on Tuesday, the city council in Sioux Falls, S.D., had heard from more than a dozen residents passionately arguing over a mask mandate in the largest city of a state where novel coronavirus infections have been rising at a devastating rate.

As the eight commissioners cast their votes, though, it ended in a deadlock. That left the city’s Republican mayor, who had previously told people to “wear a dang mask,” to break the tie.

But he voted against it.

“I believe the small uptick we’ll see in compliance is not worth the community division that this will create,” Sioux Falls Mayor Paul TenHaken told the audience.

The mask mandate’s failure comes as the state sees a steep rise in virus-related hospitalizations, new reported cases and deaths. Last week, South Dakota’s new daily reported cases rose by roughly 9 percent; the state also saw an 18.2 percent increase in daily reported deaths and a 26.5 percent uptick in hospitalizations, according to The Washington Post’s coronavirus tracker.

But state leaders, including Gov. Kristi L. Noem (R) — who has tried to downplay the seriousness of the pandemic — have refused to issue mask mandates even as doctors have urged the public to cover their faces and avoid large gatherings.

“It pains me that we’re becoming famous now for our statistics,” Tom Dean, a South Dakotan doctor, told The Washington Post on Monday. “One in every 20 people has gotten sick in about the last month. Our death rate is the highest in the country, but it’s more than that. These aren’t anonymous cases. These are my patients, my friends, my family.”

Don't feel too bad for me.  As bad as things are here, I work at one of (if not the) largest and finest and most well-resourced hospital in the country.  We have the best experts, the best equipment, the best organization, and still we are nearing a breaking point.

I can only begin to imagine what it is like at a small, under-resourced, community hospital in some of the hot-zone areas of the Dakotas and Wisconsin.  It must be truly hellish.   

Edited by bcl05
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, China said:

“It pains me that we’re becoming famous now for our statistics,” Tom Dean, a South Dakotan doctor, told The Washington Post on Monday. “One in every 20 people has gotten sick in about the last month. Our death rate is the highest in the country, but it’s more than that. These aren’t anonymous cases. These are my patients, my friends, my family.”

You might be concerned with the staggering % of your public officials that are ****ing morons, that's a scary statistic 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

Don't feel too bad for me.  As bad as things are here, I work at one of (if not the) largest and finest and most well-resourced hospital in the country.  We have the best experts, the best equipment, the best organization, and still we are nearing a breaking point.

I can only begin to imagine what it is like at a small, under-resourced, community hospital in some of the hot-zone areas of the Dakotas and Wisconsin.  It must be truly hellish.   

I appreciate what you do, as well as those in hospitals across the country.  It’s good to hear your hospital is well funded, but that does not diminish your efforts.  Across the country, and the world, professionals like yourself are helping those that are suffering from the worst effects of this virus everyday.  I know there are people in hospitals across the country, bending over backwards, to fight Covid.  I feel good knowing that those people, including yourself, are out there.  Thank you for being there.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

In the last week, my sons school was closed Monday and Tuesday for deep cleaning and contact tracing due to kids party where a kid came up positive, my friends mother in law is positive, another friend just tested positive about an hour ago after an outbreak at his work, and two of my favorites restaurants have been shut down due to covid positive employees.

• Sad 3

expert reaction to Pfizer and BioNTech reporting interim results from phase 3 COVID-19 vaccine trial

“One can foresee at least two drawbacks to the Pfizer vaccine, even assuming it works as well as we currently think. 

First, it requires two injections for full effectiveness, spaced 3 to 4 weeks apart. 

Second, it needs to be stored at -80 degrees before use.  Both properties will severely complicate administering the vaccine to many recipients, particularly in countries which are warm and have less developed cold chains.  There is therefore every reason to continue the search for novel vaccines particularly those requiring only one dose which can be distributed in powder form and reconstituted prior to use.”

• Sad 1

My wife has once again been moved to off campus teaching as is her student pod. This is the third time in three months they have separated her pod waiting for a COVID test. Feeling at her school is they are going to full virtual very soon due to the new numbers. 

Edited by GoSkinsGo