Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Study: 1 in 5 grocery store workers have tested positive for COVID-19, most asymptomatic

While workers in all occupations are at risk from coronavirus, there are few who interact with as many people as grocery store workers. A concerning study finds one in five grocery store employees has tested positive for COVID-19. More importantly, researchers say most of these workers have no symptoms.

A team of researchers in the Boston area reveals these essential workers, particularly ones serving customers, are five times as likely to have COVID-19 than other employees. Of the 104 workers examined from a Boston grocery, 20 had a positive coronavirus test. Of that group, a staggering 76 percent were asymptomatic.

Before testing these grocery workers, the study also gave the employees a questionnaire on their lifestyles, medical histories, job histories, and roles in the store. The worked also supplied data on their commute and social distancing efforts as well. From this information, 91 percent of the workers with COVID-19 had jobs that involving interacting with customers.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

U.S. Shattered Records For New Coronavirus Cases This Week As Hospitalizations Climb

New coronavirus cases in the U.S. reached staggering highs this week, the second week in a row of record-breaking growth. Hospitalizations rose quickly, too, approaching levels that will soon eclipse the spring and summer peaks.

On Wednesday, the country recorded more than 100,000 cases in a single day, a threshold Dr. Anthony Fauci warned lawmakers the U.S. could reach if the virus was not driven down before winter.

By Thursday, cases had jumped even higher to more than 121,000 in one day. New U.S. cases are now up 55% over two weeks ago on average.

"Cases are going up exponentially in many different parts of the country," says Dr. Albert Ko, professor and department chair of Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases at the Yale School of Public Health.

The U.S. is now averaging more than 94,000 cases a day, double where it was a month ago.

Ko says it's not unreasonable to think the daily case count could double again, given the current trajectory of the U.S. outbreak.

The increases cannot be explained by more testing, says Anne Rimoin, professor of epidemiology at the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health and Infectious Disease Division of the Geffen School of Medicine.

"There's no indication that the number of cases will go down," she says. "These are true increases; it's not just due to more testing."

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 3

I signed up to get tested tomorrow morning; to see if the corona is still in me.   I was officially diagnosed on 10/24 and admitted that day. 

The previous weekend I did have a fever for a day but it was gone by end of up day.  I spent the next week coughing.  I probably was in denial. No, I don't have it though in reality I probable I had it for a week.   That Friday:10/23 , dialysis  order a chest x-ray. The nurse thought I had pneumonia. I got the x-ray.  I did have pneumonia.   My sister convinced to go to the hospital that night. They couldn't read the disc; so they took another x-ray and it was still pneumonia . They did the covid test and it was positive.

I was isolated in the separate room in the E.R.  Coughing, pneumonia. diarrhea, low oxygen and fever.  What pissed me off; I to use to a port a potty in the ****ing er.  Since I was covid; I couldn't go to the bathroom and they had to wheel in a porty a potty. I felt that was unsanity and let the management know that.  I didn't get a room until late Sat: 10/24 evening.

Spent my week.    Getting poked and prodded. They took my blood twice a day.  Gave me IV for resevemer.   Gave me pills.

One thing I learned, update one's medication list.  I was given medications that I no longer needed since I hadn't updated my medication list with the pharmacy.  I had switched insurance this year and pharmacy.  I went thru all the medications with my doctor earlier this year and was able to cut them in half.  

The hospital treated me well other than the first day.  Excellent care from both male and female nurses and cleaning staff. 

I applaud all those medical workers and cleaning staff.    How they deal with all that stress and especially with the patients dying.  I know my dad still gets sad when he has a patient that dies. 

I pray Joe will be able to get corona under control defeated.  I just hope we can survive the next couple of months before he takes over; it's going to be rough. 

I've been taking it easy this week; self quarantining.  Really  been boring this week. Only time out house was for dialysis or getting something to eat.

I am glad I got home health care for a month; to make sure I am doing okay.  I got a telehealth appt with my doctor on tuesday and I need to scheduled one with my lung doctor/sleep apea doctor.   Hopefully, the corona has been expelled; will know tomorrow. 

Where did I get it?  Either while going to the store or at someone dialysis; though they deny that.  They say the only person that had it was quarantined on seen on a separate day.  I don't think they would admit if one of their patients actually gave it to someone.  

I just hope not to get it again and will get that vaccine when it becomes available.  

For those of you who lost loved ones, I feel your pain. I mentioned a cousin overseas died from it.  

May there never be a pathetic response to a pandemic ever again and we know there will be pandemics in the future.  

If I get an instant result tomorrow; will let you all know. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Locally,this thing is running. 7 1/2% jump in positivity rate in about 2 months. Much of it,the past month. ! High School has shut down and other schools have either followed suit,or probably will.  The day care down the street suddenly closed 2 weeks ago. No doubt why with that. Then yesterday: 

The above tweet was roughly the same time a text message went out to all health care workers at that hospital and those in the area in general. They're asking for help in staffing. Things are getting real now here as well. Sigh. 

• Sad 3

On 6/20/2020 at 11:28 PM, Califan007 said:

Worldometer.com has been tracking daily new COVID cases since march 8th. That's 104 days worth of data.

Since March 8th, there have only been 9 days where over 33,000 new cases were reported. Just 9 days out of 104.

Two of those days were Friday and yesterday.

There has never been three straight days of 33,000+ new COVID cases. We've been averaging around 20K new cases on Sunday for the last month and a half.

I remember when I posted this at the end of June.

*sigh*... 😐