Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

36 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I just saw this for the first time. Wrong Play McVay is a terrible nickname. I would never coin that as a thing. I'm quite frankly offended you'd attach my good work to that drivel.

McVay was always Minigun McVay. Obviously.

Trampstamp Turner is going to gain some steam here, too. I can feel it.

lol 

hey you can’t score if you don’t shoot. 

3 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

lol 

hey you can’t score if you don’t shoot. 

Unless you're playing golf. Then you want to shoot as little as possible.

I hope Turner turns into One-Putt Turner and not Two-Putt Turner. Both better than Three-Putt though.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Has anyone liked our run game after Morris's rookie year/Mike left?  Our OL had no run game identity.

I think alot of the problem with our run game was the disjointed mindset the worked with. My understanding is that while Gruden was calling the passing plays and Callahan was calling the runs, basically the oline was functioning as its won unit outside of the rest of the offense. And while I can see how that could work with some unity from the play callers and coaches, its been reported that they were not unified at all. In fact they were counter to each other in theory and they did not have the people skills to make it work. Reminds me of the questions I had for you guys earlier, actually. 

I think having one mind running the offense generally speaking will be a benefit. Thats my hope at least. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I think alot of the problem with our run game was the disjointed mindset the worked with. My understanding is that while Gruden was calling the passing plays and Callahan was calling the runs, basically the oline was functioning as its won unit outside of the rest of the offense. And while I can see how that could work with some unity from the play callers and coaches, its been reported that they were not unified at all. In fact they were counter to each other in theory and they did not have the people skills to make it work. Reminds me of the questions I had for you guys earlier, actually. 

I think having one mind running the offense generally speaking will be a benefit. Thats my hope at least. 

Sounds about right. Our OL seemed schizo and has been since Mike reinvented it with mobility prioritized over power. Jay a power guy at heart was asked about it on day 1, and basically said if it ain't broke don't fix it.  Led by Trent we are still carrying the hallmarks of a shanahan mobile OL offense.  Not only does our OL lack a clear identity, our RBs seems a mishmash of styles as well. 

Now while I admit our OL may be no different than others in terms of lacking an identity, I do think it can be improved upon through sticking to an identity and getting the play calling and backs to best fit it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Now while I admit our OL may be no different than others in terms of lacking an identity, I do think it can be improved upon through sticking to an identity and getting the play calling and backs to best fit it. 

Honestly when you say it like that I feel like our entire team could benefit from something like that. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Llevron said:

Honestly when you say it like that I feel like our entire team could benefit from something like that. 

Kiss.... of death. Keep it simple sherlock!  We have seen so many blown coverages on both sides of the ball, I have wondered about things being overly complex. I would swear Callahan's OL was TERRIBLE vs stunts, and have theorized because what our OL were asked to do, was too confusing. Our LBs and DBs point all which way... sure this happens to all teams, but rarely to never seem to happen to OUR benefit, somehow.

I do remember the shanahan mobile OL glory years.... we'd get 150 yards on the ground but we could not push for a yard. In fact we wouldn't or couldn't employ QB sneaks, to the point we would scrap the play for entirety of seasons (or maybe call it once). Meanwhile, Brady with a TE playing guard can hustle to the line on 3rd and a foot and sneak for 4 yards.

But we would never do something as simple as go 4 wide, and then try to sneak.  We go heavy jumbo and run into brick walls. Only for a few games late in 2015 did we go heavy play action in all short yardage, and Kirk and Jordan Reed killed it... and we made the playoffs.

In those playoffs we went back to predictable aka traditional play calling, and lost to Green Bay,

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Seems like a popular young man.

They sure seem to want the young KOC.  

However, McVay, Pederson and McDaniels likely aren’t giving up play calling duties. So it’s a step back in responsibility to what he had at the end of last year. He also doesn’t get to choose his staff like he was supposedly pissed off about with Ron. 

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Unless I'm missing something I'm not sure how this relates to Scott Turner.

My bad.  I edited the post.  The tweet was to show how successful offenses in this league have a lot of PSM and play action built in.  I just kind of took as a given that people knew that was Turner's bread and butter.  I'll re-post some of what Bullock and Keim saw from Turner over the last 4 weeks of the season:

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Llevron said:

I put the blame solely on gruden for the running game failures. First he averaged under 40% run/pass ratio iirc, which is pathetic, then he took a perfectly good 1500 yard per year zbs and ****canned it for his stupid "power" running scheme which was equally good for a 2 yard loss as it was a 2 yard gain.

• Like 1

Cavanaugh succeeded McVay here, though O’Connell succeeded Cavanaugh. So I guess there's a line of succession. O’Connell and McVay never were here together, so it's kind of interesting. I was trying to see who the Rams offensive coordinator was. And I guess the answer is they really didn't have one. I guess it was really McVay, though they nominally had a run game and a pass game coordinator. I know LaFleur left because he didn't get to call plays, so I assume McVay still does it. Not sure if KOC will get that power or not.

Edited by Jericho
  • Like 1

Rhule wants to bring in joe Brady, something I wish the Redskins tried.  Can't believe this is the first we've heard Brady's name as it relates to NFL jobs after two weeks of all these coaching changes.

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-matt-rhule-interested-in-joe-brady-for-carolina-panthers-offensive-coordinator/

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

KOC definitely played his cards right, that's a clear upgrade for him.  I'm glad he didn't go to Philly.  Wish him well.  

43 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Rhule wants to bring in joe Brady, something I wish the Redskins tried.  Can't believe this is the first we've heard Brady's name as it relates to NFL jobs after two weeks of all these coaching changes.

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-matt-rhule-interested-in-joe-brady-for-carolina-panthers-offensive-coordinator/

KOC definitely played his cards right, that's a clear upgrade for him.  I'm glad he didn't go to Philly.  Wish him well.  

I hope he wants to bring in his own RB coach too so RR can hire Jake Peetz as our RB coach.  

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 8:59 PM, RandyHolt said:

I wonder how much Scott will be hating life if we have no run game. Kyle was spoiled having Mikes run game handed to him, to give him a careers worth of play action to live off of. Scott is losing CMC meanwhile we kinda need an overhaul at RB.  Jordan may be the best coach in the league but I don't see it and it will be more him this year. We were told for years Callahan was great, and I never saw that one either. Has anyone liked our run game after Morris's rookie year/Mike left?  Our OL had no run game identity.

I think its going to tough sledding for Scott especially with us taking a DE at 2 and no 2nd rounder. We have to get a TE but I like some of the vet names out there. Starting with Henry.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/tight-end/

Personally, I dont know why every team doesnt copy the Shanahan run scheme.  You get 5 yards a clip every time you give it to whatever jabronie you put back there.  For like 25 years.  But then you get guys like Gruden that insist their offense that gets you a full yard less per carry is better. 

• Like 2

On 1/10/2020 at 7:56 AM, KDawg said:

Unless you're playing golf. Then you want to shoot as little as possible.

Or having unprotected sex while avoiding having a baby.

11 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

All the more reason to pull for the Rams in that division. I really like that team.