Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

My hope is that Turner is operating within what he sees as constraints through lack of talent. Some significant additions needed in the offseason.

I think he's coaching what he's got.  At the beginning of the season there wasn't any proven talent at TE or WR except for McLauren.  It's not possible to have a legitimate downfield offense with only one playmaker.  The upside of this season is that the young players got time on the field and some have really stepped up.  IMO though, the team still needs a #1/#2 quality WR as all of the WRs (not named Mclauren) are complementary pieces.  Ideally, I would like a new slot receiver as Steven Sims didn't really take the step up expected.  He can compete in the offseason and battle for special teams/backup.   So two new WRS and I'd like a new back-up TE too while I'm at it.  It's time to move on from Sprinkle and other hold-overs that can never produce.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

I think he's coaching what he's got.  At the beginning of the season there wasn't any proven talent at TE or WR except for McLauren.  It's not possible to have a legitimate downfield offense with only one playmaker.  The upside of this season is that the young players got time on the field and some have really stepped up.  IMO though, the team still needs a #1/#2 quality WR as all of the WRs (not named Mclauren) are complementary pieces.  Ideally, I would like a new slot receiver as Steven Sims didn't really take the step up expected.  He can compete in the offseason and battle for special teams/backup.   So two new WRS and I'd like a new back-up TE too while I'm at it.  It's time to move on from Sprinkle and other hold-overs that can never produce.  

Agree. Great chance to get a quality mid round RB prospect too. 

I think Scott Turner is a very good offensive coordinator.  He called a conservative game last night against Philly because of Alex Smith's limited mobility.  Hopefully, Smith will have a little more mobility against Tampa Bay.  I'm sure he will need it.  Washington also has limited talent at WR.   

• 7 months later...
13 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

Now that we have some talent at WR and a QB with two good legs, I’m expecting to see something from Turner. I want to see a dynamic offense that can move the ball and score points. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t have faith in this man.

I'm excited to see his offense in motion. He's got the play calling experience under his belt now.

I dont know if AG can be the second coming of RunCMC, but he's bigger and faster. They also never had a WR like Terry.

The potential is certainly there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Florgon79 said:

Now that we have some talent at WR and a QB with two good legs, I’m expecting to see something from Turner. I want to see a dynamic offense that can move the ball and score points. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t have faith in this man.

I'm with ya, maybe we should have the BINGO caller on standby like before? Turner has lots of weapons...no excuses for not averaging 24 points a game. 

• Thumb up 1

Turner certainly does need to prove himself this year. He's got the best NFL's back QB as his starter who has proven he can be dynamic and a ton of speed with a fair amount of proven production as his weapons. We may not be the most loaded team, but we are well above average.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm excited to see his offense in motion. He's got the play calling experience under his belt now.

I dont know if AG can be the second coming of RunCMC, but he's bigger and faster. They also never had a WR like Terry.

The potential is certainly there.

I was encouraged by his first year, but I’ve been awaiting the arrival of a present day offense scheming game to game— meaning the bar was pretty low to start. 

Given the QB play we suffered through last year, if we can progress this offense to average (17th, 16th or 15th in the league), we will have made significant gains!

We have more speed and athleticism than we've seen in a while and a QB willing to push the ball downfield.  I'm less worried about Turner than I am keeping this group together on the field (healthy) and letting them find their stride.  We need a large dose of cohesion this year!

On 8/29/2021 at 10:18 AM, Borgold said:

Turner certainly does need to prove himself this year. He's got the best NFL's back QB as his starter who has proven he can be dynamic and a ton of speed with a fair amount of proven production as his weapons. We may not be the most loaded team, but we are well above average.

Agreed. I actually think we’re right about average, maybe slightly above in terms of offensive talent. So barring any injuries or extreme deviations from the avg, I’m looking at turner as the reason for the offense’s eventual success or failure. 

QB- top 20

WRs- top 16

RB- top 12

TE- top 10

OL- top 16

These ratings are my opinion and obviously debatable. With fantasy football drafts kicking off I have all team depth charts and stats/projections tidied up in a spreadsheet, so there’s a method behind the madness.

Edited by CTskin

1 hour ago, CTskin said:

Agreed. I actually think we’re right about average, maybe slightly above in terms of offensive talent. So barring any injuries or extreme deviations from the avg, I’m looking at turner as the reason for the offense’s eventual success or failure. 

QB- top 20

WRs- top 16

RB- top 12

TE- top 10

OL- bottom 16

Wow, that list is debata--

These ratings are my opinion and obviously debatable.

Oh. Uh....carry on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

20 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Way too insightful there. Feel free to offer yours…

I think your WRs may be a touch low. McClaurin, Samuel (if he plays), Humphries, Thomas, Brown  are probably in the upper third. Your ratings on our running backs feel a bit generous. I think Gibson has potential, but he's still a bit of a question mark. McKissic is a good third down back, but not a killer.  Barber has a role if he stays on the team. Patterson is a wild card if he makes the roster.

5 hours ago, petey hodge said:

OK, I'll ask the uncomfortable question... Is Scott Turner any damn good anyways

Is he a "genius" ... or just the son of goof 'ol Norval?

really.

I don't think we know. My feeling is that he might be okay... he might be steady, but he's not going to change the game or be the next great innovative coordinator to HC prospect. 

15 hours ago, CTskin said:

OL- bottom 16

These ratings are my opinion and obviously debatable. With fantasy football drafts kicking off I have all team depth charts and stats/projections tidied up in a spreadsheet, so there’s a method behind the madness.

Not sure how the OL is bottom 16, but they are your rankings so carry on...

He was a weak coach in Carolina with way better talent to work with, and he was god awful last season.  He's the weakest member of our coaching staff by far.  He's inexperienced and we've gone through growing pains with him.  Hopefully he gets better, and he might.  But it feels like this team won't make the leap to contention until a simultaneous upgrade at OC and QB happen.

We don't have a competitive amount of talent on offense though.  The only position group where we look above average is the OL, but they look good rather than dominant.  The good offenses of the NFL have far better QBs and two or three receivers as good (or better) than Terry McLaurin and have multiple good backs instead of one.  We have some lottery tickets at TE, but they aren't going to pay out this season.  Thin talent and bad coaching is a recipe for a bottom ten offense this season, unless we get some real magic from Fitz and stay improbably healthy in a season where attrition is probably going to be horrible league-wide.

22 minutes ago, Borgold said:

, but he's not going to change the game or be the next great innovative coordinator to HC prospect

I know you said this is your feeling and it could be accurate but I think the book on turner is in chapter one and nobody knows.

He was a quarterbacks coach for Carolina and interim offensive coordinator for the tail end of a lame duck season on a bad team and after that he has one season as an offensive coordinator on a team with horrible quarterbacks and in its infancy of a rebuild during a pandemic.

He hasn't been in an even remotely good enough situation to judge him yet in my opinion. 

At this point I feel he could be anything from the next phenom to a total bust.

This season will help me form a better opinion of his potential. 

• Like 4

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

He was a weak coach in Carolina with way better talent to work with, and he was god awful last season.  He's the weakest member of our coaching staff by far.  He's inexperienced and we've gone through growing pains with him.  Hopefully he gets better, and he might.  But it feels like this team won't make the leap to contention until a simultaneous upgrade at OC and QB happen.

We don't have a competitive amount of talent on offense though.  The only position group where we look above average is the OL, but they look good rather than dominant.  The good offenses of the NFL have far better QBs and two or three receivers as good (or better) than Terry McLaurin and have multiple good backs instead of one.  We have some lottery tickets at TE, but they aren't going to pay out this season.  Thin talent and bad coaching is a recipe for a bottom ten offense this season, unless we get some real magic from Fitz and stay improbably healthy in a season where attrition is probably going to be horrible league-wide.

I'm hoping this happens next year. I would hate to get one and not the other.

15 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Which offenses do you think have “two or three receivers as good (or better) than Terry McLaurin”?  Maybe Tampa, but that’s really it.

I know you’re not as high on him as most, but this is a bit much. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Which offenses do you think have “two or three receivers as good (or better) than Terry McLaurin”?  Maybe Tampa, but that’s really it.

I know you’re not as high on him as most, but this is a bit much. 

Tampa has three that are better than him.  Minny has two.  Buffalo has two.  Arizona has two plus Rondale Moore in the pipeline.  Seattle has two.  Tennessee has two.  Cleveland has two and they're a run first team.  And that's just the here and now.  There are teams like Denver and Cincy and Miami and Dallas and KC and SF who look like they're going to have that level of depth this year.  And other teams have #1 receivers who are better than Terry like New Orleans, Green Bay, Atlanta, and Chicago.

For us to match the level of skill talent that the good offenses field, we have to hope Terry makes the leap to being the All Pro caliber player that this fan base already thinks he is, and that Samuel is an ascending talent on the cusp of making a major leap too.

• Thumb down 1