Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

8 hours ago, Bacon said:

Everyone was mocking the IHME model until it started to change course. I can't take it seriously any more today than I could then.

Meanwhile, the US reported more recoveries than new cases for the first time in the entire pandemic

Deaths also dropped by 30% from where they were last Tuesday. 

To me, this makes no sense.

It was incredibly easy to tell that the IHME model was WAYYYYYYYYY off in its predictions, which played a gigantic role in any ridicule the model received. We were sitting at around 60,000 deaths at the end of April and IHME was still predicting 74,000 deaths by August 4th? Seriously? Yes, there was a range from like 56,000 to 200,000 or whatever the numbers were, but government policy was being formed based on the actual predicted number and not the range. And that number has gone from 60K to 74K to 137K to 147K in about 3 weeks. Meanwhile, epidemiologists who were already predicting 150K or more deaths 3 weeks ago were criticized for fear-mongering.

The reason these latest predictions aren't ridiculed is that they seem far more realistic. The more realistic the prediction, the less ridicule. The methodology IHME uses may have changed to those used by most epidemiologists, which if so would explain the rapid change in predictions. I'm hoping you're not suggesting that people are wanting to believe the worse or are being manipulated into it which has lead to ridiculing more positive predictions. That would be incredibly shallow thinking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So Trump,Brix,and others are essentially trying to minipulate the death numbers,(probably case numbers too),according to tweets posted on the previous page. Suspect this is happening already in a few states and counties as well. Good to know we cant even trust totals we see coming our now. Cripes what a **** show. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, PCS said:

So Trump,Brix,and others are essentially trying to minipulate the death numbers,(probably case numbers too),according to tweets posted on the previous page. Suspect this is happening already in a few states and counties as well. Good to know we cant even trust totals we see coming our now. Cripes what a **** show. 

Of course they are going to manipulate the numbers.

What will matter is the reality of the situation in the states that will decide the election. They can fudge the numbers but people still see high deaths where they live and hospitals being overwhelmed ; Trump can't hide that.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, PCS said:

IIRC Florida has already been trying to fudge numbers by doing things like telling medical people not to count deaths of people who got it in Florida, died of it in Florida, but weren't Florida residents, among other shady **** like pushing to not release death numbers for covid-19 patients due to some sort of "privacy" concern. It's all such blatant bull****. 

I remember looking at the worldometers site a couple of days back and seeing that the number of covid-19 cases in Florida had spiked by almost 1,000 but there were only something like 20 new deaths. I found that highly dubious.

As far as Trump, I think we all knew this was coming. It's been his M.O. for some time now and we've seen it play out with every new scandal or revelation that comes out. Lie, get called out, pivot to another lie, get called out, pivot to another lie, get called out, and then finally simply deny reality itself, usually by calling it fake news.

I think there's about a 95% chance that as the death toll continues to climb Trump will eventually go further and further in that direction until he's literally calling new deaths fake news. He'll also probably start saying the death toll is being manipulated by the Deep State as a plot against him. If you look at his twitter rants he's going more and more down those "everything is a conspiracy to mess up my election chances" rabbit holes by the minute, and the right wing outlets are feeding it. 

He's losing whatever marbles he may have had left at this point. God help us all. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Don and Birx are late to the party, as his genius followers have already 'outed' the doctors, hospitals, etc. for inflating the death toll for profit.  They've been on this tangent for weeks.  At this point, literally the only thing that will help them to lose steam will be for the virus to start infecting them and their families and friends in rural america.  Even then, the kool aid is so powerful that they will find reasons why even that's not a big deal.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

See how fake that is when folks are dying in their hotel rooms this summer.

Yeah if Trump starts calling covid-19 deaths fake he's going to be in Sandy Hook Truther territory but times tens of thousands. It's one thing to rant about the "deep state" being out to get him via impeachment, etc...it's a whole different ballgame when he basically starts calling the deaths of peoples' mothers, fathers, husbands, wives, friends, etc fake.

I have no clue how much of a blowback would actually happen. Probably none on Fox news (though who knows, if they start losing sponsors it could happen). But I could see the potential for some Republican lawmakers, especially in the Senate, to denounce it. He's already dragging them down now in their upcoming elections; I'd imagine that calling their voters' losses of family members fake would be pretty unpopular. 

I wonder if pushing something like that could actually get him banned from Twitter. I know it's a long shot, but isn't that the sort of stuff Alex Jones was eventually banned for?

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

See how fake that is when folks are dying in their hotel rooms this summer.

They will blame it on Obama or China and say its a conspiracy. I mean, they already think we are eating babies in pizza shop basements. The ones who are too smart to believe that will just say "Well no one is going to agree anyway" and avoid the conversation and vote for him. This is how it works now I know we all have experienced it in some form or another. 

Michigan anti-lockdown protesters spread COVID-19 to rural areas, Whitmer tells Pence in leaked call

Some protesters who descended on the Michigan state capitol to demand the state reopen the economy in spite of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic have spread infections in rural areas where they live, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer told Vice President Mike Pence in a recorded phone conversation obtained by ABC News.

Whitmer, a Democrat, asked Pence to discourage the demonstrations after the state's data suggested the protesters brought COVID-19 back to their rural communities.

"We have seen from initial protests here is that we've got COVID-19 spreading in rural parts of our state, from which people traveled," Whitmer reportedly told Pence.

Whitmer added that the alarming trend could derail the state's plans to begin reopening.

"And so, our ability to move on to the next phase and keep re-engaging our economy — I'm just concerned about it," Whitmer said. "We're going to keep watching those numbers and doing the tests."

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

COVID-19 Task Force: Des Moines is Hotbed for New Cases

DES MOINES, Iowa — An unreleased report from the White House puts Des Moines on the map as one of the top ten hotbeds for COVID-19 in the country.

NBC News reportedly obtained undisclosed data the White House is using to track rates of infection of the coronavirus. 

The report issued May 7 shows COVID-19 cases increasing by 1,467 from the previous seven days in Des Moines. That is a 94.3% increase. That ranks Des Moines eighth out of ten cities nationwide in increased rate of cases, according to the data.

According to the data reported by the White House Coronavirus Task Force, the ten top areas recorded surges of 72.4 percent or greater over a seven-day period compared to the previous week. They include Nashville, Tennessee; Des Moines, Iowa; Amarillo, Texas; and — atop the list, with a 650 percent increase — Central City, Kentucky.

Click on the link for the full article

25 minutes ago, Llevron said:

They will blame it on Obama or China and say its a conspiracy. I mean, they already think we are eating babies in pizza shop basements. The ones who are too smart to believe that will just say "Well no one is going to agree anyway" and avoid the conversation and vote for him. This is how it works now I know we all have experienced it in some form or another. 

Ya, I think there's some correlation to his disintegrating support among seniors.  It's hard to scoff at this when there's a ventilator down your throat versus someone else.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I know we all have experienced it in some form or another. 

One good side-effect of self-isolation has been that I have only had one interaction with a MAGA person since February.  He's my good friends cousin and actually a really nice person, but hardcore MAGA.  Via text, he stated that the media has dramatically overblown the impact of the virus, including inflating the infection and death totals, to ensure Trump loses.  

My response was that he was just jealous because his side doesn't have the balls to voluntarily shut down the entire economy for months even though they hated Obama and, even if they did, they don't control enough of it to matter.  

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I wonder if pushing something like that could actually get him banned from Twitter. I know it's a long shot, but isn't that the sort of stuff Alex Jones was eventually banned for?

I am 100% certain that conversation is having as we speak.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/11/tech/twitter-coronavirus-misinformation/index.html

Twitter says it will label misleading coronavirus tweets — even if they're from Trump

Twitter said Monday it plans to put labels and warning messages on some tweets that contain disputed or misleading information related to Covid-19, even if it's tweeted by President Donald Trump.

Twitter (TWTR) announced in March that it would remove Covid-19 tweets that could cause a "direct risk to people's health or well-being." Starting Monday, it will use labels and warning messages "to provide additional explanations or clarifications in situations where the risks of harm associated with a Tweet are less severe but where people may still be confused or misled by the content."
Trump, possibly Twitter's most prolific user, will also be subject to the rules, according to Yoel Roth, Twitter's head of site integrity.

"These labels will apply to anyone sharing misleading information that meets the requirements of our policy, including world leaders," Roth wrote in a tweet Monday in response to a question about how the policy would apply to Trump and other elected officials.

• Like 1

Has anyone here gotten the antibody test?  Just heard on the junkies this morning that you can do it at labcorp for $10.

My wife and I are going to sign up for one.  Back in March before we went to St. Thomas she had a fever for like 3 days, then I had one off and on for like over a week, extending into when I first landed in St. Thomas.  It wasn't high but was like 100.5 - 100.9.  But it would go away then come back a day later or every 12 hours or so.  Was very odd.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

One good side-effect of self-isolation has been that I have only had one interaction with a MAGA person since February.  He's my good friends cousin and actually a really nice person, but hardcore MAGA.  Via text, he stated that the media has dramatically overblown the impact of the virus, including inflating the infection and death totals, to ensure Trump loses.  

My response was that he was just jealous because his side doesn't have the balls to voluntarily shut down the entire economy for months even though they hated Obama and, even if they did, they don't control enough of it to matter.  

Im curious to know how he responded to that lol. Im sure thats not what he was expecting. 

Unfortunately for me our work is considered essential (I say unfortunately, but I only mean it in the sense that I have to interact with these people. Its actually been a benefit to us financially. I feel bad saying that but its true) so I have to work with my MAGA office homies every day and they frequently blether on about how you can tell the liberals because they drive with face masks and gloves on, and how they dont know a single person who got it besides of course the people in our office who got it and why we are running at 3% capacity, and how no one is ever going to agree on the science anyway so it doesnt matter. 

I remain silent because I still plan to use these people to my own advantage one day. But damn if I dont want to waste my time telling them all the ways they are wrong. I envy you in that sense. 

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

Im curious to know how he responded to that lol. Im sure thats not what he was expecting. 

It was on a big group text, so my response had the effect of causing 10 other dudes to laugh at him.  Probably not what he was expecting, but he knows me well enough to know that I was trying to get under his skin, so he didn't take the bait.  As an aside, I have a sizable bet with him on the outcome of the presidential election.  

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

Unfortunately for me our work is considered essential (I say unfortunately, but I only mean it in the sense that I have to interact with these people. Its actually been a benefit to us financially. I feel bad saying that but its true) so I have to work with my MAGA office homies every day and they frequently blether on about how you can tell the liberals because they drive with face masks and gloves on, and how they dont know a single person who got it besides of course the people in our office who got it and why we are running at 3% capacity, and how no one is ever going to agree on the science anyway so it doesnt matter. 

I remain silent because I still plan to use these people to my own advantage one day. But damn if I dont want to waste my time telling them all the ways they are wrong. I envy you in that sense. 

I feel for you.  Hope it ends up being extremely worth it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Has anyone here gotten the antibody test?  Just heard on the junkies this morning that you can do it at labcorp for $10.

My wife and I are going to sign up for one.  Back in March before we went to St. Thomas she had a fever for like 3 days, then I had one off and on for like over a week, extending into when I first landed in St. Thomas.  It wasn't high but was like 100.5 - 100.9.  But it would go away then come back a day later or every 12 hours or so.  Was very odd.

Considering it, wife and I were down for the count from something that failed the flu and cold test in December, they called it a winter virus, had no idea what it was.

@CousinsCowgirl84 keeping conversation honest, mom was able to get the regular foot long in your nose test and antibody test this morning.  Couple days off results, but told my dad it was $200 without insurance (he's uninsured on unemployment).

I don't think the rite-aid you referenced has the antibody test, so depending on her results, going to take wife and dad to same place my mom went to.  I think already had it and concerned if my mom does my dad definitely does, so trying to have more answers then questions.

I do not know how FDA was involved with testing my mom took, but it's better then nothing.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Ya, I think there's some correlation to his disintegrating support among seniors.  It's hard to scoff at this when there's a ventilator down your throat versus someone else.

Yeah I mean...who would have thought that telling a group of almost 50 million people that they should be willing to die so the stock market can go back up might have some blowback in said group? 

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I’ll believe that when I see it 

Agreed. If Trump were any other rando he would have long ago been banned from Twitter. First, Twitter probably makes a ton of money off of him because he has so many followers and so many people view his tweets. Second, holy **** can you imagine the reaction from the MAGAs if he got banned? Twitter would probably have to hire Blackwater to protect their buildings. They'd be getting 20 bomb threats per day and have guys in camo carrying AR-15s 24/7 threatening their employees.

1 hour ago, visionary said:

Dude, Trump must be flipping plum the **** out right now. He's a germophobe and was reportedly already freaking out a bit about people being close to him. This has to rattle him. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3