Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

Alex Smith is a sunk cost. His position is irrelevant. We will have close to 70 million in cap. We have so much youth that we can actually afford it. Without a QB you got nothing. Ron will make sure he has options.

Ron is not interested in putting all his eggs in the Haskins basket. Not retaining  KOC proved that. That means paying legit money for legit competition. The $5-$8M range guys are the Keenums of the world. I doubt that’s who he wants. 

It’s sunk cost but I’m not sure he wouldn’t prefer to re-sign Scerff, upgrade RT, LB and rebuild the entire secondary.  

I don’t think you could do both of those with quality players AND spend $15M on a QB.

Just a hunch. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Flynn was signed before Wilson was drafted

Correct that’s why I used it as an example to show like Ron Rivera, Pete Caroll plays the best player despite how much they are paid or where they were drafted. Meaning Haskins can still compete regardless of who we sign. It’s a performance based business and competition is a good thing.

Just now, lavar1156 said:

I would try to tag and trade Scherff. Good player but I think we're a few years away from contending. Going with Wes Martin and Flowers might be the better move.

That rarely works on the NFL.  It’s not the intent of the franchise tag really.

And honestly, we’ve had bad luck with the tag in these here parts.  

Stay away.  

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It’s sunk cost but I’m not sure he wouldn’t prefer to re-sign Scerff, upgrade RT, LB and rebuild the entire secondary.  

I don’t think you could do both of those with quality players AND spend $15M on a QB.

Just a hunch. 

No I’m pretty sure he would prefer to have a legit starting caliber QB on the roster besides Haskins.

Edited by SoCalSkins

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

Correct that’s why I used it as an example to show like Ron Rivera, Pete Caroll plays the best player despite how much they are paid or where they were drafted. Meaning Haskins can still compete regardless of who we sign. It’s a performance based business and competition is a good thing.

Agreed.  And there WILL be competition. They will sign a guy or two who can play.  

Because right now they have 2 QBs under contract and one can’t play. 

The question is who can they get at what cost.  Because even if they have CAO room, they have some guys of their own they need to lock up, they have a bunch of holes.  They can’t spend on everything.  

Anyway, this thread has gotten off topic.

3 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

No I’m pretty sure he would prefer to have a legit starting caliber QB on the roster besides Haskins.

I think he’ll want a lot of things.  They question is one of priority, and if they can convince somebody who’s a starting calibre to come here knowing it’s short term. 

Unless they go the entire other direction and move Haskins and draft a new guy to develop and sign a Rivers or something.

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think he’ll want a lot of things.  They question is one of priority, and if they can convince somebody who’s a starting calibre to come here knowing it’s short term. 

Unless they go the entire other direction and move Haskins and draft a new guy to develop and sign a Rivers or something.

Haskins has shown less than Patrick Ramsey did. Gibbs brought in Brunell. I expect Ron to do pretty much exactly the same...

• Like 1

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

I hope he doesn’t trade a 3rd for a QB like Gibbs did.

There will be somebody. Just don’t know the tier.  

If he’s not sold on Haskins and by his words and actions he’s not sold on him, then you want the best available QB at the highest tier as available as an option. It has more impact on wins and losses than anything else he does. Ron know that. 

This is about Ron changing the culture and winning games. It’s not about developing Haskins at all costs. He’s the last regime’s pick as a result of the owner’s meddling at end of the previous culture.

Sitting Haskins sends a strong message that everything is changing. You think you’re Dan’s buddy? Too bad. You sit. That’s how Ron operates.

If anything, Haskins has more to overcome than anyone else. He will be made the example. If he can emerge from that as a leader he will play otherwise he will sit...

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 9:53 AM, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Hopefully. 

But I'm currently proper buzzing off the 'Jack Del Rio will be the new DC and will call plays' part to care about much else! 

That's excited me as much as anything the past 48 hours or so. 

Hail. 

thank god it's not Haslett

8 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

He has to make that decision by early March. That’s when free agency starts. He’s obviously not convinced Haskins is the guy. KOC would be the OC if he planned on rolling with Haskins game 1.

I doubt Haskins can do anything between now and March to change the dynamic. He didn’t even bother to show up for the introductory press conference introducing Ron. 

So Ron has to bring in legitimate competition. Which means paying a QB $15M+ pet year. It would be shocking if he didn’t. That was the Gibbs playbook with Patrick Ramsey and Brunell.

Some of your takes are absolutely ridiculous and you're really going to be up in your feelings when Haskins is rolled out as the starting QB in week 1 of the season.🤣

Edited by arftech
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, arftech said:

Some of your takes are absolutely ridiculous and you're really going to be up in your feelings when Haskins is rolled out as the starting QB in week 1 of the season.🤣

I think people need to get out of this mindset equally as much as SoCal needs to tone down his a touch.

I don't think its debatable that RIvera clearly stated he's not coming in to rebuild. That alone puts an unproven quarterback on thin ice.

But he did improve at the end of the season.

However, was it the combination of O'Connell/Callahan/Gruden that slowed his development? Was their coaching not as good as some may think (especially with KOC)? Or was it Haskins himself that caused the delayed development? Or was it that he learns best by doing?

I think we'll get that somewhat answered in the coming months. 

I do think it's safe to say, though, that Haskins has an equal chance to be the quarterback as he does to not be the quarterback this season. And that's exactly how it should be when a new coach comes in. 

The ball is partially in Haskins court. It doesn't matter if Rivera liked him or not now. Haskins has some time, before Rivera can make any real moves, to prove his worth and get the thought in Rivera's head that he should be the quarterback.

Let's see how this plays out.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Haskins has shown less than Patrick Ramsey did. Gibbs brought in Brunell. I expect Ron to do pretty much exactly the same...

No way ron brings in a high priced veteran to compete with haskins for the job and if he does it'll just be proof that snyder is still meddling.

😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Count me in the 'never convinced on O'Connel' he might be a terrific assistant, but he didn't have enough time to really show much as an OC.  

Scott Turner was one of three names not named Kevin O, that were on my wish list to interview for this position.

I am optimistic about what he can do here.

10 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

He has to make that decision by early March. That’s when free agency starts. He’s obviously not convinced Haskins is the guy. KOC would be the OC if he planned on rolling with Haskins game 1.

I doubt Haskins can do anything between now and March to change the dynamic. He didn’t even bother to show up for the introductory press conference introducing Ron. 

So Ron has to bring in legitimate competition. Which means paying a QB $15M+ pet year. It would be shocking if he didn’t. That was the Gibbs playbook with Patrick Ramsey and Brunell.

OH NO! wait, was he even asked to be there? you present this has a negative on Haskins' part without even knowing the answer to that question.

I believe Ron will bring in another veteran quarterback to give Haskins serious competition.   I am sure Smith would like to be the veteran quarterback to

battle with Haskins but I do not see Smith getting another chance while we pay him another $21 million.   I believe Ron is willing to keep Haskins as the 

number two quarterback but he wants to try to win the first few games and get off to a good start.  He will want the veteran quarterback. 

Keep in mind Ron lost his job due to weak quarterback play after his star quarterback was injured.  Haskins would have to be super dynamic in preseason and beat out whomever he brings in to get the starting job.   Haskins will not start the first game of 2020.  You heard it first here.  Book it Danno.

Edited by veteranskinsfan
fixed line spacing error- change "hear" to "here"
  • Like 1

Just heard on 908 interview with Scott Turner who said his dad will be on the field during the off-season and will be mentoring him.  Ugh.  So will Norv

always be around?  So he will be at Redskins Park.  Will he shake hands again with the Danny?   Will Snyder go to Riverboat Ron and say "You never

told me Norv would be here"?  The Nov years with Skins were painful.  Very interesting that Norv will be around.  Hope everyone is prepared to see

him.  If Ron wanted Norv then he should have hired Norv and let his son come to practices and learn from his dad while we pay his son a much lower coaching salary.

@veteranskinsfan I do think Rivera wants to start fast, probably in large part because it would help show the benefit of the change in culture/staff (not so much for Snyder’s sake, but rather the players, and to a lesser extent, the fans).  I would say though that he’s likely not going to let job security dictate his qb decision making.  

As to the vet qb, I think we go with a decent, but cheaper vet on a 1 year deal.  Wouldn’t be shocked if it’s Keenum, but I’m guessing it’s someone else.  Keenum would have been a lot more expensive last year if not for Denver eating money, but I don’t see him having much of a market this year.  
I think trading for a qb or signing a longer term pricey vet would be a big mistake.  Not only in terms of asset management, but we’d be in that ‘shoot for mediocrity’ boat and therefore make it harder to draft a top qb in 2021.  That’s not mentioning giving up on a high talent guy on a rookie deal.  

• Like 1

The thing about McVay is, he was gone from D.C. way before we really had a complete idea of how good or not he would be.  If you look at his tenure as Rams head coach thus far, I think the media jumped the gun on him being a "guru."  When the Rams got to the superbowl, it was more that they were built like the 49ers are now,  Defense and strong running game.   Where they got exposed later on was once that defense wasn't as dominant and more was asked of the offense to carry the load.  

Kyle Shanahan was more polished and experienced and has the actual pedigree, where as McVay was more of the "new hot shot" kind of coordinator that a GM was willing to give a chance to based out of potential. 

I saw KOC as more of a McVay than a Kyle Shanahan.  And even saying that, KOC's sample size is so small that I find it weird that people are trying to definitively say this is some kind of huge loss. 

That isn't to say that eventually all 3 of these guys won't be great in their own right, but at this moment at time, I don't see an issue with KOC leaving.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, arftech said:

I was impressed by his last 2 games. If he starts game 1 that means he put in the work and did everything right. I would be proud of him for stepping up. That would be the best outcome for the Redskins. The team we are all rooting for. Ron isn’t handing anyone anything. If he earns it, he deserves it. Simple.

• Like 2