Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

My thinking is that some of the money is going to Bradberry and possibly Boston.

Yep. Bradberry and Boston are in my mind, locks. It could turn out to be totally off-base, but I would think Ron would bring both in since they would fill immediate holes/needs.

Speaking of the free-agent TEs ... Spotrac has updated their market value for the bigger named guys ...

1. Austin Hooper: 5 years, $50 million (10m APY)

2. Hunter Henry: 4 years, $36 million (9m APY)

3. Eric Ebron: 4 years, $30 million (7.5m APY)

4. Greg Olsen: 2 years, $10 million (5m APY)

5. Darren Fells: 1 year, $4.3 million (4.3m APY)

Let's assume the following for a minute as starters:

Offense:

QB: Haskins

RB: Guice, Love, Peterson

OL (Left to Right): Trent Williams, Flowers (re-signed), Rouiller, Martin, Moses

TE: Olsen, Sprinkle,?

WR: McLaurin, Harmon, Simms

Defense:

DL: Young (draft), Allen/Payne/Ioannidis, Sweat/Kerrigan

LB: Holcomb, SDH, Anderson

S: Boston, Collins

CB: Dunny, Bradberry, Moreland 

That's FA adds of Kelsey, Boston and Bradberry (All Carolina ties, and would fit areas of need), working things out with Trent and Dunny (signs are positive at the moment, re-signing Flowers (this just makes too much sense not to do), drafting Chase Young (duh), however letting Scherff hit the street. 

What do you think? 

Clearly there would be other moves to be made, definitely at QB, probably at WR, TE, LB.  But just doing the obvious, with better coaching, I think you've maybe got yourself a 6-7 win roster.  Better than the 3-13 **** show we had previously.  

13 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Let's assume the following for a minute as starters:

Offense:

QB: Haskins

RB: Guice, Love, Peterson

OL (Left to Right): Trent Williams, Flowers (re-signed), Rouiller, Martin, Moses

TE: Kelsey, Sprinkle,?

WR: McLaurin, Harmon, Simms

Defense:

DL: Young (draft), Allen/Payne/Ioannidis, Sweat/Kerrigan

LB: Holcomb, SDH, Anderson

S: Boston, Collins

CB: Dunny, Bradberry, Moreland 

That's FA adds of Kelsey, Boston and Bradberry (All Carolina ties, and would fit areas of need), working things out with Trent and Dunny (signs are positive at the moment, re-signing Flowers (this just makes too much sense not to do), drafting Chase Young (duh), however letting Scherff hit the street. 

What do you think? 

Clearly there would be other moves to be made, definitely at QB, probably at WR, TE, LB.  But just doing the obvious, with better coaching, I think you've maybe got yourself a 6-7 win roster.  Better than the 3-13 **** show we had previously.  

Who is Kelsey @ TE? 

I would see TE as Hooper/Olsen, Sprinkle, Hentges  And I wouldnt rule out BOTH of those first two and Sprinkle even being odd man out.  I would be looking at a legit WR there, @UK SKINS FAN 74 mentioned the name Anderson, and he could be interesting... someone like AJ Green could be a conversation too, but he's going to be expensive.  (Steven Sims Jr also has 1 'M') 

I would like the Bradberry / Boston move, but there is also a good chunck of money left over for other spending if my rough math works.  

The talk last season was the Ravens would have given a 2nd rounded for Kerrigan. That ship has sailed. 

No chance Kerrigan can stay on the deal he has. But on something like a 3yr/24 mil deal and I’d take it. Should be able to half his 2020 cap hit.

"Jordan Reed's an interesting one because I don't know about the retirement end of things, and a lot of times guys won't officially retire," Garafolo said. "I've heard some rumblings about that. I don't want go out there and say the guy's gonna retire. He's got to make his own decision on that."

"We know about his continued health issues," he said. "But if you retire and walk away, you basically punt any injury money that can come your way. Under the CBA, you're up for a million dollars in injury protection if you're cut basically by a team, and it's because you're not healthy enough. That could be one that could take a little bit to play out."

https://thefandc.radio.com/redskins-to-release-paul-richardson

Does anyone have up to date cap information with Norman and Richardson gone?
This is a pretty decent write up:  https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/5-steps-50-million-salary-cap-space-redskins
We can summarize that we just saved roughly 

Cut Josh Norman / $12.5M saved and $3M hit

Cut Paul Richardson (post June 1 designation) / $6.5M saved and $2M cap hit
Forgive me but I know nothing about how this works.  Does that mean we saved 19 Mil - 5 this season?

Kerrigan is fine to stick. Especially because Chase Young is still not a definitive lock. It’s likely, but despite all the people here who claim to see the future, we don’t know. The Bengals could (but not likely) take him or trade the pick. 

If you cut Kerrigan before that time, and you don’t wind up with Young, there’s a lot of egg on our faces.

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd be willing to bet that Ron is going to love Kerrigan also. If he doesn't already.   Veteran guy, good locker room guy, max effort guy, team leader, etc. etc.  

I don't know if that means he's extended or just not cut.  I think Ron and Jack would like to have Kerrigan around with (presumably) Young and Sweat so you have 3 legitimate DEs in case of injury, and just to rotate.  

I wouldn't mind seeing Kerrigan extended a year or two if they could lower his average annual salary and make his contract more cap friendly.  He's a good player, and the kind of player you want on your team.  

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'd be willing to bet that Ron is going to love Kerrigan also. If he doesn't already.   Veteran guy, good locker room guy, max effort guy, team leader, etc. etc.  

I don't know if that means he's extended or just not cut.  I think Ron and Jack would like to have Kerrigan around with (presumably) Young and Sweat so you have 3 legitimate DEs in case of injury, and just to rotate.  

I wouldn't mind seeing Kerrigan extended a year or two if they could lower his average annual salary and make his contract more cap friendly.  He's a good player, and the kind of player you want on your team.  

3 years and $24 million makes sense to me. Hopefully it makes sense to Kerrigan too. lowers his 2020 cap from $12 million to maybe $7 million, then $8 million and $9 million in 2021 and 2022 before going off the books completely when you hope to give upwards of $20m per year to either Sweat or Young.

@Skinsinparadise have you listened to the Kevin Sheehan Show podcast?  Finnny (intentional spelling) was on and they talked about Jordan Reed.  How JP doesn't know, nor does anybody, if Reed was cleared from the protocol, and nobody can ask because the player was in the protocol.

Combine that with the "retire and give up cash" story from above, I really think that this is a sticky, sticky situation for the team.  I don't think they can release Reed, they probably have to reach some sort of injury settlement.  And Reed can blow that up if he refuses and says he wants to play.

This is going to be fascinating to watch.  I think all things considered, the team would like the cap room back, but how they get there will be interesting and not entirely in their control. 

12 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

3 years and $24 million makes sense to me. Hopefully it makes sense to Kerrigan too. lowers his 2020 cap from $12 million to maybe $7 million, then $8 million and $9 million in 2021 and 2022 before going off the books completely when you hope to give upwards of $20m per year to either Sweat or Young.

That's somewhere around what I was thinking.  He's kindof a tweener.  He's no longer a start starter, but he's also more than a "JAG" type backup.  

I almost think the most likely option is they do nothing.  And he just plays out his deal, and then he hits FA.  Ron could see it as an investment for 2020, but one without a long tail.  

Also, the easiest thing to do is always nothing.  :) 

I'd love Hooper but am guessing the competition will be stiff

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

@Skinsinparadise have you listened to the Kevin Sheehan Show podcast?  Finnny (intentional spelling) was on and they talked about Jordan Reed.  How JP doesn't know, nor does anybody, if Reed was cleared from the protocol, and nobody can ask because the player was in the protocol.

Combine that with the "retire and give up cash" story from above, I really think that this is a sticky, sticky situation for the team.  I don't think they can release Reed, they probably have to reach some sort of injury settlement.  And Reed can blow that up if he refuses and says he wants to play.

This is going to be fascinating to watch.  I think all things considered, the team would like the cap room back, but how they get there will be interesting and not entirely in their control. 

I am behind on Sheehan's podcasts but I'll catch up.  Breer was just on 106.7 and hinted on the same point -- injury, etc. 

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So if he wants to play and gets beat out by others maybe then he gets released? Or, does he come back and show he's still the best TE we have?

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Over the Cap calculator has them at $52.7 million right now. Cutting Reed gets them to $60.7 ... cutting/trading Kerrigan from that point gets them to $71.8 million

The scary thing is that Kerrigan (if we went this route) would likely be the only one we truly felt was gone...  and we have 1/3 of the cap available to ADD to what we had last year, basically only 'replacing' Scherff. 

12 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Norman's done. He's got no passion for football anymore. He might play for another year just to sucker another paycheck out of someone but he'll be behind the studio desk at FOX or CBS by 2021.

He had no passion for playing for Jay Gruden and Greg Manusky on a team that couldn't shoot straight.  

He might have passion for playing for a different team with competent coaching.  It's amazing the difference in attitude when you don't believe your boss is the village idiot. 

Archived