Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

9 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

It sure feels like we’re screwed.

We are buying a freezer for the garage and slowly stocking up. Nothing nutty, but just getting some extra frozen foods, canned goods, paper products, etc. with each shopping order over the next couple months. It just feels like something could be coming by early-2021 where there are stricter lockdowns, possible scarcity of products, etc. 

At worst, we have space for more ice cream next summer...but it can't ever hurt. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GoSkinsGo said:

My wife has once again been moved to off campus teaching as is her student pod. This is the third time in three months they have separated her pod waiting for a COVID test. Feeling at her school is they are going to full virtual very soon due to the new numbers. 

My county is opening up another grade (6th) in their phasing in student attendance. They see numbers of infection going up in the county but have decided to "stay the course." 

5 minutes ago, youngestson said:

My county is opening up another grade (6th) in their phasing in student attendance. They see numbers of infection going up in the county but have decided to "stay the course." 

It’s kind of crazy, she works at a private school so they implement their own stuff. The full virtual is a last resort for them as they opened hybrid well before anyone else and it’s kind of a sign of defeat. They were just talking about bringing more grades back on campus. 

Middle of the country:

COVID-19 comes to Cuba, Mo., and hardly anyone is wearing a mask

Missouri kept breaking coronavirus records this week, but it was hard to notice in rural areas like this one near the center of the Show-Me State.

As usual, buyers and sellers gathered inside a small, half dome at the Interstate Regional Stockyards to compete for the best cattle prices. The market played out amid the loud call of an auctioneer, and the occasional slap of the knee or cough that could signal another high bid for a calf. 

At one point Tuesday afternoon, 35 people sat in the audience, some at a distance, others in groups. No one, including the employees, wore masks to potentially slow the spread of COVID-19.

They support Republican Gov. Mike Parson’s view of freedom on the matter. They trust people to stay home who don’t feel well or to quarantine if they’ve been exposed to the virus.

“It’s not like in St. Louis,” said Scott Abolt, owner of the auction. “We are all friends and family. We work together. We go to church together, and we watch out for each other. That’s what it’s all about.”

Even still, there’s a sense of the inevitable.

“We all feel like we are all going to catch it before it’s over with,” said Abolt.

5fad752d69baa.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

Customers shop at Mace Supermarket in Cuba, Mo. on Tuesday, Nov. 10, 2020. Masks are optional. Most customers and employees decline to wear them. 

Even though it still can be hard to see the toll in this town of 3,400 people, the coronavirus has arrived in Cuba, 85 miles southwest of St. Louis. There have been 10 deaths and nearly 900 cases in the broader area of Crawford County, including 130 cases in the past seven days.  

For the first time, Cuba public schools were closed all week to in-class learning, students said.

Click on the link for the full article

• Confused 2

A gym trainer exposed 50 athletes to COVID-19, but no one got sick — because one member is a ventilation expert who redesigned the room's layout

By the time a coach at a Virginia gym tested positive for COVID-19 after a week of leading classes in early October, at least 50 athletes had been exposed to potentially contagious particles.

For most gyms, that would be a nightmare scenario. But not a single other person at this trainer's gym, 460 Fitness, was infected.

That's because, unlike most gyms, they had an edge against the coronavirus: One of their members is Dr. Linsey Marr, a world-renowned expert on aerosol transmission at Virginia Tech, specializing in how the coronavirus and similar pathogens travel through the air.

Marr, who describes herself on Twitter as an "intellectual omnivore and avid recreational athlete," worked with gym owner Velvet Minnick throughout the summer to ensure the high-intensity, CrossFit-style workouts there were as safe as possible for athletes and trainers.

3b55820cb7754eed7ef17b03295e699d

She told Insider that good airflow, proper planning, and plenty of social distance make all the difference in helping to ensure enthusiasm is the only thing that's contagious at the gym.

• Like 1

COVID-19 is so bad in Wisconsin, DHS needed a whole new category

MADISON, Wis. (WMTV) - The spread of COVID-19 across Wisconsin is off the charts, literally.

So many counties are so far past the Dept. of Health Services' highest classification for case activity, that it needed to create a brand new category. And, although its minimum cutoff is nearly three times higher than the old top category:

Nearly every Wisconsin county surpassed that threshold.

The entire state too.

In fact, DHS numbers show Wisconsin’s case activity exceeded the minimum by over 30 percent.

“Far too many of our communities are in a dire situation,” DHS Deputy Secretary Julie Willems Van Dijk said. “To put these new data in perspective, Wisconsin is now seeing more average cases per day than New York City did at the peak of its surge last spring.”

To be considered for the previous top category, “Very High,” a region’s case rate would have to surpass 350 cases per 100,000 residents over the previous two weeks. Every single one of Wisconsin’s 72 counties has at least doubled that number, with Washburn Co. reporting the lowest rate in the state at 769.6 cases per 100,000 people.

OQCW7QXM4JAWNCBIHFL3BLHDZE.png

Black market for negative COVID-19 tests pops up across the globe

A black market for negative COVID-19 tests has popped up across the globe as more countries require travelers to prove their negative status before entering, a report said Wednesday.

In France, seven people were arrested last week for allegedly hawking doctored coronavirus tests at Charles de Gaulle International Airport, the Associated Press reported. The suspects, who were not identified, were charging up to $360 for the fake tests.

Authorities tracked the ring down after finding a man bound for Ethiopia with a fake test, according to the report. The alleged scammers face up to five years in prison if convicted.

In South America, Brazilian officials arrested four tourists who gave fake tests after they flew into an island chain off the coast of the country that requires travelers to show negative test results.

In England, a man told a local newspaper that he was able to travel to Pakistan by using a friend’s negative COVID-19 test and changing his name.

“You can simply get their negative test and change the name and birthdate to your own. You also put a test date on which is within the time limit required,” the man, who didn’t want to be named, told the Lancashire Telegraph.

“You download the email, change it and then print it,” said.

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

50K cases per day hit on Oct 2.  

100K cases per day hit on Nov 4.

150K cases per day hit on Nov 12.

Any guesses for 200K?

At that rate I'd say 200K by Nov 20th.

12 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Nov 20

I see we're thinking the same thing.

Anecdotally... I work virtually with a good amount of people from all over the country (probably 50+ on a near-daily basis, with one degree of separation from hundreds). I’ve heard of a LOT of covid infections in the past week or two, after only a handful within my work sphere the previous 6mo. One of the VPs I work with has been out for a week and a half, struggling with it. His wife is having a lot of breathing issues. My manager and his girlfriend are presumed positives. Another two people I work directly with have come down sick this week and are getting tested. 

• Sad 1

I was thinking the 15th for 200k...

I found out this afternoon at work that the building beside mine has three positives. The first positive came from a group of right-wing nutters in shipping that weren't wearing masks. Surprise, surprise. Then it spread to the other two people.

Edited by Metalhead
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Metalhead said:

I was thinking the 15th for 200k...

FYI, if you look at the trends, the numbers always drop off on the weekends (I assume it's a reporting thing due to lower staffing on weekends).  The 15th is a Sunday.  The numbers will still lag on Monday due to weekend reporting and then jump on Tuesday the 17th.  So in all likelihood the earliest the 200K mark will hit will be Tuesday the 17th.

• Sad 1