Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

6 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

So if he wants to play and gets beat out by others maybe then he gets released? Or, does he come back and show he's still the best TE we have?

You raise a good point. Here are the scenarios I think are possible:

1. He's not cleared, but won't retire.  I THINK there are provisions which force some type of an injury settlement in these scenarios, which depends on your tenure, contract language, etc.  It's also possible he has guarantees in his contract for injury, though he might have already hit them.  But this would be a process they would have to work through. I think this is the messiest situation and also the most likely situation.  

2. He's not cleared, retires.  No problem for the team. I don't think this is likely.

3. He's cleared, retires anyway. No problem for the team. I REALLY don't think this is likely.

4. He's cleared, the team doesn't want him, releases him like any other player.  This is probably the second most likely behind #1.  

5. He's cleared, doesn't want to play, but doesn't want to retire.  I'm not sure this is possible, but I included it.  I guess they would reaches an injury settlement.  This would be because of some contractual language surrounding injury guarantees, etc.  

6. He's cleared, wants to play, the team wants him back, he plays. This is the only situation where he stays on the team.    If he competes then gets released, it's the same as option 4.  However, I think if you cut him after March 18th, I'm not sure which league year the majority of the cap hit comes in.  

31 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He had no passion for playing for Jay Gruden and Greg Manusky on a team that couldn't shoot straight.  

He might have passion for playing for a different team with competent coaching.  It's amazing the difference in attitude when you don't believe your boss is the village idiot. 

Del Rio didn't want him. I would say Jack is a competent coach. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Kerrigan is fine to stick. Especially because Chase Young is still not a definitive lock. It’s likely, but despite all the people here who claim to see the future, we don’t know. The Bengals could (but not likely) take him or trade the pick. 

If you cut Kerrigan before that time, and you don’t wind up with Young, there’s a lot of egg on our faces.

I would also add that keeping Kerrigan is probably the best signal that we might still be open to trading that pick.  Further, if I was the GM for one of the teams looking at Tua, I'd be really nervous if the Redskins kept Kerrigan and went after one of the big but older QB FA.

46 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Vernon Hargreaves cut. I loved the guy in the draft. But man did he turn out to be a bust. Shows just how much of a crapshoot the draft really is. 

In that case it wasn't.  Metrics had him as long shot to not bust.  You need obscene speed to overcome a small frame with short arms.  He just had average speed.

Njoku being a former 1st rounder means he has a 5th year option on his contract as well. He's an appealing addition for anything 4th round or later. Going into his 4th season, but only turning 24 in July. He still has untapped upside for little risk at a valuable and needed position...definitely worth exploring if we have some insight into his character. He's not perfect obviously, and it might not work out. Can't put all your eggs in that basket. But damn if he even hit 70% of his ceiling here...

13 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

We’re going for a #2 receiver in FA to pair with Terry Mc. I’ve convinced myself on that. Anderson is that guy.

The biggest problem there is cost. Anderson will likely cost at least $10 million per year, over multiple years. Devin Funchess would likely come much cheaper, and of course has the Carolina connection.

3 minutes ago, Jericho said:

The biggest problem there is cost. Anderson will likely cost at least $10 million per year, over multiple years. Devin Funchess would likely come much cheaper, and of course has the Carolina connection.

agree on cost, apparently Anderson is after 12-14mil py which I think is borderline absurd. On lesser money I can see it tho.

I wanted us to get Funchess last offseason but nothing came of that. There is the Rivera connection but it’s not obvious that RR is necessarily a fan, given he walked from CAR and took a one year prove it deal in Indy. 

6 minutes ago, RWJ said:

As well as Williams and Flowers

Im still very much 50/50 on these. 

Trent, yes would have back, but option one I think if I was offered a 2nd he’d be gone. A 3rd or 4th and it’s a bit more of a dilemma. Probably a 3rd and I’d trade away.

Flowers, yep ‘great’ surprise last year when put in context. But do I want to give him 7-8mil per year? Don’t think so, not unless they cut Moses to offset the cost.

Martin needs to start. 

All that does leave us short at OL though so other moves need to occur. 

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Im still very much 50/50 on these. 

Trent, yes would have back, but option one I think if I was offered a 2nd he’d be gone. A 3rd or 4th and it’s a bit more of a dilemma. Probably a 3rd and I’d trade away.

Flowers, yep ‘great’ surprise last year when put in context. But do I want to give him 7-8mil per year? Don’t think so, not unless they cut Moses to offset the cost.

Martin needs to start. 

All that does leave us short at OL though so other moves need to occur. 

Only want TW extended 2 years making it a 3 year deal at the money he's making, no more.  Also, Flowers got 4 mill on a one year deal.  With his pay and play you'd have to give him a 7-8 mill APY but not guarantee that much on average per year on a 4 year deal.  I understand your concerns 74.  Moses will be an interesting watch.  I wouldn't be surprised if they don't try and trade him and look in FA to upgrade.

WR commands so much on the open market. Look what we had to offer Richardson. $8m per year? I think with a loaded WR class you target a TE in FA and grab one of the youngsters that fall in round 3. I’m okay on Funchess and / or Green as a stopgap for 1-2 years If you perceive a need for a veteran presence. But I think I’d prefer a Funchess/Van Jefferson route than Robby Anderson for $12m APY. 

I assume Reed is a goner. And when that occurs we will have $60 million in cap space. But more importantly our 2021 cap space once we move on from Alex Smith would be around $132 million right now in 2021 and $158 in 2022 and $196 million in 2023. 

Those numbers will be reduced as we add draft picks and sign and extend people this off-season and in future off-seasons but it’s a TON of money coming free. 

I could certainly see this staff opting to add multiple high cost FAs anticipating the free money coming in future years. We will have rookies needing to be extended or resigned in those years but even then, we have huge flexibility. 

6 hours ago, Jericho said:

Who’s better?  That really should be the question.  Bruce loved to get second tier players on 3rd tier contracts.

The Skins have cap room.  Go get better players.  Win more games.  

It’s amazing how simple the formula is. 

31 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I assume Reed is a goner. And when that occurs we will have $60 million in cap space. But more importantly our 2021 cap space once we move on from Alex Smith would be around $132 million right now in 2021 and $158 in 2022 and $196 million in 2023. 

Yeah, the 2021 and 2022 cap numbers are aided because I don’t think there’s even a full team’s worth of contracts on the books. 

And the lack of big money QB.

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, the 2021 and 2022 cap numbers are aided because I don’t think there’s even a full team’s worth of contracts on the books. 

And the lack of big money QB.

I guess my point on WR is more than I don’t think Anderson is that good. He strikes me as a glorified Richardson type of signing and isn’t worth the cap. I’d rather draft a 3rd round rookie to add to our outstanding youth and spend $10 million on Austin Hooper. And divert that cap $$ to make our OL and secondary outstanding. 

I could be convinced of going after Amari Cooper. But not sure he’s worth the $20 million per year. I know we won’t find another McLaurin in the draft but no reason we can’t find a solid WR2 long term. And a funchess would be a solid bridge to let that rookie get up to speed 

Archived