Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

47 minutes ago, China said:

No, but you could reduce it.  People would go other places to get items they would normally get from big box retailers and restaurants, still spreading infection.  So it would drop from 45%, but not entirely.

Well, I assume they replace WalMart with Amazon, and dine-in restaurants with takeout. 

Seems like a really trivial "sacrifice". For such a huge payout?  It's sure a trade off I'd make. Don't have to think about it much. 

27 minutes ago, Larry said:

Well, I assume they replace WalMart with Amazon, and dine-in restaurants with takeout. 

Seems like a really trivial "sacrifice". For such a huge payout?  It's sure a trade off I'd make. Don't have to think about it much. 

I take it you've missed the news over the last 6 months where people have been protesting the closure of restaurants, churches, gyms and having to where a mask?  Yes, it's a trivial sacrifice to rational people like ourselves, but there are a lot of ignorant, irrational people who won't and haven't been cooperating

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Makes me wonder the makeup of that percentage, how many are workers vs. shoppers?  I'd imagine the likelihood of contracting the virus is much greater for those who work in big box stores and restaurants vs. shopping and dining.

I would tend to agree with this part. I,unfortunately,work in a big box store. They're pretty wide open in general and even where I work,there is still a large percentage of masks being worn,(we still have maskless wonders who show up but I keep my distance).  However,the average break room and training room for these stores can be small and social distancing is tough or somewhat ignored and masks are optional.  Add to that,many at my store don't buy in to the Covid-19 thing and act accordingly in the areas described and away from the store.  I'm sure this is something that is common in most of these stores.   Costco is an exception as they have a larger area for employees and they seem to do what they can in their break rooms and such.  All it would take is one positive for Covid-19 to spend time in our little room at the right time and next thing you know there's an outbreak. 

• Like 1

And the "worker risk vs customer" discussion is a good one, too.  

Remember when retail was closed down, how badly Amazon workers got hit?  

Still, I gotta figure that replacing Big Box with Amazon is a big net win, for infection control.  

28 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Trump claiming COVID package after election.  He does realize that a "blue wave" scenario would mean theres little motivation for Dems to make a deal.

As usual, talk of things to come that never materialize:

Infrastructure Week

Tax Breaks for the Middleclass days before the midterm elections 

Senior Discount Drug cards a month before the election

...and on & on & on

i thought this was going to be an article from The Onion. No worries, people, they say it's over. 

White House Declares Pandemic Over As It Cites Renowned Scientist Ivanka Trump

The Trump administration triumphantly declared victory over the coronavirus pandemic on Tuesday, one week before the 2020 election and with COVID-19 cases surging across the county.

The lie came in a news release on a new 62-page report from the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy listing what it claims are the scientific and technological accomplishments during President Donald Trump’s first term. The list includes, “ENDING THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC.”

Among other White House officials, Tuesday’s release includes a quote from Ivanka Trump, the president’s daughter and adviser who has zero training or background as a scientific expert.

“Over the past four years, President Trump’s policies and investments in science and technology ensure America stands ready to solve today’s most pressing challenges and that our workforce is prepared for tomorrow’s innovations,” Ivanka Trump said. “For years to come, these achievements will guarantee the United States remains the world’s leader in research, discovery and the advancement of industries that will shape our future.”

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/white-house-science-reporting-ending-pandemic-185543473.html

46 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Trump claiming COVID package after election.  He does realize that a "blue wave" scenario would mean theres little motivation for Dems to make a deal.

Little reason for DEMS to deal?  If the GOP loses, they will instantly oppose any and all efforts to make the country better in any way.  And begin working on their midterm election campaighs in which they will claim they should be restored to power, since Biden didn't fix the mess he inherited quickly enough.  

(Just like they did to Obama)  

13 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

As usual, talk of things to come that never materialize:

Infrastructure Week

Tax Breaks for the Middleclass days before the midterm elections 

Senior Discount Drug cards a month before the election

...and on & on & on

His taxes.

A healthcare plan.  

(Also wondering.  Does the GOP repeal Obamacare the day after the election?  Or sit back and wait for the SC to do it?  I'm thinking the latter.  Makes it easier to dodge the fact that they have no intention of replacing it with anything.)  

• Like 1

Russia Approves Second Covid-19 Vaccine Before Phase 3 Trial

Russian health authorities approved a Covid-19 vaccine created by a former biological weapons research laboratory for public use, marking the second time the Kremlin has bypassed accepted scientific protocol as it tries to field a defense against the pandemic.

A vaccine developed by the Vector State Virology and Biotechnology Center in Siberia has been registered, President Vladimir Putin said in televised comments Wednesday.

“We need to increase production of our first and now our second vaccine,” Putin said. “First of all we should supply the domestic market.” Russia will also work with foreign partners to boost output, he said.

Vector’s drug was registered before completing Phase 3 trials, two months after Putin announced approval of Sputnik V as the world’s first coronavirus vaccine. Even so, Deputy Prime Minister Tatyana Golikova said it is safe and the first 60,000 doses will be produced soon. She told Putin she had already tried the vaccine and not suffered any side effects.

The development comes as Putin seeks to play a leading role in battling the global pandemic that has hit Russia particularly hard. Sputnik V’s developer says more than 50 countries have expressed interest in the vaccine, with orders for 1.2 billion doses since it was registered by Russian regulators in August.

A third vaccine, developed by Moscow’s Chumakov Federal Scientific Center, may be registered by December, Golikova said at the meeting with Putin. Phase 2 clinical trials begin Oct. 19, she said.

Click on the link for the full article

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

Why isn't CNN covering all the good coronavirus news?

Reminds me of a fundraiser years ago held for Tom Delay while he was under indictment for multiple crimes, and there was a supporter up there giving a speech and she was essentially talking about all the laws Tom Delay hasn't broken and was complaining about how the media never reports on those

Edited by mistertim
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

Why isn't CNN covering all the good coronavirus news?

like the 85%* decrease in death rate 😂

* stat provided by trump during last debate and I have not verified it’s correct or even close to correct. 

Everything's bigger in Texas:

Texas overtakes California with most coronavirus infections

It’s a race neither side wants any part of. California and Texas – America’s two largest states by population – are steadily moving closer to 1 million coronavirus infections each.

Tracking data shows that a deadly autumn surge that health officials have been warning about is now underway, blamed in part on Americans tired of wearing masks and practicing social distancing.

The average number of new cases per day in the U.S. has soared more than 40% over the past two weeks, from around 49,000 to about 70,000. Deaths per day have climbed from about 700 to almost 800, according to the Associated Press.

As of Tuesday, both the New York Times and NBC News tracking data showed Texas with about 3,000 more cases than California, moving ahead for the first time. NYT has the confirmed figures at 915,000 cases in California and 918,000 in Texas.

Police will enter homes and break up Christmas dinners if families break lockdown rules - and there will be riots, predicts police commissioner

Police chiefs have warned that Christmas family celebrations will be broken up by officers if they flout lockdown rules.

David Jamieson, the West Midlands police and crime commissioner, said officers will investigate reports of rule-breaking over the festive period.

The West Midlands are currently under Tier 2 restrictions, meaning people cannot mix with any other households or bubbles inside.

Mr Jamieson told The Telegraph: 'If we think there's large groups of people gathering where they shouldn't be, then police will have to intervene. If, again, there's flagrant breaking of the rules, then the police would have to enforce.

The police chief also warned about the upcoming Hanukkah and Diwali celebrations which will also see families eager to gather inside, contrary to the rules in certain areas.

Mr Jamieson said he fears civil unrest could boil over in the West Midlands in the near future, with the end of the furlough scheme 'very likely' to push people over the edge.  

He said: 'We're sitting on a time bomb here. We're getting very near the stage where you could see a considerable explosion of frustration and energy. Things are very on the edge in a lot of communities and it wouldn't take very much to spark off unrest, riots, damage.' 

3 hours ago, bcl05 said:

Damnit.  The idiot-in-chief just announced a super-spreader rally in my town for Friday.  I expect our case numbers to go up (even more - they've been rising too fast) in the next few weeks.  

I sympathize. President Spread A Lot has had to Covid parties in the area in the past 6 1/2 weeks. 1st one was 12 September. All 3 counties near this super spread party are experiencing spikes and all time high in case positivity rates at the present time. No doubt that it helped in that area.  Second one was about 2 weeks ago. We'll see.  Sigh. 

This holiday season is going to be fun...

Canadian Thanksgiving could be a cautionary tale for Americans amid coronavirus surge

TORONTO — As the holiday season approaches amid a surge in novel coronavirus cases across the United States, a Thanksgiving-related spike in Canada could serve as a cautionary tale.

Case counts in much of Canada are climbing, even in parts of the country that imposed new autumn restrictions. Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving on the second Monday of October, and both provincial and federal officials have pointed to the holiday as a culprit in the spike.

“In some areas we are learning that gathering during the Thanksgiving weekend contributed to the elevated case counts we are seeing today,” Howard Njoo, Canada’s deputy chief public health officer, told reporters Tuesday in Ottawa. “Our actions matter.”