Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Ya, I think there's some correlation to his disintegrating support among seniors.  It's hard to scoff at this when there's a ventilator down your throat versus someone else.

If anyone has or had an elderly parent or loved one that they took care of, they know that the elderly consider their physicians to be gods...they will listen to their doctors more than they will listen to their family lol...

Trump deciding to speak about health issues in ways that are contrary to every senior's personal doctor probably did him no favors.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Califan007 said:

To me, this makes no sense.

It was incredibly easy to tell that the IHME model was WAYYYYYYYYY off in its predictions, which played a gigantic role in any ridicule the model received. We were sitting at around 60,000 deaths at the end of April and IHME was still predicting 74,000 deaths by August 4th? Seriously? Yes, there was a range from like 56,000 to 200,000 or whatever the numbers were, but government policy was being formed based on the actual predicted number and not the range. And that number has gone from 60K to 74K to 137K to 147K in about 3 weeks. Meanwhile, epidemiologists who were already predicting 150K or more deaths 3 weeks ago were criticized for fear-mongering.

The reason these latest predictions aren't ridiculed is that they seem far more realistic. The more realistic the prediction, the less ridicule. The methodology IHME uses may have changed to those used by most epidemiologists, which if so would explain the rapid change in predictions. I'm hoping you're not suggesting that people are wanting to believe the worse or are being manipulated into it which has lead to ridiculing more positive predictions. That would be incredibly shallow thinking.

I'm saying that because IHME doesn't offer the specifics of their model and coding to the public, or changes thereof, I see no more reason than before to put faith in their recent projections when there are several other models that have been quite accurate from the start. If there were substantive, verifiable changes made to their model that could be tested, I would feel differently. 

It does not follow logically to dismiss a scientific model for its inaccuracy in one breath and then use its predictions as evidence once it falls in line with an accepted consensus. You see that, right? 

There are a wealth of options to choose from on the COVID-19 modeling front, some with completely different approaches to the same data:

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-policy-watch/covid-19-models/

23 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

My aunt is a senior. She voted for Trump. She hates him now.

My mom was actually speaking non-nonsense last week. Everything she said was stuff I hear & read...which is MSNBC & visionary. 😁

Now, I know she knows nothing of either of my sources...so that means what she DOES know is that trump is talkin' 💩

News from Chewy: his FIL pulled through! He's off the ventilator and has been transferred to a different hospital. Talking is still difficult, and he'll probably need oxygen forever, but good vibes were felt, prayers were answered, and I truly believe we all kinda witnessed a miracle. 

Hopefully a bright spot in the day for folks not having the best time of it right now...hang in there. 

• Like 16

Brilliant!

Wisconsin Supreme Court strikes down state's stay-at-home order

(CNN)The Wisconsin Supreme Court has overturned the state's stay-at-home order, ruling it "unlawful" and "unenforceable" in a high-profile win for the state's Republican-led Legislature.

In a 4-3 decision, the court ruled that Democratic Gov. Tony Evers' administration overstepped its authority when the state Department of Health Services issued an extension of the order to May 26. The Legislature's Republican leaders argued the order would cost Wisconsin residents their jobs and hurt many companies, arguing that if the order was left in place, "our State will be in shambles."

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 3

Wisconsin should open everything up, advise people in no uncertain terms that they should still stay home, close down the hospitals, and put up signs on the front that say "If you believe you have COVID-19, please see the Wisconsin Supreme Court for help, and may the odds be ever in your favor. Thoughts and prayers."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Coronavirus could remain in the air for more than 8 minutes after talking

From CNN Health's John Bonifield

Droplets generated by people talking while infected with the novel coronavirus could linger in the air for several minutes, potentially triggering new infections, according to researchers.

A new estimate by researchers at the National Institutes of Health and the University of Pennsylvania finds that talking loudly for one minute in a confined space could generate at least 1,000 "speech droplets" containing Covid-19 particles. 

Those droplets could remain in the air for more than eight minutes, according to the study published Tuesday in the open-access journal PNAS.

According to other research, that could be enough to generate an infection if someone inhaled them.

To conduct the experiment, the researchers had a person repeat the phrase "stay healthy" into a port connected to an enclosure, simulating a closed, stagnant air environment.

The phrase was chosen, the researchers said, because the "th" in the word "healthy" efficiently generates speech droplets.

The researchers then used a laser to watch what happened to the person's speech droplets after exiting the mouth.

Large droplets shrunk as they partially evaporated and hung in the air. 

Based upon the researchers' observations, they concluded, in real life such particles could be inhaled by others and cause new coronavirus infections.

Just now, zskins said:

Yup. Starting to think maybe it was man made... no way this can be a natural born killer. I could be wrong though. 

Of course it was man made.

Hillary, Barrack, Joe, George Soros, Nancy got together in Hillary's basement in NY and created the virus.  They then paid some chinese people in Wuhan to unleash the virus.  All part of their plan to help Joe Biden become president.

• Haha 5

Just now, Rdskns2000 said:

Hillary, Barrack, Joe, George Soros, Nancy got together in Hillary's basement in NY and created the virus.  They then paid some chinese people in Wuhan to unleash the virus.  All part of their plan to help Joe Biden become president.

You mean Trump re-elected. ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zskins said:

Yup. Starting to think maybe it was man made... no way this can be a natural born killer. I could be wrong though. 

Nature made.  Don't buy into conspiracy theories.

Genomic characterisation and epidemiology of 2019 novel coronavirus: implications for virus origins and receptor binding

In conclusion, we have described the genomic structure of a seventh human coronavirus that can cause severe pneumonia and have shed light on its origin and receptor-binding properties. More generally, the disease outbreak linked to 2019-nCoV again highlights the hidden virus reservoir in wild animals and their potential to occasionally spill over into human populations.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I could have believed you if there was Bill Gates involved in it. Here, it just looks silly :P

Edited by Wildbunny
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

And the more I think about Deborah Birx, the more furious I get. When the idiot said the word "disinfectant", she shoulda thrown a fit & started throwing things. I'll never forgive that. He had already said enough dumb ****, but that shoulda stopped the train. 

She has lost all credibility with me. 

• Like 1