Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera: Redskins First (non-interim) Head Coach of Color

COWBOY-KILLA-

11 hours ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Maybe the way to put it for those who don't get it, is:  It's important that a qualified candidate was not, not hired, because of his skin color.

Of course we want to hire the most qualified person based on merit. The point is that it's a good thing when the qualified candidates aren't passed up because of their skin color.

Good post.

Just curious of your thoughts on this article though?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2018/10/17/harvards-gatekeeper-reveals-sat-cutoff-scores-based-on-race/amp/

26 minutes ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

Looks like white kids in Montana receive preferential treatment over Asian students.
Typical white privilege. 

:hitfan:

On 1/3/2020 at 8:51 AM, bakedtater1 said:

Yawn....wake me when women start becoming head coaches(no disrespect to you cowboykilla...i frickin love you here)..

With all due respect I just don’t know how that will happen.  Barring a pro football league for women which allows women to get playing and coaching experience to maybe make that jump.  The NFL is all about experience in the league or atleast experience in college but you don’t have any females coming into the NFL or college as a player. Except maybe a random DIII school.  

8 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

With all due respect I just don’t know how that will happen. 

Humanity is going to have to get over our little hang up about them being physically weaker on average thanks to how our bodies develop. If we can accept that our options are almost limitless. 

1 hour ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

Colleges aren't jobs, and function differently than most other businesses in terms of how the raise income.  And from a college's perspective there is an advantage to creating a diverse student demographic and giving people that might otherwise not get it opportunities can actually boost long term income (i.e. alumni giving).

6 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Seems like a lack of women coaches is less of an issue than a lack of non-white coaches, given that 0% of the players are women and 75% are non-white men.  

Good point PB, there certainly is an alarming lack of diversity among the players. 

Since everyone is speaking so passionately about how important it is to see color, I’m going to take a moment to take issue with this annoying tendency of Americans to reduce the world to a chess board.  Black and white only, and always in opposition.  Reading this thread what stood out to me are the arguments that appear in some form of “is he dark enough to be on the team PoC or does he count as white.”  It’s bull****.  

Ron Rivera stands out not because he is a person of color, but because he is Hispanic, specifically.  While not unheard of, hispanics are decidedly uncommon in the nfl.  I, myself being a Hispanic, do not like seeing one I identify (perhaps, irrationally) as one of my own stripped of his cultural heritage and reduced to a vague reference to skin color.  All this done to shoehorn the man more easily into America’s toxic racial political arguments.  

If we’re going to argue against color blindness let’s choose to see more than two.

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Humanity is going to have to get over our little hang up about them being physically weaker on average thanks to how our bodies develop. If we can accept that our options are almost limitless. 

That doesn’t have anything to do with it.  Coaches are generally former players.  Could a women be a GM or owner? Sure.  But how are you gonna build your team with a person who hasn’t played in the NFL? And if they played college probably a very low division.  That would be like telling me to be a OBGYN doctor with no physical medicine experience.  Would we hire a offensive assistant as our head coach of the Redskins? No.  So why you KD expect say the 49ers to? (I’m using them as a female is one there.)

i don't want to make this about color but you guys know where i stand, bottom line, at the end of the day, all things considered, just keepin' it real, speaking truth to power, yada yada yada sis boom bah----never trust whitey 

:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Since everyone is speaking so passionately about how important it is to see color, I’m going to take a moment to take issue with this annoying tendency of Americans to reduce the world to a chess board.  Black and white only, and always in opposition.  

Destino is 100% correct. It's a more nuanced discussion than simply white versus black.

i2ilm1S.jpg

31 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

----never trust whitey 

Take it from us.

We know.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't remember the last time I felt this sick every time I opened a thread hoping it would get better.

Learn how to manage your expectations.  Humanity is a parade of idiots all greedily hoping for a chance at twirling the baton out in front.  The few exceptions are smart enough not to draw too much attention to themselves.

5 minutes ago, zskins said:

Have you tried the pink Pepto Bismol instead?

You disappoint me, and you don't even know why.

4 minutes ago, Destino said:

Learn how to manage your expectations.  Humanity is a parade of idiots all greedily hoping for a chance at twirling the baton out in front.  The few exceptions are smart enough not to draw too much attention to themselves.

I hear you, transitioning from an idealist to a realist trying to keep a smile on their face isn't easy.  

Archived