Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

1 hour ago, twa said:

from the NIH panel

I hear there are good results from a lice medication...anecdotal of course

we certainly could use a good therapeutic

The lice stuff would almost certainly work, and very quickly the country could breathe a sigh of relief. Now whether it would work as well on the virus as it would on Tя☭mp, who knows?

20 minutes ago, Skintime said:

I'm really surprised that has not happened yet.

If we were in year one or two, I might agree. However, I want to see him lose the election very bigly, and I could easily see his quisling, suck-egg dog Pence winning. Nah, I’ll go with Tя☭mp hatred FTW Alex.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bang said:

It really doesn't sound so crazy anymore, does it?

~Bang

No, not at all. I'm sure it's coming. trump is flat out insane and those that are backing him will put up a fight. This is going to bring about a new civil war. I see it every day here in NC. They are just jonesing for a war with the libtards.

1 minute ago, The Sisko said:

The lice stuff would almost certainly work, and very quickly the country could breathe a sigh of relief. Now whether it would work as well on the virus as it would on Tя☭mp, who knows?

If we were in year one or two, I might agree. However, I want to see him lose the election very bigly, and I could easily see his quisling, suck-egg dog Pence winning. Nah, I’ll go with Tя☭mp hatred FTW Alex.

I do think if there is an election he will lose by a huge margin. He has lost those that thought he could change things for the better. He only has his base now, its is not enough to win.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Found this article that really gets into the weeds a bit. I agree with their final conclusion. It would be chaos. 

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/21/21188152/trump-cancel-november-election-constitution-coronavirus

obviously Grassely would be Potus till it is sorted out since he is not up for reelection,nor is waiting on the senate a option 🤣

26 minutes ago, Skintime said:

No, not at all. I'm sure it's coming. trump is flat out insane and those that are backing him will put up a fight. This is going to bring about a new civil war. I see it every day here in NC. They are just jonesing for a war with the libtards.

I think an actual civil war would be over pretty quickly as far as the "main battle", because in this day and age that battle would start and end with economics. If the Blue states and/or Red states decided to band together and leave and be separate countries who only had commerce with whoever they chose, the Red state coalition would almost immediately be in serious economic trouble. Blue states overall bring in more revenue and are less dependent on federal dollars than Red states. They also have a far larger share of good paying jobs and the economy in general. Yes, the Red states have more farms and farmland, but a ton of our food comes from overseas already anyway.

Violence would still undoubtedly happen and be a factor, but that would also depend on what happened with the military. Would they stick with POTUS and the Red states? Would they agree to invade, bomb, and kill people in the former Blue states? Then again, how would the soldiers get paid if the federal government were suddenly deprived of all the tax income from Blue states? Would the federal government in that sort of state (insofar as it still exists) still be able to sustain deficit spending and borrowing? Also, which countries would get behind which factions? 

16 minutes ago, twa said:

obviously Grassely would be Potus till it is sorted out since he is not up for reelection,nor is waiting on the senate a option 🤣

Buuuuut, per the Vox article:

Recall that the terms of many senators also expire on January 3. As it turns out, 23 seats held by Republicans and only 12 seats held by Democrats are up for election this year, so if no election is held, Democrats will have a majority in the Senate once these seats become vacant. Which would mean that Senate Democrats would be able to choose a new president pro tempore. If they follow the tradition of choosing the most senior member of their caucus, that would place

Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT) next in line for the presidency.

giphy.gif

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3

One of many frustrating things is that you can't even really feel any optimism about the US case numbers when there are positive signs because of all the testing suppression.

Like in the last 24 hours: 25,900 cases and 800 of those are from a 2 week old backlog that Cali is sorting through, so they're not really "new." It's the second time in 3 days that we've had a count that low and only the third time this month. Even yesterday wasn't that high, right in line with the lesser totals from last week. 

But it's hard to feel any optimism when you know testing is not going at the rate it should be and, in fact, declining. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

One way or the other, it's going down this fall/winter. Might as well prepare ourselves for anything and everything 

As if this year couldn't get stranger/weirder/scarier.  A whole election cycle and the ensuing fall-out still has to occur.  You're right to prepare for anything and everything but this year has been so bizzare....you could prepare 125 different ways and still couldn't be ready for whatever happens.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

As if this year couldn't get stranger/weirder/scarier.  A whole election cycle and the ensuing fall-out still has to occur.  You're right to prepare for anything and everything but this year has been so bizzare....you could prepare 125 different ways and still couldn't be ready for whatever happens.  

We've had a plague.  

Had locusts.  

Still need a fire and a flood.  

(And a large chunk of the population will blame Obama, and tell themselves that God picked Trump.)  

• Like 3

So I know this isn't a civil war thread, but explain to me how that would work logistically?  Would like, half the army fight for the blue and half for the red?  Would it go base by base, with the bases in red States fighting for red, blue bases for blue?  Branch by branch?   Civilians vs. Military?  Would Hogan square off against Cuomo?

Does anyone here realize how much our military has changed since 1860?  I know it's a fantasy for some of you, but reality is that there will not be a civil war because it would be impossible to divide our armed forces. Practically speaking too, the idealigies are no longer aligned as strictly along geographical lines.  For the radical guys in this thread, ask yourself this: Would you be willing to drive a tank down Peachtree Street in Atlanta, heart of the south? Gonna have to kill a lot of very successful black people if you do that.

Now, a war with one of these bad foreign actors (nk, Iran), I can see that possibility.  Seems like a good time to test the resolve of our nation.

Edited by kfrankie
  • Like 3

Coronavirus Kills More Americans in One Month Than the Flu Kills in One Year

Although there is still much we don’t know about the coronavirus, we know enough to say that it is far more dangerous and deadly than the flu. It took twelve months and 61 million infections for the H1N1 swine flu to kill 12,500 Americans in 2009–10. The Centers for Disease Control estimated that the seasonal flu killed 34,200 Americans during the 2018–19 flu season. In 2019, car crashes killed 38,800 Americans.

As for the new coronavirus? On March 20, the death toll in the United States was 225. By April 20, the coronavirus had killed more than 42,000 Americans.

Last week The New Atlantis produced a chart that starkly portrays just how quickly COVID-19 became one of the leading causes of death in the United States:

Click on the link for the full article

Have you guys seen this story about the oral polio vaccine being used to offer 2-3 month boosts to innate immunity?

It's very interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing what they find out in their double blind Baltimore/Mount Sinai study, but watch people run to their GPs begging for polio on a sugar cube once Trump sees this.

It works very, very similarly to that TB shot they were talking about using a few weeks ago as a booster. It's not permanent by any means, but even a couple months could be life saving if a treatment like remdesivir is passing through the FDA.

Most likely, we won't be able to use this tactic until next flu season, but it could be helpful for a lot people because these vaccines are cheap and there's a lot of them already manufactured.

Like I always say with **** like this, don't expect anything, but hope for the best. I think it's really cool.

Here is a separate article in USA Today regarding innate immunity that Dr. Gallo collaborated on:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/04/21/oral-polio-vaccine-has-potential-treat-coronavirus-column/5162859002/

Edited by Bacon