Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

El Paso, Texas, Gets 4th Mobile Morgue As COVID-19 Deaths Rise

With new coronavirus infections surging and area hospitals already at capacity, medical examiners in El Paso, Texas, have received a fourth refrigerated morgue to temporarily store bodies, a county official says.

It is a stark reality for a city where coronavirus patients have been succumbing to COVID-19 at a rate faster than medical personnel can investigate their cases. El Paso sits along the U.S. southern border and is referred to as part of the Borderplex, along with Mexico's Ciudad Juárez.

"People that die are under investigation, to see if they died of COVID and to discern whether or not they had other diseases. That holds back the process," El Paso County Judge Ricardo Samaniego told local television station KFOX-TV.

"I think you're going to see tremendous more deaths coming up in the next two to three days," he said.

As of Sunday, Samaniego said, the county had a backlog of 85 bodies that still required a medical personnel investigation, according to the station.

"My understanding is that we just got our fourth one," Samaniego confirmed to local TV station KVIA TV in El Paso Sunday afternoon, referring to the number of mobile morgues in place.

Click on the link for the full article

21 minutes ago, Larry said:

Assuming (wishing?) Trump loses, today, will attempting to slow the spread of the virus become a political option for Republicans again?  

Nope. Because they’ll want to blame it on Biden. Midterms 2022 messaging: Only 225k died of Covid under Trump (they’ll use Election Day as the cutoff date). 400k died under Biden. And they’ll probably find some city somewhere that “misused” the bailout money and turn that into the biggest scandal since Solendra. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Larry said:

Wondering if I'm the only person who thinks that the phrase "right-wing pastor" ought to be an oxymoron.  

I belong to a Baptist church here in Charlotte, NC that has been excommunicated from the Southern Baptist Convention, because we allow gay and lesbian members. Our charter states, “open to all, closed to none.” Our old pastor was a wonderful, bright, and left leaning man. He had some personal issues that caused him to step down a couple years ago, and he was replaced by a much younger, and possibly even further left leaning pastor.

We have routinely had demonstrators at our Sunday services, and I, and my wife and kids, have been called nasty things by “good Christians”.

Now, if the term “evangelical” is linked to pastor, I’d let your comment slide, but there are many, very good people doing the Lord’s work. 

Painting with a broad brush can often lead to a mess, dirtying people that don’t deserve that. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

I belong to a Baptist church here in Charlotte, NC that has been excommunicated from the Southern Baptist Convention, because we allow gay and lesbian members. Our charter states, “open to all, closed to none.” Our old pastor was a wonderful, bright, and left leaning man. He had some personal issues that caused him to step down a couple years ago, and he was replaced by a much younger, and possibly even further left leaning pastor.

We have routinely had demonstrators at our Sunday services, and I, and my wife and kids, have been called nasty things by “good Christians”.

Now, if the term “evangelical” is linked to pastor, I’d let your comment slide, but there are many, very good people doing the Lord’s work. 

Painting with a broad brush can often lead to a mess, dirtying people that don’t deserve that. 

Your post would have been a great rebuttal to a post that claimed that all pastors are extreme right wingers.  

But since I said nothing of the sort, it's just puzzling.  

My point went to the opinion that pastors shouldn't be aligned with any particular "wing".  

• Like 1

Mink variant of coronavirus spreads to humans in Denmark; full cull planned

A genetic variant of the pandemic coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, found in mink has spread from the animals to at least 12 people in Denmark, the prime minister said at a press conference Wednesday. The government is now planning to cull all the mink on Danish farms, which are estimated to have between 15 and 17 million of the animals.

“It is very, very serious,” Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen said, according to the Associated Press.

It’s so far unclear how the genetic variation found in infected mink could actually affect humans. Researchers who track genetic variations in SARS-CoV-2 have not yet seen data on the mink strain and cautioned people not to be overly concerned.

Genetic variations naturally occur and accumulate in coronaviruses over time, which is how scientists often track their spread in humans. Since the pandemic began, SARS-CoV-2 does not appear to be mutating particularly quickly, and scientists have found no firm evidence that any particular genetic variant or strain of virus is more dangerous to humans than any others.

Still, Frederiksen said health authorities are worried about the possibility that the mink variant could evade protective immune responses in humans and are planning the cull as a precaution. Specifically, they’re concerned anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibodies people make—either during an infection from a SARS-CoV-2 strain known to be circulating in humans or from a future vaccine based off a strain from humans—may not be able to fight off the mink variant as well.

Hope for coronavirus vaccine by Christmas: Oxford team says trial results due THIS year

The leading university has sparked hope a coronavirus vaccine will be ready in just weeks, as an expert said one could be deployed before Christmas. When discussing the chances of presenting trial results this year, Oxford Vaccine Trial Chief Investigator Andrew Pollard said: "I'm optimistic that we could reach that point before the end of this year."

He said the researchers should know whether the experimental vaccine has worked by the end of the year. 

Then regulators will have to carefully review the data, before Boris Johnson decides who should have access to the vaccine.

Mr Pollard, who is director of the Oxford Vaccine Group, said: "Our bit - we are getting closer to but we are not there yet."

Asked if he expected the vaccine would start to be deployed before Christmas, he said: "There is a small chance of that being possible but I just don't know."

Coronavirus: Are Indians more immune to Covid-19?

Millions of Indians have limited access to clean water, consume unhygienic food, breathe foul air and live in densely packed surroundings.

Researchers have found this makes them susceptible to a host of non-communicable illnesses like heart and chronic respiratory diseases, cancer and diabetes. These contribute significantly to the disease burden, according to a government report. Air pollution alone kills more than a million Indians every year.

The World Health Organisation says safe water, sanitation and hygienic conditions are essential for protection of health against Covid-19. A joint study by the WHO and the United Nations' children's agency, Unicef, found that nearly three billion people - some 40% of the global population and living almost entirely in developing nations - lack "basic hand washing facilities". This was enough to spark concerns that the coronavirus would tear through their populations, and lead to millions of deaths in countries such as India.

"Typically access to healthcare facilities, hygiene and sanitation is poorer in these countries and is often believed to be the contributing factor of higher incidence of communicable diseases there. It was not unexpected that Covid-19 would have catastrophic consequences in the low and low-middle income countries," says Dr Shekhar Mande, director general of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).

India has a sixth of the world's population and a sixth of the reported cases. However, it accounts for only 10% of the world's deaths from the virus, and its case fatality rate or CFR, which measures deaths among Covid-19 patients, is less than 2%, which is among the lowest in the world.

Now, new research by Indian scientists suggests that low hygiene, lack of clean drinking water, and unsanitary conditions may have actually saved many lives from severe Covid-19.

2 hours ago, China said:

Now, new research by Indian scientists suggests that low hygiene, lack of clean drinking water, and unsanitary conditions may have actually saved many lives from severe Covid-19.

So, Trump's base really are protected?