Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

4 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I’ve been vacationing in the Bahamas regularly since 1985.  It’s a beautiful country filled with amazing people and most of its prosperity is built on US tourism.

To actually be alive in a world where US citizens are banned from the Bahamas is almost beyond surreal...and it’s all because of Florida.  At the same time Trump was bailing out Cruise lines and Airlines he was cutting them off at the knees.

It boggles the mind.

I got married in the Bahamas and I totally agree with you. 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 10:24 PM, Springfield said:

Read something earlier that said that Covid is thought to come in 6 different varieties that come with different symptoms and severity. Also, it's thought that Covid may essentially fade and the symptoms will become so mild that it will be impossible to tell the difference between that and the common cold (which itself is simply other types of coronavirus).

I believe about 15% of colds are caused by coronaviruses but the overwhelming majority are caused by rhinoviruses. Hopefully that will ease the situation.

There is growing evidence that people may have some level of immune protection from SARS-COV-2 with exposure to coronavirus-caused colds in the past. The T-cells developed have cross-reactivity. More to be determined in terms of whether or not that means total protection, partial protection, or no protection from catching it, but less of a chance of severe symptoms. But it would be interesting if people catching the cold this winter ended up helping them against the novel virus.

Edited by Sticksboi05
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Hersh said:

How exactly is it misleading? The entire context was already established as being about Covid. The fact that he's trying to prevent a mayor from speaking to the press about what the order says is insane. 

Mayor Bottoms' tweet says Kemp is trying to enjoin her from speaking to the press or issue statements without any qualifiers.  The screen capped complaint shows that Kemp's requested relief is limited to enjoining the Mayor from representing that she has authority to issue a more or less restrictive measure than the ones issued by the state.  No doubt Kemp is a dirtbag and barking up the wrong tree, but the Mayor's tweet is inaccurate at best (but the screencap is there in the same tweet and she's working with a character limit, so there's that)

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

Mayor Bottoms' tweet says Kemp is trying to enjoin her from speaking to the press or issue statements without any qualifiers.  The screen capped complaint shows that Kemp's requested relief is limited to enjoining the Mayor from representing that she has authority to issue a more or less restrictive measure than the ones issued by the state.  No doubt Kemp is a dirtbag and barking up the wrong tree, but the Mayor's tweet is inaccurate at best (but the screencap is there in the same tweet and she's working with a character limit, so there's that)

So twitter has limited charecers right?  And she retweeted the exact order with her comment, right? So even if you play word games, her statement is in fact true - he is stopping her from from speaking to press, maybe not about anything but he is attempting to stop her from speaking to press about something - the something is in the picture of the complaint that SHE RETWEETED!!  So it's not the tweet, it's how you want to read it. Her exact characters, which still are accurate or the entire tweet which should remove any doubt even from the most insane interpretation. 

It's amazing how some people have nothing better to do than nitpick 280 characters when people are trying to save lives? And you are wrong at that! Again, she retweeted the actual complaint!!  If you can read the tweet you can read the pic attached. Makes it perfectly clear - especially given the limit characters allowed by twitter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sticksboi05 said:

I believe about 15% of colds are caused by coronaviruses but the overwhelming majority are caused by rhinoviruses. Hopefully that will ease the situation.

There is growing evidence that people may have some level of immune protection from SARS-COV-2 with exposure to coronavirus-caused colds in the past. The T-cells developed have cross-reactivity. More to be determined in terms of whether or not that means total protection, partial protection, or no protection from catching it, but less of a chance of severe symptoms. But it would be interesting if people catching the cold this winter ended up helping them against the novel virus.

Well, hopefully the fact that I've had colds every winter since before I can remember will help me out in this case. Some where god-awful bad too.

38 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

So twitter has limited charecers right?  And she retweeted the exact order with her comment, right? So even if you play word games, her statement is in fact true - he is stopping her from from speaking to press, maybe not about anything but he is attempting to stop her from speaking to press about something - the something is in the picture of the complaint that SHE RETWEETED!!  So it's not the tweet, it's how you want to read it. Her exact characters, which still are accurate or the entire tweet which should remove any doubt even from the most insane interpretation. 

It's amazing how some people have nothing better to do than nitpick 280 characters when people are trying to save lives? And you are wrong at that! Again, she retweeted the actual complaint!!  If you can read the tweet you can read the pic attached. Makes it perfectly clear - especially given the limit characters allowed by twitter. 

If you want to say that people should read both the text and the screencap and understand her message in context, that's fair.  I think it's also fair to say that she should try to be more judicious with her words, even on twitter.  Again, it doesn't begin to compare to what Kemp is doing, but the tweet definitely could've been phrased better without the inaccurate sentence.

15 hours ago, mistertim said:

That's something I also find so ironic about this whole thing. In late December/early January Trump basically had a path re-election handed to him on a platter. All he had to do was take COVID-19 seriously, listen to the scientists, and move immediately to allow full mitigation and containment efforts with a massive national testing and tracing strategy. If he'd have done that we'd likely be at a fraction of the deaths and he'd quite possibly be at 60% approval and coasting to a win in November because much of the country would have rallied around him and stayed rallied around him, as they generally do in times of national disasters.

The guy simply can't get out of his own way.

Funny/sad thing is that the MAGAs will still cheer and say he "completely owned" Wallace. I quickly took a look on Breitbart and that's pretty much exactly what's happening. Trump could literally put his fingers in his ears and yell "POO POO PEE PEE! YOU'RE A FART FACE! YOU'RE A DOODIE HEAD!" for the entirety of the interview and they'd say he completely "outclassed" and "owned" the interviewer.

Can't rep you enough, I may steal that first post and use it on another board. Just offering full disclosure.  :)

• Haha 1

I was going to hit up the gym today for the first time since March, but based on the MD numbers steadily increasing I'm going to hold off at least a week longer.  I'm dying to lift weights right now but I'll have to use the bands for a bit longer.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

If you want to say that people should read both the text and the screencap and understand her message in context, that's fair.  I think it's also fair to say that she should try to be more judicious with her words, even on twitter.  Again, it doesn't begin to compare to what Kemp is doing, but the tweet definitely could've been phrased better without the inaccurate sentence.

The tweet is 100% OK as is. Nothing wrong with it unless you are too lazy to read the entire thing.

How about focusing on how ridiculous it is that the gov is using his power for political gain - at the expense of human lives. How about being outraged that he is trying to silence her at all for any reason. Why can't he take responsibility and work things out like adults instead of going to a very public legal response - yes she has tried to reach out stating publicly she would like to meet with the governo so they can work together and get through this pandemic. he has not done so, at least not yet. And why not lawsuits and gag orders against the mayors of Savannah and Athens who were even more vocal? Maybe becasue they are not black females that also happen to be on the short list for Dem VP? 

Forget all that, the really important thing here is how Mayor Bottoms - the person trying to save lives - should have slightly reworded her tweet for those too lazy to read the entire thing. This nitpick monday morning QB culture is going to be the death of us. One person is trying to safe lives the other trying to kiss his masters ass and some are more worried about word order. Unreal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Coronavirus vaccine from Oxford and AstraZeneca shows positive response in early trial

The researchers said the vaccine produced both antibodies and killer T-cells to combat the infection. Neutralizing antibodies, which scientists believe is important to gain protection against the virus, were detected in participants after 28 days. 

The vaccine was found to be well-tolerated and there were no serious adverse events, according to the researchers. Fatigue and headache were the most commonly reported, they said. Other common side effects included pain at the injection site, muscle ache, chills and a fever.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

One person is trying to safe lives the other trying to kiss his masters ass and some are more worried about word order. Unreal. 

I don't know what gave you this impression, but ok 🤷‍♂️

10 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I don't know what gave you this impression, but ok 🤷‍♂️

Where are your responses to me calling out the things that I highlighted like the inconsistency in lawsuits and the overall acts of kemp? So far at least in this exchange the only response has been about the wording of a tweet. A few - yea he is an ass comments, but nothing to indicate that is the bigger issue or again any highlighting of kemps actions that are counter to Mayor Bottoms efforts to save lives - and it's not how the tweet is worded.  That can only lead to the belief that this is what's important to you. Maybe not, but I have nothing else to go by but what your responses have been.    

Edited by goskins10

11 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Chances he uses those briefings as campaign events like he did with that Rose Garden "press conference"?

100%. He's probably going completely ape**** not being able to have rallies, hence that Rose Garden cluster****.

I'm curious how long it will take before most networks besides Fox and OANN start cutting away from them like they eventually did before. Hopefully they'll pick up right where they left off and just cut away until he starts to actually give anything resembling pertinent or helpful information. Or someone else starts talking.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Chances he uses those briefings as campaign events like he did with that Rose Garden "press conference"?

I think 100% he's going to use them as campaign events. Another law that needs to be passed: no using government property as campaign events.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I think 100% he's going to use them as campaign events. Another law that needs to be passed: no using government property as campaign events.

I thought stuff like that was already forbidden by campaign laws. Or is that not an actual law, just a guideline that's usually followed?

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

I thought stuff like that was already forbidden by campaign laws. Or is that not an actual law, just a guideline that's usually followed?

I don't know if it's a law, maybe under the Hatch Act. He got away with using the Rose Garden. If it isn't a law, it should be.

3 hours ago, purbeast said:

I was going to hit up the gym today for the first time since March, but based on the MD numbers steadily increasing I'm going to hold off at least a week longer.  I'm dying to lift weights right now but I'll have to use the bands for a bit longer.

Been going to the gym in Springfield for a couple weeks now. Fairfax County has been basically flat for the last month or two. I’d love to see it drop down but so far the R0 numbers here have been around 1. Hope the rest of the state doesn’t drag us down with them.

• Like 2

...television. Really? Is this a new technological marvel? He goes into his quips to make something sound more amazing than it is so often that he uncontrollably (inadvertantly?) does it to everyday devices.

Or...it's just dementia.

Edited by Metalhead
  • Like 1

There should be no reason for cnn or msnbc to broadcast any briefing with Trump speaking. It’s just a campaign propaganda stunt. There us nothing of value that will come out of his mouth.

They guy has moved on from corona. His staff probably let this happen to keep the baby happy.

• Like 1