Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

Some NFL sources also expect the Redskins to be quite active in free agency, particularly at the cornerback spot. Two names to watch are unrestricted free agents James Bradberry and Bashaud Breeland. Bradberry played for Rivera in Carolina while Breeland nearly signed with the Panthers as a free agent in 2018 before a foot injury voided his contract. 

So sure, the Redskins released Norman in part of an effort to get a younger roster. But there was plenty more involved, Rivera just decided to take the high road with his public comments. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/ron-rivera-sees-releasing-josh-norman-opportunity-redskins-get-younger

5 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Landon Collins as well.

Assuming we cut Reed at some point this off-season, and proceed to cut Moses and Smith after 2020, the Skins are very uncommitted salary-wise beyond 2021. 

2023 and 2024 have only Collins and Way on the books ($191 million cap space each year on a frozen 2020 cap number that they don’t bother projecting growth on). Take off about $40 million for 2023 / 2024 based on having 4 classes of draftees on the books respectively. 

2022 has Collins, Way, Ionidis and the entire 2019 rookie class ($166 million in space). This number is closer to $$136 million when you factor in the rookie salaries for 3 (20/21/22) Rookie classes that aren’t on the books. 

2021 similarly has Collins, Way, Ionidis and the entire 2018 and 2019 draft classes ($140 million in space). This is assuming we cut Reed, Smith and Moses prior to the 2021 off-season which is ... almost guaranteed moves. That $140 is really $124 when you take the 2020 and 2021 rookie salary pools into consideration. 

So factoring in for rookie contracts that are currently not factored in:

2020: $55 million*

2021: $124 million**

2022: $136 million

2023: $155 million

2024: $155 million 

*assumes we cut Reed in 2020 off-season 

**assumes we cut Reed in 2020

and Smith and Moses prior to 2021 

My point in this is only to say we have very little $$ committed after this year other than rookies and Collins/Io. The team could opt not to spend a lot this off-season. More likely than not they’ll spend what we expect on filling holes (2-3 big contracts, 2-3 mid tier). Going forward I’m sure they’ll look to retain guys like Scherff, Allen, Payne, McLaurin, Sweat, Haskins Etc who Are vital pieces of young talent to build around that aren’t on the books on big

deals once their rookie contracts expire. But I’m sure these go into the calculations the FO goes through each off-season when projecting our FA contracts. 

This year we should have $60 million to spend on FA and Re-Signs. It’s perceived to be plenty to keep guys we want to keep. I expect that will continue to be the case in future years when we owe

guys like Allen and Payne extensions. I can’t see anything we do this or next off-season jeopardizing our salary cap going forward.

The only real “shocks” to the system could come if McLuarin, Haskins and Sweat all become pro-bowl or close talents. In those instances we will likely be talking extensions that could really put a dent in our caps in 2022/3 and beyond. Even more so if Young gets drafted and hit. That could be 4 players who could be staring down $20-30 million A year contracts. That’s a bridge we cross when we get there and is a good problem

to have. But interesting nonetheless. Which is why it’s important to keep draft capital and keep drafting well. One argument i could see for trading off 2 is to gather 2020 and 2021 draft capital to keep the churn going, but we really don’t have cap issues to force that approach.

And regarding a David Johnson trade. The reason I think it’s worth it for a 2 or 3 in addition to adding a solid RB talent is that you can simultaneously add a Rookie contract and maybe at a position of impact that allows you to get a quality player at below market value for 4-5 years when DJs $11 million has long been absorbed and forgotten about. 

Basically, we have the existing and future cap situation to be as aggressive as we want this and next FA cycles. 

12 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Basically, we have the existing and future cap situation to be as aggressive as we want this and next FA cycles. 

This is really exciting. We're poised to be able to really build a nasty long term contender if our Coaching/front office is legit and I really think it is. 

Thank god Bruces cheap ass is gone too. No more paying for "hopeful potential". 

28 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Breshad Perriman flashed for Tampa Bay after Evan's and Godwin went down. I would be interested in him as a low cost #2 as an insurance policy for a rookie WR that they will take.

Spotrac has Perriman projected as a $10-11 million APY contract. These are exactly the type of guys Allen would sign that I want to avoid. I’m done with the overachieving guys who you have to pay up for. I know Perriman is a former 1st rounder with pedigree. But I am out on any WR costing between $6 and $15 million per year unless named Aj Green. 

32 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

This is really exciting. We're poised to be able to really build a nasty long term contender if our Coaching/front office is legit and I really think it is. 

Thank god Bruces cheap ass is gone too. No more paying for "hopeful potential". 

I want us to feast in free agency. Give me a haul of 4 or 5 class signings. I have hope that the current FO will be able to do this in a productive manner as opposed to the jokes of the past. Get it done. 

I agree, this should be an exciting ride.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Two names to watch are unrestricted free agents James Bradberry and Bashaud Breeland. Bradberry played for Rivera in Carolina while Breeland nearly signed with the Panthers as a free agent in 2018 before a foot injury voided his contract.

I had completely forgotten Bree had signed with the panthers.  

I doubt they get both of them, but DB is a huge weakness.  They desperately need another starter, assuming Dunny comes back, and 2 if he doesn’t.  

Im honestly not sure which I prefer, trading Dunny and signing both Bradberry and Bree, or keeping Dunny and signing one of the two.  I don’t think you can get all 3.  Bree’s injury history just concerns me, even though I like him as a player and when healthy he’s really good.

Moreau also seems to be better outside than inside.  So he might be your backup, and Moreland and somebody at slot, though that might be another position to watch.  I don’t know enough about Bradberry to know if he could play the slot. 

14 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I want us to feast in free agency. Give me a haul of 4 or 5 class signings. I have hope that the current FO will be able to do this in a productive manner as opposed to the jokes of the past. Get it done. 

12 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ironically, his cheap ass ways actually have provided this opportunity.  

Except he would never have noticed it or been able to take advantage of it.

I think the biggest Bruce Blunder was signing the McReplacements instead of  Calais Campbell. 

I hope we never see that bull**** again. 

"Hey, we need a legit #2 WR, lets find someone who looked okay as a temporary #3 or a guy who just needs to stay healthy". No, sign a legit FA when you need a starter and be done with it. Stop filling in starter roles, with the guys who should be filler on the back end. It's been aggravating. 

26 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

NO! those are Snyderato moves! You build through the draft!  It’s the only way to build a team!  Look at the Steelers! The Packers! That’s how you build a franchise! You are not allowed to make FA acquisitions!  Draft only! Draft draft draft draft draft!  Look what happened in 2000!  Are you crazy!  

Every big name FA we have signed has busted! Deion! Archuletta! Bruce Smith! Jeff George! ARE! Haynesworth! And Norman! Collins is already a bust! All TERRIBLE!  

What are you thinking?!?!?! FA is the devIl’s took.  Use it and DIE!

Ron can’t let Dan get back to his free spending ways!  If we sign FAs that means Dan is in charge! We will only win the off season!

/sarcasm

I don’t think we are staring down the barrel of a huge FA spree. But I do think we are likely to spend some dough filling holes that make sense 

Likely: Bradberry, Boston, Hooper/Olsen, Funchess

Likely: Trent extension, Scherff extension 

possible: Flowers, Dennard, Green, Schobert, Klein

doubtful: Any other major signing

I think there’s a chance if we retain Dunbar that we go after Bradberry and maybe a slot corner to pair with Moreland. Maybe Kendall Fuller? Dennard?

Possible CB Depth chart:

CB1: Bradberry, Rookie

CB2: Dunbar, Moreau

SCB: Dennard, Moreland

14 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I don’t think we are staring down the barrel of a huge FA spree. But I do think we are likely to spend some dough filling holes that make sense 

Likely: Bradberry, Boston, Hooper/Olsen, Funchess

Likely: Trent extension, Scherff extension 

possible: Flowers, Dennard, Green, Schobert, Klein

doubtful: Any other major signing

I think there’s a chance if we retain Dunbar that we go after Bradberry and maybe a slot corner to pair with Moreland. Maybe Kendall Fuller? Dennard?

Possible CB Depth chart:

I think there’s going to be something significant at WR. And I don’t think Funchess is that.  What, I’m not sure.  

I agree with the rest of what you posted.

However, that would be more active than we’ve been in years.  

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think the biggest Bruce Blunder was signing the McReplacements instead of  Calais Campbell. 

I hope we never see that bull**** again. 

"Hey, we need a legit #2 WR, lets find someone who looked okay as a temporary #3 or a guy who just needs to stay healthy". No, sign a legit FA when you need a starter and be done with it. Stop filling in starter roles, with the guys who should be filler on the back end. It's been aggravating. 

Agree, though they were both golden moments IMO.  I recall Bruce's interview with Finlay at the time, he gave his trademark grin like he has it all going on, while saying yes we lost two receivers but then recited Pryor and Quick's stats and said we got most of that production back at a much more affordable price.  The other one was Jay (some beat guys said he was just echoing the company line on this because he butted heads a lot with Bruce behind the scenes on FA according to some) referring to not getting Calais yet they got two dudes for the price of 1, or something to that effect, and then couldn't even remember McGee's name while touting the point.  

The irony is the best FA haul under Dan was Gibbs' first season back.  I suspect Gregg Williams had a lot to do with it because the good moves were mostly on defense.   Marcus Washington.  Shawn Springs.  C. Griffin.  Philip Daniels.  IMO that's never been repeated. 

They've struggled typically with two types of FAs.  The bargain basement ones -- who mostly busted and just ate cap room in the end.  And the mega star signings.  Seems like the sweet spot has been good-emerging players:  P. Garcon, Randy Thomas, Swearinger, C. Griffin, etc.  Desean Jackson was somewhat in between the mega star and good-emerging player category but he was a good signing IMO.  

Guys like Austin Hooper, Anthony Harris, maybe Bradberry fit that category of good-emerging.  Not saying that this is the magic formula.  But its hard not to miss the pattern with this team with some exceptions. 

Top corners below based on QB rating against them

Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 10.44.21 AM.png

@Voice_of_Reason I wonder if the big move at WR is actually a trade. How or who I am not sure. Stefon Diggs comes to mind. I did think the Dunbar for Diggs trade thrown out there made some sense. Hopefully any trade would be player for player and someone like Kerrigan Moses or Dunbar. 

@Skinsinparadise I agree that the hits have been the young second contract guys like Griffin, Washington, Swearinger, Fletcher, etc. ... but the missed we have had are also guys that we probably thought were in that mold but weren’t. McGee, Richardson, Josh Morgan, etc. 

I do think there’s a distinct difference though between guys who have done it and are young with potential and guys who you hope could get there but haven’t yet. Hooper and Bradberry and Boston HAVE done it. But they’ll cost more by a few million

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

.... regarding WR

agree - I touted AJ Green a while back, but I mean he could go to an immediate contender. Check back on the blurred pictures on the FA list posted on the wall of Rivera’s office and one is clearly Robbie Anderson, enough said right :ols:

we’ll bring a RB in too. And one or two TE. This isn’t going to be a half arsed job.

Plus, as I’ve noted before, Landon Collins signed a 6yr/84mil deal and his cap hit in year one was.........yep only 3.8mil 

time to feast. :pint:

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Possible CB Depth chart:

Daryl Worley, links to both Rivera and JDR.

Also, Phillips at S, links to our new backs coach.

Dug this up while researching something else.  It doubles down on the obvious which is Bradberry is likely a target. 

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article232228577.html

Given Thompson’s still-increasing role in Carolina’s defense, the feeling is mutual, according to coach Ron Rivera. Rivera said on the final day of minicamp in June that he hoped both Thompson and cornerback James Bradberry, who is also in a contract year, would be Panthers long-term.

PFF on Anderson

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-using-clustering-to-find-fits-for-free-agent-wide-receivers

ROBBY ANDERSON

TR7.png

Robby Anderson had 0.6 targets below expectation but 13 air yards above expectation. These are typical figures of an occasional deep threat and not a No. 1 option. Jamison Crowder, Demaryius Thomas and Le'Veon Bell all gained more targets than Anderson on a per-route basis for the Jets, but while his heatmaps look just like that of a No. 1 receiver, the volume is certainly a concern. To project him as a premier wide receiver, one has to essentially give him a pass because of inferior QB play over the last three years and weigh his promising flashes more than his disappointing consistency.

TR10.png

Anderson has graded out in the 73rd percentile over the last two years, so we reduce the threshold a bit and search for teams that don't have a similar player who graded out in the 60th percentile.

Best fits: Cowboys, Jets, Cardinals, Patriots, Raiders, Steelers

Once again, the Cowboys, Jets, Cardinals and Patriots are fits, since they don't have a player at this level and usage. The Raiders are candidates, as well, because Darren Waller and Hunter Renfrow — who both looked really good in 2019 — are very different than Anderson when it comes to receiving weapons. Tyrell Williams is close to Anderson in terms of usage but hasn't graded out in the 60th percentile over the last two years. Given that Derek Carr isn't known for throwing it deep anyway, the Raiders might as well think Williams is enough deep threat for their current roster.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are an interesting case, as their best receiver, JuJu Smith-Schuster, is not close to Anderson in terms of usage, so they could need a complementary piece next to him. What would make the signing intriguing is that both Anderson and Smith-Schuster have yet to prove they can be a clear-cut No. 1 option, so the Steelers could let it develop on the field.

On the other hand, the Steelers are using James Washington just as they would presumably use Robby Anderson. However, Washington has failed to grade out even in the 40th percentile since he was drafted in the second round of the 2018 NFL Draft. He managed to improve in his second year, so whether the Steelers feel the need to pursue Anderson in free agency should depend on their belief in a potential breakout year from Washington. Hedging these hopes with an Anderson signing to give Ben Roethlisberger a reliable weapon downfield wouldn't be a terrible idea, though.

10 minutes ago, sportsnut said:

Can you please re-post the blurred pictures?  I missed that.

Nah you’ll need to go looking a fair few pages back 👍

28 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

He could, but i think a multi-year contract is far more important to him right now. Im positive NE goes after Cooper. We would be real suitors for him.

Good point, agreed on that.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001101860/article/afc-cut-candidates-sammy-watkins-jacoby-brissett-in-trouble?campaign=Twitter_atn

Strong candidates for release

1) Sammy Watkins, WR, Kansas City Chiefs: The regular season is ultimately the best way to judge an NFL player, and Watkins' 673 receiving yards in 2019 marked his highest output in the last four seasons (split between the Chiefs, Rams and Bills). If Sean McVay and Andy Reid couldn't get consistent production out of Watkins, it's hard to imagine who will.

With that said, that Super Bowl play against Richard Sherman will live in Kansas City lore forever, in addition to Watkins gaining 114 yards in back-to-back AFC title games. Somehow still just 26 years old, Watkins will get work again at a lesser price.

2) Trumaine Johnson, CB, New York Jets: Johnson received more guaranteed money than any non-quarterback free agent in the 2018 cycle before two seasons with the Jets that could generously be labeled a fiasco. The ghost of Mike Maccagnan will live on the Jets' cap this year in the form of $12 million in dead money just to offload Johnson's contract.

3-5) DT Marcell Dareus, WR Marqise Lee and CB A.J. Bouye, Jacksonville Jaguars: That AFC Championship Game core continues to fade away in Jacksonville. GM Dave Caldwell can save $20 million against the cap by cutting Dareus, a fine rotation player still living off a near-$100 million contract given to him back in Buffalo by former Bills GM Doug Whaley. Lee has three catches for 18 yards since signing a four-year, $34 million contract. Bouye is the toughest call here, but he had a down 2019 season, and Jaguars.com's John Oesher, one of the strongest team site writers out there, wrote he expected Bouye to be released.

6-8) RB Dion Lewis, TE Delanie Walker and OLB Cameron Wake, Tennessee Titans: Walker is a franchise legend who proved to be one of the best free-agent pickups of the last decade, but he's been unable to stay healthy. Lewis doesn't have the burst he used to back in New England, while Wake struggled to get playing time last season even before being placed on injured reserve in late November.

9) Tony Jefferson, S, Baltimore Ravens: There is no room in Baltimore for the well-respected former Cardinal, especially after the recent contract extension for Chuck Clark.

(UPDATE: The Ravens announced Friday that they have released Jefferson.)

10) Trent Murphy, DE, Buffalo Bills: A rare misstep by GM Brandon Beane, the Bills can save over $8 million on the cap by releasing Murphy. The Bills don't really need the money, but he's underperformed.

11-13) S Reshad Jones, WR Albert Wilson and OLB Charles Harris, Miami Dolphins: Signed to a massive contract before the Dolphins' latest teardown, Jones, 31, doesn't make sense as Miami's highest cap figure. The Dolphins can save $9.5 million by cutting Wilson, who didn't top 400 yards in either of his two seasons with the team. Harris, a 2016 first-round pick, may at least get a chance to make the team one last time in camp.

14) Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Houston Texans: Bill O'Brien doesn't have many other options to play cornerback, but paying Hargreaves nearly $10 million doesn't make much sense. It's possible they'll sign him to a re-negotiated deal.

(UPDATE: The Texans have released Hargreaves, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Friday.)

Potential surprise cuts

1) Olivier Vernon, DE, Cleveland Browns: Vernon was far more effective in Cleveland than his low sack total (3.5) suggests, but injuries have become an increasing concern. Once as durable as any defensive end in football, Vernon has missed 15 games over the last three seasons. Cutting Vernon would result in $15.5 million in cap savings.

2) Jacoby Brissett, QB, Indianapolis Colts: The Colts' tone around Brissett was markedly different in January than it was in August. After having complete confidence in him before the season, GM Chris Ballard said "the jury's still out" on Brissett after a streaky 2019 campaign. If the Colts snap up Philip Rivers in free agency, I'm not convinced that Brissett's contract is that tradable in a crowded market.

Changing course would be a costly move for Ballard. Brissett has a guaranteed $7 million bonus due, and releasing him would cost $12.5 million in dead money, although the Colts have enough space to cut their losses if they go Full Rivers.

3) Russell Okung, T, Los Angeles Chargers: A smarter man than I told me to take Okung off this list because left tackles are so hard to find. But a move seems possible, if only because Okung has the Chargers' highest cap figure ($17 million) and played under 300 snaps last season.

4-5) WR Mohamed Sanu and S Patrick Chung, New England Patriots: Sanu's $6.5 million base salary looked like a bargain when the Patriots traded for him, but his rough stretch since then could potentially put his roster spot in jeopardy. Chung, one of Bill Belichick's favorite defenders, struggled to keep up in coverage last season.

Other players in trouble (in alphabetical order): Mark Barron, LB, Pittsburgh Steelers; Anthony Chickillo, LB, Pittsburgh Steelers; Thomas Davis, LB, Los Angeles Chargers; Zach Fulton, G, Houston Texans; Chris Hubbard, T, Cleveland Browns; Senio Kelemete, G, Houston Texans; Ronald Leary, G, Denver Broncos; Vance McDonald, TE, Pittsburgh Steelers; Jake Ryan, LB, Jacksonville Jaguars; Avery Williamson, LB, New York Jets; Damien Wilson, LB, Kansas City Chiefs; Brian Winters, G, New York Jets.

Archived