Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

8 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:
I think "rich people will yell at me".

That's exactly it - supposedly the CEOs are telling Trump they'll manufacture whatever he wants, just don't enact the DPA to force them. The people on the front lines have their lives at stake here and we're willing to accept the CEOs word?

I think it comes down to him not wanting to be responsible for the logistics of getting the equipment to the hospitals that need it

• Like 1

What we need is a jobs act 2.0 for all the unemployed people in the next 2 months.  

Let the banks die, and maybe they will learn not to bet on bailouts.  

Its obvious that its the "second responders" (nurses and doctors) and "third responders" (food supply chains, truck drivers, stockers, etc) that are the indisposable people in the nation.  

These people are idiots trying to prop up dead corporations some more.  

Don't even have a clue.... 

From The Washington Post article on the failed vote. I think Democrats'concerns are spot on.  The law should also outlaw stock buybacks.  Once again, Republicans are screwing We the People.

“The legislation had many, many problems," Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) said. “At the top of the list, it included a large corporate bailout provision with no protections for workers, and virtually no oversight.”

A major sticking point is a $500 billion pool of money for loans and loan guarantees that Republicans want to create, which some Democrats are labeling a “slush fund” because the Treasury Department would have broad discretion over who receives the money. There is little precedent for a program with a similar size and scope.

“They’re throwing caution to the wind for average workers and people on Main Street and going balls to the wall for people on Wall Street," Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) said of Republicans.

Edited by LadySkinsFan

TARP was a $700B slush fund.  Sure, it was originally supposed to go to the banks... doesn't matter.  $500B is not enough in government loans.... 

Look, everyone.... shutting down our economy is going to hurt.  It has been obvious for a week... we haven't talked about the stark choices this virus is forcing on us vs. risk/benefit... our economy can't handle no one working for more than a few weeks. 

2 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Look, everyone.... shutting down our economy is going to hurt.  It has been obvious for a week... we haven't talked about the stark choices this virus is forcing on us vs. risk/benefit... our economy can't handle no one working for more than a few weeks. 

actually, at least one person here talked about this.

yes, trump inc., minooch, the rest of his admin, and the gop congress are indeed happy to use this event to try to give themselves a half-trillion slush fund just as accused...and gopers will say it ain't so and the dems are "just" playing politics---which they are of course in some areas we can be sure, but not like this level of sick and corrupt

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

well rand is just one of many i've been suggesting need to be cudgeled into a position of zero influence

for anyone who hasn't seen him as a self-absorbed showboat/con-man with a single-theme shtick his whole career, i have some magic beans you may be interested in

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FrFan said:

It's going to take 6 more weeks to conduct more trials, how many people will die during this period ?

Imagine this medicine will work for most of us but you did't want to release it because of the lack of trials, what will you say to the families who have lost a relative who  couldn't be treated with it during this period ?

How many more tests of this well known medicine do we need ?

Professor Harrousseau former president of national health security said go for it, there is no risk under serious medical care !

I've got two friends both having phd in genetics, they told me today 1200 people are unofficially been treated with chloroquine !

I believe what this professor said today

The next clinical trial would be even larger.

And how many people die if you put this into widespread use, ignored other possible alternatives, and it isn't working and you've missed something that does because you've focused on this?

The risk is that you're giving them something worthless and are missing something that would have worked.

You have to do enough tests until there is clear evidence that it is working, and realistically, you'd like to have something that is working as well or better than the alternatives.

If this is effective for 75% of the population, but one of the other things that are being looked at turns out would be effective for 90% of the population, then by rushing forward with this and ignoring the other, you're killing a lot of people.

(And I'll point out, I didn't say more clinical trials.  The Chinese researchers cited in the story you linked did.)

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 3