Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

3 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

The more successful vaccines, the better. 

I do wonder how long it will take to give the vaccine to the entire world. I read some of the poorer countries may not get a vaccine until as late as 2023.

I think some of our companies should collaborate with the Serum Institute of India.  They can produce vaccines quickly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/coronavirus-vaccine-india-serum-institute/2020/11/10/bbd7509c-0fb0-11eb-bfcf-b1893e2c51b4_story.html

So...my wife has been symptomatic with covid for 14 days now and tested positive 5 days ago. She's had a lingering cough, fatigue, shortness of breath and loss of smell but is slowly coming back around. I'm certain she's going to be fine at this point but she's just getting annoyed by how long it's taking. Overall though she's in good spirits and intends to work from home today as usual. Stephanie seems fine. 

I'm worried for myself though, maybe for no reason? I have had bouts of runny nose and congestion last weekend and the weekend before that, with lessened lung capacity and one night of gastrointestinal stuff but have tested negative twice in that time. We weren't distanced at all in the 9 days before she tested positive, just went about life like nothing was wrong. 

The scary possibility is, of course, that any day now the virus is going to sneak up on me. Part of me wished for a positive test this morning so I could stop thinking about it. But the nurse who gave me the last test said I should go in to check for antibodies on Thursday if I'm asymptomatic. The thought from my doctor's office is that it's possibly a mild case that's been cleared out to the point that it's not showing up. My best guess is that my wife was exposed 18 days ago, meaning I've been in close quarters with the virus for just as long. So I guess we'll see what the antibody test says.

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Bacon said:

So...my wife has been symptomatic with covid for 14 days now and tested positive 5 days ago. She's had a lingering cough, fatigue, shortness of breath and loss of smell but is slowly coming back around. I'm certain she's going to be fine at this point but she's just getting annoyed by how long it's taking. Overall though she's in good spirits and intends to work from home today as usual. Stephanie seems fine.

Thanks for that edit, my heart jumped into my throat. 

You're all in my thoughts. 

2 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Thanks for that edit, my heart jumped into my throat. 

You're all in my thoughts. 

She's been so OK that I didn't think to mention her at first. lol There were a few days early/mid last week when she was coughing and sneezing a bit but I haven't heard either from her in a while. 

I've kept to a really strict regimen this past week. Multivitamins, zinc and zyrtec in the morning, a little aerobic exercise to check up on my lungs, daily sunlight for vitamin D and at least an hour of walking. We also invested in a pulse oximeter because my wife's breathing was shallow and that has been helpful. 

• Like 1

Navajo Nation orders new three-week stay-at-home lockdown

WINDOW ROCK, Ariz. (AP) — The Navajo Nation on Monday will reinstate a stay-home lockdown order for the entire reservation while closing tribal offices and requiring new closures and safety measures for businesses due to rising COVID-19 cases.

Tribal officials announced Friday night that the lockdown order goes into effect Monday for a three-week period. A previously ordered 56-hour weekend curfew began Friday night.

Much of the Navajo Nation was closed between March and August as the coronavirus swept through the vast reservation that covers parts of Arizona, New Mexico and Utah.

Tribal health officials on Wednesday warned residents of new "uncontrolled spread" of COVID-19 in 34 reservation communities.

3 hours ago, Bacon said:

I'm worried for myself though, maybe for no reason?

It’s not for no reason but keep yourself in check. The news on covid is bad but the way we’re reacting and consuming and dwelling on that news isn’t reflective of the individual probability. 

just monitor your systems and keep your doctor informed and take it easy. Worry about what’s actually happening not what may happen. 

Edited by tshile

Thanksgiving Is Less Than 2 Weeks Away, and the Entire Continental US Is Trending Poorly on COVID-19

Ahead of Thanksgiving, public health officials have expressed concern that the holiday will contribute to a surge in new coronavirus cases. Now, with Thanksgiving still about two weeks away, the country is already seeing those fears actualize.

According to the nonpartisan data tracking project COVID Exit Strategy, every state in the contiguous United States is either “trending poorly” or has an “uncontrolled spread” of coronavirus cases. And with a lack of leadership on COVID at the national level, the rest of the year isn’t looking so good either. Here’s the most recent map:

Screen-Shot-2020-11-14-at-11.29.04-AM-e1

This is a notable downtrend. Just earlier this week, Vermont was “trending better”:

Screen-Shot-2020-11-14-at-11.33.04-AM-e1

Here’s what the map looked like two months ago:

Screen-Shot-2020-11-14-at-11.43.54-AM-e1

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 2

There's No Denying The Evidence: Restaurants And Bars Are Helping Spread COVID-19

The hospitality sector’s protests around the world over bans on their activities, limiting them at best to selling takeaways, contrasts with the scientific evidence: well-meaning restaurant and bar owners insist they have complied scrupulously with health and safety measures, but there is no getting away from the fact that a business where people must remove their masks in order to eat or drink, has increased infection rates.

At the aggregate level, the first study to portray the obvious correlation between restaurant openings and the spread of COVID-19 was published in June by Johns Hopkins University, using data on credit card spending by 30 million customers in the United States and correlating it to the evolution of the pandemic in each state. The relationship was clear: the more spending on restaurants, the greater the number of infections.

That study was followed by another, carried out by Stanford University and published on November 10. Using a very different methodology, the outcome was nevertheless the same: researchers tracked the smartphones of more than 98 million people between March and May, taking into account the number of times their subjects went to restaurants, gyms and hotels, and concluding that if restaurants were authorized to open at full capacity, they would be responsible for more than 600,000 infections in a city like Chicago, and that, in addition, the distribution was irregular and impossible to predict: 10% of the premises were responsible for 85% of the expected infections.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

^^Comments like this that make me think how these assholes would have reacted during WWII when all Americans were asked to sacrifice & ration for the good of the country. It also makes me miss my parents who lived during that time (my Father dropping out of HS to serve in the Navy in the South Pacific). So **** you, Gym. 

• Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

^^Comments like this that make me think how these assholes would have reacted during WWII when all Americans were asked to sacrifice & ration for the good of the country. It also makes me miss my parents who lived during that time (my Father dropping out of HS to serve in the Navy in the South Pacific). So **** you, Gym. 

My grandparents told me the stories, too...Dad-Dad was a Navy pilot (and pretty much the reason I went in).  Everything done and said was for/about the war, and it was a collective effort... what we need to be doing now about covid. 

Saving lives (now) = not speaking German (then).

• Like 1