Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

My best friend who I was with all last Saturday tested positive Friday morning so I got tested on Friday and my gf did as well. Hoping to get my results back today or tomorrow. I’ve had a cold all week. Cough, slight body aches, slight headache all week and now congestion the last 2 days. All been pretty mild so I’m hoping it’s just a lingering cold. My girl who lives with me has had no symptoms so we’ve been apart from each other best we can in the apartment until we get the results. Hoping for the best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Hang in there. After this is over, I'd love to hear more details about your experience.

If you're looking for details, I can provide some long ones (I've done it before), though medically, the diagnosis I was given was bronchitis/pneumonia, and it preceded the onset of CovidMania by about 3 and a half to 4 weeks. I hardly ever get sick, but when I do, it's bad. Real bad. And this was worse than anything I've ever faced in my life.

1st day - Loss of taste/smell (worse than the usual kind associated with a regular cold. You literally taste nor smell NOTHING. It feels like a sort of functioning paralysis for your senses. It makes you feel unbalanced. But I'm a tough, stupidly hardheaded guy, so I soldier on, thinking this will blow over like bad colds usually do.

2nd day- I go to the gym for standard run and lift, which usually leaves me drenched and maxed out by the end, but this time, things were a bit different. Felt a bit dizzy. By the time I made it to my car, I felt like a got hit by a truck (I've been hit by a car, so I feel pretty good gauging the pain threshold). Was barely able to drive home. When I stumble thru the door, my immediate thought is Flu, so I mask up (didn't have to learn this from Fauci, my mother started her career as a nurse, and I have absorbed that knowledge). Isolation starts.

3rd day - I wake up hot, sweaty (Now I think I have a fever) along with the previous days symptoms (still felt like a truck hit me). So I go to the Dr. They claim I have bronchitis/pneumonia, but seem conflicted on how to treat it, because it has "Bizarre characteristics." They send me home with no meds. Tell me to eat broth and hydrate.

4th day - I wake up with all previous symptoms, but now I have a cough so brutal I can only liken it to razor blades in your throat and chest, to the point where coughing TORTURES you, like you wanna just put a bullet in your head. And now I cant breathe, overcome with runaway phlegm... Just breathing in and out is like being underwater. "**** this ****" mode kicks in, and  I go to the Pharmacy and buy everything that isnt nailed down. Cough drops, anti fever, hbp meds to keep the heat down, compresses, nasal relief, tissues, vitamins, Gatorade (for hydration, which was also becoming an issue).

5th day - I've stabilized, but a lesser version of all symptoms remain for another few days, before finally subsiding. They remained (in some form or fashion, each rearing their head at different times) for WEEKS. And the razor blade cough was the last to go. That? Lasted for a full month. And it took several months for me to physically feel like my old self again. No trouble breathing, and no respiratory related fatigue or weird aches. Sense of smell and taste returned too. I was coughing up the type of **** only seen in a Ghostbusters movie, dude :ols:. But I'm good now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Thanks @Mr. Sinister

I thought I recall you saying that you had it in some fashion early on. I get really interested in what people go through with this. As much for myself as anything.

Like right now, I have had a tad bit of a sore throat for a couple days and a little lump in the back that I’d expect with an oncoming cold. Also it feels like “something” is going on with my lungs like I could possibly cough somehow, but I can take deep breaths and don’t really feel out of breath. No fever, watching my pulse O2 and no issues. So I doubt it’s anything.

With most people, I feel like Covid is a “you’ll know when you get it” type thing but there’s others who test positive who experience no symptoms. How does one know if they have a “mild” case?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Springfield said:

With most people, I feel like Covid is a “you’ll know when you get it” type thing but there’s others who test positive who experience no symptoms. How does one know if they have a “mild” case?

You get tested.  If you're positive for COVID and you have mild symptoms then you have a "mild" case.  Also helpful, because then you can be sure to quarantine yourself so as not to expose others.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, China said:

You get tested.  If you're positive for COVID and you have mild symptoms then you have a "mild" case.  Also helpful, because then you can be sure to quarantine yourself so as not to expose others.

I think that’s a great idea, but most places (at least in VA) won’t test people without symptoms or a contact trace. It’s obviously not a strategy being pushed by the federal government. So should a person who fees a little “off” just lie?

Edited by Springfield

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

I think that’s a great idea, but most places (at least in VA) won’t test people without symptoms or a contact trace. It’s obviously not a strategy being pushed by the federal government. So should a person who fees a little “off” just lie?

You can go to Preston's pharmacy in Arlington, just make an appointment, it's easy, quick and you don't have to have symptoms or contact tracing requirements.  I'm sure there are other places like that as well.

19 minutes ago, China said:

You can go to Preston's pharmacy in Arlington, just make an appointment, it's easy, quick and you don't have to have symptoms or contact tracing requirements.  I'm sure there are other places like that as well.

As well as CVS locations in Virgnia. No symptoms needed. Here's a link to find locations:

https://cvshealth.com/covid-19/testing-locations

Side note: My wife & I returned from out of the country via Miami on February 20th. About 4 days later she was laid up with a nasty cold/flu, coughing like she's never coughed. It finally went away after a couple of weeks. Fast forward - last week she went to get the antibodies test to see if she had Covid. Got the negative results on Friday. Just a bad case of the 2020 flu.